AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-19, 14:52   Link #1001
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Equal playing field? I don't remember her ever being interested in that.

And in that ep, they were both vying for attention. What's equality got to do with it?
Well, if you just look @ how Sheryl and Ranka's actions in ep 15 respectively, its not too difficult to see what I am talking about. Sheryl puts on a facade even though she likes the guy, while Ranka just... jumps at him.

Sheryl wants attention, but she wants it while being respected at the same time.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-19, 16:31   Link #1002
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I still don't see what any of it has to do with an "equal playing field".

As for wanting respect... I don't think anyone wants to be despised. They just have different ideas of what leads to disrespect. Ranka doesn't mind telling people she thinks they're great. Sheryl doesn't mind being seen as a sex object.
Old 2008-07-19, 16:48   Link #1003
Tak

Quote:
I still don't see what any of it has to do with an "equal playing field".

As for wanting respect... I don't think anyone wants to be despised. They just have different ideas of what leads to disrespect. Ranka doesn't mind telling people she thinks they're great. Sheryl doesn't mind being seen as a sex object.
Actually, with the way Sheryl is dealing with Alto, she at least don't want Alto to see her merely as a sex object. Sheryl likes Alto, but she doesn't want to throw herself at her completely without Alto showing at least some form of dignity and appreciation for her. Bottom line is, Sheryl wants to love Alto on an equal playing field, with Alto showing just as much affection back.

Ranka? Well, her one-sided crush pretty much have her literally thrown herself at him

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-19, 16:59   Link #1004
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Oh, you meant she wants to stand on an equal footing with Alto. You should have said. (Playing field means competition... and it's not with Alto she's competing at the moment.)
Old 2008-07-19, 17:02   Link #1005
magnuskn

Quote:
Oh, you meant she wants to stand on an equal footing with Alto. You should have said. (Playing field means competition... and it's not with Alto she's competing at the moment.)
An "equal playing field" is a term for being on equal terms.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-07-19 at 18:49.
Old 2008-07-19, 17:11   Link #1006
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
If only the shippers could get along as well as Ranka and Sheryl during the duet.
Old 2008-07-19, 19:25   Link #1007
jho

This has been a fascinating read, just one question here:

What is the Sheryl blog that someone is referring to? Is it something posted on the japanese macross website or fan-made?
Old 2008-07-19, 19:26   Link #1008
Tak

The Sheryl blog is an official Sheryl blog! Made by Macross staff.

http://ameblo.jp/sherylnome/

- Tak

Old 2008-07-19, 19:35   Link #1009
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
An "equal playing field" is a term for being on equal terms.
That's true, but the phrase also implies a competition.

Love involves both coorperation and conflict. If one side is signficantly stronger than the other, they win out and dominate the relationship. But if you have two people who are willing to take each other to task, but also are also willing to set aside their differences and support each other, you have a strong relationship.

That's where the equal playing field part comes in. Sheryl is a threat, in the fact that she's a very strong person, but Alto happens to be strong enough to match her willpower; he's as much of a threat, himself. Out of that clash comes a relationship between two equals. Neither side owes the other anything, and neither side is willing to hold back any punches.

There's room for confusion here because both Sheryl and Ranka are both interested in Alto, so there's another competition here, too. What's more, the dialogue leading in to the sing off showed that neither girl was afraid to pull out any of the tricks at their disposal in order to gain the upper hand. So I wouldn't say that either is interested in a level playing field in that situation.
Old 2008-07-19, 20:38   Link #1010
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
The set up of episodes 1-15 is actually this:

-Have Ranka climb stardom high enough to appear on the Galaxy villain's radar. That wouldn't happen completely if she didn't fall in love with Alto and follow him to Galia 4. Her connection to the Vajra was also revealed from there.
-Alto (this is what the writer's wishes) have him thrown into the mix in the middle of this conspiracy. This wouldn't happen if Sheryl didn't become interested in him enough to invite him to Galia 4 and most importantly, it wouldn't happen if he didn't rescue Ranka. Everything all happened from there up to the part where Bilra wanted to see him himself.
-Sheryl -survive Galia 4 by looking for Alto, then get discarded by Grace to find a new victim of their evil plans---Ranka. Up to this point, Sheryl is more like a plot device that had a hand in setting up Ranka and Alto to get to where they are in the plot. I know I'm going to get hated again for that sentence, but getting discarded by Grace opens up a lot of possibilities for her including the character growth that she really needs. =/
It's just a simple overview of how far the characters have moved from their original points, how the stage is assembled right now. It's amazing to see Ranka come such a long way from the insecure, timid self, she's grown into a confident, singing idol whose popularity promises to skyrocket even more. Sheryl was at the top of her throne in the beginning, she seems to have it all, but now, she's slowly becoming a fallen idol. Sheryl has grown close with Alto in the beginning, but finds that Alto and Ranka has grown closer.

So now that the set-up of the stage is done, now it's time for the show to start. *sits back and eats popcorn*

Last edited by cheesie; 2008-07-19 at 20:49.
Old 2008-07-20, 19:35   Link #1011
ickem
シェリルの為に!

2008-07-20

Title: The day you first fell in love.

Do you remember the first time you fell in love?

I am not talking about who you fell in love with or the first place when you had a date.

Do you remember the emotions you felt?

I remember them even now.

It is as if a cold, pale cold radio tower were constructed around my heart in an instant.

That tower definitely caught the different emotions and words that I experienced at the time and those things play a huge role when I am writing a song, is what I think.

You have to fall in love.

Sheryl
January 11, 2059
Old 2008-07-21, 01:42   Link #1012
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Crosspost from MW blog thread...

Spoiler for crazy random baseless theory time:
Old 2008-07-21, 02:38   Link #1013
ReddyRedWolf

Ouji-sama VS Hime
Old 2008-07-21, 02:40   Link #1014
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
2008-07-20

Title: The day you first fell in love.

Do you remember the first time you fell in love?

I am not talking about who you fell in love with or the first place when you had a date.

Do you remember the emotions you felt?

I remember them even now.

It is as if a cold, pale cold radio tower were constructed around my heart in an instant.

That tower definitely caught the different emotions and words that I experienced at the time and those things play a huge role when I am writing a song, is what I think.

You have to fall in love.

Sheryl
January 11, 2059
Hmmm... so she already fell in love before? Or is she meaning that she just now noticed she fell in love? Itīs a bit hard to decipher.
Old 2008-07-21, 02:57   Link #1015
.Mero

Quote:
Hmmm... so she already fell in love before? Or is she meaning that she just now noticed she fell in love? Itīs a bit hard to decipher.
Kind of misty there indeed. sounds like a half confession to me :P
Old 2008-07-21, 03:00   Link #1016
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:

Yeah, hard to tell without knowing exactly when the series started in 2059... Anyone got a Macross Frontier chronology handy?
Old 2008-07-21, 04:07   Link #1017
Jnag

I could read this for weeks and not finish. Let me be up front and say I am from the Ranka camp. Sheryl is completely unappealing to me personally because I didn't get to see her climb to fame. It makes it harder to connect with a character, for me anyway. Plus Ranka is super cute and wears her heart on her sleeve. I don't really have any speculation for how things will pair up but I would be much more interested in a story that built on rankas feelings and Altos unwillingness to accept or be ruled by his. Anything with sheryl just seems too "Idol's new boy-toy" to me.
Old 2008-07-21, 04:10   Link #1018
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Would January place that entry before her arrival on Frontier?
Old 2008-07-21, 04:13   Link #1019
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnag View Post
Sheryl is completely unappealing to me personally because I didn't get to see her climb to fame.
Have you watched the latest episode? It looks like we'll reach that part very very soon.
Old 2008-07-21, 04:17   Link #1020
magnuskn

Quote:
Would January place that entry before her arrival on Frontier?
Hmm... first time I ever noticed that the blog entries are not in sequence, but rather in random order.

So, yeah, I guess that means she was in love before, and this ainīt referring to Alto.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance