AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-08, 23:34   Link #421
OkamiNoKaze

Not when she got her powers, her birthday
Old 2009-11-08, 23:43   Link #422
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Not when she got her powers, her birthday
Well, if you believe Koizumi, it should be the same day (not that he believe in himself there).

But this is a interesting point. For some reason, many slice of life animes celebrates a lot of things. But rarely the birthday. This is even stranger for Haruhi, as the novels have shown about a year alredy, with at last one event by month (not every month, tough).

I am am going to guess, I would say April, Ouctuber and September, as that were the months "skipeds". April is an odd case. Kyon narrate, fastly what happens in that month, but he wasn't friends with Haruhi already. The newer book is set in april, but as it don't have an end, we might (even if improbable) see something in the 10th book.

My best guess would be September. As absolutelly nothing happens in that month. It is almost as Tanigawa was saving it for something

All of these also works for Kyon. I am sure Haruhi would want to celebrate his birthday.

As a curiosity, Kyon tries to tell Haruhi his in Bamboo Leaf Rapsody. But she cut him off.
Old 2009-11-09, 02:13   Link #423
OkamiNoKaze

Since her name has connections to spring time, I'm going to guess April as well, April 1 would fit her well, mostly likely during golden week, would be my guess.
Old 2009-11-09, 02:18   Link #424
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Since her name has connections to spring time, I'm going to guess April as well, April 1 would fit her well, mostly likely during golden week, would be my guess.
...but Golden Week is from April 29 to May 5. No April 1. Also, April 1 don't fit with the 9th Novel, as it is placed after it. Also, April 1 isn't the first school day?

Someday in the Golden Week is a nice guess, tough.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-11-09 at 02:30.
Old 2009-11-09, 02:21   Link #425
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

This would make Haruhi a fair bit older than many of her classmates, then.
Old 2009-11-09, 02:30   Link #426
Heatth

Or a bit younger right? At last it is how it works here in Brazil: You enter in the grade proper for the age you have in the first half of the year. So, if you born before June, you will be in the younger half of the class, if after, in the older half. Not sure if Japan is the same, of course, but I would assume so, since our School Year start more or less in the same time.

At last England's starts at September right? So teached me Harry Potter. It is the same in US and/or Canada?
Old 2009-11-09, 03:30   Link #427
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
All of these also works for Kyon. I am sure Haruhi would want to celebrate his birthday.

As a curiosity, Kyon tries to tell Haruhi his in Bamboo Leaf Rapsody. But she cut him off.
I'm almost certain that Haruhi would find some tsundere way to celebrate Kyon's birthday. Something along the lines of: "Look, I know it's your birthday, so it's only polite that I get you something. It's not much, so don't get the wrong idea. By the way, when my birthday comes around, you better believe that your getting me something ten times nicer than what I got you!"

This all followed by a "yare yare" from Kyon.
Old 2009-11-09, 04:01   Link #428
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Or a bit younger right? At last it is how it works here in Brazil: You enter in the grade proper for the age you have in the first half of the year. So, if you born before June, you will be in the younger half of the class, if after, in the older half. Not sure if Japan is the same, of course, but I would assume so, since our School Year start more or less in the same time.
I'll look it up... I should know this...

Quote:
At last England's starts at September right? So teached me Harry Potter. It is the same in US and/or Canada?
Yup. School starts in fall, and the cutoff date is January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
I'm almost certain that Haruhi would find some tsundere way to celebrate Kyon's birthday. Something along the lines of: "Look, I know it's your birthday, so it's only polite that I get you something. It's not much, so don't get the wrong idea. By the way, when my birthday comes around, you better believe that your getting me something ten times nicer than what I got you!"
This is such classic tsundere.

"Female lead gives male lead something obviously prepared specially for him, all the while insisting she just had it lying around."
Old 2009-11-09, 10:36   Link #429
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post

This all followed by a "yare yare" from Kyon.
I know, it what I meant. Kyon's birthday must not be in a period covered in story, because otherwise Haruhi would have celebrated it. (not sure how she would have discovered, but I am sure seh does, in a way or another.)
Old 2009-11-09, 10:45   Link #430
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I know, it what I meant. Kyon's birthday must not be in a period covered in story, because otherwise Haruhi would have celebrated it. (not sure how she would have discovered, but I am sure seh does, in a way or another.)
The novels to date collectively cover a full year of chronology, don't they? So... Kyon's birthday must have been passed over.

Also, if Haruhi celebrates Kyon's birthday, she's going to do so for Itsuki, Mikuru, and Yuki as well. She would definitely consider it unfair to celebrate one SOS member's birthday, but not every member's birthday. And since no birthdays have been celebrated...

I guess that birthdays just aren't a big deal to Haruhi.
Old 2009-11-09, 10:49   Link #431
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Honestly, I would've put my money on Kyon sharing Tanigawa's birthday. However, I'm gonna go with "Kyon and Haruhi have the same birthday," just because it'd be funny.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-09, 10:51   Link #432
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The novels to date collectively cover a full year of chronology, don't they? So... Kyon's birthday must have been passed over.

Also, if Haruhi celebrates Kyon's birthday, she's going to do so for Itsuki, Mikuru, and Yuki as well. She would definitely consider it unfair to celebrate one SOS member's birthday, but not every member's birthday. And since no birthdays have been celebrated...

I guess that birthdays just aren't a big deal to Haruhi.
No, even if the novels spaned for over an year, there are still some months that weren't covered. September specially, as don't have any event in there. There is also Octuber (sport festival, but only in flashback). April is a bordline case, it was shown in two books, however, in the first it was skiped, with only a narration telling that nothing had happened. In the last book no birthday was mentioned, but th book will be continued in the 10th, so there is still a chance.

PP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Honestly, I would've put my money on Kyon sharing Tanigawa's birthday. However, I'm gonna go with "Kyon and Haruhi have the same birthday," just because it'd be funny.
They 3 could share the same birthday right?
Old 2009-11-09, 10:56   Link #433
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Hm... if Wikipedia is to be trusted(which it probably isn't), Tanigawa was born on December 19th... yeah, I don't think that'd be Haruhi's birthday.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-11-09, 10:58   Link #434
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
No, even if the novels spaned for over an year, there are still some months that weren't covered. September specially, as don't have any event in there. There is also Octuber (sport festival, but only in flashback). April is a bordline case, it was shown in two books, however, in the first it was skiped, with only a narration telling that nothing had happened. In the last book no birthday was mentioned, but th book will be continued in the 10th, so there is still a chance.

PP:

They 3 could share the same birthday right?
You're presuming, Heatth, that Tanigawa is going to go back in time and add in new stories for the less eventful months. I think that's unlikely. He seems to be finished with such a jump ahead - jump back - jump ahead again approach, going by the straight-forward chronology going from Novels 7 to 9.

Consider that even the anime has gone to great lengths to get everything into a nice, coherent chronology, with the 28 episodes of 2009. I think that it's highly unlikely that any time period pre-Disappearance is going to get new stories.

Haruhi celebrating a SOS member's birthday might make for a good fanfic, but I doubt it will happen in the canon.
Old 2009-11-09, 11:04   Link #435
Heatth

Quote:
Hm... if Wikipedia is to be trusted(which it probably isn't), Tanigawa was born on December 19th... yeah, I don't think that'd be Haruhi's birthday.
Oh. I guess he make other date after it.

Quote:
You're presuming, Heatth, that Tanigawa is going to go back in time and add in new stories for the less eventful months. I think that's unlikely. He seems to be finished with such a jump ahead - jump back - jump ahead again approach, going by the straight-forward chronology going from Novels 7 to 9.

Consider that even the anime has gone to great lengths to get everything into a nice, coherent chronology, with the 28 episodes of 2009. I think that it's highly unlikely that any time period pre-Disappearance is going to get new stories.

Haruhi celebrating a SOS member's birthday might make for a good fanfic, but I doubt it will happen in the canon.
He have back in time before. Many times, actually, all the books original order (in the magazine) make no sense. And wasn't we discussing in another thread he might add more things to the first year to make it more 'eventful'?

Besides, I never said he was going to show the birthday of the first year. He is in the second already, and he can do that for this year. Even if Haruhi have never celebrated, placing then in the skiped months are also important because Kyon never mentioned, not even in a short sentence (as he has done to other things that shown up latter).
Old 2009-11-09, 11:08   Link #436
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

He have back in time before. Many times, actually, all the books original order (in the magazine) make no sense. And wasn't we discussing in another thread he might add more things to the first year to make it more 'eventful'?
I read that discussion, but I didn't contribute to it. The reason being that it's simply not going to happen, and I couldn't fathom why people were even considering it - it's just not going to happen after the anime actually re-aired 2006 episodes alongside new 2009 episodes just for the sake of getting everything into nice chronological order.

Tanigawa isn't going to go back and mess that whole effort up by writing stories that take place within that time frame. If Tanigawa was going to write new stories within that older time frame, then this year would have been the time to do it; to avoid having to use E8 eight times over.

Quote:

Besides, I never said he was going to show the birthday of the first year. He is in the second already, and he can do that for this year. Even if Haruhi have never celebrated, placing then in the skiped months are also important because Kyon never mentioned, not even in a short sentence (as he has done to other things that shown up latter).
You're right here. I doubt it, but it might happen for the future year to come in the Haruhi chronology.
Old 2009-11-09, 12:35   Link #437
Heatth

Quote:
I read that discussion, but I didn't contribute to it. The reason being that it's simply not going to happen, and I couldn't fathom why people were even considering it - it's just not going to happen after the anime actually re-aired 2006 episodes alongside new 2009 episodes just for the sake of getting everything into nice chronological order.

Tanigawa isn't going to go back and mess that whole effort up by writing stories that take place within that time frame. If Tanigawa was going to write new stories within that older time frame, then this year would have been the time to do it; to avoid having to use E8 eight times over.
You are probably right here, yeah. I would say the authors rarelly bother with what the animation team is doing... However, this don't seen to be the case with Suzumiya Haruhi, as he more then once was part of the staff.

Quote:
You're right here. I doubt it, but it might happen for the future year to come in the Haruhi chronology.
I don't think it is a huge probability either. However, the fact that Kyon's birthday was mentioned in story at last once is enough to me to think that it might be important latter.
Old 2009-11-09, 12:54   Link #438
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

The entire brigade's birthdays were mentioned in that conversation.

... except maybe Koizumi's...
Old 2009-11-09, 12:57   Link #439
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
The entire brigade's birthdays were mentioned in that conversation.

... except maybe Koizumi's...
Koizumi's birthday is October 11th.

Source
Old 2009-11-09, 13:13   Link #440
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

That's so wrong, yet I can't help but laugh.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters