AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-30, 22:50   Link #161
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Bane looks a lot worse than expected. I can't say I'm surprised, though... Nolan's 'Batman' films generally feature some horrible costume designs-- as exemplified by the robo-Bat suit in 'The Dark Knight.' I was having a discussion with another user from /Film, taking jabs at Bane needing to wear some heavy coat in the middle of summer. Oh, and the tumbler is without a doubt one of the ugliest batmobiles ever conceived. That thing is HIDEOUS! Blegh.

Anyway, if I were going to include Bane in a Batman film, I'd prefer him to look something like this:
Spoiler:

I would challenge Nolan to do something like that, but I forgot he was a PG director so asking him to do anything bold or out of the ordinary would be too much.

Even if I were a Nolan fan, I'd be worried about him mailing this film in. Even his own fans are raging on all those Superhero/Comic book websites.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 23:09   Link #162
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I guess they decided to go with something that doesn't look like a ProWrestler.
Old 2011-07-30, 23:10   Link #163
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Yeah, instead they spat on the material and went with something more childish and less menacing.

Last edited by Tetra Vaal; 2011-08-06 at 14:14.
Old 2011-07-31, 00:29   Link #164
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Bane looks a lot worse than expected. I can't say I'm surprised, though... Nolan's 'Batman' films generally feature some horrible costume designs-- as exemplified by the robo-Bat suit in 'The Dark Knight.' I was having a discussion with another user from /Film, taking jabs at Bane needing to wear some heavy coat in the middle of summer. Oh, and the tumbler is without a doubt one of the ugliest batmobiles ever conceived. That thing is HIDEOUS! Blegh.
I think a lot of people have known that Nolan goes for realism for his Batman movies. He provide some reasons of why a character look that way or wears what he wears. For example: Batman's cape is used for flying/gliding, the spikes on his arms is used to block blade attacks and then further as a secret throwing weapon, Scarecrow's mask & voice-dubber is used to intimidate his patients (or would be patients), and Joker's make-up is a war-paint to hide his scar.

Sure the designs are not the coolest things ever fashioned, but as far as realism goes, it's not bad at all.

As for The Tumbler, it looks that way coz it's practical and tactical. Surely, in reality, Batman could never escape police chases if he drives his Bat-limo like in Tim Burton's Batman.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 00:43   Link #165
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Aiming for realism doesn't give uninspired designs a free pass. In fact, there are tons of futuristic-aimed films that try to condense their material in a form that makes it plausible so they can pull it off to a high degree-- which they do. It's all about aiming for the most respectable aesthetic possible, which Nolan can't do, because his "vision" is so ugly and murky as a director. This goes for everything ranging from Bane to the batsuit, to the awful tumbler (which is the dumbest name ever for a vehicle). And please don't bring Burton's hackery into this-- there's no reason to assume I'd ever use his laughable batmobile as a frame of reference for a proper Batman vehicle.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:02   Link #166
james0246

I am unclear what Bane's mask does (is it simply to hide his identity (in which case it fails), or does it serve a specific purpose (is this the introduction of Venom?)), so I have no real opinion on the aforementioned picture. Honestly, I prefer Hardy's physique for the role if only because it lends credence to the possibility that Nolan will focus more on Bane's intelligence rather than his strength (something that has been solely lacking in all film/tv forms of Bane).

That being said, I like the rough and tumble technology of Nolan's universe. The vehicles and designs look and feel serviceable and like they can take a real pounding (which fits in quite well with Nolan's portrayal of Batman).

Last edited by james0246; 2011-07-31 at 01:13.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 01:13   Link #167
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
And please don't bring Burton's hackery into this-- there's no reason to assume I'd ever use his laughable batmobile as a frame of reference for a proper Batman vehicle.
Hmmm...so, what is your description of a perfect Bat-mobile? I've seen a LOTS of Bat-mobile interpretation, from the 60's shows to the latest Batman animated series and all of them look pretty limo-ish to me. I haven't seen the Bat-mobile in the latest comics though. Don't tell me you like that one from Batman & Robin?!
Old 2011-07-31, 01:25   Link #168
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I'd go with Frank Miller's gritty, ugly, and heavy batmobile from his 'Dark Knight Returns' series. You can tell that the tumbler was supposed to resemble it in some aspect, but fails miserably.

In fact, Miller's take on 'The Dark Knight' is infinitely better than Nolan's compromised film series.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:27   Link #169
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Aiming for realism doesn't give uninspired designs a free pass. In fact, there are tons of futuristic-aimed films that try to condense their material in a form that makes it plausible so they can pull it off to a high degree-- which they do. It's all about aiming for the most respectable aesthetic possible, which Nolan can't do, because his "vision" is so ugly and murky as a director. This goes for everything ranging from Bane to the batsuit, to the awful tumbler (which is the dumbest name ever for a vehicle). And please don't bring Burton's hackery into this-- there's no reason to assume I'd ever use his laughable batmobile as a frame of reference for a proper Batman vehicle.
Ooook so aside from all of your negativity do you mind giving us detailed descriptions of what they should look like?

The original batmobile are more or less "limo-like"

I like the tumbler because it's an actual practical vehicle that could be used in situations that batman would find himself in. As the police noted it's literally a tank on wheels which is what it should be. Not a freaking limo.

As for bane...well....I'm kinda curious as to the reason he has that mask. With the Joker it's obviously not an aesthetic thing I hope and there's a reason if he ever gives one.

Quote:
Honestly, I prefer Hardy's physique for the role if only because it lends credence to the possibility that Nolan will focus more on Bane's intelligence rather than his strength (something that has been solely lacking in all film/tv forms of Bane).
Wasn't Bane suppose to be one of the smartest villains in Batman?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 01:29   Link #170
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Wasn't Bane suppose to be one of the smartest villains in Batman?
Yes, but besides the comics, this is never focused on in the television shows or movies. Nolan's Bane could potentially be the first non-comic Bane done right.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:30   Link #171
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Before questioning my "negativity" (funny, I was unaware that only positive opinions were allowed) how about you reread the last couple of posts from me where I not only 1.) give a frame of reference for what I'd call the ideal batmobile, but also 2.) tell everyone that Burton's limo batmobile is no better. When you do that, then get back to me.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:39   Link #172
james0246

Quote:
I'd go with Frank Miller's gritty, ugly, and heavy batmobile from his 'Dark Knight Returns' series. You can tell that the tumbler was supposed to resemble it in some aspect, but fails miserably.

In fact, Miller's take on 'The Dark Knight' is infinitely better than Nolan's compromised film series.
Sadly, Miller's Batmobile is one of the least interesting or inspired Batmobiles in the Batman universe. It is essentially a World War I tank, and that's about it (great for the feel of the series (though I do not remember the aged Knight actually using the vehicle to its potential...but it has been years since I last read the series), but ultimately pointless for what the Batmobile needs to do, and that is chase down foes (it would be nice if the vehicle was also stealthy, but for some reason none of Batman's vehicles retain any of his stealth)). Nolan's Batmobile is a little garish, but it retains the realism of Miller's Tank, while also having the ability to actually chase down foes with force and power.

(Personally, I've never been much of a fan of the Batmobile. Any vehicle that a vigilante uses intrinsically does not make sense. Not due to any specific design flaw, but simply because it is a target that any police officer (or criminal) will immediatly notice and attempt to stop. Consequently, Batman should be swinging between roof-tops, not cruising around in a vehicle that will draw unnecessary attention.)
Old 2011-07-31, 01:44   Link #173
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
(funny, I was unaware that only positive opinions were allowed).
funny, your idea is that only negative opinions are fair.

Bane for me looks good, nice adaptation for a realistik interpretation of batman.

Nolan's batmovil looks aso good, more of a military style.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:45   Link #174
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Least interesting compared to what? It wasn't like it was slow, it just had weight to it. Not to mention the vehicle itself could withstand an incredible amount of damage within a realistic context. It may have been a tank, but it's beautiful to look at due to its unique surface, grease-dripping, exhaust-fuming pipeline that just screams GRISTLE. I'm not into this "finese" Batman, so I'm not overly worried about this vehicle out-maneuvering highway lanes or narrow alleys to track down thugs. I'm in it for the aesthetic and realism, which makes Nolan's "tumbler" look like a run-of-the-mill rice burner in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
funny, your idea is that only negative opinions are fair.
Negative.

I have no problem with people being excited or optimistic about a film they want to see. But for as long as I'm around, I'm going to offer my knowledgeable, well thought-out insight on this subject, seeing as I'm proficient when it comes to films/movies, whatever you want to call it.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:05   Link #175
james0246

Quote:
Least interesting compared to what? It wasn't like it was slow, it just had weight to it. Not to mention the vehicle itself could withstand an incredible amount of damage within a realistic context. It may have been a tank, but it's beautiful to look at due to its unique surface, grease-dripping, exhaust-fuming pipeline that just screams GRISTLE. I'm not into this "finese" Batman, so I'm not overly worried about this vehicle out-maneuvering highway lanes or narrow alleys to track down thugs. I'm in it for the aesthetic and realism, which makes Nolan's "tumbler" look like a run-of-the-mill rice burner in comparison.
Least interesting compared to all the others. Even Schumacher's atrocious vehicles were more interesting to look at or "interact" with (in the context of their universe) even if they were truly awful to look at. You may dislike "finese", but Batman has ultimately always been about finesse, and his vehicles and equipment has usually always reflected this. Miller's tank definitely fits in with the atmosphere of The Dark Knight Returns, but simply fitting in does not make the vehicle in any way interesting.

(Note, I am not saying that Nolan's Batmobile is more interesting, only that they are comparable vehicles (I could, of course, add that Nolan's Batmobile actually functions in a meaningful manner beyond simple style or symbolism, but I honestly do not care.)

Personally, I have no favourite Batmobiles (as I said earlier, I actually dislike the idea of a Batmobile), but the Batmobile from The Animated Series was always quite stylish, fun, and serviceable in the series. Sleek, simple, and efficient, yet still powerful and imposing.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:11   Link #176
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Batman hasn't "always been about finese"-- there's many different takes. The material isn't exclusive to any particular creator or style. I don't know which way you're trying to spin this, but strictly speaking about the collective Batman mythology or w/e, I'll take Miller's heavy-plated, bone-crushing, face-smacking tankmobile over any of that dreck that Schumacher and Nolan take to the bigscreen. I don't care which one has more features or gadgets or which one can elude itself between narrow alleys-- what I care about is, is retaining realism (which Miller's tank does) and a formidable, creative design. Nolan doesn't accomplish any of that... well, except for "realism", but like I said, that doesn't give his ugly tumbler a pass in any respect. You can achieve realism while delivering something that is artistically pleasing.

Like I said, Nolan's films are ugly. His style is ugly. His direction is ugly. His characters are ugly. And his vehicles are ugly.

I can't wait for 5 or 10 years to go by when someone else, hopefully a far more respectable and creative director can finally do Batman right.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:28   Link #177
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No one will do Batman "right". There is no possible way that can happen. (Especailly if it is the Frank Miller version....the general public will hate that on the big screen)
Old 2011-07-31, 02:37   Link #178
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

I can't wait for 5 or 10 years to go by when someone else, hopefully a far more respectable and creative director can finally do Batman right.
I second that, but I hope I don't have to wait for another 5-10 years. I heard that the reboot will be made as soon as humanely possible. I can't wait for another version of Batman. Still, you really got to respect Nolan for resurrecting the franchise though. Nolan's take on Batman is commendable. If it's not for him we'll never break out of Schumacher's Bat-nipples and Bat-credit-card.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:45   Link #179
Blaat

Give me Morrison's Batman over Miller any day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
No one will do Batman "right". There is no possible way that can happen.
Exactly and that's because every version of Batman is "right", Batman is a flexible character with multiple interpretations which interpretation is correct depends on the individual.
For some Miller is the correct version for others it's O'Neill and for most movie goers it's Nolan.
Old 2011-07-31, 12:32   Link #180
Tetra Vaal
Banned

By doing a Batman film right, I mean by doing it without compromise. I'm not talking about one specific take on the millions of Batman stories out there.

Nolan, Burton, Schumacher, etc, etc. haven't made a respectable 'Batman' film.