AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 02:20   Link #3601
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
First of all the visuals and music are both very good. Especially some of the scenes in the first half are just beautiful to look at. Second, I very much liked the themes handled during the first half. Like the conflict between sea and land people, with Hikari and the gang trying to cope with the new environment in school, or Akari's relationship with Itaru and Miuna. The buildup to the ofunehiki was also pretty nice seeing how it goes off after starting with basically the four from Shioshishio and Tsumugu. Then I think the ofunehiki itself that formed the finale of the first cour was also done very well. The second half, well, not much positives to talk about, in some parts just terribly done. Although Miuna was very good in the second half, salvaging it with her scenes for me. If you have the time I can recommend giving it a chance, even if the latter half was mostly a big disappointment.
It does seem like a very pretty show, I think I'll check it out. I wanted something a bit different.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 02:30   Link #3602
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
From official twitter, in celebration of 40k followers

Images
Miuna kawayui
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Miuna in Nami's school uniform, although I don't think it fits her very well. Hama's suits her better. But more importantly, her hair is down! Great look.
Old 2014-04-06, 06:37   Link #3603
Huepute

I have a question... At the very end it seem like Hikari already know Manaka's feeling ever since before the 1st Ofunehiki ... Why does Hikari bother to ask Tsumuku as the one Manaka love ... to help makes Manaka wake up?(the scene that Tsumuku tell Hikari that he loves Chisaki)

And why did Hikari obsessed to know what she talk with the red belly? I just so confuse with this... It's better that the ending part Hikari & Manaka should wear new school uniform ... so it'll be just ... em.. right!

PS. since they are only 14 and should not have some kiss scene why PAW still make that Miuna fake CPR for Hikari without any reason? If they can make that happen ... They have no good reason to make Hikari&Manaka holding hand? ... Still upset a little bit with the ending
Huepute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 07:09   Link #3604
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huepute View Post
I have a question... At the very end it seem like Hikari already know Manaka's feeling ever since before the 1st Ofunehiki ... Why does Hikari bother to ask Tsumuku as the one Manaka love ... to help makes Manaka wake up?(the scene that Tsumuku tell Hikari that he loves Chisaki)
Where did you get the feeling that he knew who Manaka loved before the original ofunehiki? He obviously didn't know. If you mean the composition at the end, I don't think that was a scene that actually happened.
Old 2014-04-06, 07:50   Link #3605
Huepute

Quote:
Where did you get the feeling that he knew who Manaka loved before the original ofunehiki? He obviously didn't know. If you mean the composition at the end, I don't think that was a scene that actually happened.
Ok that's clear to me now ... Thank you
Huepute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 08:34   Link #3606
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Miuna's 'lack of being loved' I don't know if it was any realistic trigger, or at least a smooth trigger that makes sense with the presented narrative. The reason why Manaka and Miuna connected was because they share something in common: their love for Hikari. That's why they could awake their ena and transmit feelings, however how could Miuna who has zero in common with the Ojoshi actually transmit and understand her feelings? It's even more damnable in logic when Manaka's the one who is telling what happened as if she had the connection. So there's a gap that seemed to happen just because.

Maybe if they changed the legend and had the Sea God actually suffer from unrequited love? That would fit it better with he finally understanding to let go thanks to Miuna, but otherwise it really doesn't make sense why their situation would be empathetic with theirs, you know?
I know, I know, it's just that I can't believe that they somehow gave away what we could call the biggest key point / moment of the show, the event that should have given the closure to all the series ... because of time problems. I mean, they decided to avoid a full romance ending, it's better say that they decided to omit it almost completely from the ending. Decision that they should have known that would have caused a bit of discontent. They also tuned down a lot even the family reunions. So I think that they were pretty confident on the impact of that final resolution, so how could they have been, knowing they changed drastically it? It's just that it's something that doesn't match well with the accuracy I saw in the show. But as I said, it's plausible, all considered.

In any case the ending would have benefited from a choral ending, something having all the cast together, like Tari Tari to make an example, instead the show lacked greatly on this aspect. They didn't have a matching point, something in common. Well, the truth is that Manaka was that matching point, so I think that remove her from the show was not a great idea in the end.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 10:09   Link #3607
Kazu-kun

Quote:
If you mean the composition at the end, I don't think that was a scene that actually happened.
It probably was their first date. Pretty sure they put their old school uniforms as a sort of "send-off." It's kinda of cute is you see it that way.
Old 2014-04-06, 10:50   Link #3608
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It probably was their first date. Pretty sure they put their old school uniforms as a sort of "send-off." It's kinda of cute is you see it that way.
You can interpret it this way, but I don't think you can say "probably" or "pretty sure" (likewise I can't make a definite statement that this was just an imagined composition). First of all, it would necessitate them telling the tailor to make two new old uniforms, as they both (along with Kaname) lost their original ones. Kind of a strange and lavish move just to do that for a date. Second, the other scenes that were shown along with that one were all a composition from the past. It would be curious direction-wise to insert a "current" scene into a composition from the past without a definite indication that it truly is from the current time.
Old 2014-04-06, 11:01   Link #3609
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
First of all, it would necessitate them telling the tailor to make two new old uniforms, as they both (along with Kaname) lost their original ones. Kind of a strange and lavish move just to do that for a date.
I figured they just had spare uniforms in their homes at Shioshishio.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 15:19   Link #3610
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I don't think it's ever been addressed, but I have a feeling NagiAsu takes place in the late 80's/early 90's.

It's all in theory, but it would make a lot of sense.

1) There are no cell phones. They're still using corded phones and payphones.
2) Grandpa Kihara's camera is something you would only see in the late 70's/80's. (See Ep1 of Stardust Crusaders)
3) Most of all, Sayama's "loud" outfit screams Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Bonus: When was the last time you've seen anyone rocking a gold chain?
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 16:48   Link #3611
Anime-fan10

This was a very good series. Good character development and a good story. Yes, they focused on some characters more than others, but I think they did well considering we were able to understand many of them and get to know them well enough that we could identify with each of them on some level. The ending could've been better; all that built up tension with Hikari and Manaka for so many episodes and when she finally gets her memories back, we get about 30 seconds in the end with just the two of them. I would've liked to have heard them say they liked each other rather than saying it indirectly. Manaka could've put her head on his shoulder or something while they confessed to one another; that would've been much better. Overall, it was very good though!
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 18:17   Link #3612
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I don't think it's ever been addressed, but I have a feeling NagiAsu takes place in the late 80's/early 90's.

It's all in theory, but it would make a lot of sense.

1) There are no cell phones. They're still using corded phones and payphones.
2) Grandpa Kihara's camera is something you would only see in the late 70's/80's. (See Ep1 of Stardust Crusaders)
3) Most of all, Sayama's "loud" outfit screams Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Bonus: When was the last time you've seen anyone rocking a gold chain?
Well, it is a fantasy world with its own distinct history and people.

Still, it's tech level and people do give me a 80s vibe, yeah. In addition to what you wrote above, I don't recall any evidence of the internet existing in Nagi-Asu's world. On the other side, the cars and ships and infrastructure are all pretty good, about 80s level from what I could tell.
Old 2014-04-06, 18:24   Link #3613
deadite

I've been rewatching the show and I am picking up things I didn't earlier. Watching Uroko and Akari's conversation in episode gave me chills. When Uroko said he could put a curse on her to forget Itaru, I suddenly realize what that curse exactly was.

Spoiler for taking her ability to love:

PV2 Manaka narration pretty much sums up the show as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HW-1PoIPCo

@Triple_R
Mihashi and Tsumugu had a laptop

Last edited by deadite; 2014-04-06 at 18:54.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 02:21   Link #3614
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmm... so Hikari and Manaka pretty much are the reincarnations of the children of the Sea God and Ojoshi-sama? I mean, it pretty much spoiled that Miuna was gonna be shafted since the sea people HAD to come from somewhere (I guess incest is wincest for the first few generations ), but I do find it cute. Just felt bad for Ojoshi-sama though when she had grown to love the Sea God as well, only to have her ability to love taken away from her without her consent.

So yeah, some people were expecting this to be something like an end of the world tale, but for me, all along I knew it was going to focused on the romance one way or another. It's Okada's trademark after all; everything else usually is secondary. I feel bad for those rooting for Miuna and Hikari though, as I do understand how cute the two are, but alas it's Okada who so far has never failed to pair up the female and male 'leads' together.

Hmm... overall, hard to quantify this to be honest. It being a 2 cour series compared to the other PA works, its hard to guage this against anything but Hanasaku Iroha. Between that and this series, I'd rate this series ahead, since I did like very much the Sea God/Ojoshi back story and the multiple couples. Compared to the 1 cour series, it certainly has less impact, but I don't think I can rate this above True Tears. Certainly liked it better than Eccentric Family, Red Data Girl, and Tari Tari though.

Still, I'd say White Album 2 is better by a hair (if comparing to other anime starting in fall 2013), if only because that series made me like the male MC so much when I usually find them meh. That said, NagiAsu is no slouch either, as I do think this and WA2 were miles ahead of the other shows during that season.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 02:42   Link #3615
Fruits Basket Fan

I think the last scene was them wearing their spare uniforms from school or home and they were wearing it for the pairing look on their first date (popular for some couples in Asia) !

But yes, I used to have the feeling that the show was 80s or early 90s especially with kaname's day clothes and lack of internet and cellphones (relying on pay cards or phone booths).....until we saw Tsumugu using a laptop
Fruits Basket Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 03:01   Link #3616
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I think the laptop was a slip by P.A. Works because how do you explain Tsumugu having a laptop, but nobody has a cell phone/beeper/etc and why are they still using this relic.

It's not a Sony.

After looking at this:

I'm gonna say it takes place in the early to mid 90's.

That laptop was the Professor's and it's used only for oceanography/research and not for the internets.

Cassette tapes were still used/gramp's camera is something he probably bought from the 80's (old people don't buy new things) and at that time; only professionals or the rich had a computer or laptop.

Everyone else had corded phones and Sayama tucks his pant legs in his loud purple high tops

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2014-04-08 at 03:42.
Old 2014-04-08, 23:19   Link #3617
Thess

Quote:
I think the laptop was a slip by P.A. Works because how do you explain Tsumugu having a laptop, but nobody has a cell phone/beeper/etc and why are they still using this relic.
Isn't Akari's and Hikari's family really tight on money? Tsumugu's a city boy. His grandfather alone has a rather big house and his own boat- He also attends to College. He can afford laptops and can accommodate several guests easily.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:48   Link #3618
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

^So what you're saying is Chisaki struck gold!
Old 2014-04-09, 00:55   Link #3619
Thess

Quote:
^So what you're saying is Chisaki struck gold!
Intelligent, athletic, handsome, helpful College boy of a well-off family who has ena too. Some emotional stifling issues, but nobody is perfect.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 18:00   Link #3620
justpassingby

Official site new visual

Images
Testamur
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen