AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 28.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 26.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-21, 09:08   Link #141
4Tran

I think that this was another great episode. It's not quite as fantastic as the first couple, but it certainly is settling into the story very well. Both the direction and the writing for Frontier has been quite a bit better than I expected. The character interaction was great, especially between Sheryl-Alto-Ranka. It's interesting to note that while Alto is technically our main lead, Sheryl and Ranka play equally big roles. So far, this is one of the best main lead casts I can recall in a long long time.

- There were two exceptional pieces of music - the first was the background music (clarinet?) that played while Ozma related Ranka's story, and the second was Ranka's song at the end. The latter is especially notable in the way it contrasts the highly public military funeral with the much more subdued one for Gillam. Kanno Yoko's putting her versatility to excellent use in this show.
- I do wish that they'd get away from the mecha melee in Frontier. It's not too bad in this episode since Ozma only resorted to it because his weapons couldn't kill that red Vajra, and it didn't help all that much anyways.
- I really liked the voice performance for Kanaria. It was pretty short, but it was very strong and nicely textured. I wondered where I'd heard her before, and then I saw the credits. Kuwashima Houko in yet another double role, this time without her distinctive inflection. Is there anything she can't do?
- Macross Frontier (or the Galaxy Network) has a shopping channel! And Sheryl watches it while she takes a bath! That's both utterly prosaic and completely awsome at the same time.
Old 2008-04-21, 09:28   Link #142
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
is it me or the "starship trooper" like space alien activate when ranka is singing?
if it s the case i hope it wont hinder her miss macross contest >_>would be a good reason to stop the singing
Old 2008-04-21, 10:00   Link #143
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
He could probably do that in any arena of life he so chooses I would think. They need to flesh that out better.
Not that many arenas of life where he can shoot back at the invaders.

Quote:
Nothing I guess? Which is why it is so rash. The typical, wide eyed kid syndrome. Sure, he may not feel better being the Kabuki 'princess' and all, but that is a stable if not outright regal life.
But that's not the life he wanted, even before the Vajra.

Quote:
Best planes or no, he could've chosen the military as a more than decent option. But I guess the military isn't using the best technology for god knows why (Macross 7 syndrome. All best suits only used for privateers).
More importantly, the military aren't the ones who saved his life, SMS pilots are. From his POV, they're the ones fighting back.

For that matter, how is the military better than SMS? Better burials? I don't think he cares.
Quote:
Again, we don't know the situation either way. It's understandable so I'm not really criticizing Alto for it. I know exactly how it feels even with support. It's not too different from people experiencing 9/11 then joining an extremely dangerous war. Their feelings may be there and all, but it's just not a straightforward decision but a rash one even if such events changed their outlook.
I think, if he hadn't learned about SMS' sideline, he'd have joined the military with their shiny planes that fly in space and their weapons that shoot thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Add to that impatience. Not generally a good thing.
Yeah, ok, impatience, I'll grant. I don't think it justifies saying he'll get someone killed, unless it's coupled with a pathological lack of self control.

Quote:
Alto has nothing to lose. He wants to get away from his house, tradition, etc. Even his everyday school life after joining aviation seems unsatisfactory to him as he complains in episode 1. This element of self-reliance and solidarity is worrisome, even if he himself doesn't see it.

He seems to resent himself when he finds himself getting saved by Mikhail in this episode. That attitude is dangerous. No man can stand alone, as much as he wishes.
Depends how it channels that attitude. There, too, it's a matter of self-control. Nobody is perfectly emotionally well-adjusted. It's too early to say if it'll be a problem or not.

Quote:
Point is that, it's not strange how he might be seen as 'not ready.'
Well, sure, he's not ready. Nobody's born ready to be a fighter pilot. That's why a warning of the difficulties ahead would have been much better than "Don't. You suck. But I won't tell you why."

Quote:
We don't know what is his issues, that's why we're not going into too much details.

But obviously he himself knows deep down it's something that he hasn't dealt with.

In anime cliche, I suppose this is where we say he hasn't gone up to his father donned in traditional clothes, takes them off while donning his SMS uniform instead while giving a speech saying on how he doesn't need his family's name and he will be his own man as he has a family that truly cares for him (( SMS )), etc and officially leaves.
Just once, I'd like for old family rifts to stay as they are. For the character to walk away from his family, and that'd be it.
Old 2008-04-21, 17:47   Link #144
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
have to question about the bugs, in episode 2 they showed the bug died after a knife in the neck, but blowing it's head off, and it's still alive?

does that mean the one that got knife is going to come back alive while on the zentradi morgue slab? i got a strange mental image of a zombie bug ripping open it's black bag and attacking a valkyrie in battloid mode wearing a white lab coat and surgical mask holding a scalpel.....

LOL.

oh well.... might be a different model or something....

Old 2008-04-21, 19:31   Link #145
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I think the bug didn't get shot in the head more like he got shot in the arms
Old 2008-04-21, 19:49   Link #146
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Depends how it channels that attitude. There, too, it's a matter of self-control. Nobody is perfectly emotionally well-adjusted. It's too early to say if it'll be a problem or not.
Yes, it's a matter of adjustment. Which links to character development. Judging from his outline, we can see that his attitude still goes back to his flying instincts and arrogance, in some way, as seen by how despite not being in the team's flight-formation, he still goes ahead and did it, forcing Sheryl and the flight team to have to 'wing' it through.

Well, the most important thing is that we haven't seen how he works in an actual military team environment where trying to be heroes and disregard of teamwork/help can lead to deaths, so everything's still hypothetical.

Besides, in the end, Mikhail still accepted his friend's desire wholeheartedly, and is obviously going to help him see things through and get his motions through ahead of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, sure, he's not ready. Nobody's born ready to be a fighter pilot. That's why a warning of the difficulties ahead would have been much better than "Don't. You suck. But I won't tell you why."
I think the point of Alto's monologue with Mikhail's voice/question ringing while he walked up those stairs means that Alto knows EXACTLY why and what Mikhail's referring to.

It's just that we don't, or aren't given the clear view yet.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-21, 20:11   Link #147
Lanis

anyone know what's up with Mikhail's elf ears? He has them in opening but they are normal during the episodes.
Old 2008-04-21, 20:58   Link #148
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
So?

Alto = Maverick
Michael = Iceman
Luca = Goose
Ozma = Jester
Whose "Viper" then?

Also did anyone notice Lt. Cathy Glass' reaction on seeing a bloodied Ozma? Another Love Triangle (Leon x Cathy x Ozma) besides Sheryl x Ranka x Alto, perhaps?
Old 2008-04-21, 21:02   Link #149
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
Whose "Viper" then?

Also did anyone notice Lt. Cathy Glass' reaction on seeing a bloodied Ozma? Another Love Triangle (Leon x Cathy x Ozma) besides Sheryl x Ranka x Alto, perhaps?

mmm i think Ozma was her lover in the past not so far away
Old 2008-04-21, 21:12   Link #150
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Mikhail's probably thinking that if he does something similar to what he did in the Sheryl concert someone will pay the price for it and die.
I agree. I've always been disturbed by Alto's actions during the start of the concert, especially the part about doing the flying his way instead of following the plan Mikhail who was supposedly the Team Leader for their flying act in Sheryl's concert had envisioned.

It made me think of Alto as a bit undisciplined or someone who has problems with persons in authority. I'm even getting Isamu Dyson vibes about Alto as well.
Old 2008-04-21, 23:02   Link #151
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
I agree. I've always been disturbed by Alto's actions during the start of the concert, especially the part about doing the flying his way instead of following the plan Mikhail who was supposedly the Team Leader for their flying act in Sheryl's concert had envisioned.

It made me think of Alto as a bit undisciplined or someone who has problems with persons in authority. I'm even getting Isamu Dyson vibes about Alto as well.
Alto allows his feelings to get the better of him however, when your a pilot sometimes going with your "feeling" will help you. Well lets see how he will react with his feelings. For some reason I have a feeling Alto will save Ranka again .

Another GREAT episode and with what I have seen I'm dying to buy the dvds (when they are released for distribution).
Spoiler for spoiler hints Episode 03:

I'm sad now I watched episode 3 and I have to wait for 6 days to see episode 4. Oh yes I'm going to get some baau since I'm hungry .

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
Old 2008-04-21, 23:38   Link #152
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
mmm i think Ozma was her lover in the past not so far away
Check Gilliam's personal effects on episode 2.

A picture of a young Cathy with Ozma and Gilliam.

I'm inclined to think her relationship back then is like Basara and Mylene.

One sided and she was too young for Ozma.
Old 2008-04-21, 23:42   Link #153
Westlo
Lets be reality

Oh nice find that pretty much confirms it. Now can Ozma ignore all his death flags, survive and get the girl in the end?
Old 2008-04-22, 00:14   Link #154
grss1982

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Check Gilliam's personal effects on episode 2.

A picture of a young Cathy with Ozma and Gilliam.

I'm inclined to think her relationship back then is like Basara and Mylene.

One sided and she was too young for Ozma.

WAIT!!!!
You mean this:

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-22, 00:19   Link #155
Westlo
Lets be reality

If that's his wife than she got beat with the ugly stick and looks like a man and wth is she doing near a Valkyrie anyway? Hair color fits Kathy and I can see daddy's little girl saluting like that.
Old 2008-04-22, 01:23   Link #156
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
If that's his wife than she got beat with the ugly stick and looks like a man and wth is she doing near a Valkyrie anyway? Hair color fits Kathy and I can see daddy's little girl saluting like that.
Forgibe me for asking, but.....
Spoiler:

And about the wife being near the valkyrie isn't it like a tradition for some especially pilots to have a picture taken of their families taken along with the aircraft they pilot.

Anyways....I'll just wait for answers as the series unfolds.
Old 2008-04-22, 01:25   Link #157
Westlo
Lets be reality

I should've said presidents little girl, though Howard might not have been the president at the time.
Old 2008-04-22, 02:02   Link #158
ReddyRedWolf

Given that Howard Glass knows about the Vajra I wouldn't put it pass him being a former commander of Ozma and Gilliam.

Note on the two pictures.

One is young Cathy, Gilliam and a untied haired Ozma.

The other is either Gilliam's girlfriend or wife.

Besides being a disavowed merc do you really think the guys and girls of SMS have time being married with kids?
Old 2008-04-22, 02:30   Link #159
Tabris

Maybe because the one that Ozma stabbed bled out, and the one that Mikhail/Michael shot probably had it's wound cauterised so that whatever the Varja's body needs from it's blood, it was still temporarily flowing around the system and allowed the body to act in instinct and keep on attacking (then again, why would it target Ozma over a random rampage). Kinda like when people talk about beheading a chicken and it's body still being able to survive for a bit, as opposed to when you slit it's throat and they're pretty much done.

I dunno, just trying to get the ball rolling here
Old 2008-04-22, 03:31   Link #160
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

my therapist said I need to express positive emotions so here I am.

well now this was entertainment!

Pros

1. character development something rare in anime nowadays. we see new stuff about alot of character
which works well with
2. character balance each character gets some screen time so we can actually care if they die despite being a minor character.

3. well written fanservice again it's rare.

4. good battle, that's all I have to say.

Cons

1. this eww, it's something I didn't need to see.

2. as onzuka mentioned before the vajra getting it's head blown off and still moving is confusing considering what happened last episode, though it could have been like a cockroach moving without it's head.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
Closed Thread