AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-10, 16:27   Link #481
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett
She dumped her child on the grandma that disowned her to go on a midnight flit.

That's pretty much "terrible mother" stamp right there.
Spoiler for Ohana's mum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo
Spoiler:
Spoiler for About the papers:

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-10 at 18:13.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 17:10   Link #482
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Spoiler for About the papers:
I guess we find out how far Grandma REALLY stretches the *Customer First, Employee at the very last* idea. Cause you know, logically that would make it quite natural to allow the author to write erotica about her employees.

(Hmmm, I wonder who Taro ships with who...)
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 17:12   Link #483
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I caught the first episode well before coming across the withering comments that compare this series to K-drama, so I was actually surprised that people felt that way. I'm heavily biased against K-drama and Taiwanese drama, not because of the soppy sentimentality I typically associate with such shows, but rather because of the formulaic claptrap upon which most such stories are based.

In contrast, my immediate impression of Hanasaku Iroha was overwhelming good. More to the point, even if I hadn't found the premise promising, I would still have been blown away by the tremendous quality of its art and animation.

Everything is so pretty, it's hard to tear my eyes away from the screen.

So, perhaps I'm too dazzled to pick up whatever is supposedly cliched about the story so far through Ep2. On the basis that there's nothing really original any more, just better (or worse) spins of the same old yarns, I would say that, yes, the situations in which Ohana finds herself are indeed very familiar, especially if you've been indulging in a bit too much TV.

But I like how sharply observed everyone's behaviour is — from their speech patterns to their idiosyncratic mannerisms. It's a delight to watch.

That said, this is cut-and-dry drama as far as I can tell. Expertly crafted to tug at heartstrings, but for it to generate all that discussion and angst over comparative cultural studies...? Can't say I'm not amused, in ways both pleasant and sarcastic.

If Hanairo gets its own sub-forum, take note that I'm the first to call it.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 17:13   Link #484
Irisiel

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 17:17   Link #485
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
On Ohana not being "considerate", I got the impression that the translator was using the older definition of "considerate" rather then the more common modern usage.

Taken directly from a dictionary, most of us probably think of this definition:

1. showing kindly awareness or regard for another's feelings, circumstances, etc.: a very considerate critic.

However, I think the intended definition was as follows (also taken from the same dictionary):

2. carefully considered; deliberate.
3. marked by consideration or reflection; deliberate; prudent.

And while Ohana is clearly the first definition of considerate, I think it reasonable to accuse her of not being considerate in the second or third definition.

That's what I assumed everyone meant when she was labeled as "not considerate".
No, it was the first definition. She was described as "kuuki ga yomenai" (unable to read the atmosphere, i.e. take a hint about how other people are feeling, etc.).
Old 2011-04-10, 17:21   Link #486
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Excellent episode. I'm liking Ohana more and more. The visuals of both the OP & ED are beautiful, but the songs are meh. However, the song on the radio when Ohana was in the van with Tohru was actually pretty nice, lol.

I know Tohru seems like a jerkwad, but there is some validity in his words towards Ohana. (His attitude towards Minko, however, is just unacceptable -- no matter how ill-mannered/lacking in skill she may be. Don't give important tasks to people who don't have the expertise. That's just common sense.) I also really liked the Grandmother's disposition in this episode. She may be strict, but it doesn't get in the way of her wisdom and better judgment; "Madam Manager" knew that something was funky about pervy writer dude. She was probably just waiting for the right moment to have an excuse to get rid of him. I can't wait to see what her reaction to the content of his ero-writing will be.

I hope nothing bad happens to Ohana. If he does ANYTHING to her, someone needs to swiftly kick that loser right in the balls.
Old 2011-04-10, 17:26   Link #487
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan
I hope nothing bad happens to Ohana. If he does ANYTHING to her, someone needs to swiftly kick that loser right in the balls.
Although maybe we're all worrying a bit too much. We had some clear demonstration of what Ohana can do, and I definitely would not like to be the object of her anger:

Spoiler for Image:

All a case of fantastic foreshadowing, most certainly!
Old 2011-04-10, 17:57   Link #488
cyth
Banned

Spoiler for episode 02:
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 17:57   Link #489
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Glad Ohana called Minko on her telling people to die. It is a pretty terrible thing to tell a person.

Also, I also get the impression that the Grandmother knew it was a waste of time to look for his "script," thus not making Ohana shift through the trash.

Also, cliff-hanger ending, but next episode preview seems to indicate she will be fine.

--

As for Ohana's mother, I see her interaction with her daughter as: "I know I'm a bad mother, so I'll accept the punishment."

I still dislike her, but at least she isn't a total b*tch.
Old 2011-04-10, 18:03   Link #490
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
No, it was the first definition. She was described as "kuuki ga yomenai" (unable to read the atmosphere, i.e. take a hint about how other people are feeling, etc.).
Huh, really? I guess I can see that, but inconsiderate still isn't a very accurate translation then.

"Oblivious" would be a better word. Or maybe "lacking in conscientiousness" or "lacking in awareness".

Which I can see. Ohana often has good intentions but is oblivious to subtext. There were signs for Ohana that would have helped her avoid her mistakes- although to be fair they were pretty subtle.

In my opinion being a hard worker is more important as awareness is easier to train someone in.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 18:06   Link #491
Xacual

Honestly it seems like Minko isn't learning too well from the kitchen staff, thoughts on Ohana coaching her instead? At least that's the thought I got from this episode that it will happen later once they get closer.

I liked the second episode a lot, especially the scene where Ohana serves the "punishment food." Had me laughing at her expression + crossed arms.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 18:19   Link #492
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Huh, really? I guess I can see that, but inconsiderate still isn't a very accurate translation then.

"Oblivious" would be a better word. Or maybe "lacking in conscientiousness" or "lacking in awareness".

Which I can see. Ohana often has good intentions but is oblivious to subtext. There were signs for Ohana that would have helped her avoid her mistakes- although to be fair they were pretty subtle.

In my opinion being a hard worker is more important as awareness is easier to train someone in.
Yeah I can't say I'm huge on CR's translation for this show; I'm all for taking liberties and dynamic equivalence (in fact I'm vehemently against overly literal translations) but I feel on many lines it takes liberties that it doesn't have to. That is to say, the line could be translated closer to the Japanese meaning but still sound like natural English.

Spoiler for Slight digression:
Old 2011-04-10, 18:37   Link #493
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Episode 1 was a touch of class nicer, but this follow up episode was still very, very good. I'll give it a 9/10.

I really, really loved how Ohana confronted the two girls on how they've been treating her. It's really nice to see a proactive lead meet the challenges in front of her. She's a rather likable character, that doesn't give up immediately. She gives it all her effort.

I hope both this series and Steins;Gate get a subforum, they're both the best shows of the season thus far.

Yeah, I pretty much have nothing but praise so far.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:04   Link #494
coolhorsems

Here comes again, Hina sucks with 4 guys~~

coolhorsems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:17   Link #495
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What’s with all this mom was bad because she sent Ohana to live with her granny? IF she took her with her, Ohana wouldn’t exactly walking the path to anything worthwhile for her. “Disowned” doesn’t mean she’s not her daughter, or Ohana isn’t her granddaughter; it’s just a matter of acknowledgment. Also, given current information, a lot of you are jumping on the “bad parent” wagon far too easily. We saw barely anything. The whole “she cooks and cleans a lot,” doesn’t mean her mother did absolutely nothing. Her mother wasn’t exactly portrayed as a lardass watching Tv all day and forcing Ohana to do the chores. Ohana also doesn’t hate her mother, at all!
Old 2011-04-10, 19:41   Link #496
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Yeah I can't say I'm huge on CR's translation for this show; I'm all for taking liberties and dynamic equivalence (in fact I'm vehemently against overly literal translations) but I feel on many lines it takes liberties that it doesn't have to. That is to say, the line could be translated closer to the Japanese meaning but still sound like natural English.

Spoiler for Slight digression:
Yeah, I noticed that too.

I've also seen it in some other anime too. Baka being translated as "What do you mean", and stuff like that.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:47   Link #497
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Glorious 2nd episode. Beautiful music when Ohana tried to connect with the girls !!
I don't want to talk to much of it cause I don't feel I need to.

The end is a bit creepy, though...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:50   Link #498
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What’s with all this mom was bad because she sent Ohana to live with her granny? IF she took her with her, Ohana wouldn’t exactly walking the path to anything worthwhile for her. “Disowned” doesn’t mean she’s not her daughter, or Ohana isn’t her granddaughter; it’s just a matter of acknowledgment. Also, given current information, a lot of you are jumping on the “bad parent” wagon far too easily. We saw barely anything. The whole “she cooks and cleans a lot,” doesn’t mean her mother did absolutely nothing. Her mother wasn’t exactly portrayed as a lardass watching Tv all day and forcing Ohana to do the chores. Ohana also doesn’t hate her mother, at all!
She could just stay with her daughter and let that loser boy friend of her run away from the loan shark for all he can. I dont recall that she cosign the debt with him so they have no reason to run away. Biological, Ohana is her mother daughter and grandchild of the old hag that run the inn. But If the grandmother disowns her daughter, then it most likely that she wont like the her grandchild at all. And for the record, not all people have that same reaction but on average and Asian wise, that is most likely the case. It is irrelevant to whether Ohana hates her mother or not. She still is a horrible mother given what has been shown.
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 20:27   Link #499
ZODDGUTS

Didn't she also call her mother worthless in ep 1? She also was rather happy that she was getting away from her mother to go to live another place away from her mother. Goes to show how much of a mess and a stress her mother was to Ohana. Feel bad for her having a mom like that.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 20:35   Link #500
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
She could just stay with her daughter and let that loser boy friend of her run away from the loan shark for all he can. I dont recall that she cosign the debt with him so they have no reason to run away.
You do know how a loan shark operates, right? A loan shark wouldn't care that you didn't specifically cosign for a loan, only that you were connected closely enough to the individual who owed them money to go after.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life