Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-26, 19:04   Link #21
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I kinda like sticking heads on pikes. On the other hand, if I was one of the heads I think I'd rather have my shame kept private.

Mostly the merit of this idea is that it makes the system seem more open and accountable. The downside is that we would be encouraging people's desire for schadenfreude.

Honestly I'm conflicted as to whether this is a good idea... or not...
That's why I said that the Forums should be invisible to the "normal" users.
Old 2004-06-26, 19:23   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That would fail the purpose of making the system more open and accountable. One of the merits of the idea is that everyone can easily see why we do the things we do. It removes the feeling that we are banishing people in secret after convening in a Star Chamber.

I'm aware from feedback I've gotten that some people really do feel that way about us.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-26, 19:29   Link #23
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
That would fail the purpose of making the system more open and accountable. One of the merits of the idea is that everyone can easily see why we do the things we do. It removes the feeling that we are banishing people in secret after convening in a Star Chamber.

I'm aware from feedback I've gotten that some people really do feel that way about us.
Well, then don't give normal users the right to post there and all should be OK. (Read-only for normal users and read/write for banned people + AS staff. If you can, limit the post rights of the banned users to their own thread only.)
Old 2004-06-26, 23:52   Link #24
Lefteris_D

Still. It is better for normal users not to have access at all. Full access to banned users and mods is the best solution.

Another solution is to leave things as they are, they are working fine so far so why mess with them?
Old 2004-06-27, 01:59   Link #25
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Well... I think a full read-only access should be alright... since other people(especially noobs)... dont take rules seriously(like me)... until they see someone violates that rule and get banned or suspended...

mess?... maybe you mean informative...
Old 2004-06-27, 02:26   Link #26
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
Well... I think a full read-only access should be alright... since other people(especially noobs)... dont take rules seriously(like me)... until they see someone violates that rule and get banned or suspended...

mess?... maybe you mean informative...

No, I'm pretty sure he meant "Mess".

Is "Informative" your new word of the day or something?

You get banned, they send you a PM and say what you did wrong in the thread itself. What's the point of other people knowing why some people got banned? So they don't do that themselves? What's wrong with reading the rules instead of having some sort of "hall of shame" list of people that were banned?

It sounds more like it'd be for entertainment purposes rather than as how you say,"informative".
Old 2004-06-27, 03:29   Link #27
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Is "Informative" your new word of the day or something?
word of the day?..., does it mean if I say words so frequently... it suddenly becomes my word of the day?...

Quote:
You get banned, they send you a PM and say what you did wrong in the thread itself. What's the point of other people knowing why some people got banned? So they don't do that themselves? What's wrong with reading the rules instead of having some sort of "hall of shame" list of people that were banned?
Wen I got banned once... I did'nt receive PM's..., wat's the point?... the point is other people will learn that violating that rule will face annihilation(especially those that are too lazy to read the forum rules and those that dont take rules seriously)..., I find that only few people were able to read the forum rules until they got banned or warned...

Quote:
It sounds more like it'd be for entertainment purposes rather than as how you say,"informative".
How would you consider this an entertainment?... is it bec. you're thinking of it as a "hall of shame" forum?...
Old 2004-06-27, 04:11   Link #28
Lefteris_D

If all you guys want is a "hall of shame" forum then a closed sticky thread where bans are announced should be more than enough. There each ban can simply be a new post explaining why a person was banned and for how long.

On the other hand the last thing I want is to "glorify" any violators by honoring them that way.
Old 2004-06-27, 04:19   Link #29
Sid_Burn
Banned

hmm... looks acceptable... but where should you stick it?...
Old 2004-06-27, 06:52   Link #30
xris
Just call me Ojisan

These suggestions are not going to be implemented, there will be no forum, sticky or thread listing banned members.

As many people have already pointed out, it's generally a bad idea to glorify in any way trolls, spammers or members who have made a nuisance of themselves.
Quote:
I find it very informative if animesuki will be able to create a forum concerning about banned people... instead of putting it on their sigs... or anywhere else... just like in our forum...
How you run your forum is up to you but I see no reason why we need it here. There isn't a problem that needs a solution (and if there was I doubt this is the correct solution). It's not as if there are a lot of bans around here. The obvious trolls and spammers get banned and in most cases their posts are one-shots anyway, it not as if they stick around after their ban, why would people need to see their posts again? The people we temp ban usually are given a reason, either via PM, in the 'guilty' thread or in the sig. In these cases it's usually the content of a thread that leads to the ban, why should we highlight the very thing that was found objectionable.
Quote:
How generous of you to agree to such a thing, we feel so honoured... Yes, that was sarcasm in case you missed it. And let me remind you of a previous reply I gave you (here and here), I suggest that if you have any more wonderful ideas for us here at AnimeSuki, please PM me instead of posting in the Feedback forum.
Quote:
but where should you stick it?...
I just about resisted the temptation to reply to this, I hope everyone can also
Old 2004-06-27, 07:06   Link #31
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
I just about resisted the temptation to reply to this, I hope everyone can also
Well it doesn't really matter, since everyone must be feeling the same of where we should stick it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Burn
Wen I got banned once... I did'nt receive PM's..., wat's the point?... the point is other people will learn that violating that rule will face annihilation(especially those that are too lazy to read the forum rules and those that dont take rules seriously)..., I find that only few people were able to read the forum rules until they got banned or warned...
In case you want to post another drama about your ban, I must tell you that xris already replyed to your question : it was in your signature at this time after like 3+ warnings for signature 'weightness'
By the way, your current signature is over the rule with a weight of 160.88 KB... -.-
Old 2004-06-27, 07:57   Link #32
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
In case you want to post another drama about your ban, I must tell you that xris already replyed to your question : it was in your signature at this time after like 3+ warnings for signature 'weightness'
By the way, your current signature is over the rule with a weight of 160.88 KB... -.-
I smell more drama with xris and Sid_Burn in the leading parts.
Old 2004-06-27, 08:34   Link #33
Lefteris_D

Quote:
Did you even read the second part of my message about glorifying people? That is one of the reasons it will never happen.

If somebody is banned it is for a good reason and not to please the twisted needs of a moderators to abuse other people(I leave my whip at home before coming here). I understand that in some cases that might not be clear at first as to why it happened to some people but in 99% of the cases it is quite resonable as we have all seen.
Old 2004-06-28, 02:00   Link #34
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'm going to close this to stifle any more free exchange of ideas on a subject where we honestly don't need any back seat kibbitzuing

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread