AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-05-17, 17:39   Link #101
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Well, that and the fact that
Spoiler:

I think they're already selling those cards, aren't they?
Those cards are included in the character vocal CDs.
http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/negima/release.html
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 03:32   Link #102
USCPharmacist

If you read the last few books of Ai the tone of the story can turn quite dark. (the mermaid arc brought tear to my eyes ) Ken is definately able to do drama, although it's all up to the editors ehehhee

Speaking of Ai, i at first thought of it as a cheap Ah my Goddess rip off. But after I read through the whole thing I like it better then ah my goddess. There are more interesting things going on in Ai then stupid racing and inane plot in AMG. I meant the relationship between Bell and Kei goes from cute to "ghey". It's sadden me that the AMG OVA was why I like anime in the first place. Oh well at least the cat is kinda funny in recent arc ehehe, and Hilda is a far more competent villain that what her face demon (crap she is so bad I don't even remember her name).

I think "God" should've just lay the smack down and recall all those welfare goddesses back to heaven to fix the world problem like famine in Africa, or fighting in the Middle East then to let them loiter around the house of that loser mechanics.

BTW where the heaven is Negi's mom? I meant he never mention anything about her, not even in flash back. Hell, only his sister (if that's his biological sister, Asuna looks more like his sister then she) showed up for his graduation. What self respecting parents would miss their son graduation? Unless of course they are dead or dead beat. So where is his mom? It just bug me because Negi only care about his dad so I guess his mom is till alive...but he never care for her. He sleep with his sister, which makes one think that's all he got. But if his mom is still alive, wouldn't it be more logical to have him sleep with his mom instead?
Furthermore, could his mom be TM's permanant partner? What happened if your perm partner die? Can you make a new contract? Questions questions ehhe although it kinda funny that Eva acts like his step mom. Wonder what will happen when the real mom shows up, I think there is gonna be one nasty fight......
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 08:06   Link #103
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
If you read the last few books of Ai the tone of the story can turn quite dark. (the mermaid arc brought tear to my eyes ) Ken is definately able to do drama, although it's all up to the editors ehehhee
Yup, you're right. For now the editors want (according to Akamatsu) a Fantasy/Comedy/Romance/Teacher/Action/Gag/Ero/Moe series Not a drama... But I guess it's possible.

And you're right, where IS his mom? His father had never been there with him ever since he was born, so I guess his mother died early on and his sister had to raise him (which explains their "closeness")... And since Negi doesn't remember her either he doesn't care about her that much... Something like that?
Old 2004-05-18, 08:39   Link #104
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
After reading the first Tankubon, I now say "What's Love Hina"?

Quote:
I don't think Eva used full force when she fought Negi. Especially consider how easily she destroyed "2 face" ehehe

I like the spell she used:

In the name of Darkness that is Infinate, Glacier that is eternal, I shall end the World. (Rough Translation)
I thought it was a cracker of an introduction. When Negi called Mahora when
Spoiler:

Regarding her powers, I think she still has some restraints placed on her- like
Spoiler:

BTW, I loved the quote "In a large scale battle like this a magic user's role is nothing more than high powered artillery- in other words, firepower is everything!" That, and Asuna's line "Kids who are naughty... need to be PUNISHED!"

Quote:
BTW I think Asuna maybe trouble later on because of her imunity to Magic. Since we don't know who her parents were, they could be anything....
What we do know is that she came from overseas... you don't suppose she was placed in the school because seven or eight years later it is planned she'd become Negi's partner?

Quote:
Not sure if this manga will ever get serious enough that it would do something like that... It's an Akamatsu manga after all...
Don't sell it short- this isn't another Love Hina. There is a huge depth to this series that so far has only scratched the surface. Originally we thought this was going to be a sex comedy on the lines of Love Hina, except instead of several girls in the harem we have 31 girls, and in the first two volumes it certainly seems this way. Come the Evangeline storyline, and the plot turns in a totally different direction. Like...

Spoiler:

Quote:
BTW where the heaven is Negi's mom? I meant he never mention anything about her, not even in flash back. Hell, only his sister (if that's his biological sister, Asuna looks more like his sister then she) showed up for his graduation. What self respecting parents would miss their son graduation? Unless of course they are dead or dead beat. So where is his mom? It just bug me because Negi only care about his dad so I guess his mom is till alive...but he never care for her. He sleep with his sister, which makes one think that's all he got. But if his mom is still alive, wouldn't it be more logical to have him sleep with his mom instead?
I think we need patience here; MSN certainly looks like it's going to be an epic of a story. After all in Ranma 1/2 we don't learn that Ranma's mother is still alive for awhile in the manga. Don't forget there's still a few girls left to make their introduction, like the intriguing Zazie Rainyday, and the round faced cookery girl.

Quote:
Furthermore, could his mom be TM's permanant partner? What happened if your perm partner die? Can you make a new contract? Questions questions ehhe although it kinda funny that Eva acts like his step mom. Wonder what will happen when the real mom shows up, I think there is gonna be one nasty fight......
If Love Hina is Akamatsu's Maison Ikkoku, then this is Akamatsu's "InuYasha".

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 08:47   Link #105
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
I think we need patience here; MSN certainly looks like it's going to be an epic of a story. After all in Ranma 1/2 we don't learn that Ranma's mother is still alive for awhile in the manga. Don't forget there's still a few girls left to make their introduction, like the intriguing Zazie Rainyday, and the round faced cookery girl.
And not to mention the mysterious Girl #1 (Sayo Aisaka), who was apparently born in 1940 and didn't accompany them in the school trip (though Negi didn't seem to notice).
Old 2004-05-18, 10:28   Link #106
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Ya I was wondering about Saya Aisaka.

When I read the Del Rey version I finally realised that I never saw her at all in the manga.

Looked back and analysed the classroom pages and the seat next to Asakura is always blank @_@
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 12:18   Link #107
USCPharmacist

Also there is this myterious Nun that showed up in a picnic once that was never explain. Most people will missed her cuz she was so small in the panel but she was there talking to the girls.

Anyway Eva says she is strongest under full moon so I guess she is not the stongest when she beated "2 faces". I don't think I see any full moon.

BTW do you have the romaji pronounciation of that white hair kid? He is just bad arse. Look kinda like Zero in Ai and probably just as cruel and powerful. I am glad that Mr. Red Pine actually put in some male rivals in the series like dog boi and white hair. It really spice things up.

Poll: how many think Ms. "thousand grass" is the stupidest character so far. I think Chachamaru should've cut her head off eehehee

to Sydney2k: No this is Mr. A ........X Men heheeheh
Old 2004-05-18, 14:04   Link #108
Marine-RX179

Quote:
And not to mention the mysterious Girl #1 (Sayo Aisaka), who was apparently born in 1940 and didn't accompany them in the school trip (though Negi didn't seem to notice).
She's most likely an 'Earth Bounded Ghost' (a kind of ghost in Japanese term) which they are stranded at a specific place and could not go anywhere else after their death.
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 23:31   Link #109
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
to Sydney2k: No this is Mr. A ........X Men heheeheh
Well, I think it's more like Negi's Angels ?:-)

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-05-19, 01:14   Link #110
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
A friend of mine Had Mahou Sensei Negima in class today and I got to read about half of the first volume....and I have to say I really Enjoyed it. I Like Asuna and Negima relationship(Even though so far Asuna reminds me alot of Naru). And all the cute girls.....the Libarian Girl is really cute .
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 07:40   Link #111
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Magister Negi Magi might have hidden depths to it - but it remains to be seen whether Akamatsu has the bravery to further explore it and leave behind themes that have been proved to serve him well - the harem them, and the usual fanservice, and usual style of humour.

From what we have seen in Love Hina, I wouldn't expect too much - LH had alot of potential but I think Akamatsu chose to be safe with the material he had. Of course, I would be very happy if Akamatsu proves me wrong in Magister Negi Magi.

Anyway, does anyone notice who were with Setsuna when she appears at Konoka's home for the first time (in the flashback)? They look really familiar and hinted at a pair of Aoyama sisters who we know so well...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 08:52   Link #112
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
Magister Negi Magi might have hidden depths to it - but it remains to be seen whether Akamatsu has the bravery to further explore it and leave behind themes that have been proved to serve him well - the harem them, and the usual fanservice, and usual style of humour.

From what we have seen in Love Hina, I wouldn't expect too much - LH had alot of potential but I think Akamatsu chose to be safe with the material he had. Of course, I would be very happy if Akamatsu proves me wrong in Magister Negi Magi.
Actually, according to an interview published on "Negima no Kabe" Akamatsu didn't want to do another harem at first (or at least he was getting tired of doing them). It was his editors who wanted him to, due to the popularity of Love Hina. Even then he has said that he's more interested in the fantasy aspect of Negima and his goal was to "manipulate" the story towards it (which is why the first two volumes were typical harem but it's been shifting to more and more action now)

Quote:
Anyway, does anyone notice who were with Setsuna when she appears at Konoka's home for the first time (in the flashback)? They look really familiar and hinted at a pair of Aoyama sisters who we know so well...
Hmm... Looks a bit too undetailed to tell I think... But if a Love Hina character makes a cameo I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by brightman; 2004-05-19 at 11:28.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 09:02   Link #113
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy
I though it was called "harem"....oh well new word too...... ;p
To add an Australian flavour to it; we call it the 'spit roast'.
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 09:21   Link #114
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
To add an Australian flavour to it; we call it the 'spit roast'.
lol...

[ontopic]

after reading Negima, I feel like im reading Love Hina all over again
I was expecting something different.....well, on the good note.....Shinobu is being replaced by Nodoka as "my favorite shy girl"
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 09:41   Link #115
Sydney2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu

Brightman's already mentioned the fact that Akamatsu wanted to do something different, but the proof is in the pudding (so they say), and I have mentioned how volume 3 does take another direction- but you still have the harem, so fans of Love Hina can still be happy.

I am actually on record as saying I didn't mind Del Rey editing the artwork- but not becuase I am a prude or anything, but because the story is so good the fan service isn't needed. It's the fan service that stops it being enjoyed by young teens- well, they still can, but it's the plastic wrapping and label that deters some possible customers. But, when you look at the first volume, there's stuff you can't disguise, it's too blatant and in your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
Once you get to chapter fifty, you realise that that's not possible. If you are looking for Love Hina crossovers, this isn't it.

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-05-19, 11:19   Link #116
MangaBoi1989

......no comment.....since i read it in Chinese, i do not know the character's names... Other then Negima and Asuna, i dunno their names in English XD
MangaBoi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 21:48   Link #117
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Once you get to chapter fifty, you realise that that's not possible. If you are looking for Love Hina crossovers, this isn't it.
I do know crossovers are unlikely, but I can dream right?

Spoiler:
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 22:06   Link #118
USCPharmacist

Talking

I read chapter 50, but I don't see why they can't be the Aoyama sisyters.

They certainly looks like them, but without the bird is hard to tell.

Setsuna certainly use the same style as Mokoto. Although Setsuna can cast spell, which is something Mokoto can't do. (Maybe is from her ____ bloodline).

BTW I think the next story arc (the main one anyway, I am sure Ken will put in some filler fan services and comedy) may involve the relationship between the war 20 years ago and Asuna. She seems to have some connection with someone in that old photo that include Thousand Master, and a bunch of other important looking characters when they were young. Want to bet which one of them may be her father eeheeh
Old 2004-05-20, 01:05   Link #119
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

Quote:
HA see, that's the thing. Of course your initial reaction to this concept would be "how in the world can he develop a mass of characters like this??" But he DOES.
No he doesn't. The characters in Negi, even the main characters don't go beyond much more than shallow archtypes (or combination archetypes as snoopy pointed out). I've read through all of Negi so far and stuff happens; but character development isn't it. Why do I keep reading? Probably same reason as everyone else, which is the one snoopy listed in his post.
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 02:14   Link #120
USCPharmacist

Just how much more original can characters be after 6000 years of human literature I wonder? I am afraid we'll reach a point when all we will read are rehash of older work. When you come to think about it, even Harry Potter himself is not too original. I mean how many times do you see a character that is very good at something that is destine to be the best in his field, and character who has mysterious pass that hinted at his "dark side" tendancy (cough A...Skywalker cough).

I admitt Ken is obsessed with little girl and panties which does not necessary make his work great. On the other hand I like the direction of Negi because is unpredictable. I am getting really bore with fighting genry (DBZ syndrome), Mystery genry (the killer is amoung one of us cliche), sport genry (loser team beats "Lakers" at the last episode bull shit). I just wish that Negi won't just have to fall for Asuna at the end because that's just Love Hina Again (and that OVA blows goat).

Negima is, to quote a famous idiot, a box of chocolate...... since it doesn't seem to have any constraint at all. The apparent lack of a central plot can be a good thing sometimes for a series' longivity (just look at The Simpsons). Of course, it takes great skill to pull that off.

Now as to crossing over between Love Hina and Negima, is cool to see how our beloved characters in Love Hina are doing. However, with 31 characters to portray, Ken has a lots of work to do. Also, having old characters in the story will just destroy any chance newer characters having their own spot light. Cameo probably will limit the damage to the minimal, although if Ken is bold enough he might just make Mutsume Negi's mom hahaha

Tags
action, fantasy