AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2012-06-17, 22:27   Link #201
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... there's not really a clean line for a number of groups.... especially since all of the "classic" metal bands almost qualify as mainstream rock/pop to a young metal enthusiast compared to death metal or metalcore.
Old 2012-06-18, 14:43   Link #202
Matt777

Quite confused by this thread after reading a few lines. However, I thought I would put my two cents in. I grew up with metal and have always loved it. However, throughout the years metal has become increasingly generic and divided up into endless sub-genre after sub-genre. This started around 2000 when labels started signing bands just because they could growl, scream or play a few rhyths. On the other hand, 2000 was the era when Manson and Slipknot came onto the global stage (new metal or now Emo for the younger generation) and kids decided wearing black and putting some make-up on their face made them cool. The problem is with metal, is a lot of the really good bands are overshadowed in the industry, Why? (1) because so many crap bands are signed by labels (2) the birth of new metal and (3) the stigma to this day that metal brings. Today I can listen to anything from black metal (like sigh for example) to j-pop (like kalafina). To me music is about atmosphere. If the band can bring a unique sound, and moving atmosphere, that can make you think then it is always a welcome surprise.

Hahaha this probably is not the right place to say this, but as Japan was one of the black metal pioneering countries, Japan does have some very good black metal bands. Seeing Sigh live is just an amazing experience. Needless to say, Japan does also have some amazing power metal, hard rock, metal and death metal bands. I could always do a long list like elsewhere in this thread but don't have the energy. Plus to go through a list of European metal bands could take me a couple of months (a bit like me trying to remember every band I have seen live in the past ten years). So instead I will keep with the topic of the forum and name a few Asian metal bands that are popular at the moment.

Chthonic – Taiwanese traditional music mixed with Balck Metal (Black Metal not to everyones taste but amazing sounding band and sure to be massive outside Taiwan).
Galneryus – Japanese Power Metal (Reminds me a lot of Dragonforce)
Ishtar – Korean Metal (Female vocals not to everyone’s taste but I really like the female operatical sound).
Dark Mirror ov Tragedy (South Korean Symthonic Black metal reminds me of the mid era of Dimmu Bogir)

I would list more, but I have to write for my own website, instead of writing on this forum. I'm getting a little carried away.
Matt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 16:09   Link #203
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... there's not really a clean line for a number of groups.... especially since all of the "classic" metal bands almost qualify as mainstream rock/pop to a young metal enthusiast compared to death metal or metalcore.
Yeah, modern "metal" (or what it's fans consider "real metal") is so overdone with super-distorted riffs and indecipherable lyrics that the classic stuff looks soft compared to it.
Old 2012-06-22, 12:33   Link #204
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
It has finally happened, guys. This should be especially interesting for you, Haladflire65.

After over a year without a frontman, Kamelot has revealed their new singer, Tommy Karevik. The thirty-year-old Scandinavian has been the vocalist of progressive metal band Seventh Wonder since 2005 and has recently gained some further fame by helping out Kamelot on their latest tour. Here are two videos featuring him performing the song 'Center of the Universe' by Kamelot as well as the track 'Paradise' by Seventh Wonder.

Spoiler for space:

What's your opinion on Kamelot's decision? I personally am not a very big fan of Karevik. He doesn't sound different enough from Khan but at the same time also not as good. I guess I'll have to see. I trust the bands ability to make the right decisions and try to let the upcomming album convince me in september.

Last edited by ZGoten; 2012-06-23 at 12:38.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 17:47   Link #205
Who

Okay, I've refrained from posting this for a LONG time, but contrary to what the title says, I'm not into metal.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I am willing to explore the genre, so anyone want to recommend a few songs/bands? I want to start out with the softer variates.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 18:38   Link #206
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Okay, I've refrained from posting this for a LONG time, but contrary to what the title says, I'm not into metal.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I am willing to explore the genre, so anyone want to recommend a few songs/bands? I want to start out with the softer variates.
You've probably been hearing 'metal' and didn't know it...
Start with the classics from the 80s and work up to present day. The older stuff is a lot easier of a gateway for most folks.

Black Sabbath (fronted by Ozzie Osbourne before he went solo), Iron Maiden. Def Leppard was originally considered metal if you can believe that.

Shreddy but melodic stuff by Ronny James Dio or Yngwie Malmsteem.

Guns'n'Roses has been categorized as "glam metal"... and then there's Metallica (first few albums)

For the various present day sub-genre, I'll have to hand off to someone else... though I'm reading now that Wolfmother has been categorized as "retro-metal" by some (I had just tagged them as 'hard rock' but whatever).

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-07-05 at 18:00.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 19:22   Link #207
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post

Let me try and introduce you to different bands of different genres that aren't too extreme. Maybe you like some of it. If you are searching for melodies, try the Power Metal section. If you are searching for bombastic choirs, try symphonic power metal first and if you are looking for a bit more traditional stuff, check out Heavy Metal. If none of it peeks your interest, alternative stuff might.

Spoiler for Alternative Metal:

Spoiler for Heavy Metal:

Spoiler for Power Metal:

Spoiler for Symphonic Power Metal:
Old 2012-07-05, 14:31   Link #208
Otarusama
{ :

Huge metal fan here. I've been playing guitar for a little over 10 years (started off as a jazz guitarist, go figure). Got into Lamb of God and then Cannibal Corpse and it was over.

Been really into the DJENT scene lately. Dude's like Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor and Tosin Abasi are such huge influences to me.

Djent is just an onomatopoeia for the tight mid-rangey palm muted guitar sounds that they frequently use (with a lot of noise supression in between). It's not really a genre.

This is definitely one to check out (this is Tosin's band but Misha played all the rhythm parts). All instrumental all day eeryday.

This next one is Periphery, Misha's full time band. Some pretty tasty riffs in this as well.

Lemme know if you dig it!
Old 2012-07-05, 18:10   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the retro-metal vein, here's a couple of Wolfmother's tunes:
"Sundial"

"White Unicorn"

"New Moon Rising"
Old 2012-07-23, 09:07   Link #210
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Kamelot have now revealed the title and cover of there upcomming tenth studio album. It is due october and will be called 'Silverthorn'. Additionally, they recently played a song from that very album. It's titled 'Sacrimony' and sounds refreshingly different.

Spoiler for space:

Somehow I get the feeling that this will be the most symphonic sounding Kamelot record so far.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:31   Link #211
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ The cover's a promo, they revealed a tiny bit of the actual one... tease, much >.>

I missed your earlier Kamelot post, ZGoten! As you know I like Tommy quite a lot from Seventh Wonder so I'm excited to see how well he'll do with Kamelot He has a great range, too, so perhaps he can bring some more soaring melodies to Kamelot. Apparently he helped a lot with the songwriting for Silverthorn. I'm hoping for the best but trying not to get my expectations up too much.

Spoiler for Silverthorn stuff:

Personally, I love how everything's sounding so far. Tommy seems to be doing great and I can't wait for the album. It does indeed sound more symphonic and I'm also hopeful since I've heard that none of the band members liked Poetry for the Poisoned, either, so they want to get back to the sound of older albums like Black Halo and Karma.

On another note, I'm getting more into black metal I've been listening to Fleshgod Apocalypse and Be'lakor lately, pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2012-07-23 at 09:43.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 11:43   Link #212
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
As you know I like Tommy quite a lot from Seventh Wonder so I'm excited to see how well he'll do with Kamelot He has a great range, too, so perhaps he can bring some more soaring melodies to Kamelot.
To be honest, I was sceptical of that at first. I didn't like him too much when he was touring with Kamelot as a guest musician. Some of the latest videos with him as the new official frontman sound really good, though. I guess he needed some time to adapt to the songs and the general style. Tommy's vocal style on stage sounds actually pretty close to how Roy sang during the good old times. I'm really under the impression that Tommy took some time off to watch Khan on "One Cold Winter's Night" really closely. Just look at the way he's holding and tilting the mic at times. That's not to sound critical, though. I like the fact that he actually sounds and acts similarly to how Roy did.

Here are some of my favorite performances:

Spoiler for space:
Old 2012-07-24, 19:50   Link #213
Berserkguard

I like metal! But I really just listen to J-Pop now, stupid anime xD

Anyways, I like bands such as Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Powerglove, Dragonforce, etc.

Pretty much into power/classic/heavy metal, I guess.
Old 2012-07-27, 16:39   Link #214
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkguard View Post
Anyways, I like bands such as Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Powerglove, Dragonforce, etc.
Yeah, that's pretty good "safe" metal right there.

Discoveries like this make me want to get into the genre full-time. I have a terrible feeling that there are countless rather unknown (at least in my neck of the woods) gems like this out there that I haven't discovered yet. The Swedes deliver once again.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 17:26   Link #215
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
Yeah, that's pretty good "safe" metal right there.

Discoveries like this make me want to get into the genre full-time. I have a terrible feeling that there are countless rather unknown (at least in my neck of the woods) gems like this out there that I haven't discovered yet. The Swedes deliver once again.
Ohhhhhh, this is f'ing fabulous!!!!
Old 2012-07-29, 16:23   Link #216
Flame-X
Anti-fan

I'm more into the melodic metal side. I can dig any kind of metal as long as it's catchy. Industrial, symphonic, alternative, goth, and nu are my usual listens.

Spoiler for My recent discoveries:
Old 2012-07-29, 19:07   Link #217
InfiniteDistance

I just typed up a long ass post that went poof. Ugh. Shortened version: metal is my greatest passion and I listen to a LOT of it. Lots of doom, death, black, progressive or a combination of these. I love the fact that the music keeps evolving and that bits and pieces from different genres are molded together to create new things.

Some stuff I absolutely love:

My Dying Bride
Draconian
Swallow the Sun
Tiamat
Moonspell
Agalloch
Bolt Thrower
Vomitory
Insomnium
Noumena
Be'lakor
Emperor
Deathspell Omega
Alcest
Enslaved
Solstafir
Gojira
Obscura
Most stuff by Devin Townsend

You probably get the idea. One thing I definitely don't like is (classic) power metal. Stuff like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Queensryche, the second part of most Dream Theater songs, Dragonforce.. stuff with lots of soloing and high pitched clean vocals. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Without getting spammy, here are 3 songs that are absolutely top of the bill for me:

Tiamat - Whatever that hurts

This started my appreciation for doom metal. This song is so..lush, yet has these really slow and dark riffs going on.

Machine Head - Davidian

This makes me want to headbang and mosh. It just grooves and grooves and I get never get sick of this song.

Novembre - Anaemia

A bit of doom and death metal, yet it's quite melodic. Pretty catchy, but with a somber approach. I love the melancholy they instill in their songs.

--

I can also see Diablo Swing Orchestra discussed here. I discovered them recently and they're quite refreshing, their songs strangely want to make me dance in a non-metal way.

The typical elitist anti-nu metal stuff is getting pretty stale. Can't say I'm really into nu metal, but using terms like 'real metal' is pretty laughable. Real metal doesn't exist. I'm really glad that there's no such thing as just metal anymore, there's just a LOT of extreme music that keeps evolving into new stuff. Some stuff I don't like, but I'm glad we have more than just Black Sabbath.
Old 2012-07-30, 01:12   Link #218
Otarusama
{ :

F**k yeah Gojira and Obscura! =D
Old 2012-08-21, 21:15   Link #219
BossNoval
Different & Unique~

just love these two

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

although i don't know much about metal genre
cause i always listen to everything comfortable for my ears, completely ignore about genres
BossNoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 04:17   Link #220
IndustrialClef
Galactic Chicken Shit

I am a metal head though I am fan of different genres as well. I have also a soft spot for J-Metal/Rock. I can listen to any kind of metal/rock but I am more partial to normal heavy metal, symphonic, gothic, glam and industrial metal. Got it in for hard rock and rock n roll too! Though listing those genres down, I would say I am more fan of music where I can't quite put my finger on what genre it is. My favorite band of all time is Nightwish.

Tags
metal