AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-19, 04:14   Link #1
Calca
Expressionless

Ginban Kaleidoscope

Anime about a girl who is an olympic hopeful in figure skating. Unfortunately, she is also possessed by a Canadian Ghost who shares her body.

Info here

Currently being subbed by Arienai/Conclave and C1anime.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 10:23   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Kawasumi Ayako as Tazusa, the Olympic skater, really makes this series. Kawasumi-san may be the top voice actress of all right now, and she is at her best. She really creates a character, transforming this show from something very ordinary to something quite special.

The animation is a bit clunky, but there are some great facial expressions. Tazusa is a real bitch -- proud and aggressive -- but you come to love her over the series, and see her softer side.

Episode 11 was on last Friday night, and next Friday's episode will be the last one.

ANN page

official site
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 13:14   Link #3
Calca
Expressionless

Yes, I find it hard to imagine the same girl was Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi and also Lafiel from the Stars series.
Old 2006-02-11, 00:26   Link #4
Makaijin

For those interested, this show is based on a novel that is serialized in Super Dash (Shueisha) with 6 volumes compiled. Story by Kaibara Rei, art by Suzuhira Hiro. Also recently a manga adaption serialized in Magaret with 1 volumes released, story again by Kaibara, art by Hasegawa Jyun.
Makaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 03:04   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Just watched episode 10 and it was so poignant that it made me cry by the end.

I'm really praying that the reason Pete Pumps wasn't allowed to go to heaven is because he's in a coma and won't recover for 100 days. After this episode, I couldn't stand it if he vanished forever.

Spoiler for End of episode 10:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 07:47   Link #6
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Just watched episode 10 and it was so poignant that it made me cry by the end.

I'm really praying that the reason Pete Pumps wasn't allowed to go to heaven is because he's in a coma and won't recover for 100 days. After this episode, I couldn't stand it if he vanished forever.

Spoiler for End of episode 10:
I seriously doubt that he could have survived that plane crashed. Not only did it crash into the ground at an incredible velocity, but it completely exploded. To survive that would be insane.

...but then again, this is anime.
Old 2006-02-11, 12:32   Link #7
Ryusei

Actually there's something that surprised me in episode 10. I didn't expect it, and MAYBE it has a meaning (or maybe it's just a mistake, or the director of the anime didn't think about it at all and hope for a good ending is making my mind run in circles)

Spoiler:
Ryusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 03:50   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor
I seriously doubt that he could have survived that plane crashed. Not only did it crash into the ground at an incredible velocity, but it completely exploded. To survive that would be insane.

...but then again, this is anime.
Oh please! Surely you can think of ways that Pete could have survived the plane crash without postulating anything unlikely. Perhaps he bailed out of the plane before impact? We never saw his body in the burning wreckage after all. It is even possible that Pete doesn't know if he got out in time since he could have passed out on ejection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei
Actually there's something that surprised me in episode 10. I didn't expect it, and MAYBE it has a meaning (or maybe it's just a mistake, or the director of the anime didn't think about it at all and hope for a good ending is making my mind run in circles)

Spoiler:
That is interesting. I suspect it is the fault of inconsistency on the animator's part, but honestly shadows have been important before. Episode 7 of Paranoia Agent works because of the attention to shadows.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 04:32   Link #9
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Oh please! Surely you can think of ways that Pete could have survived the plane crash without postulating anything unlikely. Perhaps he bailed out of the plane before impact? We never saw his body in the burning wreckage after all. It is even possible that Pete doesn't know if he got out in time since he could have passed out on ejection.
Okay, now I'm sorry to say you're just being delusionally optimistic. How often are bodies found in plane crashes? Especially Pete's crash. The plane was pretty much completely incinerated along with the body which happens in most plane crashes. And bailed out? Do you really think Pete could bail out at a plane that looked like it was actually accelerating into the ground. Which means it would be going faster than terminal velocity. Even if Pete did bail out, the fall would kill him even with a parachute because it would be too low for him not to mention he would have ejected with the plane cascading at breakneck speed towards the ground. It wouldn't have shown the plane crash the way it did otherwise.

Sorry NSW, I agree with you on a lot of things, but this time I'm afraid you're looking at things through rose-colored glasses. Throw away all your hopes of a happy ending and look at this logically. There is no way any human could have survived that crash.
Old 2006-02-12, 07:51   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
I agree with the previous post, but not in the conclusion... Shouldn't you think there could be a happy ending without Pete actually being alive? For one thing, with all of 2 episodes left to go, both of which take place at the Olympics, there's no real room for your scenario to occur.
You are really overthinking the show, all of you. It is a very very simple show, with a simple story and only 2 important characters.

Then again, I've watched the end so maybe I'm biased. Hell, I've translated the end so I'm even more biased.

Arienai and Conclave will be releasing 11 and 12 soon, NO LATER THAN feb 23rd, because that's the actual date on which the final episode takes place (the finals of the Torino women's figure skating). Pretty rare to release on the actual day the anime is supposed to take place, eh? Well, it might be a bit before then, we're waiting on editing now.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 10:44   Link #11
Furudanuki

I saw on the news this morning that Michelle Kwan had to withdraw from the Olympics because her injury had not healed completely. On a serious note, I am genuinely sorry for Michelle since this was her last realistic shot at another Olympic medal, and she deserved a better exit. On a much less serious note, this means that Tazusa's chances for a medal just went up!
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 11:25   Link #12
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Arienai and Conclave will be releasing 11 and 12 soon, NO LATER THAN feb 23rd, because that's the actual date on which the final episode takes place (the finals of the Torino women's figure skating). Pretty rare to release on the actual day the anime is supposed to take place, eh? Well, it might be a bit before then, we're waiting on editing now.
That's great to hear.
I bet it's a very unique experience to watch the last episode on Feb 23rd.
It'll make it even more special and memorable.

Oh a side note, on episode 10, when they showed the flame dieing out, I thought : "OMG ! PETE IS A TORCH !"
Haha, guess I watched too much Shakugan no SHANA. :x
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 19:56   Link #13
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

has anyone have any info about the original novel version of Ginban Kaleidoscope? I know it's definately longer than the TV series. There were 4 or 5 volumes so far..
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 20:14   Link #14
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
Haha, if I ever want to find an interesting crazy plot I'll just look for the latest anime. That's pretty ridiculous, but is it any good?
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 21:37   Link #15
Ryusei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
That's great to hear.
I bet it's a very unique experience to watch the last episode on Feb 23rd.
Ahah, i'll actually be there to watch it (the real thing) :P I wonder if i'll meet Tazusa, i'll definately tell you if she seems to talk to the thin air around her :P

Back to being serious. Bailing out during such a manouver is outright impossible. As a pilot you notice you don't have enough altitude to complete the loop when you're at the top of it or when it's too late. If he would have noticed when he was at the top he could have interrupted the loop in an Immelman (doing an half tonneaux at the top and continuing straight) and survived, but since he went on with it we can assume he didn't notice until the very last moment. At that time it's too late to bail out. You don't have the time ti physically open the canopy, and even if you do the pure force of the acceleration slams you against the seat, you definately can't bail. Even if by an incredible miracle you manage to do it, you're too low to survive, aerobatics planes like Pete's don't have an ejection seat that can let you hit the silk safely at 0 altitude, so you're simply doomed on your seat and can only pray for your soul.

On the other hand, yes, there could be a thousand ways in wich Pete could have been saved, even just by a "miracle", or by giving him another body. If a ghost can come back and haunt you, i don't see why miracles can't happen. They do in christmas season american movies, why can't they happen in an anime about ice skating? :P

Quarkboy: if i understood you well you practically telegraphed the ending to my brain.... sigh, i SO hate you now :P but again, you translated it, so i forgive you :P
Ryusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 18:29   Link #16
ultrataro

i mentioned this in another group, but i kind of found it interesting having recently seen the episode Tazusa goes throught e press conference ordeal & watching Michelle Kwans press conference in real life. The reporters weren't antagonistic like the anime, but all us watching it though the reporters were idtiots. How often did they have to basically ask the same question? & the question asked near the end that had Michelle eyes start welling with tears, we were like geeze, that was pretty mean of the reporter. Duh, I think it's pretty obvious how she'd feel about this. I felt the whole affair was pretty unnecessary.
Spoiler:

As for Pete surviving, I'd like to say not, but strange freak things have happened.

Last edited by ultrataro; 2006-02-14 at 18:32.
ultrataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:03   Link #17
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

In my opinion, I think the Japanese mass media is way eviler than the american ones. American media might be rude and stupid and loud, but at least we're nice and straightforward. There's something insidious about the fake politeness about the japanese mass media, especially during controversies.
By the way, there was an interesting story on the news here a while back, where a prominant city politician paid a reporter to print bad press about his opponent. Actually, it turns out that such a thing is entirely legal. It's unethical (especially for the reporter), but it doesn't break any laws.

P.S. Who are the Japanese entries into the women's figure skating this year anyway? Do they have any medal contenders?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-02-13, 21:40   Link #18
Korb
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Korb Send a message via AIM to Korb Send a message via MSN to Korb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
P.S. Who are the Japanese entries into the women's figure skating this year anyway? Do they have any medal contenders?
I think the real issue with the Japanese skating team is not who is there, but who isn't there. Mao Asada, who many consider to be their best skater, is a year too young to compete in the Olympics. She is the first female skater to land two triple axels during a competition.

The three female individual skaters representing Japan are, Miki Ando, Shizuka Arakawa and Fumie Suguri.
Korb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 23:08   Link #19
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korb
I think the real issue with the Japanese skating team is not who is there, but who isn't there. Mao Asada, who many consider to be their best skater, is a year too young to compete in the Olympics. She is the first female skater to land two triple axels during a competition.
I wonder if being so tiny is what let's her manage those types of jumps... Maybe when she get's older she'll have to settle for normal slightly less godly jumping ability.

Hmmmm, if her family owned a dog, I would name him "Carne".... hmm....
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-02-14, 05:36   Link #20
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korb
I think the real issue with the Japanese skating team is not who is there, but who isn't there. Mao Asada, who many consider to be their best skater, is a year too young to compete in the Olympics. She is the first female skater to land two triple axels during a competition. The three female individual skaters representing Japan are, Miki Ando, Shizuka Arakawa and Fumie Suguri.
Mao and her elder sister Mai have an amazing home page.

I think our Tazusa, if there is one, is Miki. She is the only woman in the world ever to land a quad jump in competition. She made a point of wearing gold blades for the World Junior Championship she won a couple of years ago, and said it was because gold is for champions and she wanted to be a champion. She trains part of the time in the US, and some people think she's going to go there to train more of the time. (Shizuka trains in America with a Russian coach.)

Although she may have fallen back a bit this year, Miki has special potential. One article says: "She remains exceptionally popular in Japan, however, and gets a lot of attention from gossip magazines and other Japanese media." It was controversial that she was sent to Torino instead of other skaters who finished ahead of her this year.

There are decent articles about all three of the Japanese skaters that you can get to from here. And here is another good article about Miki Ando.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, shounen, sports