AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-11-22, 10:58   Link #1061
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

it looks like someone got around to giving the TV Tropes page on Hai-Furi a good fixer upper. All of the inaccuracies and speculations have been removed...finally, a page that is readable

One of the things that was removed in the cleanup was the notion that Akeno's nicknames for everyone were popular nicknames for cats, and it's gotten me curious: are the nicknames like "Mike", "Moka", "Tama" and "Shiro" really popular cat names? I've done some looking around and it seems like 1) this is not the case and 2) that it's only really one person who's making such a claim. If there is substantial documentation that everyone has a cat-related nickname, (e.g. magazine scans, official character profiles, interviews), I'd love to hear them.
Old 2017-11-22, 21:07   Link #1062
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
it looks like someone got around to giving the TV Tropes page on Hai-Furi a good fixer upper. All of the inaccuracies and speculations have been removed...finally, a page that is readable

One of the things that was removed in the cleanup was the notion that Akeno's nicknames for everyone were popular nicknames for cats, and it's gotten me curious: are the nicknames like "Mike", "Moka", "Tama" and "Shiro" really popular cat names? I've done some looking around and it seems like 1) this is not the case and 2) that it's only really one person who's making such a claim. If there is substantial documentation that everyone has a cat-related nickname, (e.g. magazine scans, official character profiles, interviews), I'd love to hear them.
I remember Mike and Tama being used a lot but I only really remember pets names if they stand out for some reason.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-07, 09:41   Link #1063
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Unverified sources state that Hai-Furi will be getting a movie. I would've preferred a second season, not a fan of that six-month wait between theatrical screenings and home releases.
Old 2019-05-12, 05:06   Link #1064
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Full song with subtitles.

Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-29, 15:46   Link #1065
arkhangelsk

And we have the Movie

So, we have the film. I liked what it showed and it gave everyone a chance to shine and show their personalities. Now for some random, unimportant things that nevertheless caught a reaction.
Spoiler:
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-14, 23:56   Link #1066
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

So that's where I remember vaguely reading about the obstacle course! Anyways, we do have a dedicated thread on High School Fleet: The Movie, and I think as more people have a chance to check things out, discussions on the film will begin in earnest.
Old 2020-12-07, 11:05   Link #1067
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I became interested in re-watching Hai-Furi's original 2016 series after finishing the movie, and upon revisiting the series, I found it to remain a relatively fun one. The Totalitarian Virus was no less bizarre the second time around, but beyond this, the series stands up against the test of time reasonably well. I also found it to be a considerably more peaceful watch this time around.

As memory serves, I remember that during the anime's original run, early in the season, we had a bunch of discussion on the various materials around the series, and looking back, a lot of it ended up being tangential to the series proper. However, some of the posters made some particularly dubious claims, and believing them to be true would result in misconceptions or incorrect assumptions about the series that highlight why fan translations and materials from image boards like 4chan aren't trustworthy.

I ended up writing a post about the dangers of putting too much faith in fan translations and image boards after my re-watch that address four particularly egregious claims, and I've summarised them here:

The training torpedo sank the Sarushima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Wrong, in fact this is one of the things that the people at /a/ immediately contest -- an armed 93cm Long Lance would have blown the Sarushima in half, as LSCs literally have no armor (or modern missile destroyers for that matter). They simply weren't built to defend against an attack like that, because torpedoes no longer figure in modern (Cold War and onward) ship to ship combat.

Now the fact that an UNARMED Long Lance would have sunk the Sarushima though? That's where conspiracy theory and wild mass guessing steps in.
What this implies: If Akeno's decision resulted in the Sarushima sinking, it would show that she was completely inexperienced and makes calls on gut feelings alone, without a care for the consequences. This paints her character in a bad light and means her decisions for the rest of Hai-Furi are unsound. But, this isn't the case.

Why this is wrong: The torpedo used, to clarify, was a Type 93 with an inert training warhead, which would have completely different effects when deployed. These differences do not defeat the purpose of training with them, the aim is to help crews practise aiming and leading. Akeno explicitly orders a training torpedo used, hence, it was a Type 93 without a live warhead. Furthermore, modern naval vessels are built so that they consist of individual watertight compartments, and this allows ships to stay afloat even if their hull sustains damage. While the girls panic and assume they've sunk the Sarushima in episode two, a single torpedo would not be able to do so, and the list seen is probably just for dramatic effect.

The Hunt for Red October directly influenced Hai-Furi

Quote:
According to this (http://www.hai-furi.com/special/report/) the production crew watched The Hunt for Red October as reference material:

なかなか参考資料が少ない作品だと思いますが、参考にされたものはありますか?

吉田 鈴木さんから参考資料を貸していただいたり、映画はいくつか観ました。『レッドオクトーバーを追え』 などですね。船内の生活の参考にしています。

Whether its for script reference, of just crew conditions, is up to debate.
What this implies: In the aftermath of this claim, memes sprung up surrounding Hai-Furi, some benign, and others, disingenuous. By suggesting that the story and themes from The Hunt for Red October made their way into Hai-Furi, this falsely creates the impression that the latter is all-serious, with themes about late Cold War politics.

Why this is wrong: Myssa Rei misread the interview and did not provide a full context for things. In the interview being linked to, they were only interviewing Reiko Yoshida, who spoke about a range of topics pertaining to Hai-Furi. She mentions The Hunt for Red October as being one of several references she used, and in the other questions, Yoshida states that Hai-Furi was about overcoming difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
@Myssa Rei Y'know, the staff was greatly inspired by "The Hunt of Red October" upon making Hai-Furi.
No, they weren't.

Takaaki Suzuki himself Tweeted about the absence of air power

Quote:
I think that people should be MORE worried about another tweet by someone connected with the production itself, rather than getting angry at how airpower was just taken out of the picture by authorial fiat (because the sheer butterfly effect this would cause is already driving some people up the wall).
Why this is wrong: The question of why heavier-than-air flight is absent was a legitimate one. In a world like Hai-Furi's, having helicopters and helicopter carriers would allow for the Blue Mermaids to conduct search-and-rescue, emergency evacuation, observation and cargo-lifting duties with a much greater efficiency. It was not us "getting angry at how air power was taken out of the picture": from a practical perspective, it made little sense to exclude them, hence the discussion. The actual reason was so there's a chance for the World War Two-era ships to shine in the spotlight, which is acceptable for the story's sake.

Quote:
The extra information you seem to be referring to were kind of Q&A Tweets from Military Adviser Takaaki himself:

- Airplane was failed to be invented/developed, so no aerodynamic flying objects in this world
- This means no Aircraft carrier too. But there could be warships which have and only have planned would appear?

- Japan was not involved in WW2 because of Methane clathrate mining. Thus WW2 only involves Europe countries.
- No airplanes means no anti-airplane weapons

- Harekaze, Musashi, etc. were old ships being reuse for education purpose and ocean practice
- Line drawn at bridge indicates which school the ship belongs to (Red: Yokosuga, Blue: Kure, Yellow: Maizuru)
- Timeline setting is "Now" but not limited to that
- Electric devices and Sonar system on the ships are basically updated to the modern system being used by latest ships

- No airplanes means that the world still has much waiting to be explored
- Ships in the show are basically replicating the structure of the real things, only the ship's wheel being moved to the bridge (in order for easier drama)
What this implies: Assuming those were actually from Takaaki himself and translated correctly, it suggests that society in Hai-Furi were the sort of people who would give up when faced with difficulty. "Air power was too hard to develop, and since we failed, that's the end of it", is what I'm hearing. This is a very dangerous assumption to make, certainly painting the society in Hai-Furi in a negative light and defeating the purpose of the whole story, which was about overcoming challenges.

Why this is wrong: The account being linked to does not belong to Takaaki, and the Tweets were taken out of context. The original text only states that a director's commentary stated powered flight was unsuccessful but doesn't offer more details for why or what happened subsequently. So no, this wasn't a definitive piece of "authorial fiat" shutting down discussions. I find it interesting that Myssa Rei chose to only take screenshots of the Tweets rather than link to them directly. I get that screenshots can survive even if the Tweets are deleted, but it does make it a little tricker to get access to the text itself.

The writers didn't do their research for Hai-Furi's geology

Quote:
The explanation given by Mashiro’s mother for the reason for the subsidence of Japan’s landmass being partly due to the over-mining of the undersea deposits of Methane Hydrate doesn’t make any sense. There’s a chance that she was genuinely misinformed, however.
What this implies: The writers didn't care enough to make Akeno and Mashiro's world believable.

Why this is wrong: This was posted to TV Tropes under the "artistic license" trope (another way of saying "look at us, we're smarter than the writers"). This isn't the case for this instance; I took a geology course as an elective during university, and one of the topics covered was subsidence. Subsidence from natural gas extraction is very much a real concern. Moreover, there are methane hydrate deposits near and in Japan. At scale, mining these could very well cause the ground to subside, so the explanation for how Hai-Furi's world ended up this way is plausible.

Conclusions

I am fully aware that this post comes four years too late to the discussion, and it's unlikely to change the minds of those who agreed with the myths above that I've busted, but the aim of this post is to hopefully help future readers coming upon this thread to better discern reality from fantasy, and not accept some of the claims said here that ended up being untrue. Similarly, I know that Myssa Rei was a well-known and respected poster around these parts, who was fond of bringing technical details to the discussion, but this does not mean that she was always right about everything. If anything, it shows that viewers shouldn't be so hasty to assume everything from an image board or a non-official source's translations are true. After this exercise, by induction, since Myssa Rei had struck out on all of these items, one wonders if her information for other series, like Girls und Panzer, is also reliable (i.e. wrong about Hai-Furi, wrong about everything else). I also notice that Myssa Rei dropped out of the discussions here after the fifth episode, which coincides with the timing of when I started questioning the authenticity of the Tweets surrounding the absence of flight, and also speculated that rather than mind control, it must've been a rabies-like virus (this theory was, in fact, vindicated in episode eight. Where's my praise at? ). Coincidence?

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2020-12-11 at 10:40.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-21, 12:38   Link #1068
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
school life, sea battles, ship girls