AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-09, 22:18   Link #41
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
yeah, 20th Century Boys, another manga series that would make a wonderful anime, let's just keep hoping

About why the story is set in Germany, well, you'll know as the story progresses. Let's just say that this story can only be set in Germany, if it's set in Japan it won't make any sense. We don't have a "East Japan" and "West Japan" do we?

I hope this series can be a 70+ episode series, and revolutionize the anime industry as a whole. And so far so good, as it really sticks to the manga page by page, there's not even the slightest change in the progress of the story. GREAT!
If 20th Century Boys became an Anime, then we'd have the best anime in the world.

Period.

Also, I just watched the first episode from ToTan. The quality of the group was at a much higher level then I expected it to be, and if you look closely in the opening you just might find a certain moderator in the credits...

Anyway, the episode itself was amazing. I loved it. It couldn't have been more faithful to the manga and that's why the episode was so entertaining. Although there was no action, the story itself is appealing and slowly it'll draw you in.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 01:51   Link #42
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Wow what a great show! Seriously I want more! Definitly one of the top shows this season. My hard drive can't take much more with these great series poping up one after another.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 02:24   Link #43
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosama
so how would you guys categorize this? drama, suspense, horror. ALso, please explain why it's so good. The characters(naruto, peacemaker kurogane) or story(evangelion, full metal alchemist)?
I'd say it's mainly psychological thriller/suspense drama with a slight touch on horror. Both the characters and story are awesome, the character design is a bit on the simple side, but it makes up with very in-depth inner development. also it's a "group show" rather than focusing on only one or two main protagonists.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 07:16   Link #44
4F0ur

I think It would be nicer if they Change the anime a little bit from the manga.
that way ...i would have more fun watching it

so far..I'm watching exactly the samething ....it's kinda boring..because i already know whats going to happen...

I hope they can change the story a little bit......

and another issue i'm worrying about is..that
this anime serise would be too long....26--40 eps ..should be the best in my opinion

but seems like...its going to take atleast 70eps to complet the whole story

credit to necrodeath...
4F0ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 10:51   Link #45
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrii
I think It would be nicer if they Change the anime a little bit from the manga.
that way ...i would have more fun watching it

so far..I'm watching exactly the samething ....it's kinda boring..because i already know whats going to happen...

I hope they can change the story a little bit......

and another issue i'm worrying about is..that
this anime serise would be too long....26--40 eps ..should be the best in my opinion

but seems like...its going to take atleast 70eps to complet the whole story
well, I don't want this to be another Hi No Tori anime... I just think it's impossible to change the storyline in manga to make it any better. Personally I have read the entire manga through and through about half a dozen times now, I know every line they are going to say in the manga/anime, but I still enjoy the anime a lot, it's just great to see the characters animated, and the background music is great. I guess it's just what I always want to see, a faithful recreation of the manga with good atmosphere building background music and voice acting.
Old 2004-04-10, 12:05   Link #46
Cheesemon
Inactive Member

Just finished watching Monster . . . hmm . . . Honestly, I'm not a big fan of completely serious anime, I prefer characters with a little humor in their personality, a little Tezuka in their design, and above all, flashy OP and ED's. That's why I love FMA so much. ^^ Of course, I understand that this couldn't be done with the subject matter involved. I guess my logic is that if you're going to draw an anime so realistically, you might as well just go live-action.

That said, the first episode was still quite good, nice mystery there, and I think I'll follow it regardless to see those surprises you guys were talking about. I also want to commend ToTen for doing a surprisingly excellent job for the short time they worked on it -- I really like how you subbed the ED.
Cheesemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 15:01   Link #47
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemon
I guess my logic is that if you're going to draw an anime so realistically, you might as well just go live-action.
I feel the same way, it may just be due to the fact I like fantasy/sci-fi though.

Monster reminds me (somewhat) of things like The Fugitive and Robin Cook's novels i.e. non-anime stuff.

It's still good though, so I'll be following this show anyway.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 16:11   Link #48
musouka

Live action is too expensive, especially in a case like this where the whole series is set in Europe. If it was a series set in Japan then, yeah, I could understand going the live action route (ala Yasha, especially since Yoshida's work isn't suitable for animation at all), but for something like Monster, there's just no way.

I don't find myself minding dramatic anime works. I like my fantasy/action as much as the next person, but I'll take a great anime drama along with them any day of the week. Especially if it's as good as Monster.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 17:10   Link #49
SimplyEd
Claytard

What a nice first episode i have to say^^ I always wanted to buy the manga over at our local japanese book store but it never really happened. Now i know about a definate candidate on my next shopping list^^
So far i'm really impressed and i really hope the studio can keep this rather high animation standard.
As a nice bonus it's nice to see an anime with a setting that i can relate to much better than usual. An astonishing fondness for details went into this show, so let's hope for the best for future episodes.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 17:24   Link #50
gutsu

I downloaded the first episode and for some reason or another its not playing properly. I have most codecs but is there one that you specifically need for totan releases? I tried to play it in real player and Windows media player and both worked for the first 5 secs then the footage paused and the audio continued. When I played it in quicktime the footage worked fine but no audio I then deleted it and redownloaded it thinking it was just a corrupted file but unfortunately the same problems remain help please?
gutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 18:09   Link #51
naantje
Annoyance :)

the girl in shock was creepin the fuk outta me.. overal i loved it.. could be a pearl :x
naantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 18:27   Link #52
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsu
I downloaded the first episode and for some reason or another its not playing properly. I have most codecs but is there one that you specifically need for totan releases? I tried to play it in real player and Windows media player and both worked for the first 5 secs then the footage paused and the audio continued. When I played it in quicktime the footage worked fine but no audio I then deleted it and redownloaded it thinking it was just a corrupted file but unfortunately the same problems remain help please?
You sort of posted this in the wrong section, but what the hell:

1) Avoid using realplayer or quicktime as much as possible.

2) Get the latest Divx or Xvid codec. (just google for them)

3) Still doesn't work? Then go to the site/irc channel of the translation group to see if a specific codec is required.

If all that didn't help (unlikely) post in the 'playback help' forum.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 19:32   Link #53
gutsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
You sort of posted this in the wrong section, but what the hell:

1) Avoid using realplayer or quicktime as much as possible.

2) Get the latest Divx or Xvid codec. (just google for them)

3) Still doesn't work? Then go to the site/irc channel of the translation group to see if a specific codec is required.

If all that didn't help (unlikely) post in the 'playback help' forum.
Sorry I would have posted it in the "playback help" forum but I didn't think it was worth starting a new topic devoted to it. Turns out I had the latest version of divx deleted off of my hardrive and didn't notice it (stupid parents ) Everythings working fine now so thanks for the help, a_nevels666
gutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 00:27   Link #54
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
This has got to be the first anime of the new season that I'm positive I will be downloading the rest of. I'm a fan of kookier animes but it's the psychological thrillers that I really enjoy. Looking forward to a year and a half of this.

Also I'm incapable of hating a show with creepy violin music (whoo)..that and I swear the opening song is a remix of #2 right off my boys choir CD.

edit/ That song!! Im positive its the one they used. I'd never mistake that chord. Lully, Lulla, Thou Little Tiny Child- also known as the coventry carol. The lyrics to the one part of the Monster OP (at the very beggining and also at the window) are
Herod, the King, In his raging
(and the rest follows-not in the OP)
Charged he hath this day
His men of might,
In his own sight,
All young children to slay

I should look it up if I want to sound intelligent but the song is basically about Herod, in looking for baby Jesus he goes and kills every boy under two years of age.

yes, Im a geek -_- I thought someone might find that interesting though

Last edited by Tzurial; 2004-04-11 at 01:02. Reason: must..share..boys choir knowledge
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:44   Link #55
FlyByNite

Interesting, I'll keep watching this. I always liked medical dramas, although it seems like the Doctor won't be one for long. But the drama aspect intrigues me.

One thing, I think the director is just doing things to increase his position/fame, but wouldn't more people be saved if funding to the hospital is increased? I know it's crappy to say 'let the little boy be operated on by an idiot doctor' but how many other little kids will now die because of not having a state of the art piece of equipment in the hospital from extra funding?

Just food for thought. The medical industry is a crappy place where things like that are common place.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:51   Link #56
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Interesting, I'll keep watching this. I always liked medical dramas, although it seems like the Doctor won't be one for long. But the drama aspect intrigues me.

One thing, I think the director is just doing things to increase his position/fame, but wouldn't more people be saved if funding to the hospital is increased? I know it's crappy to say 'let the little boy be operated on by an idiot doctor' but how many other little kids will now die because of not having a state of the art piece of equipment in the hospital from extra funding?

Just food for thought. The medical industry is a crappy place where things like that are common place.
i don't think that the case is about funding it's more about greed than anything else.

by the way did anyone watch the anime-keep sub if anyone did i would like to know if they got the medical terminology right
Old 2004-04-11, 02:43   Link #57
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
i don't think that the case is about funding it's more about greed than anything else.

by the way did anyone watch the anime-keep sub if anyone did i would like to know if they got the medical terminology right
I agree with the sheer greed interpretation. As a starting TV show(and of course an accomplished visual novel), "Monster" has little leeway at present time to mess with the "grey area" in regards to secondary characters like the hospital director.

I've never read the manga, but the premise of this show seems to rest on Dr. Tenma and his decisions and thier consequences, which require our serious examination. If there are altruistic motives in the director's part, as versus what we've seen in a greedy old hospital chief, the water becomes effectively muddied. Dr. Tenma's decisions, whether based on guilt, altruism, or resentment, or all of the above, are made clear and justified because of the sheer greed of the director displayed to him, and to us, the audience. And in a good drama, or performance art in general, Objective, Motivation, and Justifications are everything.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 03:33   Link #58
dreamless

Yup, I'd bet the director is definitely not thinking about saving more people when he talks about the extra funding. Also Dr. Tenma "betrayed" the director not just because he wanted to do the "right thing", it was also because
Spoiler for episode 1:
. So Dr. Tenma is not really the stereotypical anime "good guy'. well, I'm now really waiting for the "surprise" in the 2nd episode.
Old 2004-04-11, 03:46   Link #59
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Yup, I'd bet the director is definitely not thinking about saving more people when he talks about the extra funding. Also Dr. Tenma "betrayed" the director not just because he wanted to do the "right thing", it was also because
Spoiler for episode 1:
. So Dr. Tenma is not really the stereotypical anime "good guy'. well, I'm now really waiting for the "surprise" in the 2nd episode.
actually i haven't seen the episode yet but
Spoiler for manga:

please anyone who watched anime-keep episode did they get the medical translation right i am sorry for being such a whinning idiot but as i have xplained before the terminology is one of the main reason i liked this manga as it gave it a very realistic look and it became one of the best manga i have ever read so i really want to download the best of the best sub for it
Old 2004-04-11, 03:56   Link #60
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
actually i haven't seen the episode yet but
Spoiler for manga:
well,
Spoiler:

Dr. Tenma is definitely not the most "up-right" character unlike most anime protagonist. of course he cares about medical ethics, but he's not a guy that easily values morals and ethics over his career and his good living like a true Hero, it's the combined effects of the ethical comflicts, the angst, the frustration, that caused him to step out to stand against the director's orders.