AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-08-08, 17:17   Link #21
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I totally disagree.
What DVD sales will give us, is an idea of how popular the anime is within a certain viewer base.
By that, I mean, DVD-buying adults.
That's true, but that was partially my point as well. And as far as Gundam goes, DVD sales are a handy way of comparing the relative popularity of the TV shows.

Quote:
These shows main target audiences don't buy DVDs.
DVDs are very expensive in Japan, and kids do not buy them. Period.
We're not like America, where DVDs are freakin 20 bucks a pop.

What you're seeing, my friend, is a very foreign view of anime.
You're basing the market off what's popular from what you can see.
That's not true at all. You can note that I already pointed out that "sales indicate how many people felt the show was willing to purchase at (originally) around 5000 Yen per disc". I didn't claim that DVD sales was the only (or even the best) way of gauging the popularity of a show. I merely pointed out that it may be a better indicator than overall merchandise sales (to a large degree, it's because there are far more factors that play into merchandise sales).
Old 2007-08-08, 17:21   Link #22
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That's true, but that was partially my point as well. And as far as Gundam goes, DVD sales are a handy way of comparing the relative popularity of the TV shows.

That's not true at all. You can note that I already pointed out that "sales indicate how many people felt the show was willing to purchase at (originally) around 5000 Yen per disc". I didn't claim that DVD sales was the only (or even the best) way of gauging the popularity of a show. I merely pointed out that it may be a better indicator than overall merchandise sales (to a large degree, it's because there are far more factors that play into merchandise sales).
Well, then you need to go read what my original statement says.

Quote:
when it comes to franchise level of Gundam, Dragon Ball, One Piece, PuriCure, Sailor Moon, DigiMon... you get the idea.
I was specificly talking about series where majority of their profit comes from non-DVD sales.
I was not, at all, from the beginning, talking about anime in general.
ONLY about these large franchise, where DVD sales did not reflect its total popularity.

Again, you're neglecting the "popularity of children" completely, and focusing only on otaku fanbase.
Which is totally fine if we're talking about majority of anime, but I was not talking about those in the first place.
Old 2007-08-08, 18:19   Link #23
4Tran

Quote:
I was specificly talking about series where majority of their profit comes from non-DVD sales.
I was not, at all, from the beginning, talking about anime in general.
ONLY about these large franchise, where DVD sales did not reflect its total popularity.
I'm quite aware that you're just talking about the mass-merchandise franchises - the merchandising of more niche shows is generally too insignificant to be much of an issue. However, I'll reiterate the difficulty of correlating popularity with the success of these secondary products. I'm not denying that these figures aren't useful, only that they don't necessarily speak to the popularity of a show. This holds regardless of whether most of a franchise's revenues are generated through merchandising.

Quote:
Again, you're neglecting the "popularity of children" completely, and focusing only on otaku fanbase.
Which is totally fine if we're talking about majority of anime, but I was not talking about those in the first place.
I don't care as much about the popularity of a show with children for a couple of reasons: First, children tend to move very quickly from one "in" thing to another, so short-term popularity doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot aside from immediate sales. Second, it's hard to tell how popular a work is based on secondary sales. For example, look at a franchise like Hello Kitty; it's a perennial favorite in terms of merchandising, but it's animated versions have enjoyed nowhere near the same kind of lasting popularity.

In this situation, the best way to gauge the popularity of a show to children is to look at the TV ratings within that demographic. After all, that's likely how they're going to be exposed to the show.
Old 2007-08-08, 18:41   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, I'm sort of stepping in the middle here, but I wonder... is this somewhat on-target? I don't think it's complete, though...

Target Audience: Children
Trying to sell: Toys, Games, Videogames, Merchandise.
Anime Success Indicators: TV Ratings/Timeslot/Length of run

Target Audience: Teens
Trying to sell: Toys, Manga/Magazines, Videogames, CDs.
Anime Success Indicators: Timeslot/TV Ratings/CD sales/Length of run

Target Audience: Young Adults/Otaku
Trying to sell: DVDs, CDs, Videogames, Light Novels, Figures, etc.
Anime Success Indicators: DVD & CD sales

It seems to me that you could actually break this down even futher by gender. For example, a show like NANA would probably fit into a slightly different mold (Driven more by manga/magazine sales, perhaps? Women tend to buy less DVDs than men.).

You notice that I used the word "success" (which, for these purposes, I'm tying to money) as opposed to "popularity" -- I think that popularity is more about "mindshare", and that can either be momentary (i.e. a fad) or enduring (i.e. a cultural icon/phenomenon). It also reflects a success that's broader than the target audience, and I think the real indicator of that is frequency of mention in the mass/mainstream media. So I'm not even sure if either ratings or sales alone could really tell the full story about popularity. Maybe I'm wrong, though...

Anyway, I realize I'm sort of stepping in the middle here, but I wonder if this can help funnel the conversation? If not, please feel free to ignore my rambling.

And by the way, I just want to thank eggplant for updating the thread with new sales data so regularly. Thank you!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 18:45   Link #25
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I don't care as much about the popularity of a show with children for a couple of reasons: First, children tend to move very quickly from one "in" thing to another, so short-term popularity doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot aside from immediate sales. Second, it's hard to tell how popular a work is based on secondary sales. For example, look at a franchise like Hello Kitty; it's a perennial favorite in terms of merchandising, but it's animated versions have enjoyed nowhere near the same kind of lasting popularity.

In this situation, the best way to gauge the popularity of a show to children is to look at the TV ratings within that demographic. After all, that's likely how they're going to be exposed to the show.
That's where you misunderstand.
I'm not saying that there IS an alternative way to measure popularity of children's show effectively.
I'm saying, that DVD sales have very little to do with it, and isn't effective at all in getting any idea of its popularity.

TV ratings is a more effective way of measuring its popularity, but again, this thread is not about ratings. It's about DVD sales. And that's why I said, this isn't a very optimal place to compare popularity of Gundam.

Which comes to my point.
When you have franchise targeted towards customer base that doesn't buy DVDs, and the franchise income doesn't depend on DVD sales, such as Gundam, you can't measure its success with DVD sales, compared to other anime that does.

Also, you personally might "not care" about children's popularity on anime.
But the fact is, they make up the majority of marketing consumption, and cannot be neglected as a factor.
You think otakus spend more money than kids? Think again.
Each otaku may spend heck of a lot of money than a child, but the sheer number of kids that makes up the market is incomparably large.
That's like comparing Trekkie's devotion to Star Trek franchise to the entire Disney kids market. It's simply not negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Anyway, I realize I'm sort of stepping in the middle here, but I wonder if this can help funnel the conversation? If not, please feel free to ignore my rambling.

Oh, on the contrary, I think you're right on the money.
Trying to compare multiple levels of diffrent target audience by simply "DVD sales" is simply not viable.
You wrapped it up better than either of us have.

Edit: Interesting thing about NANA is, it not only had effects on sales of itself, but in fashion and habits.
Cigarette smoked by Nana increased in sales, and the type of fashion characters wear had increased as well, since that's where girls put much of their money in.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-08-08 at 19:14.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 22:26   Link #26
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
I expected much more :S
Only behind Geass and Lucky Star in terms of 2007 TV Series, actually. And pre-orders for DVD are much better than the pre-orders for the first DVD...
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 22:42   Link #27
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
You also have to consider, that DVD sales are NOT a good measurement of how popular series is, when it comes to franchise level of Gundam, Dragon Ball, One Piece, PuriCure, Sailor Moon, DigiMon... you get the idea.

These large marketing franchise gets most of its income from sales OTHER than DVDs, so when you want to talk about Gundam and its popularity, thread about DVD sales really isn't a very good one.
Yes, generally, I am aware of that. Not as in-depth as some people, namely yourself, eggplant, and such, since I don't really go and seek out these kind of details, but I am generally aware that DVD sales alone are not an indicator, since despite being bigger than what Code Geass/Lucky Star/etc will ever be, Conan, One Piece, Pretty Cure and such, for all their ratings success and wide-spread popularity, do not sell individually anywhere near the individual DVD sales of Code Geass and such.

Anyway, I was just citing SEED/GSD's level of success in only DVD sales alone in particular compared to other titles that sold well in a similar timeframe. The previous argument I was going for was the misconception that C.E's proven success in DVD sales ALONE, disregarding it's other franchise points, only came about from it's Gundam brand name, and nothing else, due to the generalism that every Tom, Dick and Harry hates CE. Well, maybe so, but the Mary and Janes may like them.

Gundam as a whole is a franchise of course occupies a much much larger market from novels, models, and such to different target audiences, but I'm not going there.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 23:03   Link #28
Snait3
Antagonist

I don't think that DVD sales is a indicator of popularity, for me, is proved that original series has better sales (the manga's anime like Bleach, Death Note, lose in this aspect, obviusly are exceptions like FMA, for something is maybe the favorite anime ever).

Code Geass is like the Gundam's sucessor xD (is the same market I think), Geass is ok in DVD sales but in TV ratings not too much (has like 2.2 comparing with Seed or Seed Destiny with 5-6 points), Death Note has much better rating(3.5 app.), Gurren-Lagann an Claymore too has better tv rating.
Mechas and KyoAni dominated Japan DVD sales market

Last edited by Snait3; 2007-08-27 at 22:16.
Snait3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 19:48   Link #29
Gankutsuou

This thread is very useful. Thanks alot for the info.

I'm glad to see that Ookiku Furikabutte is selling so well. The third or fourth best selling anime series of the year so far. I checked ORICON just earlier and the first and second volumes are back on the top twenty which is amazing. I'm also glad that LUCKY STAR is huge in Japan, hopefully that means a second season is very likely.
Gankutsuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 07:02   Link #30
Westlo
Lets be reality

Hey Siegel Clyne/Arsene Lupin, got any dvd charts from the las few months?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 09:24   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Hey Siegel Clyne/Arsene Lupin, got any dvd charts from the las few months?
eggplant has been updating the posts on the first page with new data regularly. Most of the newer releases are here.
Old 2007-09-26, 01:41   Link #32
Westlo
Lets be reality

Oh.. thanks for that, feel silly missing it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 09:00   Link #33
Siegel Clyne

Animation Titles in the Top 30 All-Time Video Bestsellers List of Japan (VHS + DVD)

Top 30 All-Time Video Sales Rankings (VHS + DVD Sales Totals Rankings) of Japan (Oricon Scanned Sales Data)

Regular Edition VHS with Japanese Dub + Regular Edition VHS with Japanese Subtitles + Special/Limited Edition VHS with Japanese Dub + Special/Limited Edition VHS with Japanese Subtitles + Regular Edition DVD (Special/Limited Edition DVD Not Included in Sales Totals)

VHS Aggregate Period: 1990/12/03 - 2005/08/29; DVD Aggregate Period: 1999/04/05 - 2007/10/29

Rank | Copies Sold | Title | DVD/VHS with Release Date(s)

*1. 4,004,123 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi [Spirited Away] (DVD/VHS) 2002/07/19

*2. 1,920,440 Titanic (VHS) 1998/11/20

*3. 1,785,262 Finding Nemo (DVD/VHS) 2004/06/18

*4. 1,684,592 Harry Potter to Himitsu no Heya [Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets] (DVD/VHS) 2003/04/25

*5. 1,675,350 Harry Potter to Kenja no Ishi [Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone] (DVD/VHS) 2002/05/15

*8. 1,245,126 Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro] (DVD) 2001/09/28; (VHS) 1997/06/27

*9. 1,203,437 Howl no Ugoku Shiro [Howl's Moving Castle] (DVD) 2005/11/16

10. 1,196,270 Mononoke Hime [Princess Mononoke] (VHS) 1998/06/26; (VHS) (DVD) 2001/11/21

17. **827,718 Monsters Inc. (DVD/VHS) 2002/09/20

18. **783,175 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa [Laputa: Castle In The Sky] (DVD) 2002/10/04; (VHS) 1998/09/18

19. **769,223 Mr. Incredible [The Incredibles] (DVD) 2005/06/15

22. **756,218 Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä [Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind] (DVD) 2003/11/19; (VHS) 1997/09/19

23. **720,390 Aladdin (DVD) 04/10/08; (VHS) 1994/08/26

24. **699,638 Bijo to Yajuu [Beauty and the Beast] (DVD) 02/10/25; (VHS) 1993/09/17

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi DVD and VHS Sales Figures According to Oricon

1,623,464 VHS Scanned Sales as of 2002/09/30 (Release Date: 2002/07/19)

2,278,956 DVD Scanned Sales as of 2007/02/26 (Release Date: 2002/07/19)

Legendary animation filmmaker Miyazaki Hayao reigns supreme over video sales in Japan, leading the pack with Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle In The Sky, and Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 18:29   Link #34
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Anyone know what the turn around time for Dvd Releases of anime movies in Japan after it finishes it is run in the theaters? And how long do they stay in theaters?
Old 2007-11-24, 19:15   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Anyone know what the turn around time for Dvd Releases of anime movies in Japan after it finishes it is run in the theaters? And how long do they stay in theaters?
Well, from what I've observed from recent anime movies, the DVDs tend to appear about 6 or 7 months later, or so, and the theatre run lasts a few months. I'm sure, like everywhere else, it isn't a hard rule.
Old 2007-11-24, 19:17   Link #36
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

SO No eva movie fansubs till at earlist march and no Kara No Kyokai till june or july.
Old 2007-11-28, 15:34   Link #37
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Let me ask a stupid question about the sales figures. What precisely does the asterisk indicate? For instance, how should we read these results for Initial D?

2001/08/29 30,671 Third Stage SPECIAL BOX (Motion picture)
2002/01/01 *6,706 DVD-BOX 2 (Thirteen episodes)
2002/05/15 20,398 BATTLE STAGE

I read this as meaning DVD-BOX 2 had sales in the five-digits, but we don't know what the first digit was. Is that correct, or is the asterisk just a place-holder and it really sold just 6,706 copies? That was my first impression, but I was never really sure if that was correct interpretation.

Here are few other examples of things I've pondered. For Eureka 7 we have:

2006/01/27 *5,652 Vol. 7 Standard Edition
2006/01/27 **,*** Vol. 7 UMD Limited Edition
2006/02/24 *5,557 Vol. 8 Standard Edition

Does the entry **,*** mean it did five-digit sales, but could be any number from 10,000 to 99,999? Or does it mean we don't know how many were sold? If the latter, how is that different from "**NA*"? The figures for Hajime no Ippo include this sequence:

2002/03/21 **N/A* Vol. 13
2002/04/24 **,*** Vol. 14
2002/05/22 **,*** Vol. 15
2002/06/21 **,*** Vol. 16
2002/07/24 **,*** Vol. 17
2002/08/21 **,*** Vol. 18
2002/09/25 *1,163 Vol. 19

So the figures for Vol. 13 are "not available," but the figures for Vol. 14 are what exactly? "Not available, but not zero?" I would think the same could be said for Vol. 13.

Maybe these things are obvious to everyone else here, but I just thought I'd ask. I looked over the notes at the beginning, and searched the text for "asterisk" and "star" and didn't find an answer to my question.

Thanks so much to eggplant and Siegel Clyne, in particular, and to anyone else who has contributed to amassing and maintaining this treasure trove of data!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 15:45   Link #38
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I think the Asterisks * are fill ins for the blank space
Old 2007-11-29, 01:41   Link #39
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Let me ask a stupid question about the sales figures. What precisely does the asterisk indicate? For instance, how should we read these results for Initial D?

2001/08/29 30,671 Third Stage SPECIAL BOX (Motion picture)
2002/01/01 *6,706 DVD-BOX 2 (Thirteen episodes)
2002/05/15 20,398 BATTLE STAGE

I read this as meaning DVD-BOX 2 had sales in the five-digits, but we don't know what the first digit was. Is that correct, or is the asterisk just a place-holder and it really sold just 6,706 copies? That was my first impression, but I was never really sure if that was correct interpretation.
Sorry for the belated reply.
I guess my explanation for the legend on reply #2 was ambiguous, so allow me to answer.

As Xellos-_^ mentioned, the asteriks are a place holder, for the purpose of properly aligning and showing the digits.

In the case quoted above, *6,706 refers to six thousand seven hundred and six.

Quote:
Here are few other examples of things I've pondered. For Eureka 7 we have:

2006/01/27 *5,652 Vol. 7 Standard Edition
2006/01/27 **,*** Vol. 7 UMD Limited Edition
2006/02/24 *5,557 Vol. 8 Standard Edition

Does the entry **,*** mean it did five-digit sales, but could be any number from 10,000 to 99,999? Or does it mean we don't know how many were sold? If the latter, how is that different from "**NA*"? The figures for Hajime no Ippo include this sequence:

2002/03/21 **N/A* Vol. 13
2002/04/24 **,*** Vol. 14
2002/05/22 **,*** Vol. 15
2002/06/21 **,*** Vol. 16
2002/07/24 **,*** Vol. 17
2002/08/21 **,*** Vol. 18
2002/09/25 *1,163 Vol. 19

So the figures for Vol. 13 are "not available," but the figures for Vol. 14 are what exactly? "Not available, but not zero?" I would think the same could be said for Vol. 13.
"N/A" is, as you mentioned, "not available", which differs from the "**,***" notation.
The DVD sales listed on page 1 is based on Oricon's weekly tabulation of the TOP 300 DVD sales figures, wherein numbers for the top 100 titles are listed on their "Original Confidence" magazine, a weekly industrial publication with the cover price of 4,900 yen per issue.

The only people who can obtain these numbers are subscribers of this magazine, or people who subsequently visit the National Diet Library, where this publication is categorized. The tracking process of DVD sales for older titles have picked up with the help of many enthusiastic anime fans, especially on 2ch. However, there are specific issues where the sales figures are either still unkwnown or not listed, hence the "N/A" notation.

On the other hand, since these figures are based on overall top 100 sales (not just anime related titles) , there are cases in which a certain volume for an anime title (or all volumes for a certain anime) did not crack the TOP 100. These cases are denoted with the "**,***" mark, citing that it is a figure below that of #100, in comparison with a title which did manage to place itself in the charts, as indicated with a number. I really should add a "(under *1,000)" mark for example, to state that it sold less than the #100 ranking title for that corresponding week, but I don't have those figures on hand.

Oricon does tabulate weekly sales for #101-300, but the only time we get to see some of those numbers is when they announce their top 30 monthly DVD sales and top 500 annual sales, where the aggregate sales for titles that are ranked in this section, are added on.

Thus, sales figures for titles (or volumes) between #101-300 that have never cracked the top 100 are impossible to track down. You may have noticed that some noteworthy titles (even North America licensed ones) fail to earn a spot on this list due to poor sales.

I hope this answers your question, and I appreciate your compliments. Since I'm already out of space on the first page, sales figures for the 2008 season will be listed on the most recent post when the time arrives.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 20:40   Link #40
Nu Gundam

Top 25 Anime for sales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ynLdJDvc5w

Not meant to incite flaming or anything, just an intresting vid.

Some Shockers on that list (ZZ!) somethings I think are mis-ranked (Destiny)

Gundam has a crazy strong presence on this list, but Evangelion smoked everything else, coming in at around double the 2nd place.
Nu Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sales, statistics