AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-08, 15:57   Link #2821
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

She had a mind-control program implanted in her, so at the very least she was used in experiments for the artificial mage program.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:36   Link #2822
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
...and that is what I was trying to confirm. Do we know for sure that Lutecia is an Artificial Mage? The last time I suggested it, someone pointed out that in a flashback, Uno and Scaglietti discuss obtaining Megane's child... However, I wasn't able to confirm that either, because I haven't rewatched StrikerS since.
That depends on what you define as an artificial mage. And yes, she is one, according to Jail. Don't remember exactly where it was said, but they referred to her as one, and it's partly why she was hanging around with Zest; they were both artificial mages.

But anyway, there's nothing really concrete about how Jail was involved with Lutecia. All we know is that after they got Megane, Uno noted that she had a daughter that they could use(this is confirmed via a StrikerS flashback; Uno was talking to the brain council at the time). And from the Vivid mange in a flashback, we see Megane using a boost device, which could have been Asclepious. So there are a few ways of looking at it.

#1. My personal pet theory, is that Lu had some magic potential, and Jail boosted that (she's S rank at age, which seems a bit out there). Thus, she's "artificial" in the sense that her magic was amplified and added to. Possibly switched Megane's magic to Lu, and thus Lu is actually summoning Megane's creatures.

#2. A slight deviance from the above, where Lu has no magic, so Jail made her a mage.

#3. The Lu that we know is a clone of Megane's daughter that died(probably died in an experiment); and probably only Jail, Uno, and Quattro know about it. And they ain't talkin'. So Lutecia is like Zest, but just a better-made clone. Possibly Zest was made first, found to be imperfect, and Jail corrected those flaws when making Lu.

I'm sure someone can put out another theory or two, but those are my best guesses.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:50   Link #2823
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You know it's always said that Zest is a clone, yet I can't seem to find anywhere that confirms it. Only ever seen material that says he's an artificial mage.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:54   Link #2824
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
You know it's always said that Zest is a clone, yet I can't seem to find anywhere that confirms it. Only ever seen material that says he's an artificial mage.
Well, they outright say that Zest died. The one we know had to have been a clone.
Old 2011-01-09, 05:41   Link #2825
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
#1. My personal pet theory, is that Lu had some magic potential, and Jail boosted that (she's S rank at age, which seems a bit out there). Thus, she's "artificial" in the sense that her magic was amplified and added to. Possibly switched Megane's magic to Lu, and thus Lu is actually summoning Megane's creatures.

#2. A slight deviance from the above, where Lu has no magic, so Jail made her a mage.

#3. The Lu that we know is a clone of Megane's daughter that died(probably died in an experiment); and probably only Jail, Uno, and Quattro know about it. And they ain't talkin'. So Lutecia is like Zest, but just a better-made clone. Possibly Zest was made first, found to be imperfect, and Jail corrected those flaws when making Lu.
These sound plausible. I find the third theory most likely because all other artificial mages were clones of dead people, but that begs the question where the original Lutecia is. I wouldn't be surprised if Scaglietti killed the girl on purpose... As for theories 1 and 2, the only case we know of such dramatic power boost through external means was Hayate and IIRC the term referring ot her was "Synthetic" or something... Granted, there's not much difference between "Synthetic" and "Artificial", though. Is there a difference in original Japanese?

I also found following passage on the Japanese wiki:

Quote:
不完全ではあるが人造魔導師であり、スカリエッティからはゼストと共に「レリックウェポンの実験体」と呼ば れている。
It seems to consider Lutecia "an incomplete Artificial Mage", though how exactly an AM can be incomplete (other than Zest's coughing-blood-incomplete) is unclear to me. It also refers to them both as "Relic Weapon Experiments". Anyone knows what that actually means?
Old 2011-01-09, 08:03   Link #2826
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
It also refers to them both as "Relic Weapon Experiments". Anyone knows what that actually means?
Don't know about numbers, Subaru and Zest, but Ginga, Lutecia and Vivio had both relic and control mechanism implanted. Whether "cyborg" circle under Lu-chan when Quatro activated control mechanism is because of that or not is unknown.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-01-09, 12:19   Link #2827
Kaijo
Banned

Well, the relics themselves were the result of ancient Belkans trying to strengthen their bodies (magic powers, presumably). When Vivio got one, she got considerably more powerful. It's possible Lutecia (and maybe Zest) had one as well. It could have been removed, or Jail could have utilized another method of transferring a relic's power into someone.

It's possibly why Jail told Lu that she needed Relic #11 to awaken her mom. If there are subtle differences in the relics via number, and Jail got a hold of a database that listed them out, he probably felt #11 would best suit Megane (and thus turn her into another artificial mage along with providing a control mechanism).

The other possible angle on this, is that only ancient Belkans had modified their bodies to be able to accept relics. So part of Jail's research could have been in finding a way to transfer a relic's power to a normal person of today. Since Vivio was technically the only ancient Belkan around, only her body could have taken a relic the normal way.

Anyway, that's mostly my theories to have things make sense. You're pretty much left on your own to decide what the specifics are, since we're never really told what the exact details were.

As far as we know, though, Ginga only had some sort of control/brainwashing in place. No relic emerged from her when Subaru blasted her, so there wasn't one within her.
Old 2011-01-09, 13:02   Link #2828
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
As far as we know, though, Ginga only had some sort of control/brainwashing in place. No relic emerged from her when Subaru blasted her, so there wasn't one within her.
Wasn't it removed with drill-hand and control mechanism? If at all? After all Nanoha specifically tried remove it, while Subaru did not...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-01-09, 15:36   Link #2829
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Wasn't it removed with drill-hand and control mechanism? If at all? After all Nanoha specifically tried remove it, while Subaru did not...
No, all Nanoha wanted to do was knock Vivio out. The whole "blow past her defenses and knock her out with magical damage" schtick. She didn't even know there was a relic in there, just that Quattro was controlling her somehow.

Ginga was the one with the drill hand. Subaru ended that fight with a fairly massive (for her) Divine Buster. Afterward, Ginga was back to her normal self. Vivio was mostly back to herself after Quattro was knocked out, but her body was still controlled by the ship, probably because she had a relic. With that gone and the link cut, Vivio was herself again.
Old 2011-01-09, 22:06   Link #2830
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Anyone know what honorifics Nanoha use for Signum, Shamal and Zafira? And the rest of the cast, for the matter?
Old 2011-01-09, 22:23   Link #2831
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

How old was Hayate when she was first able to freely walk again?

Edit: Per A's Sound Stage 3, Nanoha addresses Signum and Shamal both as "-san" (Yuuno and Chrono are "-kun"; Fate, Hayate, Suzuka, Arisa, and Vita "-chan"; Subaru and Tea don't get an honorific, but that might be because they're Nanoha's subordinates in the military sense; Rein Zwei doesn't get one either). I do note that in the StrikerS sound stages, Nanoha will regularly refer to Hayate, Fate, and Vita by their military ranks/positions when it's apparently appropriate to do so.

I'm going to stop and thank Nagumo right now for leaving the honorifics in when she does her translations so this question can actually have an answer.

(And hm, I just learned that Suzuka's mother is still alive, thanks to said Sound Stage. Which kind of makes sense, since she lived long enough in Nanoha canon to have a second child...)

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2011-01-09 at 22:35.
Old 2011-01-09, 22:26   Link #2832
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the exact date has never been stated... looking at the assorted mangas it was somewhere between six months and six years?
Old 2011-01-09, 22:55   Link #2833
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:

Edit: Per A's Sound Stage 3, Nanoha addresses Signum and Shamal both as "-san" (Yuuno and Chrono are "-kun"; Fate, Hayate, Suzuka, Arisa, and Vita "-chan"; Subaru and Tea don't get an honorific, but that might be because they're Nanoha's subordinates in the military sense; Rein Zwei doesn't get one either). I do note that in the StrikerS sound stages, Nanoha will regularly refer to Hayate, Fate, and Vita by their military ranks/positions when it's apparently appropriate to do so.

I'm going to stop and thank Nagumo right now for leaving the honorifics in when she does her translations so this question can actually have an answer.

(And hm, I just learned that Suzuka's mother is still alive, thanks to said Sound Stage. Which kind of makes sense, since she lived long enough in Nanoha canon to have a second child...)
That's because I long ago realized that the honorifics are very very important clues/hints in determining the relationships between characters. And because the audio dramas are exactly that, audio dramas, you can't see the relationship demonstrated visually.
Old 2011-01-10, 00:52   Link #2834
Arkeus

Quote:
We know Nanoha helped Hayate get better when she herself was crippled. We don't know who finished first, but i'd say they were 13 or so when they got better.
Old 2011-01-11, 19:08   Link #2835
TheRainbowConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
We know Nanoha helped Hayate get better when she herself was crippled. We don't know who finished first, but i'd say they were 13 or so when they got better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS M4 translation
Shamal: As expected of Hayate-chan, it’s definitely/all about you. Moreover it’s that big event; it’s been a little over ten years now.
Hayate: Ten years? Um… Uh…
Shamal: Oh~… Ten years ago from today is the day when Hayate-chan’s legs were declared to be completely recovered!
Hayate: Um… Let’s see… I was in 6th grade…. That happened, and… OH! I remember, I remember! That’s right! Just ten years ago!
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...25#post2694825
So that would put her around 12?

Granted, it then goes on to talk about what seems like the events of A's SS 03, which occurred right as Hayate entered 4th grade, not 6th grade. But of course, Hayate did rehab with Nanoha, so 12 makes a lot more sense than 10.
Old 2011-01-12, 14:31   Link #2836
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

When Ginga transferred to Riot Force 6 and became a Forward, which team was she assigned to? Stars or Lightning?
Old 2011-01-12, 16:05   Link #2837
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
When Ginga transferred to Riot Force 6 and became a Forward, which team was she assigned to? Stars or Lightning?
Did she become a Forward? I thought she was taken in for her investigative experience...
Old 2011-01-12, 16:06   Link #2838
Kaijo
Banned

I don't believe it's mentioned; she was just attached.
Old 2011-01-12, 21:50   Link #2839
Dark Wing

Quote:
I don't think she was really a forward at all but just came aboard to help with their investigation.
Old 2011-01-13, 11:56   Link #2840
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Additionally to the above, I believe her call sign did not acquire either Stars or Lightning, if it even changed.