AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-12, 09:31   Link #41
K_R
also known as K!

There's something that has been bugging me since episode 2, I've been considering doing a poll about it...

Do viewers of seichi's GSG like the gun notes at the beginning? Or should I give it the chop?

--

-Relentless

I assume all the girls are trained in the use of rifles, pistols and other (eg. shotguns). I would say Triela's "signature" weapon is the M1897, since that's what she's pictured with in the GSG logo thing.

Rico's ability with assault rifles doesn't necessarily translate to sniper rifles. Full auto is not particularly easy to control... I think they put that in to demonstrate Triela's prowess and overall superiority. But it could also mean...

Spoiler:

I don't remember my shooting instruction being much more detailed that what Hilsher told Triela, don't forget he seemed to stop halfway through when he saw her doing it on her own. How to hold the gun, line up the sights. There's not a lot to tell...

As to their ages, I assume they're all the same age. Their height and mental maturity doesn't tell anything, remember, we're not all clones and some people grow faster than others.

Last edited by K_R; 2003-11-12 at 09:44.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 09:51   Link #42
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Do viewers of seichi's GSG like the gun notes at the beginning? Or should I give it the chop?
I'm not interested, but I like the gun notes just because I get to listen to the OP a second time. Plus, it can't be that hard to skip over them... although it would be easier if you used OGM.
Old 2003-11-12, 11:06   Link #43
aquilus
Dismember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Rico is waay too bad a shot with the Galil at the firing range considering that she's the team's sniper and has been at least two years "working" for the organization, don't you think?
Firing a sniper rifle is quite different than firing full auto/bursts from an assault rifle.
Quote:
Regarding the organization's amazing tactical prowess, did those clowns really, really believe they were going to fool anybody disguising little girls as maids? Sure, posh hotels hire elemental schoolers all time. Italy must have some weird Children's Labor laws, huh?
Well, it worked well enough
aquilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 14:06   Link #44
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
I love them. Please keep them.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 15:36   Link #45
Lambda

Well, I'm not watching seichi's version, so maybe it's not for me to say, but I still think it contains a point worth making; I, personally, am very glad the version I'm following (Triad) doesn't have any such notes. The anime really isn't about the technical details of firearms, (to me at least), so it seems inappropriate, perhaps even insensitive.

But then not every version has them, and choice is good. . .
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 23:57   Link #46
Relentless
Certifiably insane

I like the notes about the guns, but a bit of comment on their use in the anime would make them more relevant and less just dry specifications. While it's true GSG does not focus on the technical aspects of firearms, the author went to the lenght of giving each girl a different weapon. Might there even be a symbolic reason?

I still like to think the girls are of different ages since it fits with a pet theory of mine about how the anime might end :P

Rico has not shown abnormal strenght, probably her "upgrades" are mostly neural. She must have had some kind of nervous system illness that left her immobilized. Buuut...

Spoiler for manga chapter 9

Spoiler:

I was left with the impression that Triela may have had a previous supervisor before Hilsher, and he didn't know she was so experienced. I mean, how many times do you need to be told to align the sights? If they were practicing with bayonet, I half expect he would tell her: "Right, point the pointy end to the target!"

Last edited by Relentless; 2003-11-13 at 00:30.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 20:03   Link #47
Kensuke

Fourth episode was actually quite funny and happy, I laughed a lot, quite a mood change compared to third episode. Also finally some action (Triela rocks!), but some scenes were painful to watch, I feel sorry for Rico, and if this continues, it will be difficult for me to watch it... or maybe I'm too hooked to this series...

Spoiler:
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 07:03   Link #48
Gabriel710
Angel Of Death

Damn those spoilers are so tempting to highlite.

Well just saw ep 4 and damn I liked it. As kensuke said Triela rocks. I really dont think that the girls are the same age since Triela has her period and she looks older than the other girls. I guess Triela and Henrieta are the lucky ones since they dont get hit by theire brothers. I dont know about you guys but it just pisses me off that Jon is hitting Rico.
Spoiler:
Gabriel710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 07:52   Link #49
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel710
Damn those spoilers are so tempting to highlite.

Well just saw ep 4 and damn I liked it. As kensuke said Triela rocks. I really dont think that the girls are the same age since Triela has her period and she looks older than the other girls. I guess Triela and Henrieta are the lucky ones since they dont get hit by theire brothers. I dont know about you guys but it just pisses me off that Jon is hitting Rico.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2003-11-15, 11:00   Link #50
FlyByNite

Yea, Triela is a pretty cool character and she has looked older then the others. I'd guess she's around 11 or 12. Maybe 13, but that's probably pushing it.

I really liked episode 4. Definitely my favorite episode so far.

Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 03:53   Link #51
Go-lytely

Spoiler:

btw, anyone know what Jean's nationality is?
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 23:29   Link #52
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Boy after watching episode four it struck me - did anyone else think that going back to see his daughter with half the mob on his tail was perhaps the *stupidest* thing that Mafia boss could have done? I mean everyone know those folks are such nice guys and would never lay a finger on his family - right?

Actually, I'm finding this show pretty painful to watch. It's not the quality of the show - it's just the situation it places these kids in just seems so utterly unconscionable. It's almost like saying reality isn't cruel enough already, so we're going to try and make a show as gut wrenchingly brutal and heartless as possible. Seems like the writers were just told "take the most innocent characters you can come up with and run them through a physical and emotional meat grinder". I surprised they don't have an episode where the kids are forced to kill puppies and kittens ...or each-other (but, heh I kind of expect that's comming down the pike).

It's almost like watching demon rape "snuff" hentai - more frightening than the story itself is that there's a market for the stuff.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 23:35   Link #53
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Boy after watching episode four it struck me - did anyone else think that going back to see his daughter with half the mob on his tail was perhaps the *stupidest* thing that Mafia boss could have done? I mean everyone know those folks are such nice guys and would never lay a finger on his family - right?

Actually, I'm finding this show pretty painful to watch. It's not the quality of the show - it's just the situation it places these kids in just seems so utterly unconscionable. It's almost like saying reality isn't cruel enough already, so we're going to try and make a show as gut wrenchingly brutal and heartless as possible. Seems like the writers were just told "take the most innocent characters you can come up with and run them through a physical and emotional meat grinder". I surprised they don't have an episode where the kids are forced to kill puppies and kittens ...or each-other (but, heh I kind of expect that's comming down the pike).

It's almost like watching demon rape "snuff" hentai - more frightening than the story itself is that there's a market for the stuff.
True...this show reminds me of Noir, but ten times worse. I never watched an demon rape so I wouldnt know
Old 2003-11-16, 23:49   Link #54
skylion

New to watching fansubs, but love this series.

I am not what one would call an anime junkie, but thru my friends I keep a side interest in them. This show completely blows me away. When I heard about the english manga I had to call my local Barnes and Nobles to see if they would be getting it and they are, my copy is reserved. I cannot wait.
I am not the gun nut that some are, but I do believe that the girls individual guns do symbolize somthing. Rico is mostly lyconic, a perfect disposition for a sniper alone in her nest. Henrietta has the strength and tenacity (when she is in a gunfight) too wade into the fray, a submachine gun suits her. Trieal, so far, has worked as a adjunct to her sibling, so carries small arms (those brief seconds of her hand to hand fight in the streets of Naples were fantastic). The other girls, not much has been show about them in the four eps I have, but they seems to be sweepers. If these five girls ever work a mission together, they would seem to provide backup, it looks like they have semi-auto shotguns with lots of stopping power. But...I am probably wrong.
I like all the eps so far and would be hard pressed to pick my favorite. Ep 2 stands out to me because it provides alot of emotional backstory for Henrietta and Jose. His relationship too her is almost paternal, not brotherly. But he seems to regret his decision in both chosing her and working for the corporation. I could imagine him pulling a "Deckard" at the end, ala Blade Runner, and running off with her, but will have to wait and see.
skylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 00:06   Link #55
Anlushac11

Cool

Spoiler:
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 00:52   Link #56
skylion

to fansubber or future subtitlers or dubbers...

Spoiler Warning...

It might have brought some more dramatic tension had Triela not mentioned to Henrietta earlier in ep4 that she was having menstraul cramps. I don't know how that would help with character development as T seems fairly open about herself and her feelings. If she had only said something to Mario about it during the entire ep, it might have opened up some interesting things about her. She feels more comfortable talking to strangers than her friends.
Just conjecture really.

...end spoiler.

How do you do that neat highlight to read trick, btw?
Old 2003-11-17, 01:09   Link #57
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylion
Spoiler Warning...

...end spoiler.

How do you do that neat highlight to read trick, btw?
Spoiler]put in message here[/spoiler] with the [

I think is another way of doing it but I forgot
Old 2003-11-17, 02:55   Link #58
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlushac11
In Italy the Mafia still has their own code of honor, or so I was told.
They dont involve each others family members unless a member declares vendetta.
Somehow I think that's just an overly-romantic myth. The "honor among thief" bit may of had some truth at one time, but I think that's generally accepted as long gone. If it existed at all it was a rule between mob families (to avoid vendettas) - I really doubt it would be extended to someone who's turned traitor and no longer even part of the "family". When it comes down to the wire, you can bet they'll protect their own skin any way they can - indeed, the mob has often used such threats to keep it's members in the fold.

Not to mention this seems to be set in some future time where the mob is trafficking in children - I don't think there's much honor left after that.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 04:46   Link #59
skylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Spoiler]put in message here[/spoiler] with the [

I think is another way of doing it but I forgot
Thanks. Let's give it a test...

Spoiler:

Did that work?
Old 2003-11-17, 05:43   Link #60
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
I am really surprised by this show. When I first heard about it i wanted nothing to do with it. But after seeing a few posts at random sites i decided to give it a shot and must say that i love this show. Very dramatic though. Every episode leaves me bitter at these people who could do this to the adorable little girls.

Spoiler:
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen