AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-21, 10:11   Link #20121
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Will could be an alternate version of Battler just like Lion is to Yasu, and is lamenting about not being able to speak to the other world's Battler about how he treated Yasu. After all, we've seen that Will considers Lion and Clair to be separate entities, so it's likely for him to consider Battler another person too. Also, it's also possible for him to be another persona of Battler. After all, we've seen Yasu-Beatrice wanting to ask questions to Shannon, it's not impossible.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:14   Link #20122
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

Will commented on Battler's absence... and he just assumed it meant Bern was telling him that it was possible to find out who "killed" Beatrice without talking to him...

And it was mentioned somewhere here before. Ryuukishi said he introduced Will and used him since people still had doubts (of some sort) about Battler.
Vylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:16   Link #20123
Cao Ni Ma

Was there ever a link to those comments, not from /jp/ but as in the actual japanese interview? Anyways, maybe it was that reason, but lets look at it in another way. If Battler was there, what would have been the first thing that he would ask Battler after hearing Yasu's side of the events?
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:19   Link #20124
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

For some reason, I just can't accept Will as being somebody completely new. After all, Lion wasn't. Neither was Clair, Young Kinzo or the stake maids, they were all appropriately linked to characters from way back. So what's with Will? He's definitely here for more than just bringing in the Dine rules. And I don't think Battler's absence is just random, nobody even mentioned him. And the interview did not have a credible source, and even if it did I won't put it past Ryuukishi to introduce an alternate Battler as a new character to wipe off doubts for the time being.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:24   Link #20125
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

Will is hinted to in Dlanor's profile the Eiserne Jungfrau tip... so he's not completely new by Ep7...

I'm in the camp of thinking where Will is unrelated to Battler. Mainly since there doesn't seem to be any hints to the contrary. Also, the prologue with Will fighting the other inquisitors to save the maid doesn't fit in with anything Battler's done (aside for fighting for truth).

Last edited by Vylen; 2010-12-21 at 11:00.
Vylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:38   Link #20126
Cao Ni Ma

Will and Knox where hinted as far as EP2, at least the embodiment of what they represented. When you saw Dlanor in EP5 you would expect someone that represented Dine's 20 to pop in at some point in the story. When the spoiler pic for EP7 came out most knew who the man in blue would turn out to be.
Old 2010-12-21, 11:38   Link #20127
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
For some reason, I just can't accept Will as being somebody completely new. After all, Lion wasn't. Neither was Clair, Young Kinzo or the stake maids, they were all appropriately linked to characters from way back. So what's with Will? He's definitely here for more than just bringing in the Dine rules. And I don't think Battler's absence is just random, nobody even mentioned him. And the interview did not have a credible source, and even if it did I won't put it past Ryuukishi to introduce an alternate Battler as a new character to wipe off doubts for the time being.
Well then Dlanor, Cornelia, Gertrude, Zepar, Furfur. They all come from nowhere.

Will is the same as Dlanor, he's an heresy inquisitor. Unless you can find a plausible match for Dlanor then there's no need to find one for Will.

I somehow don't like the idea that Will is still Battler because then the tragic fact of "Battler couldn't do it in time" would lose meaning. Will is supposed to be someone that solves every mystery in place of Battler.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 12:18   Link #20128
Kylon99

If I had to pick a representation for Will, I'd say he was the Captain's boat. Or perhaps some hidden boat at Kuwadorian that Yasu may have taken to leave the island before the game starts? If that's a viable theory. 8)

This is due to the anchor necklace he wears.

The reasoning is this: The Cornelia and Gertrude both wear a cap with two keys as symbols. I took this to mean that their 'vessel' (i.e. what someone was inspired by) were the two keys to Kinzo's study. They seemed to specialize in locking up that study too. Dlanor herself is the most important key to the island, the one to the chapel.

So in that sense, maybe what Will wore indicates what he was 'inspired' by... so an anchor -> only one boat.

It's not like this theory goes anywhere though... just something nice to think about.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 12:21   Link #20129
Cao Ni Ma

Makes sense actually, puts the intro on a whole new light.
Old 2010-12-21, 12:50   Link #20130
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Will was apparently introduced because the japanese community didn't trust Battler. If that interview's true, there's no way Will is Battler.

I would say it's impossible anyway, since they're NOTHING ALIKE WHATSOEVER, and if he was Battler, there's now way Bern would've let him go.
Old 2010-12-21, 12:57   Link #20131
CrystalStarlight95
Miss Kimi

Lol, Will ish a boat. XD

I guess people in Japan began to mistrust Battler when he switched over to the magic side. I haven't read EP1-4 but maybe people complained that he sounded inconsistent or something stupid like that.

Hey, remember episode 12 (or 13, can't remember) of the anime? Virgilia fixes the vase and then the cat knocks it over again. ....What if Bern was that cat? XD

"Were you not listening, Kimi-chan? Knox's 7th: It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit."
CrystalStarlight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 14:36   Link #20132
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Will was apparently introduced because the japanese community didn't trust Battler.
In before Ryuukishi realizes that people now don't trust Will.

Old 2010-12-21, 14:40   Link #20133
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Herp derp.

So EP8's going to be solved by a new badass detective character named Holmes...
Old 2010-12-21, 14:43   Link #20134
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Trust me, after EP8 there will be people that will say: "I don't buy it".

Then Ryuukishi will say in an official interview: "It was all true!"

And some people will still say: "I don't buy it! I don't trust Ryuukishi! If that's the truth why he didn't say it in red? Aaaah?!"

Old 2010-12-21, 15:05   Link #20135
Kylon99

I wonder if that's actually part of his plan. 8) Basically, without love it can't be seen, right?
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 15:24   Link #20136
Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Trust me, after EP8 there will be people that will say: "I don't buy it".

Then Ryuukishi will say in an official interview: "It was all true!"

And some people will still say: "I don't buy it! I don't trust Ryuukishi! If that's the truth why he didn't say it in red? Aaaah?!"
More like, "No I dont believe you, that never happened AAAAAAoooaaaUuuuuUUugh!
Old 2010-12-21, 15:26   Link #20137
CrystalStarlight95
Miss Kimi

"It's useless! It's all useless! IYYAAAAHHH!"

"Were you not listening, Kimi-chan? Knox's 7th: It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit."
CrystalStarlight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 15:47   Link #20138
TehChron

You know, if we take the theory that the Ep7 Tea Party is Eva's skewed interpretation of events, then the absence of Beatrice's corpse, and the lack of mentioning Battler and Maria become even more interesting after she regains consciousness.

If we accept that Eva likely embellished parts of the story, then the scene describing Kyrie holding the knife, which was incredibly outlandish to start with, suddenly makes sense.
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 16:27   Link #20139
Nero Allelujah
The Light that Guides

So the Japanese community won't trust Battler? Well its certain his detective skills...were mediocre during the first 4 games, which I guess makes sense. But I could not believe if they didn't trust Will, I mean he basically solved the mystery for them you could say. Makes me wonder if they'll ever trust the detective then...
Old 2010-12-21, 16:49   Link #20140
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yeah... you didn't know it?

EP1 6th 7th and 8th twilight (Nanjo, Kumasawa and Genji in the parlor with Maria singing.)
Illusions to illusions. ......Illusions are the blind girl's song. Illusion of a closed room.

This seems to suggest that Maria wasn't aware of what really happened. She was told to sing and to turn around so that she couldn't see or listen anything.
Since Illusions are mentioned so often it is probable that Genji and the rest didn't really die. This also explains how the closed room is an illusion.
Possible meanings for illusion:

1) Maria obviously lied in her statement about Beatrice coming through the opening. But, in-story, nobody believed her, so I don't think this is the answer.

2) It's possible that the killer used some subterfuge with the phone (record Maria singing, and call the study from a different phone), but this just gives the killer more time to get away from the room. Since Shannon's and Gohda's keys are never accounted for, this isn't even a closed room.

3) Natsuhi leaves the room after reading a letter. Except:
- Battler, George, and Jessica walked right past it without noticing it.
- Maria, who was standing facing away for most of the time, somehow saw it.
- It disappeared in the short period of time from when Natsuhi left and they found her body
- It is only mentioned by Maria and in some third person text where Battler is absent. This is the same kind of evidence that the second floor guest room had the chain on, or that the chapel was locked.
- Episode 5 has a letter appearing in a seemingly impossible fashion. Except that there is no confirmation in-story that a letter actually did appear.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote