AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-25, 18:12   Link #2161
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha View Post
Actually, if you're referring to Carim's prophecy thing and Verossa's hounds, they're considered a "Rare Skill".

People with a Rare Skill = Carim, Verossa, Hayate, Caro, Lutecia
Btw, how is "Rare Skill" defined and where do they come from?

Carim's is Prophetin Schriften, Verossa's is Unendliche Jagd, Caro and Lutecia are summoners... what's Hayate's?

Last edited by Koveras Alvane; 2010-06-26 at 04:47.
Old 2010-06-25, 19:26   Link #2162
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I think it was something about her being a mage knight or having a personal army of 4 or something...
Old 2010-06-25, 19:52   Link #2163
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post

Carim's is Prophetin Schriften, Verossa's is Unendliche Jagt, Caro and Lutecia are summoners... what's Hayate's?
Actually, is Caro and Lutecia's summoning rare?

Caro's summoning DRAGONS is a rare ability for summoners.

Hayate's rare skill is being able to use the Tome of the Knight Sky, since it IS a relic from Ancient Belka.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-06-25, 19:53   Link #2164
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:

Carim's is Prophetin Schriften, Verossa's is Unendliche Jagt, Caro and Lutecia are summoners... what's Hayate's?
Ugh, translating, especially technobabble stuff, is not my territory. :/ I only edit stuff, mate.
Spoiler for But I can try!:
Okay Doraneko and Ottocycle, you can come out of hidinnnnggggggggggggggggg.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-06-26, 04:50   Link #2165
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Oookay, so Hayate's Rare Skill is the ability to use both Ancient Belkan and Mid-Childan system magic. Is that correct to say?
Old 2010-06-26, 04:54   Link #2166
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Oookay, so Hayate's Rare Skill is the ability to use both Ancient Belkan and Mid-Childan system magic. Is that correct to say?
I think it's more like because she inherited The Book of Darkness [and its abilities], she is able to use its powers as well. Since the book could use other people's powers [summoning dragon, SLB], Hayate can as well.

.... will ask a TLer when I get back in 9+ hours if someone else doesn't come here and confirm. orz passingouttranslations

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-06-26, 04:54   Link #2167
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

"access" to an assortment of long forgotten ancient(belkan and others) spells catalogued in the Tome of the Night Sky would be the correct way of putting it, rather than "using".

if anything, her Rare Skill is more of being the administrator of an extensive catalogue that gives her access to ancient spells from the old warring eras.
Old 2010-06-26, 05:47   Link #2168
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
if anything, her Rare Skill is more of being the administrator of an extensive catalogue that gives her access to ancient spells from the old warring eras.
To my understanding, that's partially correct, that's half of the point of her Rare Skill, the other part being able to add to that catalogue, if the name of her rare skill is to be taken into account.

The side effect of these is that she's able to execute spells from other magic systems aside from its own. (e.g Mid, and possibly summoning)

IMO it's not wrong to say that Hayate can become a packrat of a myriad of spells through this ability if she wants to, not unlike Orochimaru's stated aim in Naruto, to quote a popular example.

Don't worry Bananoha, no major errors in what you have there.
Old 2010-06-26, 10:21   Link #2169
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Ugh, translating, especially technobabble stuff, is not my territory. :/ I only edit stuff, mate.
Spoiler for But I can try!:
Okay Doraneko and Ottocycle, you can come out of hidinnnnggggggggggggggggg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
"access" to an assortment of long forgotten ancient(belkan and others) spells catalogued in the Tome of the Night Sky would be the correct way of putting it, rather than "using".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
To my understanding, that's partially correct, that's half of the point of her Rare Skill, the other part being able to add to that catalogue, if the name of her rare skill is to be taken into account.

The side effect of these is that she's able to execute spells from other magic systems aside from its own. (e.g Mid, and possibly summoning)

IMO it's not wrong to say that Hayate can become a packrat of a myriad of spells through this ability if she wants to, not unlike Orochimaru's stated aim in Naruto, to quote a popular example.

*jotes everything down*

My dear people... You're all such glamorously brilliant gems =3

Signature by liro
Old 2010-06-26, 14:01   Link #2170
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:

Ottojiisan! Question!

.... Isn't eating people's linker cores the only way to add to the catalogue? I don't think our dear rittle Hayate would ever....

Looking at the NanohaWiki to me is how some people look at TVTropes. I kind of get stuck looking at everything except these are runes and not things I can easily comprehend. (屮゜Д゜)屮 WHY I DO DIS???!!!

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-06-26, 16:15   Link #2171
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Ottojiisan! Question!

.... Isn't eating people's linker cores the only way to add to the catalogue? I don't think our dear rittle Hayate would ever....
There is that "little" fact that Vivio have inherent ability along that lines that do NOT require linker cores. Just watching how spell is done. So what full master of Tome of the Night Sky can do is interesting question.

PS. Linker Core "eating" as main function of information gathering for non-corrupted BoD look stupid anyway. It's owner would be quickly hunted and killed if it were so, even in Old Belka time... or especially in Old Belka time.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.

Last edited by al103; 2010-06-26 at 17:26.
Old 2010-06-26, 18:34   Link #2172
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
There is that "little" fact that Vivio have inherent ability along that lines that do NOT require linker cores. Just watching how spell is done. So what full master of Tome of the Night Sky can do is interesting question.

PS. Linker Core "eating" as main function of information gathering for non-corrupted BoD look stupid anyway. It's owner would be quickly hunted and killed if it were so, even in Old Belka time... or especially in Old Belka time.
Sorry, I'm having a little trouble understanding what's going on here.

Yes, Hayate could learn how to use someone else's ability, but that's not using it as part of her Rare Skill?

Are we talking about Vivio being able to use Adult Mode? Or how because she has the blood of the Sankt Kaiser, she inherited the same abilities, most notably the Sankt Kaiser armour? Because they had some fun times back then, gene splicing and whatnot.

PS - Maybe that's how it got corrupted.

Which reminds me of someone's theory on 2ch that I took a peak at while trying to see if there were any image leaks of Memory;14. Person's theory is that there were 4 major rulers back then.

聖王=体・・・聖王の鎧
覇王=技・・・格闘武術覇王流(カイザーアーツ)
冥王=心・・・不明
夜天王=知・・・闇の書

Sankt Kaiser = Body... Sankt Kaiser's Armour
Hegemon = Technique... Kaiser Arts
Meiou? = Heart... Unknown
Master of the Night Sky = Wisdom... The Book of Darkness

HEARTTTTTT. I thought it was cute.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-06-26, 22:50   Link #2173
Ottocycle

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Sorry, I'm having a little trouble understanding what's going on here.

Yes, Hayate could learn how to use someone else's ability, but that's not using it as part of her Rare Skill?

Are we talking about Vivio being able to use Adult Mode? Or how because she has the blood of the Sankt Kaiser, she inherited the same abilities, most notably the Sankt Kaiser armour? Because they had some fun times back then, gene splicing and whatnot.
More like what al103 means is that there are other ways to learning a spell besides absorbing a linker core, and that there's more to her rare skill than what has been shown so far?

I won't rule that out IMO, since the Tome of the Night Sky was originally intended to archive spells instead of outright draining a linker core (which sounds like an extreme end of what it can do).

Another possibility is that given that the linker core is the "organ" which enables spells to happen in the universe, and connecting that fact with the ability to activate spells from other systems, the Tome can replicate another magic system's (Mid's) mode of mana linking artificially just like a heart-lung machine, which definitely requires an existing linker core to model off of, just that the Tome is supposed to return the core relatively intact after replicating said spell's linking conditions or something.
Quote:
聖王=体・・・聖王の鎧
覇王=技・・・格闘武術覇王流(カイザーアーツ)
冥王=心・・・不明
夜天王=知・・・闇の書

Sankt Kaiser = Body... Sankt Kaiser's Armour
Hegemon = Technique... Kaiser Arts
Meiou? = Heart... Unknown
Master of the Night Sky = Wisdom... The Book of Darkness

HEARTTTTTT. I thought it was cute.
Fitting... I must say. Giving artificially constructed being the power of "soul". Fic writers will have a ball with this.
Old 2010-06-26, 23:03   Link #2174
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

.... If only we knew what Hayate could really do.

Force, please deliver. Maybe answer some of our questions. Or no, you'd create more. -w-;
Quote:
Fitting... I must say. Giving artificially constructed being the power of "soul". Fic writers will have a ball with this.
I think they're having a ball with Hayate could potentially summon.

.... SUMMON DRAGONS AT THAT.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-06-27, 00:58   Link #2175
DKN117

How would a fight between Precia and Signum go? Who would be most likely to win if both went all-out?

"You caused unforgivable pain and suffering to your own daughter! To the girl who helped my mistress purge the Book of Darkness of its corruption and free us Knights! Who I and my mistress owe our lives to!"
Old 2010-06-27, 01:09   Link #2176
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
How would a fight between Precia and Signum go? Who would be most likely to win if both went all-out?

"You caused unforgivable pain and suffering to your own daughter! To the girl who helped my mistress purge the Book of Darkness of its corruption and free us Knights! Who I and my mistress owe our lives to!"
While not really the kind of question that should be asked here, I'd give it to Signum. We ARE talking about someone who can go toe-to-toe with the White Devil.
Old 2010-06-27, 03:54   Link #2177
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
I am, too, pretty sure that the Book has some non-violent but slower methods to absorb spells. Linker Core extraction is probably just the fastest of them, which the Wolkenritter had to resort to out of fear that Hayate dies before they can complete the Book. IIRC they have first wasted at least four months doing nothing (granted, on Hayate's orders) before they realized the Book is killing her. So they had to use violent methods to catch up instead of possibly more stealthy and effective approaches they would have had otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
While not really the kind of question that should be asked here, I'd give it to Signum. We ARE talking about someone who can go toe-to-toe with the White Devil.
Unless Precia cheats... or uses efficient military tactics, as some prefer to put it.
Old 2010-06-27, 03:57   Link #2178
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Unless Precia cheats... or uses efficient military tactics, as some prefer to put it.
I suppose it'd depend on Precia's health--after all, she can still go "all out" in the state we see her in in the show... it'd just kill her too, however. Ultimately, though, we know that some mages aren't exactly practical for combat, like Hayate and Verossa. Precia herself may be one such mage, and we don't know the extent of her combat abilities.
Old 2010-06-27, 12:45   Link #2179
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
I am, too, pretty sure that the Book has some non-violent but slower methods to absorb spells. Linker Core extraction is probably just the fastest of them, which the Wolkenritter had to resort to out of fear that Hayate dies before they can complete the Book. IIRC they have first wasted at least four months doing nothing (granted, on Hayate's orders) before they realized the Book is killing her. So they had to use violent methods to catch up instead of possibly more stealthy and effective approaches they would have had otherwise.
Or, more simply, the "suck your Linker Core dry" function is entirely part of the "corrupted" nature of the Book, that it has to be done that way. Indeed, I could take a wild shot at this and suggest that the initial corruption happened when some owner way-back-when decided that they wanted a faster method of absorbing spell knowledge from people and invented the Linker Core drain (essentially by "reversing" the standard Unison Device function), which pretty well shot everything to heck (for example, perhaps the violent insanity of the defense program occurred when too much "leakage" from the psyches of those absorbed remained behind...or the "reset to zero pages" problem was created because the download-Linker-Core data method was imperfect...things like that). Turning your data storage system into a life-sucking monstrosity never really goes well.
Old 2010-06-27, 23:36   Link #2180
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

What honorifics did Nanoha use when addressing the Forwards? I can't remember, but then again, I can't remember her addressing them by name either for some reason... but I also haven't listened to the sound stages yet, either.