AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-07-31, 22:51   Link #201
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Which should you get? Neither.

The stores you've linked to are bootleg providers and the products themselves are bootlegs. Now, will a mod purge of those links?
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 22:54   Link #202
Nagi_Souichiro

Does Anybody know a link to a site that has the actual dvd's? Not the bootlegs?
Nagi_Souichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 23:03   Link #203
ShinDragon

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 23:06   Link #204
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagi_Souichiro
Does Anybody know a link to a site that has the actual dvd's? Not the bootlegs?
Tenjo Tenge ROUND.1 - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-14991

Volume 2 and 3 will be out on August 25th and September 29th.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 23:42   Link #205
xelloss99
DVD Maniac

Or if you want Geneon's North American version (which will be cheaper than the Japanese release and with subtitles), then you'll have to wait until it comes out sometime in Spring 2005. Until then, if you see any version with English subtitles, it's a bootleg.
Another hint for bootlegs: If it has Chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg.
xelloss99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 01:25   Link #206
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelloss99
Another hint for bootlegs: If it has Chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg.
Are you calling the R3 Official DVDs bootlegs? They have only Chinese subtitles you know, and they are produced by respectable media companies including Disney (Taiwan), P/M or Koudanshou (Taiwan).

There's not much now to really differentiate bootlegs anymore. Though if the DVD has Chinese and English subs, it is 99% probable it is a boot leg (the 1% exception being the Disney Ghibli & P/M media group Classic Storybook R3 DVD).

The only real indication of a bootleg from the East is now an amazing ahead-of-official-announced-schedule release, as well as a a "OMG-I-can't-believe-this-price" for as many as 8 episodes on a single DVD.

To the topic at hand, yes, they are bootlegs. None of the R3 legal media companies have announced getting Tenjou Tenge yet.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 01:37   Link #207
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

I think the Region 0 (region-free) is more of a hint of a bootleg than Chinese subtitles.But official region-free releases DO exist, just not that many. Chinese & English subtitles, plus region 0, plus insane cheap price, then you can be pretty sure it's a bootleg.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 03:54   Link #208
xelloss99
DVD Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Are you calling the R3 Official DVDs bootlegs? They have only Chinese subtitles you know, and they are produced by respectable media companies including Disney (Taiwan), P/M or Koudanshou (Taiwan).

There's not much now to really differentiate bootlegs anymore. Though if the DVD has Chinese and English subs, it is 99% probable it is a boot leg (the 1% exception being the Disney Ghibli & P/M media group Classic Storybook R3 DVD).
What I meant, of course, is Chinese subtitles in addition to English subtitles as you mentioned in the latter sentence. Not many people here would buy a disc if it had only Chinese subtitles.
xelloss99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 06:07   Link #209
jamxmzn

how to tell bootleg dvd from real dvd

hi just want to ask this question cos i realise that the dvds i buy(originls from shops) the english subs are very bad... just want to know why izzit so bad
jamxmzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 07:18   Link #210
hacks21

is this original anime?

this is the web http://www.bootlegs.r.us/ i bought a few from here but now to think of it each dvd consists of 8 episodes ..........is this really original or have i been cheated?

Last edited by xris; 2004-08-02 at 08:00. Reason: Removed link to bootlegs
hacks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 07:20   Link #211
hacks21

RAHXEPHON and fruits basket only has 3 dvd which each dvd has 8 or 9 episodes in it ......anyone can help me find out whether its original because as far as i know most original has only 3 to 4 episodes in one dvd ....
Old 2004-08-02, 08:02   Link #212
xris
Just call me Ojisan

These are bootlegs, so yes you have been cheated. For more info I suggest you use the Search feature and look for "bootlegs".

I'm going to merge a bunch of threads together since we are getting to many of these sort of inquiries. Closing thread.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 08:21   Link #213
lamer_de

You can tell apart a good and a bad english sub? Amazing, because your lack of grammar and spelling does suggest otherwise. Anyway, bootlegs have:

-no region coding (Region 0)
-chinese subtitles (while there are legit releases with chinese subs, those are in the vast minority. I think there are around 4-6 legit releases with chn. subs, mosty movies)
-still running series/series which have been licensed only recently
-high episode counts (like 3-4 discs for 26 eps)
-paper fold outs that hold the dvds for complete series instead of paper boxes and the usual DVD cases.

So yes, the DVDs you bought are bootlegs

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-08-02, 08:28   Link #214
ShinDragon

Those legit Chinese DVD (R3) will only have Chinese subs.. some might also have Chinese Dub, too.
If there are anime DVD with both Chinese & English or not R3 DVDs..... most likely it's bootleg.
Old 2004-08-02, 17:52   Link #215
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
It still disgusts me people still willingly purchase bootlegs, which are not only a copyright violation in most countries (like fansubs are), but exist to provide a stream of money to parties not entitled to earn a damn cent from their robbing. It doesn't matter how good the quality is - there's simply no justification for it.
I was waiting for someone to say that. My thoughts exactly.

When you buy a bootleg, you are getting exactly that: a bootleg. Just because you paid money for it, it doesn't make it any more legitimate than downloading the series for free online. In fact, it's a lot worse IMO, since you're (willingly or not) helping some dickhead profit from another's work. If you really MUST have a series and you aren't able to buy a legit DVD, then download it if you have to. At least that way some fucktard isn't getting rich off of something they have no right to.
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 18:33   Link #216
hacks21

man i bought 400$ of anime from this bastard company

www.akdvd.com

i was totally ripped i even paid the same amount to buy an original
Old 2004-08-03, 23:32   Link #217
bohemian
坂本真綾さん最高

This is an interesting thread, and I'm sure most anime fans had experience on bootlegs, now let me share my thoughts:

Generally, I avoid bootlegs as often as possible. Even though they are cheap, they still cost money to buy. If I can find BT of my favorite animes, I won't hesitate to download them and will never buy any DVD (both bootleg and legit) even if they are available. For some old shows where BT are hard to find, I will buy bootlegs. Most (I should say all) bootlegs are from HK/China, the heaven for piracy of copyrighted stuffs (in addition to anime, also music, computer software, movie, games, etc). Btw, Hong Kong is my hometown (now I'm in the United States).

The reason why bootlegs have english subtitles is because the HK market is not big enough for the piracy industry, thus a large chunk of the market consist of overseas (predominately the US). And as far as I know, some Japanese people also buy HK bootlegs since Japanese anime DVD are insanely expensive (over 6000 yen per disc, around US$60 for a single 4-eps DVD).

The majority of concerns from US buyers are not the legal issues, but the quality of the subs. Since I speak Chinese as my first language myself, I always watch Chinese subtitles on these bootlegs. I never tried the English subtitles on these bootlegs so I would not judge on them, but most of the time the Chinese subs are good in my opinion. My best guess for the poor English sub quality is that they are second hand translation, which means they are not done by people who speaks English as their first language. I'm sure whoever did the sub have a good understanding of Japanese, but their English skills are questionable. As a result, most English subtitles in bootlegs are crappy.

As for why bootlegs exist in the first place? Well, we should have learned the answer from a microeconomics textbook; there won't be anyone supplying bootlegs if no one demands them. There is a reason why people want to buy bootlegs: Many of the anime viewers are young people or students who only have a limited disposable income (sadly), if one could buy a favorite series for less than half the price of a legitimate release, that person will probably opt for the lowest price available, that's simple and normal consumer behavior, no? Not to mention that bootlegs are faster to come by than R1 DVD. For instance, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam and Turn A Gundam will not be available in the United States in the near future, the only source for US viewers to see them is through bootlegs, this is sad but true. I got the bootlegs for these two titles many years ago even before I saw their fansubs on BT.

I for one do not condone bootlegs, but I did download most of my anime through BT. Since it is even cheaper than bootlegs and is the lesser of two evils.

Last edited by bohemian; 2004-08-04 at 00:34.
bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 17:16   Link #218
dardel-kun
Gold Saint of Aries

Send a message via ICQ to dardel-kun Send a message via MSN to dardel-kun
Hi I have a question, I search the internet for certain anime dvd's and i find a good web site http://www.-----.com but after i read this article i am not longer certain that this web site offers true anime dvd's or bootlegs, can I ask for your help please?

Last edited by GHDpro; 2004-08-05 at 18:40. Reason: URL removed
dardel-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 17:27   Link #219
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardel-kun
Hi I have a question, I search the internet for certain anime dvd's and i find a good web site http://www.-----.com but after i read this article i am not longer certain that this web site offers true anime dvd's or bootlegs, can I ask for your help please?
They have both.....

Last edited by GHDpro; 2004-08-05 at 18:40. Reason: URL removed
Old 2004-08-05, 18:16   Link #220
dardel-kun
Gold Saint of Aries

Send a message via ICQ to dardel-kun Send a message via MSN to dardel-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinDragon
They have both.....
In this case could you please look all the one piece dvd's if they are bootlegs? i was looking fot the tv series and the movies. Also saint seiya tv, asgard, poseidon, hades ova and movies...
dardel-kun is offline   Reply With Quote