AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-09-09, 22:50   Link #641
grecefar

I'm glad bakugou didn't pass, I love to see him fail again and again.

The conversation between all might and all for one, looks like afo was plating him like a fiddle and even with that statement from all might, afo just brush it off like nothing and he knows that he will win in the end, love that personality of afo, he's funny.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 02:32   Link #642
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don’t “say I have” - I have, period.

The dictionary definition of bullying is “to use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something.“ Do you seriously need examples of a Bakugo doing that?

In the real world there are facets and types of bullying. Yes, there’s the stuff we see in schools (middle most seriously and frequently) like ostracizing kids, extorting money, nasty messages on the board, etc.. There’s also intimidating and verbally abusing, which is Bakugo’s specialty. We’ve seen evidence that in the case of Deku, it involved physical abuse in the past as well.

Truthfully I think this whole supposed argument is a sidetrack, because the real question is whether Bakugo’s behavior - whether you choose to call it bullying or not (I do, you don’t) has changed. And I still see no evidence either in the series or your comments that it has.
How is it a side track? You're making the worst accusation you can possibly make of a character in the show. And then you actually equate calling someone a jackass to being the most irredeemable and lowest scum of the earth who should have no place in society, but still have one due to society being apathetic. I don't care how many dictionary definitions you pull out. Being not very likable is is not a crime and implying these things are equivalent is an extreme disservice to actual bully victims around the world. These people are not victims of "being called names". These people often have lasting physical and/or mental damage due to the torture they have to endure that society just chooses to ignore for some mad reason. Are you using this 'side track' thing in a way so you won't have to take responsibility for your own words?

I was not a victim of "someone being rude to me".

Last edited by Dengar; 2018-09-10 at 02:43.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 08:40   Link #643
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
How is it a side track? You're making the worst accusation you can possibly make of a character in the show.
I can think of worse stuff than "he's a bully".

Quote:
Being not very likable is is not a crime and implying these things are equivalent is an extreme disservice to actual bully victims around the world. These people are not victims of "being called names". These people often have lasting physical and/or mental damage due to the torture they have to endure that society just chooses to ignore for some mad reason
That there are many degrees of bullying doesn't mean Bakugo's actions don't classify as bullying. It's ironic you should get so heated up about this when your attitude is probably exactly the kind of attitude that leads teachers and adults in general to ignore bullying issues under their noses. "It's not that serious, there's much worse." I mean, sure, Bakugo didn't literally kill him or beat him to an inch of his life, but that's just the worst possible scenarios. He did hit him, he did insult him, he did gang up on him with the help of other kids. We only got bits and pieces of their childhood, but if we extrapolate from that... He has all the personality markers and the red flags of a typical bully. Not perhaps the worst possible of the lot, but that's like saying the existence of bank robbers excuses the crimes of house thieves.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 17:09   Link #644
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That's all in the past though. I thought we were talking about him being a hothead and telling people to "save themselves" is somehow bullying.

But in the interest of keeping my sanity I guess I'll just concede.

You win, being rude to people makes Bakugo evil and the only thing he deserves is to die a horrible death.
Old 2018-09-10, 17:29   Link #645
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
That's all in the past though. I thought we were talking about him being a hothead and telling people to "save themselves" is somehow bullying.

You win, being rude to people makes Bakugo evil and the only thing he deserves is to die a horrible death.
Him using intimidation against people makes him a bully. Which he has done throughout the course of the show into present day. He continues to speak to and about Deku as if he's less then and beneath him. He started and continues to call Midoriya Deku as an insult. Midoriya has "taken it back" in a manner of speaking, but the name was and still is meant to be an insult when it comes from Bakugo. That is a form of bullying. However, no one has said or implied that makes him evil (perhaps not such a great person, but there are degrees between not a good person, and evil), or that he deserves death. You're literally the only person who's brought that up. You're projecting.
Old 2018-09-10, 17:40   Link #646
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Yes, that’s the opposing argument exactly.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 22:59   Link #647
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Verbal abuse is very much considered bullying. Shit, you can probably make a case that Bakugo was discriminatory/prejudice towards Midoriya because he was quirkless, but we really don't need that level of seriousness in our superhero anime.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 01:51   Link #648
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, that’s the opposing argument exactly.
It's your words. You're the ones who say Bakugo is a bully. A bully is a sociopath who irreparably damages other people for their own greed, amusement or to get ahead in life, while society looks on approvingly. They don't learn, never introspect, and always blame others for everything bad that happens to them. That's what you're equating him to. If you don't want him to be equated to a bully then don't call him a bully.

Now, I don't know where in this scenario all the power play is. Or where all the irreparable damage is from him being loud and obnoxious towards some adults. Or where the part is where he consistently blames others for his own shortcomings. But if you're so adamant that he is this thing that you say he is, you win. I'm not sure why this argument is continuing. You already have your "correct".
Old 2018-09-11, 03:06   Link #649
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
It's your words.
I can't believe this guy. It really isn't his words. You're projecting really hard. The him in your head is the one actually saying them, in other words, you. You really need to get in a habit of actually listening to people, man.
Old 2018-09-11, 05:48   Link #650
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I can't believe this guy. It really isn't his words. You're projecting really hard. The him in your head is the one actually saying them, in other words, you. You really need to get in a habit of actually listening to people, man.
It's kinda tiresome, isn't it? I've seen my share of circular arguments, here, but this could very well be the first time where I see someone actually arguing with himself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 07:51   Link #651
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
It's your words. You're the ones who say Bakugo is a bully. A bully is a sociopath who irreparably damages other people for their own greed, amusement or to get ahead in life, while society looks on approvingly. They don't learn, never introspect, and always blame others for everything bad that happens to them. That's what you're equating him to. If you don't want him to be equated to a bully then don't call him a bully.

Now, I don't know where in this scenario all the power play is. Or where all the irreparable damage is from him being loud and obnoxious towards some adults. Or where the part is where he consistently blames others for his own shortcomings. But if you're so adamant that he is this thing that you say he is, you win. I'm not sure why this argument is continuing. You already have your "correct".
Your problem is, you're snapping because your definition of bully is so extreme you think it's being unfair to Bakugo to apply to him. You don't seem to realise your definition of bully isn't universal. What you're describing isn't just a bully; it's the worse bully possible. Bakugo acts like a bully - sometimes. I'd argue he doesn't count much more as one in the present day, but that's just because he's now the typical example of a fish who fell into a tank much bigger than him. He thought he was a big deal when he was at school - now he's still good, but he's not the undisputed number one any more, and both teachers and classmates are way less willing than he was used to to just put up with his shit, so he had to knock it down a notch. I wouldn't say he's bullying Deku any more, but that's because at this point Deku has plenty of chances to just walk away and can defend himself, and Bakugo doesn't have a clique following him around, so his insults come off more as the frustrated barking of an angry dog and less as actual vicious bites. But that doesn't mean he's improved much.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 08:16   Link #652
Ultragunner

Quote:

The bold part, and especially the underlined word which exactly describes Bakugo
and had it not been for Deku's heart being firm, any kids would suffer permanent damage from Bakugo. It could even be argued that Deku's early scaredy-cat attitude and lack of confidence was part due to being quirkless, part being picked on by Bakugo

maybe Bakugo is changing, but that still doesn't excuse him from his past action.
It is a fact that Bakugo is annoyed by Deku when the latter never gives up his dream despite previously having no quirk. And WHEN Deku did get a quirk and proceeded to join UA, Bakugo got even more irritable, mainly because of.....his pride? That an "insect" like Deku dare to reach where the almighty Bakugo stands?

I don't mind his usual outburst and his unfriendliness, but it is a fact that Deku has been a target for Bakugo to harass since they were young
Old 2018-09-11, 18:01   Link #653
Itlandm
Porcupine

Again, the anime hits us with the fact that at least in the Japanese sector, being a hero or villain is not a question of good versus evil. The axis is lawful versus chaotic. Endeavor harasses his wife and children, he lacks public support despite being the new number one hero, and he even throws a break-things temper tantrum in his own home when he becomes the new number one hero because it did not happen in the way he wanted.

Bakugo is the same type. He is a hero not because he is nice or good, but because he has chosen to fight on the side of the law, and has proven his dedication to it. This makes him a hero. In fact, the fact that he has proven his dedication makes him stand out from his peers. It does not mean that he will ever become a good person. Because that is not what being a hero is about, in Japan at least.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 18:18   Link #654
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
Again, the anime hits us with the fact that at least in the Japanese sector, being a hero or villain is not a question of good versus evil. The axis is lawful versus chaotic. Endeavor harasses his wife and children, he lacks public support despite being the new number one hero, and he even throws a break-things temper tantrum in his own home when he becomes the new number one hero because it did not happen in the way he wanted.

Bakugo is the same type. He is a hero not because he is nice or good, but because he has chosen to fight on the side of the law, and has proven his dedication to it. This makes him a hero. In fact, the fact that he has proven his dedication makes him stand out from his peers. It does not mean that he will ever become a good person. Because that is not what being a hero is about, in Japan at least.
Heroes are pretty much just glorified cops in this universe. Just like there are good and bad cops, there are good and bad heroes.
Old 2018-09-11, 19:59   Link #655
Ultragunner

^ more like glorified private detectives/freelance officers with a touch of idol show

Worst of all, they actively compete for fame, popularity and ranking
Old 2018-09-11, 22:02   Link #656
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Heroes are pretty much just glorified cops in this universe. Just like there are good and bad cops, there are good and bad heroes.
That’s a lot of Horikoshi’s BnHA mythology in a nutshell right there.
Old 2018-09-11, 22:08   Link #657
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It gets a lot more interesting when you apply the same logic to the villain side.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 23:53   Link #658
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And don't forget the third leg of this tripod, the vigilantes. They're somewhere between heroes and villains in this world, and very interesting in their own right. That's why the "Vigilantes" spinoff manga is one of the more relevant of its type, because it fleshes out the mythology in a meaningful way.
Old 2018-09-12, 05:38   Link #659
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I haven't read any of the post since my last post in fear that it would get me back into the wrong mindset. I just have to conclude that I cannot discuss the topic of bullying without feeling like my personal experiences are being downplayed by comparing them to something that isn't nearly as impactful as what I went through. That's not the fault of anyone here or even myself. This kind of stuff just has a lasting effect on people, some more than others. I am genuinely sorry if there's anyone I somehow gave a bad feeling to over the course of this particular topic, but for my own sanity I'm just going to have to back out until the topic changes to something I can discuss without going nuts.
Old 2018-09-12, 08:59   Link #660
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Just like there are good and bad cops, there are good and bad heroes.
If only we saw some of them before having a supposed "great villian" in form of Stain tell us about their supposed existence.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
super hero