AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-11-17, 19:45   Link #101
Knightmare213

Some of the retail stores, like the BestBuy store in the middle of Toronto Downtown gave out one-hundred tickets so that additional people wouldn't have to line up.

Hoepfully with that, there will be no shooting for the Wii if the stores give out tickets to the people who lined up for Wii.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 21:20   Link #102
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Yea, people should just lay back a little bit. New, expensive consoles in the market. Big deal. I also read that some kid got beaten up, by a person behind him in the line, simply because the kid got the last console.

Come to think of it, perhaps *I* should start importing those consoles and rip off the fanboys. Business is business after all and if someone is willing to pay 1.000 € of some silly console, all the better for me.
Don't get arrested ;O
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 23:25   Link #103
Knightmare213

http://smashmyps3.com

Suddenly, this became one of my favoured site ever.

As the URL address suggests, the site owners (couldn't think of another term) bought a PS3 after waiting in a line for days (I think) and smashed the living crap out of the PS3 and completely destroyed it.

And I'm glad that they destroyed that poor PS3.

Today, someone was shot, people became the victims of a drive-by (with a BB gun), a man was trampled, and many foolish acts to get a $600 game system.

What the video viewers, including the fanboys of PS3, should get the message that these things are expendable. So what if the guys of smashmyps3.com trashed one? There will be millions of other units that will fill its place.

Believe me, video games are not even close losing your life over it. It's not worth qutting your job for it, as someone had in the States, nor bleeding for it literally.

So what if you can't get it today or next month? Sony's still making them and they will until they develop a next-gen system in five or more years.

So please...wait for it, buy it on your local retail store (and not on eBay as the top price for PS3 I know as reached $10,000) and play responsibly.
Old 2006-11-18, 01:50   Link #104
Slayerx

On a blog, someone said that they talked to 100 campers and found that only 1 was actually gonna keep their PS3, the rest were gonna sell on ebay... the money grubing greed is just so damn disgusting...

Grant it, i just wish i could really understand the minds of those who would actaully buy a PS3, or most any consoule, at launch... esspecially those who would pay 3-4 times the original amount... honestly, the idiocy...

When you consider the costs, the lack of good lauch titles, the possibility of hardware issues and so forth... there is NO reason to want to buy a PS3 at launch... atleast not when it means either camping out for days, or paying 3-4 times more.... What the hell is going through their minds!?

i myself, may consider getting a PS3 a year or so from now...
If they would just have even a bit of patience they could have so much more for so much less... wait a month or two, and you can buy one at normal price without camping... Wait a few more months, and you can buy a console with a decent selection of games... wait about a year, and you my even start see price drops; also by this time, the any hardware issues will be fixed... not to mention it will probably be another year or so before HDTV's and Blue-ray Movies start become cheaper and more common place, thus allowing you to get the most out of the system... As it stands, buying one now gets you a system that's really only like half as good as it maybe in the future...

Not to mention, that one good thing about the PS3's price is that it should by all means cost a lot more for that kind of a machine... If your gonna fork over $2000+ for the damn thing then you could just buy a nice high end PC, which would in turn also have more functions and possibilties...

Ah, this whole fiasco over the PS3 launch is an example of both idocy and greed at it's finest...

Quote:
From this, someone got shot trying to get his own PS3, a pregnant mother ignored her contractions to get one, three PS3 campers were robbed, one used his engagement ring money for his girlfriend but spent it for his own unit ("Stupid!" was the first word that came of out my mouth), and two gunmen robbed a retail store and stole 15 PS3s.
The Pregnat Mother is the one that gets me the most... a PS3 or the few thousands of dollars you could make seeling one does not even come close to excusing what she's doing...

Th kid who got shot... well, gotta give him some benefit of the doubt... i mean, didn't he really think that things would get THAT bad...

Well, if he's planning to sell it on ebay, then that guy may very well be able to buy a much fancier ring for his girlfriend... he's no different than the rest of those greedy whores... ofcourse, if he did just sacrifice the ring to get a game system, then he is indeed an idiot...

hey, those two gunman make the most sence out of any of this... most of those ebay campers are camping just to make about a few thousand bucks... those guys are probably just gonna seel all those units and make about 20-30 grand... Sure they risked going to jail, but they were probably the type of guys who would also rob a jewlery store if they saw it as an easy enough target... but when it comes down to it, a retail store is probably an easier and less guarded target...

Quote:
And Jack Thompson doesn't have much of a case for launch-day antics
True... launch day antics could probably be best compared to stuff like sports riots... and god knows sports riots have done much worse

Meh... not that great imo...
without the "OMG what have you DONE!? Are you INSANE!?" reactions from campers... it really doesn't do much
Mihgt have been more effective if they could have somehow pulled it off a day or two sooner... Plus, i think they could have been a bit more imaginative than using a sledge hammer; i just don't feel the impact... I'm not sure what, but i'm sure they could think of something with sometime... for a second i was thinking chainsaw or something, but that would probably be a bit too dangerous with flying debis and all
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 02:00   Link #105
Lebron
I hear voices

So my Roommate got his PS3 today, and we've been playing almost all day. Been switching between 360 and PS3, and school work. He just got Resistance FOM, and an extra controller. He got the 60GB version, so those 2 addons were enough for one day.

For all in all, Resistance is a pretty fun game. Alot better than I thought, sure its not the best graphics out there, but still fun nontheless. We've probably had one freeze up, but thats about it. We haven't tried the Online aspect yet, so can't really comment on that.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 02:12   Link #106
Papaya
Sup

To be honest, I've never liked Resistance from the day I saw the first trailer.

While the setting is very unique, the enemy AI looks absolutely abominable. It barely reacts when you shoot it. AI routines are limited to hiding behind cover. There's no strategy employed by the AI. Only tactics. I hate games in which the enemy just shoots at you, strafes a bit, and shoots again. It seems very unnatural.

There's been a lot of talk about the weapons as well. While they are imaginative, to me they look to lack polish. When I say polish, I mean they just don't seem finished. They're very stiff. They're not very fluid. The effects are sorta iffy. Compare that to a game like Gears of War, where every weapon is polished to a shine. Animations are perfect, effects are perfect.

And Lebron, since you've obviously had the chance to play both Resistance and Gears of War, what are your thoughts on comparisons?
Old 2006-11-18, 02:30   Link #107
Lebron
I hear voices

Well I wouldn't really want to make that comparison. They are both 2 different types of shooters, and have 2 different types of overall mechanics. Where as Resistance is just a run and gun, GOW is more of a tactical stop and pop. However, when I played Resistance I didn't get the wow factor I got when I first popped in GOW. But to be fair, GOW puts many of shooters to shame, so thats a real high hill to climb over.

Some of the negatives I would of mentioned you pretty much have already stated. But the A.I. really does need some touching up. There really isn't a challenge when you kill an enemy. I mean it sometimes just felt too easy. Iono maybe it was just me, but that really was a buzz kill. The weapons are well thought out, you can get the R&C vibe from alot of them, but yea like you said it just feels off. Its like they through them in there, and just left it alone. For instance, when you play a game like RB:6 or GOW, when your firing the weapon, reloading, aiming, etc, it all just feels right. Its kind of almost like the gun is actually real, and you feel like your actually firing. Iono again maybe that was just me.

Then the overall feel, it had its heart pump moments, but mostly it was kind of average. Nothing that really stood out on its own. I'm sure as we get further along that will change, cuz I've seen some vids of some levels that look like they could be really intense.

I think the games really main drive doh, is the Multiplayer. Sadly we haven't been able to try that out yet, so I can't really comment. But from what I've seen, the MP looks like alot of fun.

From what I've played so far, I still would give Gears of War the edge. But I'm not bashing Resistance at all either. Consdiering this is Insomniac's first FPS and it is a Launch title, its pretty impressive for the most part.

Last edited by Lebron; 2006-11-18 at 02:46.
Old 2006-11-18, 03:56   Link #108
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
On a blog, someone said that they talked to 100 campers and found that only 1 was actually gonna keep their PS3, the rest were gonna sell on ebay... the money grubing greed is just so damn disgusting...

Grant it, i just wish i could really understand the minds of those who would actaully buy a PS3, or most any consoule, at launch... esspecially those who would pay 3-4 times the original amount... honestly, the idiocy...

When you consider the costs, the lack of good lauch titles, the possibility of hardware issues and so forth... there is NO reason to want to buy a PS3 at launch... atleast not when it means either camping out for days, or paying 3-4 times more.... What the hell is going through their minds!?

i myself, may consider getting a PS3 a year or so from now...
If they would just have even a bit of patience they could have so much more for so much less... wait a month or two, and you can buy one at normal price without camping... Wait a few more months, and you can buy a console with a decent selection of games... wait about a year, and you my even start see price drops; also by this time, the any hardware issues will be fixed... not to mention it will probably be another year or so before HDTV's and Blue-ray Movies start become cheaper and more common place, thus allowing you to get the most out of the system... As it stands, buying one now gets you a system that's really only like half as good as it maybe in the future...
While I completely agree with you on the wait a bit rather than rush and get it right away at launch argument, if too many people thought like this, and considering how much money Sony must have had to blow to make the system, wouldn't that cause Sony to lose tons of money which in turn would cause them not to have the funds to bring out more games in the future and possibly be in serious danger financially??
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 09:22   Link #109
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Maybe. Is that a problem?
Old 2006-11-18, 09:26   Link #110
Cloudy

Things were peaceful during the launch day for PS3 in Japan and shit happens in America!Hope the wii launch will be peaceful.
Old 2006-11-18, 13:27   Link #111
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

lots of Darwin Awards were handed out.

Quote:
Things were peaceful during the launch day for PS3 in Japan
I heard different.

Quote:
the assumption the guy is making is kinda pitiful, I'd do it to if it meant help whatever financial problems i had
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 15:08   Link #112
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
Things were peaceful during the launch day for PS3 in Japan and shit happens in America!Hope the wii launch will be peaceful.
Far from it.

When Japanese retail store, called Bic store IIRC, started to sell their units, they had to deal with the crowd who lined up to buy one (but not for themselves as many of them were Chinese, some elders, hired by high-class Japanese businessmen), and the object that was involved keeping them under control was with megaphones and such.

And believe me, the cops were called to the scene to keep the people back after fifteen minutes of Japanese launch.

Does that sound peaceful for you?

Also, I think the PS3 launch was a failure instead of success.

Uhh...no. I'm not high or on something.

Not only Sony is actually losing money because of PS3, but look at the chaos it caused here and in Japan. Some people were hurt and Sony's reputation would have been damaged severely if someone was actually killed while waiting in line for his/her brand new PS3. Or at least the retail stores' reputation for not managing the crowd very well.

Let me add one more thing: whether people don't want to accept this or not, I don't think the price of PS3s, both models, will ever go down. Repeating what I said, Sony's losing money. If they manage to lower the production cost, the price will remain the same unless the cost went down dramatically.

Regardless, I'll be buying the 20GB version and buy the Wi-Fi adaptor if it comes out. The Wi-Fi would have been the only reason for me to buy the 60GB version.

Last edited by Knightmare213; 2006-11-18 at 15:33.
Old 2006-11-18, 15:57   Link #113
Papaya
Sup

Hrm, I don't think there's any question that production costs will decrease. It might take two years before we see the first significant ($100+) drop, but it's inevitable.

It doesn't matter if Sony loses money on the PS3 anyways, since consoles are almost always sold at a loss. The money will always be regained on software and online service sales.

$500/600 is a lot, but then again, I know people that spend $2000 on a set of knives.
Old 2006-11-18, 16:12   Link #114
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
just saw the smashmyps3.com

laugh my arse off.

can't wait to see the "smash my wii", very excited, Unlike the ps3 one.

it was painful watching that video. I really wince, i mean i hate sony, but fucking up a potential $500 profit, hurts. huuurts.

But when they smash the wii, im going to go...eh....so thats how tough it is. okay. lets buy another one.

sure, its still a little pricey for me, but hell, it at lease has a price i can afford, plus it the controller that matters, it'll have all my settings on it, so no big deal

muwahaha.

SMASH THE WII!
Old 2006-11-18, 23:03   Link #115
Papaya
Sup

$15k.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161967...=lastword;link
Old 2006-11-19, 08:09   Link #116
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Sony loses money on the PS3 anyways, since consoles are almost always sold at a loss.
Oh come on, will that myth ever die? It's quite a recent phenomenon. I'm not sure if the PSX was sold at a loss or not, but before the 32-bits generation, no console was.
Old 2006-11-19, 09:55   Link #117
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Nintendo never sells a product with a loss, unlike other conpanies it has to survive in te gaming market.

Which is why sony stocks are 4,000yen, and nintendo's are 27,000+yen high.

If i was an investor, i will obviously go with the company that makes a profit on the things it makes. its not rocket science.
Old 2006-11-19, 11:59   Link #118
LynnieS

It looks like the number of Sony stock available on the TSE is about 10x that of Nintendo stock. Along with other factors, scarcity also plays a part, esp. if yes, people think the company is doing well - or in Nintendo's case, has a good product - and want to jump on the bandwagon, invest for the long term, and etc. Sony also does other things like computers, electronics, music and movies in addition to games; it's certainly possible that Sony is using the PS3 as a loss-leader to get people to buy other products by their divisions - assuming they can tie them in - and without taking a look at their numbers, Sony could probably afford to do this - although after the battery recalls...

Nintendo, as far as I know, just does games and games-related stuff like consoles, magazines and etc? So I would imagine it would be hard to the company to take a big loss to move their products?

It's really too early to say which platform will win out. I really would not be surprised if there's room for both in time, and it's certainly hard to find either now.

PS3's are out in stores when I checked - unless I want to buy from an auction - and Wii preorders were quickly closed when I was checking earlier today also.

While I haven't checked every store, I haven't seen a demo station for the Wii yet, which is too bad - although I'm pretty sure that every unit shipped between December 2nd and, I don't know, the next few months would be sold quickly. I'd like to try the wand controller to see if it's really easy and intuitive to use. The PS3 still remains visually impressive, however, but it's still the same games being open for use.

360's are quite easy to find, however...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 13:55   Link #119
Lebron
I hear voices

What in Sam Hill are you talking about?
Old 2006-11-19, 14:13   Link #120
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
What in Sam Hill are you talking about?
"What in Sam Hill"? Haven't heard that phrase used in a long time. Assuming you were asking about my post, which was right above yours, being a business major in a previus life, I was replying to Onizuka-GTO's post on "sony stocks are 4,000yen, and nintendo's are 27,000+yen high", which I did not quote.

Since it was off the original topic, I used the "" sign. The second part was on-topic, however.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony