AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-05-20, 03:56   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

AnimeSuki Summer 2014 Banner Contest - Collaboration/Discussion Thread

Winners Announced! Thanks everyone!

AnimeSuki Summer 2014 Banner Contest

• Theme: Summer
  • Content Requirements: Must contain anime-related artwork, fit the above theme, use background gradient shown below, and meet AnimeSuki's general content guidelines.
  • Technical Requirements: 760 x 100 pixels, JPEG/PNG/GIF (no animation), max 60 KB (61440 bytes)
  • Number of Submissions per entrant: One (1) Two (2)
  • Judging Methodology: User Vote
  • Contest Opening: 20 May 2014
  • Submission Deadline: 25 June 2014
  • Voting Phase: 30 June - 10 July 2014
  • Announcement of Winners: 13 July 2014
  • Duration of Rotation: July to October 2014 (prioritized rotation by votes) (and in the future as well)
  • Background Gradient:

Contest Rules & Policies
  1. All entries must include anime-style artwork/characters, whether the art is official or fan-created. To the extent possible, all artwork must be sourced (see note below).
  2. All entries must reflect the "Summer" theme, or feature the AnimeSuki Mascot Kairin.
  3. All entries must use the background gradient provided above as the base layer for their submission, as this gradient will form the background of the whole top bar of the forum.
  4. All entries must incorporate the "AnimeSuki Forums" title in their artwork, in a legible font. (Your entry should also not incorporate your username or other handle.)
  5. All entries must be static images (no animation) measuring 760 pixels wide and 100 pixels high. Files may be in JPEG, GIF, or PNG format, with a maximum file size of 60 KB (61440 bytes).
  6. Each member may submit two (2) banners and have two (2) posts in the Entry/Submission Thread. If you wish to edit/remove your entry, use the Edit Post option. Any additional posts in the Entry/Submission Thread will be deleted without prejudice or further warning.
  7. All discussion about this contest must occur in the Collaboration/Discussion Thread. The Entry/Submission Thread is only to be used for your submission.
  8. The contest deadlines are reflected in the summary table above. Deadlines shall take effect at 0:00 (12:00am) UTC on each respective day.
    You can also check World Time Server or Time Zone Converter to help you work out what time this is near you.
  9. We may disqualify any banner deemed to be offensive or inappropriate, or that doesn't otherwise seem suitable for use as a Forum Banner.
  10. Contest winners shall be decided through a user voting system, details of which will be announced at vote-time.
  11. All banners submitted shall become property of AnimeSuki and may be used now or in future years without asking your permission.

To test your banner...
We have a tool that will allow you to test the look of your banner to make sure that it will look nice on our Forum. To use, perform these steps:
  1. Upload your banner draft to any online image host
  2. Copy the URL to your banner to the clipboard on your computer (Ctrl+C/Cmd+C)
  3. Click on one of the following links:
  4. Paste the URL to your banner in the "Banner:" box (Ctrl+V/Cmd+V) and press the "Set" button.
Please ensure that your banner blends smoothly to the background gradient on both edges, and that it looks as intended in both colour schemes.

Submission Procedure:
There are two threads for this contest: the Collaboration/Discussion Thread and the Entry/Submission Thread. The Entry/Submission thread is for your final submission only (though you may edit your posts until the contest deadline). For all other discussion and to collaborate with other artists, please go to the Collaboration/Discussion Thread.

We recommend the following:
  1. Review any existing conversation or ask questions in the Collaboration/Discussion Forum to get any relevant clarifications before you begin.
  2. Work on your draft.
  3. Post your draft in the Collaboration/Discussion Thread for feedback from other forum members and artists.
  4. Make revisions to your draft based on feedback received.
  5. Once you're happy with your submission, post it in the Entry/Submission Thread along with the related attributions. (If you need to revise further, just edit your post.)

We strongly recommend that you follow the discussion thread and check-in on your entry from time-to-time throughout the contest to make sure there are no issues or concerns that need to be addressed with your entry. If you just enter an image and then "forget about it", it's possible it may have been disqualified and you'll never know, so please participate in the Collaboration/Discussion thread and at least check-in once before the deadline.

About Sourcing Artwork:
We would ask that all contest entrants include the source of any artwork they incorporated into their design, including if possible the anime franchise and whether it is official art or fan-made (including the name of the artist, if available). If using fanart, we encourage you to ask the original artist for permission if at all possible, but we recognize that this may be difficult in some circumstances.

NOTE: You don't have to link to the URL where the image can be found, so long as you name the series and that it's either official art or fan art (and who the fan artist is, if at all possible).

To all fan-artists and copyright holders: If you see a banner that contains your art and you do not provide permission for it to be used on our Forum or in this contest, please contact the Forum Staff with the related evidence, and we will comply with your request for removal.

Thanks for your participation in this contest, have fun, and good luck!!

This is the Collaboration/Discussion Thread.
Use this thread to ask questions, post drafts and collaborate with fellow artists.
Once your submission is ready, please post it in the Entry/Submission Thread.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2014-07-13 at 01:02.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 04:43   Link #2
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Gonna start this off with some tips I've gathered from previous contests, any additions definitely welcome!

1: Image Optimisation - Exporting from Adobe Photoshop
  1. When exporting your finished product, the easiest way to keep your image quality high and file size low is by using Photoshop's "Save for Web" / "Save for Web & Devices" feature!
    Set your file type to be JPEG, and start off at "Maximum" (100) quality, and start dropping it down 'till you get a good balance between quality and file size.
  2. In the "Save for Web" window, use the "Optimise" (or the "2-Up" or "4-Up") tab to get a good idea of the final product's file size!
    You should find this info below the preview image. It's also a good way of visually comparing your original PSD to the resulting output.
  3. Shave a few more kilobytes!
    1. Turn off "Embed Color Profile" (aka "Embed ICC Profile"). You'll also save yourself from colour output headaches with your banner down the track.
    2. Exclude metadata from the final product! Photoshop does not include metadata when calculating the output file size (in the "Save for Web" window). Change the Metadata dropdown box to "None".
    3. If you're using JPEG, checking the "Progressive" box can also help save a few kilobytes.
  4. If you have Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Fireworks, you can also open your PSD in it and perhaps get an even better file size to quality ratio! (Note: since Fireworks CS6 is the last version, I'm not sure how it compares to Photoshop CC's compression now)
    You'll be using the Optimise tab and the Export Wizard for this. Just be aware Fireworks might not replicate your original PSD perfectly, and be sure to pick "Flatten Photoshop Layers to Single Image" to avoid tearing your hair out.
Images
Examples, click thumbnails to view full image
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

1a: Image Optimisation - Exporting from GIMP
The process is fairly similar to Photoshop's.
  1. File -> Export As...
  2. To make things easy (and to avoid accidentally overwriting your source file), in the Export Image dialog box, click on "Select a file type (by extension)". Select JPEG image, then click on "Export".
  3. In the Export Image as JPEG box, tick "Show preview in image window" for GIMP to calculate an estimate for the final file size.
  4. Leave the "Optimize" and "Progressive" boxes ticked, whilst unticking "Save EXIF data" and "Save "XMP data".

2: Uploading your finished product
  1. Once your banner's been exported, you'll need to post it on the forum and get some feedback. To do that, we'll need an image hosting service to put the banner on for now. imgur will probably give you the easiest time, though there are other good ones out there as well.
  2. Having said that, from personal experience, avoid using TinyPic, as it may very well decide to over-compress your lovely banner into a pixellated mess. Check those file sizes!
  3. Did you know you can also host images on the forum itself? In your User CP, you'll find it under Networking -> Pictures & Albums, and on the Statistics page of your Profile, under Albums.
    It's a sure fire way of ensuring your banner doesn't get mangled or crushed into pixie dust (provided it's under 100KB, which it should be anyway).
    You need to create a new album first, then upload your banner in there. Do be aware that your Profile Privacy settings will affect who will be able to see your posted banner.

3: Testing your banner on the test page
  1. Make sure to test your banner in the test page to make sure it looks good!
  2. The friendly people here can (and most likely will) also help you check for issues with your banner! If you want to make it easier for them, you can append the links to the background gradient and your banner to the test page's URL for easy and quicker testing.
    Source

After you've done that, simply copy and paste the links into your post.
  3. If you decide to host your banner on the forum itself, you may find that using the above technique won't work properly. You'll need to replace the "&" symbol with "%26" in the banner part of the URL.
    Source

4. Misc.
  1. I dislike programming, but if there's one thing I've taken from good practice guidelines, is that you should always keep older versions! An issue may arise in a newer version of your banner, which may force you to revert some changes, or you may wish to take aspects from an older version into a newer version.
  2. Kinda tying in with the above point, but make sure you make backups! There is nothing worse than falling into despair at having lost your hard work because you didn't keep a spare copy on another storage device or cloud storage service.

Adapted from this post. Credit goes to relentlessflame for the tips 1-1 and 1-3a.

Last edited by blaze0041; 2014-05-20 at 05:01.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 10:58   Link #3
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I guess than someone will have to start:

Series: Bungaku Shoujo
Artist Miho Takeoka ( Official artwork)
Old 2014-05-20, 11:16   Link #4
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Wow. That's beautiful, ganbaru. I like how colorful it is.

From what I see after I tested it in the test page, I think the transition of the BG to the gradient needs to be smoother. And I also see a bit of "cut-off" between the BG and the gradient on the bottom right corner, probably because of the the transition I mentioned. I think you should leave a bit more space for the gradient transition on the right side. Oh, also make the text clearer.
Old 2014-05-20, 12:51   Link #5
Bila
*Graphic Designer

I made something, the size still off because it is just a draft.
Well i liked how it turned, just asking for some opinions

Source - Love Live
Pictures - Nico Nozomi Official Art for the Idol Festival Game.

--

And Ganbaru, I have to agree with Ryonea, to make the transition softer give some space to the gradient, to make things easier just copy and paste the gradient in front of the banner and erase some with a soft brush.
Old 2014-05-20, 17:54   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I guess than someone will have to start:
Nice, but the text needs to stand out more.

Remember guys, the text is very important and must not fade out or be too transparent in any entry.
Old 2014-05-20, 19:02   Link #7
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@ Bila, you might want to show a bit more of the left girl's arm, it look more as if the gradient go over the picture than the picture blending with the gradient

Thank for the comments, I reworked the transition toward the gradient and made the text a bit more obvious:
Old 2014-05-20, 19:23   Link #8
Smithsky

Well, I actually made it a year ago (or two, cant remember :P), but the banner contest never came around, so it just sat on my hdd waiting :P My lack of imagination stops me from creating a new one, so I just added gradient and modified banner a bit.

Hit me with all youve got :P (but not too hard). I think there might be a little too much happening, but I don't know, need your opinions
Old 2014-05-20, 20:19   Link #9
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quancio View Post
Well, I actually made it a year ago (or two, cant remember :P), but the banner contest never came around, so it just sat on my hdd waiting :P My lack of imagination stops me from creating a new one, so I just added gradient and modified banner a bit.

Hit me with all youve got :P (but not too hard). I think there might be a little too much happening, but I don't know, need your opinions
This one's a winner, in my opinion. Perhaps you might want to patch up the middle there with some yellow (it's a bit odd seeing legs but no head if you catch my drift ), but I don't think there's much else you need to change.
Looks good in the preview pages too (Beige | Blue).

Ugh. I can't seem to decide which one to continue working on. K-On! has been featured a few times now, so I wanted to try something else, but...

DraftA: Nepgear (+ Uni, Ram and Rom) - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2/Re;Birth2

Official art [1] [2] | Source: Background | Preview: Beige | Blue

DraftB: Ritsu Tainaka - K-ON!

Official art | Source: Background | Preview: Beige | Blue

Self-critiquing a little here... I'm still thinking about my font choice(s), I can think of one that might suit the summer theme a bit better. I still suck at the BG-to-gradient transitions, or at least I'm not quite sure about a more unique transition. Might need to add some blur to the BG in DraftA, and maybe redo the lens flare/bokeh in DraftB. Might be good to add that to DraftA too. Could do with expanding the central area a bit.
Gonna need some help with this - thanks in advance for some C&C!

Last edited by blaze0041; 2014-05-20 at 21:23.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 21:05   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bila View Post
I made something, the size still off because it is just a draft.
Well i liked how it turned, just asking for some opinions

Source - Love Live
Pictures - Nico Nozomi Official Art for the Idol Festival Game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post

I really like these two except, well... It looks strange to me to have blue sky at the top of the inner image part only to have the blue of the gradient at the bottom. It's honestly a bit jarring.

Sorry, but I have to be honest there.

Maybe banner makers could be allowed to flip the gradient colors if they wanted?
Old 2014-05-20, 21:15   Link #11
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe banner makers could be allowed to flip the gradient colors if they wanted?
I guess than it might give some technical issue as some would use the original gradient and other the reversed one .
Old 2014-05-20, 21:32   Link #12
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
I really like these two except, well... It looks strange to me to have blue sky at the top of the inner image part only to have the blue of the gradient at the bottom. It's honestly a bit jarring.

Sorry, but I have to be honest there.

It does make the job just a little bit trickier... you can have a look at the rationale here.
Old 2014-05-20, 21:44   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
It does make the job just a little bit trickier... you can have a look at the rationale here.
Oh, I know. I read it before.

I don't know if its technically feasible to allow banner makers to flip the gradient. If it's not, then well, it's not. But if it is technically feasible to allow that, it might be a good idea. Just a thought.
Old 2014-05-20, 22:15   Link #14
Ichigo-Sora
*Graphic Designer

Nice banners so far!

I made two versions (just featuring different characters), but I'm not really sure which to go with ^^"

Yuno @ Hidamari Sketch | Source

IA @ VOCALOID | Source
Old 2014-05-20, 22:18   Link #15
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo-Sora View Post
Nice banners so far!

I made two versions (just featuring different characters), but I'm not really sure which to go with ^^"

IA @ VOCALOID | Source
They're both really good, but I slightly prefer the top one (the Hidamari Sketch one).
Old 2014-05-20, 23:15   Link #16
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bila View Post
I think the text is a bit too cramped in that narrow space. The red color is also too contrasting with the rest of the image IMO. The transition on the left and the right side also seemed a bit rough but maybe it's because your artwork source are cards. In that case here are some alternative renders. The first is bigger but more grainy while the second one is smaller but much better quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quancio View Post
I agree with blaze, the feet in the middle should be erased IMO you can do this by using clone tool and take the surrounding sands as a sample. You might want to smoothen the scattered red dots on the right side since it creates an invisible "border" to the gradient.

Quote:
DraftA: Nepgear (+ Uni, Ram and Rom) - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2/Re;Birth2

Official art [1] [2] | Source: Background | Preview: Beige | Blue

Self-critiquing a little here... I'm still thinking about my font choice(s), I can think of one that might suit the summer theme a bit better. I still suck at the BG-to-gradient transitions, or at least I'm not quite sure about a more unique transition. Might need to add some blur to the BG in DraftA, and maybe redo the lens flare/bokeh in DraftB. Might be good to add that to DraftA too. Could do with expanding the central area a bit.
Gonna need some help with this - thanks in advance for some C&C!
Same here, I also haven't found a suitable render to use.
Since I've also been playing neptunia games I'd choose the first draft of yours the render also blends more while the Ritsu one is a bit dark, although it can be fixed with some editing. As for BG-to-gradient transition, I think a simple erasing with soft brush is just fine, but you might want to experiment with the angles so it doesn't have to be dead-vertical. Another way is to use brushes or something else to cover that transition.

If you want to use that Ritsu I think she should be shrinked a little and rotate the angle a bit so her neck and shoulder are a bit visible.

Quote:

IA @ VOCALOID | Source
Both are very nice! I prefer the 2nd one.
Old 2014-05-21, 01:50   Link #17
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Aaaaaand in the blue corner, the wonder tag team of Patchy and Hiroi Sekai!

We're kicking it off with our little collab with the anime that literally screams summer, Ano Natsu de Matteru!

Changes to be made still, just an initial take at it. We request C&C if you have any, please!
Old 2014-05-21, 02:40   Link #18
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I see already a lot of nice entries, good work everyone. One thing I recommend, double/triple check the corners, there has to be a perfect blend with the gradient. No signs, no artefacts. Banner and gradient shall become one when they're up there.

Quote:
No, not possible. Everyone should use the same gradient, provided in the first post. Rotating banners with different gradients is not a technical issue but rather a practical one, in the sense that banners' rotation should be smooth but using different gradients it would become (too) noticeable.

It may put some extra challenge to those who wish to use sky in their banner, but we already had a "Sky" themed contest in the past and we really wish to see alternative elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post

Changes to be made still, just an initial take at it. We request C&C if you have any, please!
Did you use a flipped version of the gradient here? Please change it back otherwise it can't be accepted as legit entry.
Old 2014-05-21, 07:11   Link #19
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

what do you guys think
Old 2014-05-21, 08:20   Link #20
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Oh, I know. I read it before.

I don't know if its technically feasible to allow banner makers to flip the gradient. If it's not, then well, it's not. But if it is technically feasible to allow that, it might be a good idea. Just a thought.
As the old adage goes, gotta play the hand you're dealt.

Quote:
Nice banners so far!

IA @ VOCALOID | Source
I'm really liking the way you've used the background image here. I'd say the second one is a touch better due to IA in the foreground blending a little better with the background than the first. Maybe you could fix up the right side of Yuno, because I really like that version too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post
Aaaaaand in the blue corner, the wonder tag team of Patchy and Hiroi Sekai!

We're kicking it off with our little collab with the anime that literally screams summer, Ano Natsu de Matteru!

No issues with the central area- very nice use of blur/depth of field.
Main concerns for me (aside from the gradient, which has already been mentioned), are the decorations (light particles?) on the sides getting chopped off and maybe the text. Might wanna give yourselves a bit more leeway on the sides there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post

what do you guys think
I personally wanna see the faces of these two characters.
You also might want to look into changing up the gradient transition on the left side with a soft brush.

Professor Layton: "Have a Look!"

Alrighty, had a bit of a brain spark in terms of inspiration... it's getting late here, so I made a few quick edits to DraftA:
DraftA r1: BG-to-gradient transition changed using splatter brushes. Added Photo Filter- Warming Filter (85), density 35%. Shifted BG downwards slightly to show a bit of sand. Positioning changes. Text changed from Proxiva Nova to Advert MF and AG Stencil.

Preview: Beige | Blue (Don't forget to use the test page!)

I'm worried that it looks off centre. It's a little tricky to tell on a 24" monitor...
I'm thinking I might need to readjust positions and redo the splatter on the sides too.
For some reason, I like retro-style photos, so perhaps some decorations related to that might be in order. Adding to my worries is the colour output on different screens...