AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-11, 07:06   Link #3361
Sciel
Etoilé

Max Factory Mio arrived today . Have to say the thing is gorgeous ~ . Will probably end up displaying her with Kureha.

Here is a question for all you figure-fanatics. How would you rank the current figure-making companies?
Personally amongst the "big" companies ,

Max Factory > GSC / Alter > Kotobukiya > Everything else

1) I find Max Factory's products to always be excellent all round in sculpt , finishing , etc (Except for figmas that is) .
2) Alter and GSC are about tied with for me . GSCs figures always seem to have better slightly better poses/sculpting whilst Alter's have better coloring/finishing.
3) Kotobukiya comes dead last amongst the "big" companies . Average in everything . I personally have one figure from them and whilst the figure was okay-ish one particular bit disappointed me greatly . Their figures also seem to differ from the prototype the most imo.
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:31   Link #3362
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

My ranking would be close to that though I'd also put Wave very close to the top; I've been really impressed with basically everything I've seen from them, especially in regards to characters' faces. Their Fortune Arterial figures are among my favorites in my collection and I know next to nothing about that game/series.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:39   Link #3363
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Hm, I have no Max Factory figures yet. One on my wishlist (still considering whether to get her or not) but GSC, Alter and Koto are all top tier; they have some misses, and some phenomenal figures but as a whole are generally excellent. Not seen enough Max Factory to judge them.

Over half of my collection is Griffon, and I know they actually drop the ball pretty regularly; their faces can be particularly bad, and even a couple figures I actually have, I'm not terribly fond of the faces, but I still buy them because I adore the characters.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 13:56   Link #3364
Stefkov

Alter is top for me, nearly all my scale models are made by Alter. I think everything they make looks incredible, they look like they have more detail and the colours are always fantastic, e.g. Yoko Bounty Hunter, the best Yoko figure I own.
GSC is close behind, the Senjogahara I just got looks incredible, as do the others I have. I guess Wave should be near the top, their Yoko figure is really nice.
I don't think I have any Max Factory figures, or any from other companies. I tend to solely look at at Alter and GSC out of habit, in the past I haven't seen any that look as good as the stuff they make.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 21:01   Link #3365
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
http://www.hobby-frontier.com/phpThumb.php?src=/images/detailed/MH81068_img01.jpg&w=458&aoe=1&q=90

This just came in as an Pre-Order at Hobby Frontier! Great price as well, really thinking of reserving her, but I already have 4 Pre-Orders in May.

Nice figures there Zeroryoko1974 by the way, what Anime are they from?
It's mainly Fate from Magical Lyrical Nanoha. It would take awhile to list all the ones in the background on the shelf
Old 2011-02-11, 21:46   Link #3366
Qikz

Parcelforce, I hate you.

I paid their customs charges and asked for my Miku to be delivered thursday. They didn't show up and their tracking hasn't updated. I sent them an email to ask what the hells up with that. Last time I order with EMS as you usually get away free of customs charges with SAL and also it ends up quicker with the speed Parcelforce go at. -.-
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 09:47   Link #3367
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Parcelforce, I hate you.

I paid their customs charges and asked for my Miku to be delivered thursday. They didn't show up and their tracking hasn't updated. I sent them an email to ask what the hells up with that. Last time I order with EMS as you usually get away free of customs charges with SAL and also it ends up quicker with the speed Parcelforce go at. -.-
Yes, I read somewhere that if you choose SAL or anything else other then EMS, then Customs/Parcel Force won't take into count the "cost" for the shipping when they work out how much to rip you off with the charges.

So I might change my shipping options to something else, but I still want tracking and cover.
Old 2011-02-12, 14:09   Link #3368
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

"Usually" is the word

I had many SAL packages pass customs without cost (and @ €47 value limit, VAT comes very soon)
but in general, everything passing €100 always got intercepted and taxed
Old 2011-02-12, 17:49   Link #3369
Xion Valkyrie

Alter > GSC/Resinya > Max Factory/Excellent Model Core > Kotobukiya.

These are pretty much the primary companies I buy from.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 12:40   Link #3370
Dralha

Horo and Apple:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-02-13, 15:54   Link #3371
ShinigamiRukia
Ketchup Drinker

Send a message via MSN to ShinigamiRukia
I hope it's alright to ask here, but does any other online shop sell Touhou figures aside from AmiAmi? I'm trying to get my hands on these two.
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=engli...e_display.html

Thanks mangalowres for the avatar ^^
Thanks vandakiara
for the sig. ^^
ShinigamiRukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 18:39   Link #3372
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinigamiRukia View Post
I hope it's alright to ask here, but does any other online shop sell Touhou figures aside from AmiAmi? I'm trying to get my hands on these two.
You're going to have to hit up ebay or similar auction sites (yahoo Japan?) as they sold out in pre-order stage.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 20:49   Link #3373
-Kh-
ポルカ

I just pre-ordered this Katsura Hinagiku - On the Stage, kinda cosplaying Meer Campbell from the episode where she sings Cruel Angel Thesis during her birthday.

The release date is the end of April, can't wait!
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 21:45   Link #3374
Sciel
Etoilé

Can't believe i forgot about that episode :s . That figure looks quite good TBH ! My only complaint is that its by kotobukiya . I do think the face is slightly off though maybe its due to the manga/anime not transitioning that well into figure form(?) .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 23:34   Link #3375
Kudryavka

Anyone ever backordered something from HLJ? Did it come in, and how long did it take?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 07:19   Link #3376
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Depends entirely on the item and if there is even any stock left for them to order.

Alright my Yui figure turned up today! EMS never ceases to amaze me, 3 working days (Thursday night my time to Monday morning) from Tokyo to rural Victoria.

I really like the box she came in too with the background taken from the scenery of the ED.

The image of Yui in the second photo is actually a removable clear background similar to a animation frame.

And to answer the question on everyone's lips...

Spoiler for NSFW?:

I like this figure a lot. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 08:13   Link #3377
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I would expect that from Yui. Mio wears stripes, and I imagine ritsu probably wears boxer shorts or something lol. Azu-nyan probably wears the same color as Mio and Mugi probably some expensive frilly lace pink ones. On a non K-on pantsu subject, a Ghostbusters figure
Old 2011-02-14, 14:15   Link #3378
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

That's a man!

Old 2011-02-15, 02:20   Link #3379
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Can't believe i forgot about that episode :s . That figure looks quite good TBH ! My only complaint is that its by kotobukiya . I do think the face is slightly off though maybe its due to the manga/anime not transitioning that well into figure form(?) .
I agree the face is not quite perfect, but it's one of the best Hinagiku figures I've seen, and the first one that I actually liked, even tho I've wanted to get one since 4 years ago. This is the same for Misaka Mikoto figures, they never look right, or happen to be in bikini, and I'm like why? I want some cool figure on her school uniform, not some cheap bikini with an ugly face.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 04:54   Link #3380
Revan21

Cute :3

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/196834