AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-11-16, 02:19   Link #81
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

New trailer for the second half. Looks like they didn't dispose of Irina after all (not really a spoiler), and now it's Lev's turn to train.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 10:41   Link #82
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
New trailer for the second half. Looks like they didn't dispose of Irina after all (not really a spoiler), and now it's Lev's turn to train.

YouTube
It does seem like there are some assassination attempts though .
Old 2021-11-16, 20:42   Link #83
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post

YouTube
Definitely going to ramp up the romance in the second half...which I'm good with .
Old 2021-11-21, 13:08   Link #84
Frontier

It was nice to see people congratulating and applauding Irina for what she accomplished. The world may never know her as the first true Cosmonaut, but others recognize what she achieved and appreciate it. And they even take her snark in stride .

I love how they're all eating cheeseburgers both to mock the UK and cementing that's something they're willing to recognize the UK as achieving .

Lev is a candidate again! It's basically his last chance, but he's finally back in the running! I love how happy Irina is to see him become a candidate again. Although you can tell it's also bittersweet because, not being her handler anymore, Irina is likely to see him less and less .

The sub-director got transferred along with Franz? Franz wasn't "erased?" I'm glad Irina will never have to deal with them again though .

Natalia is still posing as a matron? Must be pretty weird to get fed and taken care of by a KGB agent .

Man, Irina and Lev playing catch with a globe was so adorable. They already have perfect couple banter. Just get together already you two .

Roza is still as ice cold as ever, but Irina's more overt in not taking any of her @#$% anymore .

Good news is Irina's achievements in space have earned her a stay of execution, although there are some in the government who would be all too happy to see her meet an "accident" .

It's nice to see Irina and Anya bonding and getting to spend the Holidays together, and Anya even got Irina into a lovely dress! Shame that Lev didn't get to see her in it .

Irina and Anya having fun on the ice and just being friends was so sweet. Their friendship has become so genuine (just watch out for Anya's in-depth physical while you're in your skivvies, Irinyan) .

What did Irina realize when she saw the moon? Her feelings for Lev? It seemed like she might've been about to confess before the two were discovered in the snow and Irina awkwardly shifted away from Lev before anyone saw them .
Old 2021-11-21, 18:03   Link #85
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

The 'game' of catch with the globe was pretty hilarious . These two...Of course Irina's likely confession was cut off by the rescue and so we'll have to wait a bit longer on that front.

On the positive side, Lev being away for a bit did allow the friendship between Irina and Anya to grow so that was nice. Definitely a strong pair in their own right. No doubt Irina's wish wasn't exactly what she stated it was . But doubt she could easily voice the truth.

No question Lev should make it to the final group. Whether he'll be in the top 3 to start I'm not sure. But even if he isn't...something will probably happen to open up a slot.
Old 2021-11-21, 18:29   Link #86
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Lol, the super racist didn't even get screentime before being deleted from the show
That other guy at least got to say his goodbuys

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-21, 18:35   Link #87
Friday
Im shy too...

I missed ep7 and glad she got to space and returned(sort of safely....).

ep8

the space programme continues.... just need to work on there landing abit

best part 20:36-20:40
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 08:57   Link #88
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko_uwais View Post
Well, I can read japanese and already bought the digital version of the Japanese version of vol. 7 so....
How was the story overall? What sort of plot direction do the books take towards the end?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-28, 12:44   Link #89
Frontier

So the Americans, or their equivalent, are making progress in their own space program and have sent a chimp into space. Also, vampires are a minority there too? Huh. Also I love how they always bring up hamburgers .

No surprise that the name characters make it into the top three, but so does Lev! His comrades aren't quite as receptive to his attempt at friendship, but who cares, he made it .

Irina is like peak tsundere acting so haughty and dismissive to hide her real feelings, even when it couldn't be more obvious. She's blushing more and more and getting less effective at hiding her real feelings and happiness for Lev, and it's utterly adorable. I also love how Lev was about to say that Irina is the first Cosmonaut .

The Cosmonaut training is pretty grueling for Lev, Mikhail, and Roza, and eventually Roza cant keep up and Lev needs to save her from crashing during parachute training. Luckily neither end up to worse for wear because of it .

What's Roza's beef? Well, the Communists say on paper that the genders are equal, but bias against the fairer sex are still prevalent, and Roza has had to struggle with being judged and dismissed for being a woman ever since she joined the Air Force. So she's had to struggle to outdo all her male colleagues and pushed herself so far that she lashed out at anyone she felt was a competition, even if she didn't mean to come off so hostile. She finally apologizes to Lev and Irina, although not to Irina's face, but it would be nice if she and Irina could meet and Roza could express how much she really respects her .

It is pretty ironic that Irina would witness Lev getting chummy with another woman, not knowing said woman was actually trying to get across how much she really respected Irina instead of flirting with Lev...

Oof. Someone tried to assassinate Irina. It didn't succeed, and luckily Natalia is keeping watch on Irina to protect her, but still. Although it seems like this guy was just a radical and not a concentrated effort to kill her, so hopefully this is the last of it .

Well, the good news is Irina has proven her worth enough that they're going to employ her in their design department...the bad news is she's going to be leaving in two days, and she and Lev might never see each other again. But they want to celebrate Lev's success on Armed Forces Day and Anya plays wingwoman to get the two alone together so they can make it into a date .
Old 2021-11-28, 14:32   Link #90
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Oof. Someone tried to assassinate Irina. It didn't succeed, and luckily Natalia is keeping watch on Irina to protect her, but still. Although it seems like this guy was just a radical and not a concentrated effort to kill her, so hopefully this is the last of it
Not fully convinced of this, a caught spy/assassin shouldn't give away their chain of command.
Old 2021-11-29, 12:07   Link #91
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Honestly I thought they'd go the route where Lev only made it as a reserve for whatever reason and then got bumped up later. But I suppose just making him qualify from the start works. Plus plenty of good reasons to select him anyways.

Oh boy. Irina has transitioned right into a standard tsundere mode . Good thing Lev is really positive and there's a helpful translator around too. If nothing else it is cute watching her try to act firm only to be undercut like that.

And no shock that Lev isn't nearly as combative as his 'compatriots'. They are all over being the first to space. Even though they all know that the first person that made it was Irina. Though I guess if fame is the motivation then being the first of that trio is enough. Can try to pretend they were the truly first people heading to space and soak up their place in history.

Good to see they are making the best use of Irina's experience. That was the advantage of sending her. Getting key information about what went right and what went wrong.

Even with the assassination attempt...things were pretty great. Things went right into lovey-dovey mode at the end there . Good work Anya. These two need a push if anything is going to happen.

Although definitely worried. I'm not sure either way if Anya and Irina would push the romance side of it forward if she was being disposed of. If what she told Lev is the story she was told to tell him then it probably isn't true. So it just depends on what exactly is really going to happen to her. Though I can't think of a lot of positive possibilities there. Here's hoping this isn't a tragic romance.
Old 2021-12-01, 06:05   Link #92
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-20 at 07:58.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-01, 11:05   Link #93
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Goddamn Anya...
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-01, 11:35   Link #94
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Anya enjoying dressed up Irina .
Old 2021-12-05, 12:35   Link #95
Frontier

Lev and Irina's favorite jazz bar is closed, but that's a perfect time to go to the movies! It's so adorable how into it Irina got seeing her first film, how she freaked out and even gave it a standing ovation. It was perfect .

Nothing more romantic than a night picnic! Especially with food Irina cooked herself for Lev! Thank you for your bravery in being a taste-tester Anya .

You know you're in love with a vampire when you want them to bite your neck...too bad that bus had to come by to ruin the mood. Lev isn't ashamed of Irina at all, but Irina doesn't want to jeopardize Lev's standing, no matter her own feelings .

It's come down to Lev and Mikhail, and the marketing machine is getting ready to promote the new hero of the Motherland, and Lyudmila is there to weigh in on them herself and get their bearing. She teases a lot and feels like a lady with a silver-tongue who keeps her real opinion to herself, but she seems genuine in wanting to see a revolution happen one way or another .

"Irina-chan?" How does that translate in Russian? I prefer Irinyan myself .

Ugh. Irina has people tailing her and making sure she doesn't act out, like when she rushes to see Lev again after chancing upon him in Sangrad. And they were jerks to Anya too! They didn't need to knock the ice cream away .

So Irina kind of lied about the design job. They're just basically experimenting/testing her to see how her body might have changed or been effected by her time in space. She basically traded one cell for another, and assumes she's doomed the moment they get a human into space. But maybe there might be something she can offer to the Motherland...

Lev did it! He got picked And I guess Mikhail drops all pretenses of politeness and says he can't believe Lev was chosen over him, but it seems like Lev can better embody the hopes and dreams of the Motherland with his genuine kindness and ideals than Mikhail can .

Lev is getting ready for his trip into space, and wants a codename that befits the message he wants to send to Irina while he's in space, but will these two ever be reunited ?

Irina singing while looking at the stars and thinking of Lev...she's got it bad. Also an excuse for Megumi Hayashibara to sing, because it would've been a waste if she didn't .

Last edited by Frontier; 2021-12-05 at 21:13.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-06, 22:09   Link #96
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

I sure hope this ends on a positive note. Can we just go with the idea of having Irina become an actress or singer? She can totally do it! Come on guys. It's a total waste. Plus logically there is a benefit. Lev can be a bit of a loose canon and follow his gut. Keeping Irina alive gives him motivation to follow the 'company line' and behave himself. While disposing of her risks upsetting your national hero.

Still, I half wonder if Lev will miss out on going to space. Ignoring Mikhail having serious motivations to take Lev out to get his spot, there are other considerations. If Lev finds out that Irina is going to be disposed the second someone is sent to space, wouldn't he abandon that opportunity to try and help her? Although maybe that's being too dramatic and beyond logic since he can hardly fight his way to her and safely get her out of there.

Still, if there's a desire for a revolution then let's hope these two are both alive and at the center of it.
Old 2021-12-07, 22:52   Link #97
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

So this is the localized title?
Kinda like Buffy: The Vampire Slayer?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-10, 17:29   Link #98
Ghostfriendly

The White Rose of Stalingrad was the highest scoring female fighter ace in history with five to twelve solo kills, which somewhat expresses the continuing gender prejudice in this area. She died for her country as did Roza's namesake Roza Shanina, ace sniper and diarist. The unbearably hackneyed anti-feminist tripe of episode 9 was insulting to them along with many, many other women who don't need to be saved by male heroes, slandered as incapable of competing without destroying their people skills and 'feminine sensibilities' or have their achievements ignored in an episode named for them, in favour of romantic drama. Furthermore, William S. Lind is an extremely racist and misogynistic idiot who should be put in the stocks and pelted with rotten eggs.

Thankfully, these problems seem confined to episode 9. The series would be a lot better if it had done anything sensible with poor Roza, but is otherwise still perfectly decent.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-10, 20:19   Link #99
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
The White Rose of Stalingrad was the highest scoring female fighter ace in history with five to twelve solo kills, which somewhat expresses the continuing gender prejudice in this area. She died for her country as did Roza's namesake Roza Shanina, ace sniper and diarist. The unbearably hackneyed anti-feminist tripe of episode 9 was insulting to them along with many, many other women who don't need to be saved by male heroes, slandered as incapable of competing without destroying their people skills and 'feminine sensibilities' or have their achievements ignored in an episode named for them, in favour of romantic drama. Furthermore, William S. Lind is an extremely racist and misogynistic idiot who should be put in the stocks and pelted with rotten eggs.

Thankfully, these problems seem confined to episode 9. The series would be a lot better if it had done anything sensible with poor Roza, but is otherwise still perfectly decent.
I don't think it was being anti-feminist so much as just diving into who Roza, individually, as a character is and what her situation is and how she let herself be effected by her position.
Old 2021-12-11, 12:56   Link #100
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I don't think it was being anti-feminist so much as just diving into who Roza, individually, as a character is and what her situation is and how she let herself be effected by her position.
The over-achieving ice queen (ice queen normally replaced with something much ruder), and faux action damsel, are very tired and toxic cliches. If they tried to create an individual character, the writers abysmally failed. I would say that they probably didn't mean to, except that degrading women sells stories.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, historical