AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-26, 17:04   Link #81
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Yes, that was my goal all along. To see what everyone else thinks is moe. Despite what some of you say, there is no such thing as a bottom line reaction to moe. We dont all react the same way.
So your goal, then, is to turn "moe" into a hopelessly vague, nebulous term that people aren't even in the same ballpark on, let alone on the same page on?

Seems like a rather counterproductive goal to me...

Just because somebody somewhere says Mortal Kombat is moe (good grief...) does not make it so.
Old 2013-01-26, 17:11   Link #82
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So your goal, then, is to turn "moe" into a hopelessly vague, nebulous term that people aren't even in the same ballpark on, let alone on the same page on?

Seems like a rather counterproductive goal to me...

Just because somebody somewhere says Mortal Kombat is moe (good grief...) does not make it so.
No. Please look at my first post, which was originally its own thread before being merged. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...29#post4527629
Perhaps that wasnt such a good idea after all.

My original goal was to see a few other opinions on how moe felt to them. I have no intention of defining, or seeing anyone else try to define, what "moe" is. All I want to know is how different people differently perceive it, so Id be very surprised if people were in the same ballpark.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:16   Link #83
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
No. Please look at my first post, which was originally its own thread before being merged. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...29#post4527629
Perhaps that wasnt such a good idea after all.

My original goal was to see a few other opinions on how moe felt to them. I have no intention of defining, or seeing anyone else try to define, what "moe" is. All I want to know is how different people differently perceive it.
So what is the point and purpose of asking how others feel about it if you are not using it as some kind comparison of how people see it differently in their definiton of moe?
That is IMO just as pointless as asking what others think of other words that convey a certain emotion like "cool", "awesome" or "badass"
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:21   Link #84
Cryonosis
~Desu

I'm something of a black and white person that chases after more concrete answers to things.

To me, moe is cuteness; which, while subjective, can be shown as a facet of attractiveness that illicits a "caregiving" response from a typical person. Babies, kittens and puppies are the easiest to reference, in usual settings they bring about a hormonal response from people to feed and shelter them, to "care" for them.

Anime moe does have a propensity to be sexualized, but my opinion is that the underlying response evoked from viewers is the same as watching kitten videos on youtube. While subjective, I would expect any given, typical group of individuals to rate a given material roughly the same in regards to how cute, or moe, a work may be.

Or some such. . .
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:25   Link #85
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
So what is the point and purpose of asking how others feel about it if you are not using it as some kind comparison of how people see it differently in their definiton of moe?
That is IMO just as pointless as asking what others think of other words that convey a certain emotion like "cool", "awesome" or "badass"
I never said they couldnt define it. I just said that is not my goal. And I am not following you in how I do not "use it as some kind comparison of how people see it differently in their definiton of moe"?

All I wanted to know was how moe affected people differently. Can you explain to me what is wrong with wanting to know that?

This isnt about the word, it is about the emotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryonosis View Post
I'm something of a black and white person that chases after more concrete answers to things.

To me, moe is cuteness; which, while subjective, can be shown as a facet of attractiveness that illicits a "caregiving" response from a typical person. Babies, kittens and puppies are the easiest to reference, in usual settings they bring about a hormonal response from people to feed and shelter them, to "care" for them.

Anime moe does have a propensity to be sexualized, but my opinion is that the underlying response evoked from viewers is the same as watching kitten videos on youtube. While subjective, I would expect any given, typical group of individuals to rate a given material roughly the same in regards to how cute, or moe, a work may be.

Or some such. . .
Yea, that's how I feel moe too! Like cute kittens on Youtube. Also cute puppies and babies.
Old 2013-01-26, 17:31   Link #86
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
I never said they couldnt define it. I just said that is not my goal. And I am not following you in how I do not "use it as some kind comparison of how people see it differently in their definiton of moe"?

All I wanted to know was how moe affected people differently. Can you explain to me what is wrong with wanting to know that?
Simply and bluntly put, what is the exact reason or purpose for wanting to know this if you are already aware that some people have their own definition of moe and at the same time that you know that there is an overall general consensus what people refer as moe?

Quote:
This isnt about the word, it is about the emotion.
As if my examples of using "cool", "awesome" and "badass" are not some kind of an emotion.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:40   Link #87
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Simply and bluntly put, what is the exact reason or purpose for wanting to know this if you are already aware that some people have their own definition of moe and at the same time that you know that there is an overall general consensus what people refer as moe?

As if my examples of using "cool", "awesome" and "badass" are not some kind of an emotion.
I would like to know what some of these reactions are. That's it. Im interested in other people's opinion because I know it doesnt feel the same to everyone. Maybe that's pointless to you, but it seems not to be to me and the others in this thread.

And for the word thing, I was referring to you talking about "definition", not your words.
Old 2013-01-27, 07:16   Link #88
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
@topic: means you want to go and protect that character (ex: Mami: I'm lonely ToT)
Old 2013-01-27, 12:17   Link #89
gsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
@topic: means you want to go and protect that character (ex: Mami: I'm lonely ToT)
Pretty much this.

I am a heterosexual male, and I am moe for Kaiji.

...Because I want to protect him from all of those terrible things out there!
Old 2013-01-27, 12:24   Link #90
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
A much easier question:

What is NOT moe?

1) Male characters

And more
Not true! I find Mochizou from Tamako Market moe. Same with Ryoushi from Ookami-san.
Old 2013-01-27, 21:01   Link #91
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
A much easier question:

What is NOT moe?

1) Male characters
2) Old characters

3) Animals, exception of some animal-human hybrids

And more
Natsume Takashi & Kotetsu Kaburagi disagrees

I believe I even saw Kotetsu described as Moe Ojisan
Old 2013-01-27, 22:20   Link #92
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I am a heterosexual male, and I am moe for Kaiji.
You say it like that's somehow strange or unusual.
Old 2013-02-05, 09:16   Link #93
cerberuz

Men Online Ero ^ ^

I'm kidding. I think. It is a very cute anime girl.
cerberuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 09:44   Link #94
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberuz View Post
Men Online Ero ^ ^

I'm kidding. I think. It is a very cute anime girl.
Me Only Emasculate
Old 2013-02-05, 11:31   Link #95
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
What is not moe.
Super strong characters that don't really need emotional support.
Old 2013-02-05, 19:49   Link #96
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

lol... From what I read here it seems i completly misunderstood the word "moe"...

until now I always thought that "moe" refers to a character that is "innocent" or had no "sex education" (don't mis-/overinterpret this) yet and seems cute because (s)he is so clueless about that.
Old 2013-02-06, 04:36   Link #97
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post

until now I always thought that "moe" refers to a character that is "innocent" or had no "sex education" (don't mis-/overinterpret this) yet and seems cute because (s)he is so clueless about that.
Moe = naive?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 08:09   Link #98
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
lol... From what I read here it seems i completly misunderstood the word "moe"...

I wouldn't go so far as to say you've completely misunderstood it, you've merely identified one element present in a large chunk of moe and mistaken that for the definition of moe itself.

Characters having an innocent outlook, be that sexually, morally, or even across the board, is common. But it's not a must, and there's a lot more to the definition than just that aspect.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:11   Link #99
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Moe is not in my general preference for animes/mangas so perhaps I've looked at it too shallow for this discussion

but I always understood it as "Endearing"
Old 2013-02-11, 19:49   Link #100
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post

but I always understood it as "Endearing"
I say its Adorable...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote