AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-08-20, 19:46   Link #21
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
I think it's half and half, in Japanese novel with RPG setting, rather than level, it's actually the skill and how the skill is used what makes the differences, in CN, however, from what i have seen, the hierarchy is so strict that made to only let a selected few break it. And basically, while Jp novel trying to make their skill as unique as possible, CN is just Kamehameha with different name.
Sort of. In the modern CN, they will usually involve a uber-unique martial art that either allows the protagonist to cheat the cultivation hierarchy, meaning fight above his weight class AND/OR allow the protagonist to level up faster than his or her peers. Regardless of how unique the skill or martial art, there is always the "system" in place that limits how overpowered the protagonist can be and the combat will always revolve around the hierarchy.

Interestingly, Wu Dong Qian Kun's protagonist never truly has that one unique flagship skill. His skills are very much of a mix and match.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 22:28   Link #22
dragon1412

Well Wu dong qian Kun was among the Top CN novel i have read, and i really like how the author actually avoid making MC overly special
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 01:47   Link #23
whsie

Compared to a lot of the works out there, the protagonist in this series faces A LOT more adversity. One of the themes in this novel is helplessness. The author himself makes it very, very clear that he wants to make the world in WDQK to be more realistic, cruel, and harsh than Battle Through the Heaven. It's a consistent theme from the first chapter to the last chapter.
Old 2015-08-21, 01:50   Link #24
s.a.w..

No ntr or MC's girl dying I hope. And family being butchered like pigs is getting old, even if they get resurrected later, it is still over used.
s.a.w.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 02:45   Link #25
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.a.w.. View Post
No ntr or MC's girl dying I hope. And family being butchered like pigs is getting old, even if they get resurrected later, it is still over used.
yeah
i think i wanna read a story where mc is from a big family who nobody dares to mess....
something like he is a poor student and get throw away..... he found a misteious spirit girl(have to be a girl... common is these histories female ratio is very low., so at least let a hot female travel with mc)
he would let his fiance behind in sect.... promised he will return for her when he is uberpower(this is important too. history needs a why? mc will train like mad but why? or for what? )
he becomes a god, eturns to sect only to find his fiancee is married already(cause nobody believes he can be uber. she the first...)
mc go out this time for never return, he finds a black ancient tower and settle down here to study the way of make his spirit girl() resurrected(wich way he can bang her if she has not a material body?)
thousands years pass and mc is near complete his studies when a girl comes to his place. this girl is fiancee dáughter who run away from home when his father(a tard obvious) wants marry her to another tard(...- , - )
mc let her becomes hs disciple. when tard knows he cough blood but can do nothing(mc overpass him too much...)

this is the start point from history i wanna read(of course with a lot of xxx in the way.....)
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 03:00   Link #26
whsie

Quote:
I won't say too much, but there's no NTR. It's one of the few things I won't tolerate. For me, it's borderline grounds to drop a series.

There are much more series out there with smooth sailing such as the Desolate Era. WDQK, in terms of adversity, is more similar to the Coiling Dragon than the Desolate Era.
Old 2015-08-21, 03:35   Link #27
s.a.w..

Good, I nearly flung a chair out the window when I read what happened to Nings maid girl. Of course I read the vengeance part like twenty times to wash the bad aftertaste things left. Also, considering that he absorbs yin essence from the girl, can he even leave her to travel? Does absorbing a high class yin allow him to condense atmospheric yin to be similar, or does he have to continuously absorb the girls yin. And what does he use as a source for high quality yang? Little Flame?
Old 2015-08-21, 05:51   Link #28
LevelSeven

Quote:
Also, considering that he absorbs yin essence from the girl, can he even leave her to travel? Does absorbing a high class yin allow him to condense atmospheric yin to be similar, or does he have to continuously absorb the girls yin. And what does he use as a source for high quality yang? Little Flame?
exactly this questions came to me too, if grade5-yin-energy only exists in the girl and the MC cant get it form somewhere else it would mean that he needs to take her with him until he reached heavenly-realm and his yang-energy will be lower in strength than his yin-energy, doesnt this mean that he cant create than dantian-pill?
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 10:57   Link #29
DeltaWolf

Can someone tell me with who will the MC end up with? Also a short summary of what troubles they experience?
DeltaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 21:06   Link #30
s.a.w..

Ok, so I just read some spoilers on the BTTH manhua thread and it is time to throw the table out the window. Seriously what is with this fetish/penchant authors(especially Chinese ones) have for
Spoiler:

Last edited by s.a.w..; 2015-08-21 at 21:35.
Old 2015-08-21, 21:33   Link #31
Narberal
King of the Night

Quote:
Ok, so I just read some spoilers on the BTTH manhua thread and it is time to throw the table out the window. Seriously what is with this fetish/penchant authors(especially Chinese ones) have for
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Narberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 21:33   Link #32
dragon1412

hmm??? none of the Main cast die in this one you know
Spoiler for little sister:
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 21:39   Link #33
s.a.w..

Really? I could have sworn that I saw that she became a sacrifice in the BTTH manhua thread, maybe it was this authors other story? I'll check again, if that is true then this story has gone up in my list of reads

Ok so found the spoiler in question and realized that it said nothing about Qing Tan being the sacrifice, but it seemed implied and I took it that way and freaked out. Please give your opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
In terms of when they were published, BTHV came first, then WDQK, then DZZ (currently). In terms of actual chronological order, it seems BTHV and WDQK were occurring about about the same time.

My response was to the notion that readers could skip WDQK and go onto DZZ because WDQK is just a retread of BTHV. I disagree with that notion because I thought WDQK had better writing and better flushed out relationships. Also, WDQK is in many ways far better linked to DZZ than BTHV.

The issue with WDQK was the structure of the arcs. Some- such as the the Great Dynasty Competition- were too long and unnecessary. However, relationship wise, I found myself much more invested with the various characters. Unlike Xiao Yan who had his teacher as a safety valve for roughly 20%-30% of the story, Lin Dong was almost always on the edge with little help. In some ways, the world within WDQK is much crueler and realistic.

Spoiler for relationships:

Last edited by s.a.w..; 2015-08-21 at 21:45. Reason: Post added
Old 2015-08-21, 22:34   Link #34
Narberal
King of the Night

so who did Lin Dong end up marrying? and what about Qin Tan
Narberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 02:47   Link #35
whsie

The "she" I was talking about was not Qin Tan. I can see how someone would interpret it as Qin Tan because I followed the next sentence saying "she" instead of a specific name. Each of those parts are separate events that sometimes occur hundreds of chapters apart. The point of that spoiler is to illustrate the theme and mood within the WDQK. Compared to BTTH, there are more "epic" moments because the author does a much better job of building up the relationships (brotherhood, romance, sibling). There are several moments in the novel that I still get choked up after reading it 4 or 5 times.

The problem with WDQK is the pacing. Like I stated earlier, there are certain arcs that are too long and unnecessary. In particular, I felt the Great Dynasty Competition Arc and Island Arcs were too long.

Quote:
so who did Lin Dong end up marrying? and what about Qin Tan
Qin Tan runs away from home.

It's WAY too early to talk about romance. You won't even know who it is if people told you. There won't even be a main female character until about Chapter 170-180 in the novel and even then, she basically makes a cameo appearance before disappearing for a few hundred chapters. You can't seriously start discussing any romance prospects until around chapter 650.
Old 2015-08-22, 02:56   Link #36
s.a.w..

Thanks, so Qing Tan is not a romantic interest? And why does she run away from home?
Old 2015-08-22, 04:19   Link #37
elroid

Quote:
Thanks, so Qing Tan is not a romantic interest? And why does she run away from home?
In the end, she is not a romantic interest. She runs away from home because she wanted to become stronger in order to reduce the burden of her brother.

I believe she was planned to be a romantic interest, but at some point the idea was dropped by the author. There's even a part where their mother sighs about what to do with Qing Tan, after she knows about the 2 romantic interest of Ling Dong and one of them was brought home.
elroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 04:36   Link #38
s.a.w..

Does that mean that Lin Dong was NTRed from Qing Tan? Cause from the beginning it seemed fairly obvious that she considered him hers...
Old 2015-08-22, 04:41   Link #39
elroid

There's no NTR or anything. They just remained with brother-sister relationship. If anything, she kinda supports her brother's romance openly too. just that sometimes she pouts a little or mischievously breaks the atmosphere when her brother was getting into good mood with another. Overall she still supports them
elroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 05:16   Link #40
s.a.w..

That's good, I'm glad that she isn't totally heartbroken after finding out he has other love interests. Does she find anyone in the end? If not is it like BTTH where Yun Zhi and two others end up being implied to be mistresses?