Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 11:32   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Post your laptop specs and price

Hello!

I made this thread in order to at least get an idea of what rigs (specifically laptops) you guys are running.

Mine (Before it broke down... it's in the shop atm) is/was a Lenovo Ideapad Y560, basically an i5, with AMD HD 5730 4GB DDR3 RAM...

I loved it, sadly it's now being repaired. Or at least I think so, let's not get into Argentina's import policy, not allowing the replacement motherboard to arrive (I fried it)

Costed me about 1300 U$S If I'm not mistaken. Glorious import taxes as well, here I'm afraid.

It'd be interesting for you guys to share your laptops, to see if I'm in the low end- mid end or high end, and what I should be aiming for in the future.

Niker
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 11:48   Link #2
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Why laptop? People use desktops/macs too O:

What's your reason for picking lenovo? I like lenovo too

Lenovo y560p 15.6"
-Intel i7 2630QM
-2x4 GB DDR3 (I replaced to 2x6 after I bought it, I have random spare pieces cause my neighbour runs a computer store and they gave it to me for free)
-500 GB SATA 7200rpm
-Radeon HD 6570M (I think this was the best Lenovo had at that time, I really wanted a high-end Geforce one)
-3 USB ports + 1 hdmi/usb port.
-Standard lithion battery (3 hour, which is decent for i7 as i7 is a hungry processor. I think only macbook's i7 goes past 3 hours without custom batteries)
-To lazy to name the rest of the ports, nobody cares about them anyways, fairly standard.

$920 CAD ordered online, free shipped to Canada. (I bought this when it was on sale, and when canadian dollar was worth more than american)

No problems except I had to open it and replace the power jack once. I somehow broke it It was just after 1 year warranty expired.

I like thinkpad WAY better than ideapad. But Ideapad is the powerhouse series and I wanted one =/
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 12:08   Link #3
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Fair enough! People post your PC/Macs/Linux whatever you are using! Remember to put the price and specs!

I chose Lenovo basically because I heard it was the best in the biz, and when I bought it, someone said they'd change it if something went wrong. Turns out I fried my motherboard when the warranty was still active, and it's been in the shop waiting for 4 months now, as the Argie customs won't allow anything that is imported into the country.

Anywho, Lenovo has been buying time, or whatever. 4 months? Seriously...

I loved that laptop, as it was even more powerful than my PC. I could play Football Manager 2012, browse the internet and watch anime all at the same time. I could play BF3 on it... The ONLY thing I think is bad about the Y560 is its ventilation, as mine overheated and fried the motherboard. I'll buy one of those extra ventilation things when and if I get it back.

Cheers;
Niker

PS: I'm currently on a 2003 Packard Bell... Intel Core Duo... and it can't even reproduce .h264 while running Chrome
Old 2012-02-02, 13:03   Link #4
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
If you disregard price, I'd say apple is the best. Quality/price wise, that would be lenovo. Yes it's service is bad

Dell has better service.

Packard Bell!? You mean Acer? Packard Bell died a long time ago I think. My dad used to work there back in the early 90's.

I have a 2005 T42 Thinkpad as my backup, It's the most abused and sturdy laptop I have ever seen. It's missing a few buttons, has a lot of dents, and never had hardware problems. It's just terrible specs but enough for school work.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 13:20   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What's the point in posting the price? My Macbook Pro is from 2008. It cost about the same as the modern-day equivalent model, but obviously the value on my particular system has dropped by quite a bit if I were to resell it.

As an aside, there's a space in your personal profile to list your computer information. Many members have listed what they're using there. If you're interested in this info, you might be interested to browse through profiles and check for that field.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:13   Link #6
Inu Yasha

Just got a new Alienware M14X gaming laptop.
Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad Core at 2GHz
6GB RAM
Nvidia GT 555M
HDD 678GB
Win7 64 Bit

Price: $1500 with sales/discount comes to $1200.

For detailed specs, just visit alienwares site lol

Overall I'm pleased with it, the fan is very quiet but ramps up when I need it for gaming, and the battery is decent. The keyboard is beautiful with the lighting and it's a sturdy, good build.
Inu Yasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 22:25   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core, 3.2 GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 5750 1 GB
RAM: 4 GB DDR 3 1600 RAM
HDD: 750 GB hard drive

This is a desktop. It cost under $1000. I bought it 2 years ago (January 2010). It plays the latest games well; many very well.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:42   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

My computer... well it's technically free since Apple replaced my Late 2008 Macbook Pro (paid something like $1899 or something back in 2008 when I bought it for college), mostly because it was a lemon. Now I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro which a lot faster than my first Macbook Pro I got for Christmas in 2006.

CPU: Intel Core i5 520m
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 RAM (4GBx2)
HD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400RPM
GPU: nVidia Geforce 330m GT with 256MB vRAM and Intel HD Graphics

Don't care much about specs since I only want a reliable computer and I don't really do much computer gaming these days. From my experience, consumer-based computers tend to crap out more often, which is why my mom only uses a business class laptop (the specific model is a Dell Latitude e6520, which also has an Core i5 processor, 4 GBs of ram, 320GB 7200RPM HD and nVidia graphics) when she teleworks or do work related stuff with Windows.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:50   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I have a Thinkpad X220.

-Core i5 2520M
-Intel iGPU
-320GB 7.2kRPM HDD (considering adding an SDD in the mSATA slot)
-8GB of RAM (bought with 4, added second stick)
-9 cell battery, 95whr, ~10 hours
-1.5kg/3.4lbs

I got it on sale for ~900 USD

Not really a gaming machine, but its only slightly larger than a netbook so I can forgive it. All I have been playing recently is TF2 and VN's anyways and it handles that just fine.

Lenovo Thinkpads are one of the best laptops you can buy. Ideapads are about as good as any other consumer grade laptop.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 01:11   Link #10
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

When I'm not at work I'm using my trusty Toshiba Satelite M645 laptop

Specs here.

Not really a gaming rig, I got this laptop for other purposes and it performed those duties admirably. 2 years later with daily use (sometimes all day) it's still running strong. No problems to speak of at all. Never had to use Toshiba service.

I'm very pleased with this laptop.

Endless "Backlit Keyboard" Soul
Old 2012-02-03, 13:34   Link #11
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Asus K52JU
CPU: i3 370M (2.4 GHz dual core)
HDD: 500GB 5400 RPM
RAM: 4GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6370M (512MB DDR3)
Screen: 15.6" 1366x768 LCD-LED

Bought it around 10 months ago for 500€ ($658). Nothing great, actually rather low-end without going into Pentium or C2D CPUs, but more than good enough for what I want it for (HD video decoding, occassional encoding, light games) and for its price. Don't know about reliability, if anything, it does run cool even when encoding video and the like, which is more than I can say for other laptops I've seen.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 19:47   Link #12
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I bought an Alienware m11xR3 just over six months ago.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2617M 1.5GHz (2 cores with hyperthreading; 2.6GHz Turbo Boost)
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 500GB 7200RPM
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT 540M (2GB DDR3) [Optimus technology]
Screen: 11.6" WLED HD display (WXGA 1366x768)
8-cell battery, about 60Wh, about 6-8 hours max.
Killer Wireless-N 1103.

Cost about AU$1400 (since Dell tends to charge about double the USD price here), with a discount. The Asus Eee PC netbook I own wasn't cutting it anymore, in terms of performance. For me, this machine was the perfect balance between portability and power- good battery stamina for simply taking notes during lectures and tutorials, and can handle many of today's graphically intensive games with relative ease. Aside from a few downsides (small size = runs (really) hot at times, especially during heavy gaming -> fan sounds like a jet engine under load (mostly quiet otherwise) -> intake fan is at the bottom of the laptop; glossy screen = bad for outdoors and bright environment use; most of the ports are closer to the front; heavy for its small size), it's a great laptop. A potential breakdown from heat damage is a concern of mine though, so I don't use it while it's on my lap or some other soft surface.
Spoiler for desktop:
Old 2012-02-03, 20:06   Link #13
spikexp

Gateway nv53
AMD m300 dual core 2.2ghz
4 gb of ddr3
250gb hard drive
igp HD 4250

Paid 500$ CAD, soon 2 years ago (in some day) and still going strong like the first time.
It's not strong, but it does what I needed it to do.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 13:12   Link #14
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

My Y560 broke down because of me using it on my lap. I later learned that I supposedly shouldn't do that, so it overheated and I caused a glitch to the VGA chipset or something like that. Basically I fried my motherboard. So, I now will buy a portable table to at least carry it around and not lose it.

For all I know, Packard Bell was still kicking when I bought this machine. Maybe that's why it was so cheap? Anywho, it never broke down, and it gives me limited use for the internet, which is what I use it for now, and it is a good emergency machine.

In any case, I thank you all for sharing your specs, and I can definately see that I'm in the lower end of the machines around here.

Thank you all for your time, and of course, if anyone still wants to post, feel free.

Cheers;
Niker
Old 2012-02-04, 13:50   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
My Y560 broke down because of me using it on my lap. I later learned that I supposedly shouldn't do that, so it overheated and I caused a glitch to the VGA chipset or something like that. Basically I fried my motherboard. So, I now will buy a portable table to at least carry it around and not lose it.
That's not quite right. The advice against using a laptop on your lap has to do with safety to your own body. Laptops can become very hot at their base, which can cause minor burns to laptop users who have the machine against their bare skin. For men, the heat buildup at the lap area can cause temporary sterility.

As far as heat killing laptops goes, this has to do with what surface your machine is on. If you're using the laptop on a pillow or blanket, you are reducing airflow and heat dissipation from the machine itself. If you look, you'll see that most (if not all) laptops have tiny little "feet" at their bases, such that if you set it down on a flat, hard surface, there is at least a small amount of clearance between the base of the machine and the surface. That heat dissipation is critical.

If you have the laptop on your lap (without a pillow or some other object between you and the computer), there's still enough of the base that is in contact with the air that heat dissipation shouldn't be overly affected. As I mentioned above, the major threat at that point comes to the fact that the heat is being transferred onto and into your body.
Old 2012-02-04, 15:11   Link #16
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Why waste money on a '' gaming '' laptop that never reaches the power a desktop could give you with that money? If you're serious about gaming, which you probably are if you could go on your way to spend 2k into a computer, then seriously.. why laptop? Best place to game at is at your home anyway.

My rig :

i5-2500K 3.3Ghz, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz, Asus Z68-Pro3 and GTX580. Bought this before the new graphic cards came out, didn't want to wait. It's quite a beast .. None of the games I played had any trouble running on maximum details except Witcher 2 which would make any computer lag with it's ubersampling feature. BF3 probably would have some trouble .. but I'm not interested in BF.

Price? Around $1225 for the parts listed above because Finland is really expensive. The other parts (PSU etc.) were taken from my old computer. I also have Samsung 830 128GB SSD but I bought this separately.
Old 2012-02-05, 01:00   Link #17
sa547
*Author

At one time owned this ancient Twinhead laptop with the following specs:

Intel Pentium II Mobile 266Mhz
128mb PC100 SDRAM
4GB hard drive
8mb integrated video
CDROM drive
12" TFT LCD
Windows XP Professional SP3

In 1998 I think its price was then around a $900-1200 or so, but in those days it was a mid-range laptop decently able to play Half-Life.

To be honest, it was heavy as hell compared to today's slim and easy-to-carry road warriors, but under my brief ownership I used it to write fanfics and play music despite its severe limitations.

Yet it was really handy during an emergency away from home -- at a MMO gaming con, when I was perplexed as to why my guildmates didn't show up that day, I had the good fortune to lug it all the way there, so I plugged in a USB wireless net dongle, got on the network and used Firefox to access Facebook and chat with the rest of the gang members who admittedly decided to stay home and play.
Old 2012-02-05, 11:00   Link #18
gsilver

My laptop is an ASUS UL50V

ULV SU7300 CPU (1.6GHZ, I think)
Geforce 210
4GB ram
320GB hard drive
Windows 7

...I think about replacing it constantly. Mostly because of the black glossiness, and its not-so-great screen.
On the plus side, its puny CPU/GPU is still enough to view just about any anime that I've thrown at it, though I have a desktop and HTPC which are more capable.
Old 2012-02-09, 03:18   Link #19
Kitame

My laptop = NullTop

specs:
NullCore0 - 0mhz
VoidGraphics 000
0GB ram
0GB HDD
OS - HumanImagination

Price: 0$ (YES ITS FREE!)

TL;DR - i don't own a laptop yet, though i'm considering on buying a "Samsung NP305U1A-A04"(its an AMD E-450 netbook) and i've been asking if this could be enough to playback those nasty Hi10P, including the 1080p variation.
If its not a laptop then i own these:
(main RIG) 350$
i3-2100
HD6570 1GB GDDR3 @ 825mhz
2x4GB very low profile kingston value ram
500GB HDD Seagate

(2nd RIG) 300$
Core2Duo E7500 @ 3.3Ghz
GT240 512mb GDDR5
2GB DDR3 standard kingston value ram
250GB HDD Seagate

(seedbox) 200$
Celeron E3300 @ 3.3Ghz
Integrated Graphics
2GB DDR2 standard kingston value ram
250 HDD Seagate

(others) 200$
1TB - Western Digital My passport
500GB - Western Digital My passport

Last edited by Kitame; 2012-02-09 at 03:28.
Kitame is offline   Reply With Quote