AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-13, 12:09   Link #1
Ayrennar

LF feudal japan romance.

EDIT: I just want a young cute princess love story. Any genre any time period manga, anime, Visual novel

Hardmode, maybe.

If you recall the series Air, there was a 2 episode bit that took place during feudal japan with a cute love story between Kanna and Ryuuya. I wish they did a full series of that setting/characters. Would be a great spin off.

I'm looking for an anime that features Feudal japan, a love story and has either neko, angel, princess x guard, princess x assassin, princess x w/e

I really loved Utawarerumono. Wondering if there are any other series along those lines.

Inuyasha doesn't count.

I have a broad mind, and it can be a visual novel, anime, manga without restrictions (it can be really ecchi, I don't care) Or if it just has a fabulous love story the theme really doesn't bother me.

As long as the character development has at least some focus.

A list of favorite series (if it helps):

Utawarerumono- VN was amazing, anime was good, loved the characters and chemistry and setting, Storyline was awesome

Code Geass- Would have liked to see more relationship but the series has everything- comedy, action, drmaa, suspense, plenty of twists, and 4 episodes AFTER the climax to let things resolve. It just kept going.

Full metal panic 1,2 & 3- Romantic comedy action mecha. The art was such high level it was like watching a movie. The characters were so different it made for interesting chemistry. I wish they didn't beat around the bush so much. but ehh, it's anime.

Last edited by Ayrennar; 2010-08-13 at 14:10.
Old 2010-08-13, 12:13   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I can't think of an anime but I can think of a novel. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell has what you're looking. But it's set in the Edo Period, not the Feudal Period.
Old 2010-08-13, 12:29   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I must recommend Genji Monogatari Sennenki, which is pretty much what you're looking for. It's 11 episodes, and here's the summary:

Quote:
Originally Posted by summary
Born from a much loved, but lowly ranked concubine, Genji Hikaru is called the Shining Prince and is the beloved second son of the Emperor. Although he cannot be an heir to the throne of his father, Genji spends his life surrounded by every pleasure and love. And yet, his one longing in love is something that even the power of an Emperor can never give him.
Old 2010-08-13, 12:44   Link #4
Ayrennar

The art style isn't my favorite but the storyline seems right on. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 2010-08-13, 13:00   Link #5
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrennar View Post
Hardmode, maybe.

If you recall the series Air, there was a 2 episode bit that took place during feudal japan with a cute love story between Kanna and Ryuuya. I wish they did a full series of that setting/characters. Would be a great spin off.
I don't have a series to recommend, but since you mentioned this I thought it would be good to check if you were aware of the 2-episode special called AIR in Summer, which is two additional episodes of those characters you mentioned.
Old 2010-08-13, 13:09   Link #6
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I, too, loved Utawarerumono. However, I have a hard time finding feudal love stories that aren't geared towards females. I have quite a few feudal/Edo style shows I enjoy, minus the romance. Below are the closest I could come to your request.
  • Saiunkoku Monogatari (There's also a 2nd season)
    Quote:
    Saiunkoku is a world of eight provinces or houses, each named after a different colour. The new Emperor, Shi Ryuuki, has gained for a reputation for being uninterested in courtly matters and for flaunting his love for men. Shuurei, although born of the important Kou family, has difficulty making ends meet. She easily accepts an invitation to be the Emperor's concubine in order to turn him into a good ruler. The mysterious Seiran, a young man who was adopted by her father, goes with her as Ryuuki's bodyguard. Entering the imperial palace revives Shuurei's dream of being a court official, and, together with the many companions she meets along the way, continues moving bravely forward while trying to fend off the Emperor's advances. (Source: ANN)
  • Fushigi Yuugi--Shoujo, so there are some predictably sappy parts. Still enjoyed it though.
    Quote:
    Miaka Yuuki, an average middle school student caught up in studying for exams, is sucked into an ancient Chinese novel titled "The Universe of Four Gods". There she discovers that she is in an ancient country in what is now China, Konan, and is to be the Priestess of one of the four gods, Suzaku. As the priestess, her duty is to gather the Seven Seishi of Suzaku, who are to be her protectors. Once they are gathered, the priestess will summon the god Suzaku and bring peace between the warring lands, Konan and Kutou. But it's harder than it seems. Along the road, many hardships are faced, as Miaka's best friend Yui Hongo enters the book and becomes her rival, the priestess of Seiryuu in the land of Kutou. Who summons their god first is up to the courage and skill of the priestesses and their seishi, as they meet triumphs and tragedies along the way.
    (Source: ANN)
  • Like the Clouds, Like the Wind--Older style, but great story.
    Quote:
    Ginga, a small town girl sets out to become the Emperors Seihi, highest ranked wife, undaunted by the many other women who seek the same title. Her energetic and eccentric ways aid in her in meeting new people, training to be a Lady of the Emperor and dealing with the drama that ensues.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2010-08-13, 14:05   Link #7
Ayrennar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I don't have a series to recommend, but since you mentioned this I thought it would be good to check if you were aware of the 2-episode special called AIR in Summer, which is two additional episodes of those characters you mentioned.
I have watched those. Maybe if there was an anime that just had a character similar to kanna. I love that young innocent princess love story.
Old 2010-08-13, 14:08   Link #8
Ayrennar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I, too, loved Utawarerumono. However, I have a hard time finding feudal love stories that aren't geared towards females. I have quite a few feudal/Edo style shows I enjoy, minus the romance. Below are the closest I could come to your request.
[*]Fushigi Yuugi--Shoujo, so there are some predictably sappy parts. Still enjoyed it though.
[/list]
Any series that starts off by saying DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER, has got to be a winner. Animation looks a lot like yu-yu-hakasho
Old 2010-08-13, 16:53   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Oh! Edo Rocket? It has the setting and cute heroine you're looking for, even if it's off-the-wall.

I'll second Saiunkoku and also suggest Scrapped Princess, though neither is set in Japan.
Old 2010-08-13, 18:25   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

On the wanting an Air spin off there are two OVA episodes dealing with that actually, Air in Summer in case you never saw those.
MAL
Old 2010-08-13, 18:36   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
On the wanting an Air spin off there are two OVA episodes dealing with that actually, Air in Summer in case you never saw those.
Check out post five in this thread.
Old 2010-08-13, 19:40   Link #12
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Check out post five in this thread.
My mistake somehow missed it when I looked in this thread since it was small post between three larger ones .
MAL
Old 2010-08-13, 22:43   Link #13
Niji

Shounen Onmiyouji has a cute princess love story, though it is not the center of the story.

Guin Saga is somewhat similar to Utawarerumono, and has a cute princess too. I would not call it romance though, but then in Utawarerumono I dont recall too much romance either Guin is admired, dunno if that counts.
Old 2010-08-14, 01:34   Link #14
Ayrennar

thanks all for the help. This community seems awesome with all the feedback.

I think I will be very welcome here. Can't wait until I can help some people. I'm more of a visual novel guy though.
Old 2010-08-14, 01:41   Link #15
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrennar View Post
thanks all for the help. This community seems awesome with all the feedback.
Yes we are all one big happy "Dango" family..

Also Feudal Japan Romance hmm? Well have you seen Rurouni Kenshin yet? The two main leads eventually do end up together for the Romance part.

There is also Action since the main character does indeed kill a lot of people.
Old 2010-08-14, 13:11   Link #16
Ayrennar

i haven't visited kenshin in a long time. I have watched a few episodes and really enjoyed it. maybe I should finish the series
Old 2010-08-14, 19:19   Link #17
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niji View Post
Shounen Onmiyouji has a cute princess love story, though it is not the center of the story.
I'm lovin Shounen Onmiyouji! Such a great suggestion for this thread. I just wish the romance in this was a lil bit stronger, but then again, I'm only half way done, so we'll see . Other than that, everything else is also great (action, fighting)!

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2010-08-14, 21:39   Link #18
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
I'm lovin Shounen Onmiyouji! Such a great suggestion for this thread. I just wish the romance in this was a lil bit stronger, but then again, I'm only half way done, so we'll see . Other than that, everything else is also great (action, fighting)!
Usually the romance in many anime are weak at first (which is sorta at half like you are at) but I'm guessing Shounen Onmiyouji's romance will get better at the end, but I've never watched the anime so you will have to find out
Old 2010-08-16, 16:59   Link #19
ruonim

Saiunkoku Monogatari
Closed Thread