AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-03, 20:30   Link #1
Tiraken

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) Game Discussion

does anyone have this game? recommend it? i saw trailers for it and found it very interesting...it's a turn based tactics, yet it has an interactive battle system....not only that the setting reminds me of advance wars...
Tiraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:05   Link #2
u43368
Disabled By Request

I've been really looking forward to this game too, just one more reason to get a PS3. One of the things I really like is the graphics; probably the best animu styled graphics in any game, ever.

It got a 34/40 from famitsu, pretty good, though I don't really care about any magazines except Play.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:39   Link #3
ZODDGUTS

It's already been confirm that it's coming out later this year in the U.S. looking forward to it looks great. Also recently it's gotten DLC content in Japan:

Quote:
"Valkyria Chronicles will have in early August a series of downloadable content, through an update that will just integrate those bonus in the game. Priced 300 yens (less than 2 euros), the Hard EX Mode will permit you to play nine battles in Free Battle mode in a very high mode of difficulty, even more than the original game, which is not nothing.

A new episode priced 600 yen (3.5 euros) will introduce a new character with bunches, Edie, and her battalion. A new scenario for all those who wish to extend this tactic mixing action-RPG and strategy experience. It is not known at this time if the arrival of this content is also planned at the release of the game in Europe, scheduled for next fall."

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-163202.aspx
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 11:00   Link #4
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
It's already been confirm that it's coming out later this year in the U.S. looking forward to it looks great. Also recently it's gotten DLC content in Japan:
It's actually been confirmed that it's coming out in November in America.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 14:43   Link #5
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiraken View Post
does anyone have this game? recommend it? i saw trailers for it and found it very interesting...it's a turn based tactics, yet it has an interactive battle system....not only that the setting reminds me of advance wars...
I HIGHLY recommend it...especially if they keep the Japanese VA's as an option in the western version.

VA's are cream of the crop...I don't think I've ever heard of a game coming close to this caliber of casting really. Maybe WKC as Hino has mentioned that WKC will have a high caliber cast lineup too, but the cast hasn't been announced yet.

The battle system is very intuitive and there are more ways than one to fry a fish, so to speak.

Personally, I enjoyed it much much more than MGS4 or GTA4. It's a great IP and imho, easily one of sega's top5 best games they've ever produced.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 14:55   Link #6
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Valkyria Chronicles is easily a great game to any collection. Just don't be silly enough to get a console only for one game but its still one of the better reasons to. Also cool little note but you can get Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia as bonus cameo characters.
Old 2008-07-04, 15:09   Link #7
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Valkyria Chronicles is easily a great game to any collection. Just don't be silly enough to get a console only for one game but its still one of the better reasons to. Also cool little note but you can get Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia as bonus cameo characters.
hey now...it was one of 2 reasons I bought a PS3... :| (other one being Agarest Senki)

Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-04, 21:58   Link #8
Tiraken

i'm curious, how much knowledge of japanese language is required to play the game? i'd really much rather get the JP version in fear that the NTSC will take away the VA...=.=....
Tiraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 00:18   Link #9
ZODDGUTS

Highly doubt they will take out the JP VA since the blu ray is big enough to be able to fit both the NA VA and JP VA in the disk.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 02:34   Link #10
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Highly doubt they will take out the JP VA since the blu ray is big enough to be able to fit both the NA VA and JP VA in the disk.
Royalties to the VAs might be cost prohibitive to do a worldwide JPN script track release, though...which would be more of an issue than space on BD imho...
Old 2008-07-05, 07:38   Link #11
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Dual audio was confirmed a couple of months back.

Just started playing this last night actually. Up to chapter 3 so far and loving it, so if it keeps this up (or gets better, which is more likely) I can easily recommend the game to anyone interested.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 19:39   Link #12
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Can't wait for this game XD
Old 2008-07-07, 12:09   Link #13
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post
Dual audio was confirmed a couple of months back.

Just started playing this last night actually. Up to chapter 3 so far and loving it, so if it keeps this up (or gets better, which is more likely) I can easily recommend the game to anyone interested.
This news is great, I tip my hat at Sega for this.
Graus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 16:33   Link #14
mandarb916

i can't find any news confirming the dual audio...any links?
Old 2008-07-07, 23:48   Link #15
Snuffle
likes cute things

Never heard of this game... So this is like a strategy rpg with fps mixed into it?

I saw some videos and I'm not very pleased with the sound quality the game has, especially for the guns. But that would be a minor thing if the game has great character customization. Does it?
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 02:05   Link #16
mandarb916

It's not an FPS at all. If that's what you're looking for, then do yourself a favor and avoid this title altogether. It's a turn based SRPG that takes place in a 3D environment with real-time retaliation. Basically, instead of having a grid to move around on, use a 3D map, and have the limiting factor be the total amount of movement you have in any given turn.

The sound effects aren't the best, but the music is extremely well done, and the gameplay is superb. All characters of the same type level up at the same rate. You can individually customize each character to have a slightly different main weapon depending on how far down the equipment tree you've gone down.

Each character has a different personality type in terms of actual voice acting as well as the random characteristics they have (some have dust allergies, others don't do well under panicked situations, etc)...there's one character who joined because of family heritage (ancestors were all in the army) but is a pacifist and won't fire a shot if it will end up killing her target. A lot of personality quircks that make it fun and interesting choosing your squad.

The fact that the actual combat aspect is really well done, though, minimizes noticing of the shortcomings the game has. Personally, i think it's easily in the top 5 best games sega has produced historically.
Old 2008-10-10, 10:07   Link #17
Girsej

Wow

I've been semi-interested in this but I tried the demo on the Euro PSN and I really liked it ^^ So much that it's become the game I'm most looking forward to this fall, although that might've something to do with the close release-date ;D
Girsej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 10:21   Link #18
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

By the time this game gets a worldwide release, those who have the original Japanese version will get their 2nd add-on to the game featuring a side story about Selvaria as well as a chance to get and use the customise uber cool looking assault machine rifle that she uses in her final stand aganist your forces.

The add-ons, I must say, is still in doubt for those outside Japan as it all depends on how well the game is recieve. But there is hope since Senjo No Valkyria bombed initailly in it's domestical market but Sega continues on to release 2 Add-Ons on the PSN.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:28   Link #19
Chrono Helix

I regularly go to 2 forums dedicated to gaming and the reaction to Valkyria Chronicles in both of them has been very positive ever since the demo was made available.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:35   Link #20
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Since everyone praised the game i gave the demo a try, not knowing anything about it other than it being a JRPG (or so i thought).
Jesus christ the combat-system is horrible.. the setting looks boring (maybe because of the art style.. i'm not sure. The style itself is ok.. but the backgrounds etc. look kinda empty) Never before have i been turned-off like that.

Last edited by Narzia; 2008-10-12 at 13:02.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote