Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-11, 19:21   Link #1
icatero
well, okay

Question good romance anime?

I need a new romance anime/anime movie to help pass the time. I prefer slice-of-life, not some kind of weird setting you'd find in a shounen. It would also be nice if it had good art too. I don't mind if the series is only 10 episodes long; quality over quantity, right?

Anime I loved
Tora Dora
True Tears
NANA
Paradise Kiss
Whisper of the Heart
Ouran High School Host Club
Ranma 1/2
Cardcaptor Sakura

in short: serious, mostly slice-of-life with romance and drama, can also be cute
(note, as you can see some of my favorites do not follow the words above)

Anime I hated
Mahou Sensei Negima
Kannagi
Fruits Basket
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
5 Centimeters Per Second
Lucky Star

in short: fanservicey, too complicated, not very straightforward, waaaay too cutesy (I don't like cutesy chibi art)

Hm, I feel like I'm going to be attacked for not liking 5CPS or TRC, but I just want suggestions here please. :{

So, um, thanks in advance!
Old 2009-08-11, 19:33   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Do you mind inconclusive endings? If not, the best two romance anime I know that aren't on your list are Bokura ga Ita and Kare Kano.
Old 2009-08-11, 19:35   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Honey and Clover is the obvious reccomendation and my pick for best slice of life in recent times. Nodame Cantabile is another great choice.

I'd also reccomend Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances), Maison Ikkoku (By the same author as Ranma 1/2), and Touch. These are older series with not-so-good art, but they're some of the best in the genre, if you can look past their age.

Particularly if you liked Whisper of the Heart, you would almost certainly enjoy Kare Kano. However, I'd advise you to pretend that 11 is the last episode.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-11, 19:43   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Since you like true tears, Kanon and Clannad is similar since they have some romance elements and also alot of drama since Key/VisualArts are known to make tragic story lines (although there are some happy moments, but no fanservice). Also, you will find that the animation in both of these series beautifully done.

ef ~ tales of memories/melodies is also similar to true tears as well, although not a well known anime since it's made by Shaft, but I heard it was done pretty well.
Old 2009-08-11, 19:46   Link #5
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Clannad is an absolute must-watch for you. Go watch it!

Afterwards, try Kanon 2006 and Air.
Old 2009-08-11, 20:17   Link #6
Theowne
耳をすませば

Air is a good anime, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as a romance. The movie, maybe.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-11, 20:17   Link #7
Woodchips
つかれた!

Kanon, AIR and CLANNAD might work for you, but they do have some slight supernatural elements to them. They are far from the focus of the story though.

Both efs would certainly fit your criteria. The first, ef ~ a tale of memories, was done particularly well, in my opinion.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora is a slightly different take on a slice of life anime with a really touching relationship in it.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a more mature look at relationships. A little frustrating at times, but a rather enjoyable anime.

Kimi kiss ~ pure rouge? School-based look at a number of different relationships. Fluffy but enjoyable.

Only maybe scratches in, but Nodame Cantabile anyone? Classical music inspired anime with some great characters and dialogue.

Special A? I didn't like it all that much, but it did have its moments.

5 centimeters per second should be watched to complete your list. Great movie.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:11   Link #8
Olaguer

I'm about to recommend Tora Dora but since you're already watching it then sweet.
You should try watching Special A. It's a good romance anime.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:21   Link #9
Saleh
Inactive

Seconding Kare Kano, Bokura ga Ita, Honey and Clover, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Nodame Cantabile, Clannad. Ef ~ A tale of Memories either end up in your hate list or high on your exceptional anime list. Some viewers find it a bit complicated and since its one of shaft's eccentric animes don't expect it to be too straightforward anime(quite a lot of ef lovers disliked it for first few episodes) . Most powerful scene in the anime use a rather artistic way to express themselves.

You might like Minami ke(Slice of life/Comedy) even though it has little to do with romance. Its one of those rare budget animes in which creators expressly tell the viewers to have very little expectations from the show and yet they manage to make one of the best anime in its genre. You might also like Toki o Kakeru Shoujo and Paradise Kiss(If you liked Nana).
Old 2009-08-11, 22:29   Link #10
velvet nightmare

special A is your cookie cutter standard school life/comedy/romance anime, very straight forward but a fun watch

is either of the ef anime tragedy or love triangle, cant remember
Old 2009-08-11, 22:47   Link #11
JustJohn83

I found Onegai Twins and Can Can Bunny both quite good. XD
Old 2009-08-11, 23:12   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Seconding Maison Ikkoku. Also, I think Cross Game will eventually become a romance- although it's still more slice of life right now.
Old 2009-08-11, 23:27   Link #13
icatero
well, okay

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to go try most of them out. I have heard of Bokura ga Ita (my sister watched it) and will most definitely watch that. Kare Kano and Toki o Kakeru look good too. I'll read/watch Maison Ikkouku too because I used to see ads for that all the time when I was younger.

But if anyone still has more suggestions it's not too late to post them here! I think I'm going to write a big list to finish over the summer, lol.
Old 2009-08-12, 00:00   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

REC is an excellent short romance about a wannabe seiyuu and a junior marketing executive. Saiunkoku Monogatari features a young woman who wants to become her country's first female Imperial official. While she's romantically involved, she also wants to pursue her career.

Another vote for Nodame Cantabile here as well.

You might also enjoy Ristorante Paradiso about a young Japanese-Italian woman working in a restaurant in Rome.
Old 2009-08-12, 00:23   Link #15
mit7059

Honey & Clover, then Honey & Clover II. It's all you need to watch, everything else feels shallow and trivial afterwords.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-13, 00:56   Link #16
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
A personal preference would be:

Clannad and Clannad After Story
Air
Kanon & Kanon 2006
ef A Tale of Memories and ef A Tale of Melodies
Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Byousoku 5 cm; A Place Promised in the Early Days
True Tears
Sola(not much.. a little. got frustrated really)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Next Season
H20 ~Footprints in the Sand~
Old 2009-10-23, 19:22   Link #17
MamoruUsagi

Bokura ga Ita
The Devil Does Exist
Kare First Love
Mars
Kare Kano
Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres
High School Debut
Peach Girl
Paradise Kiss
Marmalade Boy
Happy Hustle High
Ultra Cute
Sailor Moon
Missile Happy!
Absolute Boyfriend

are great romance manga and anime series.
Old 2009-10-23, 20:37   Link #18
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Not quite in the specifications you provided but you could look at Ah! My Goddess. It's more of an 'innocent' romance with the sorta comedic hi-jinks of shows like Bewitched. Episodes are a mix between slice of life and more "magic" based stuff focusing on the "battle" between Heaven and Hell to increase their market share on Earth. It almost steps into the realm of harem at times, but it never quite gets there (character motives, hi-jinks and plot deny it). There is also very very little fan-service, other then one or two outfits/characters, the closest it gets is verbal teasing. Keichi (male lead) has his moments to shine but is fairly timid (but considering who he has to live with I think most people would be intimidated too.)

Another one you could (almost) consider romance is Full Metal Panic. Although mostly mercenary stuff (mecha too) the romance stuff in it I found to be pretty good. Although takes two seasons to get there (first season is fairly comedy, second is a bit darker). Really needs a 3rd season though... if they ever do it should cement the main characters relationship a bit.

For the more serious romance tear jerker stuff I really like Clannad, It's pretty damn sad at points.

Tags
shounen, shoujo, anime, romance, slice of life