AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-03, 03:12   Link #2341
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^With a name title like "What's Your Religion?" wouldn't that be obvious? Arguing for ones faith is one thing, having a discussion as to the validity of religion (just to name the recent turn in the conversation) is something else entirely...
, it is indeed obvious. But why wasn't there any moderator(or something) erasing the "out of topic-ness" in this?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 03:33   Link #2342
james0246

^Probably because it is already 118 pages long . That being said, the mods do stop in every few days to make sure everyone is being "nice and friendly" and to encourage some posters to start new threads (or look up old threads with similar topics). SO, it's not like there is no "overseer", its just a little hard to moderate such a long thread.

That being said, technically no one should post in this thread if they are simply going to deride religion or if they are going to talk about atheism (hmm, I wonder if my talk of agnosticism would follow under the same rules), etc. But, as you can see, these types of posts make up a nice size minority of all the posts on this thread...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 03:33   Link #2343
Cipher

Quote:
^Probably because it is already 118 pages long . That being said, mods do come on once in awhile to clear up the thread, or, more likely, encourage the posters to start other threads.
And thus, we've started yet another direction.

To go back, What's the effect of society and your family's opinions on your stance?
Old 2009-10-03, 04:31   Link #2344
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I believe so. If you've seen some of those old films, you could tell that they've been, ad infinitum, creating "theories" and "speculations" on our situations particularly our scientific developments.
Five hundred years ago, there were no movies, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think that flying machines or the internet were a widespread fantasy then, either.

Quote:
Now, if these more recent persons did this, our ancestors' tendency and the higher chance of earlier "theories" and "speculations" of the future
is clear.
I have no idea what you're even trying to say.

Quote:
If you meant "imagining" us by *exactly* us. Then no, that would be the impossible extreme of human *intuition*.

Yes, perhaps it is. Though, if you want to reduce your worry of the distant future, I suggest...
Who says I'm worried?

Quote:
*strongly* looking for the *best* "theories" and "speculations";studying every form of religion and other studies......that is, *if* you worry.

No offense, just a suggestion you could simply ignore.
A stupid suggestion. Why should I rate religions a better predictor than Star Trek fanfictions? Or the drunken ravings of a hobo? (In fact, they should be considerably lower, if only by virtue of having been spawned by people who died centuries ago...)

Quote:
Organization includes calculation of the *possibilities*. Its part of the system of *aligning*(organizing) standard organizations.For example, companies, with organization, will try to "predict" their "long-term" futures. Thus, religions are created.
What makes you think religions have anything to do with long term business predictions?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2009-10-03 at 08:35.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 08:27   Link #2345
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
That being said, technically no one should post in this thread if they are simply going to deride religion or if they are going to talk about atheism (hmm, I wonder if my talk of agnosticism would follow under the same rules), etc. But, as you can see, these types of posts make up a nice size minority of all the posts on this thread...
I'm curious as to why Atheism would be considered an inappropriate discussion topic for this thread? Are we taking religion to mean, strictly, "belief in an (perhaps omniscient) diety(s) of some kind," or can religion be used as a general term to mean "a set of beliefs by which one chooses to live their life?" If it's the latter, then Atheism and Agnosticism are certainly valid topics of discussion, for they are precisely that; a set of beliefs that centers around the idea that there either is not, or may or may not be, a "God", respectively.
Old 2009-10-03, 09:45   Link #2346
Anju-chan
Fly!!!
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Please remember that the topic is if you are religious or not (and stating you are an atheist would therefore be considered on-topic I believe).
And, back on topic, I'm Catholic.

Courtesy of ayu-smepai
Anju-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 18:13   Link #2347
james0246

^My mistake. I thought that the absence of religion was disallowed in this thread dedicated to which religion the various users have. Thank you for the correction.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 21:30   Link #2348
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

@Cipher and james0246

That is why the other thread popped up. to discuss the details and such... Since Xris clearly made it that this was more about if you are religious or not than discussing the beliefs themselves....

For those not clear about that, and don't know about it, here is the thread.

Varieties of Theism: Monotheism, Polytheism, Deism, Pantheism, and More
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 07:16   Link #2349
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Five hundred years ago, there were no movies, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think that flying machines or the internet were a widespread fantasy then, either.

I have no idea what you're even trying to say.
Sorry, what I meant was, if people in the "near" past thought of the future, wouldn't that mean that people in the "far" past thought the same?(please just look at this as a question.)

Quote:
A stupid suggestion. Why should I rate religions a better predictor than Star Trek fanfictions? Or the drunken ravings of a hobo? (In fact, they should be considerably lower, if only by virtue of having been spawned by people who died centuries ago...)
"Religions and *other* studies". I guess if you've truly *inspected* every belief system, "craziness", and theisms (including atheism and anything with "eism") and considered Star Trek or something else as your choice then fine. If not and you don't want to *inspect*, then that's fine too----it was just a suggestion after all.

Quote:
What makes you think religions have anything to do with long term business predictions?
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't humanity's tendency to care about the future, one of the reasons' why there's religion? But I guess that's not right so I guess, , you're right, it doesn't have to be religion---especially if we have the more reliable scientific calculations.
Old 2009-10-04, 07:49   Link #2350
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Sorry, what I meant was, if people in the "near" past thought of the future, wouldn't that mean that people in the "far" past thought the same?(please just look at this as a question.)
Of course they thought of the future. Doesn't mean they did it with any accuracy. Or that their thought should be any big concern to us now. Do you really think the weather forecasts of two weeks ago matter when we've got the updated data of today to predict the weather tomorrow?

Quote:
"Religions and *other* studies". I guess if you've truly *inspected* every belief system, "craziness", and theisms (including atheism and anything with "eism") and considered Star Trek or something else as your choice then fine. If not and you don't want to *inspect*, then that's fine too----it was just a suggestion after all.
And, again, you dodge the real question: what's the relevance of religion to the prediction of the future? At all? Just because "it's just a suggestion" doesn't mean it shouldn't be supported by at least a modicum of reasoning.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't humanity's tendency to care about the future, one of the reasons' why there's religion?
That begs two questions:
- whyever the hell would you think that?
- so what if it is? It doesn't mean religion is any good at predicting the future.

Quote:
But I guess that's not right so I guess, , you're right, it doesn't have to be religion---especially if we have the more reliable scientific calculations.
Then why did you mention religion at all?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 12:04   Link #2351
npcomplete

I thought this thread was to highlight various religions that people may hold here and to discuss, compare, contrast, etc.

The more philosophical debate on belief systems in general--including questioning them--should belong in the Varieties of Theism: Monotheism, Polytheism, Deism, Pantheism, and More
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 15:12   Link #2352
paket12

100% atheist religion is just a waste of time, live life,die then see what happens. thats what i think.
paket12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 15:24   Link #2353
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

... you just had to revive this thread, didn't you?

Anyway, that sounds like practical atheism, or apatheism, rather than atheism proper.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 17:21   Link #2354
autobachs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paket12 View Post
100% atheist religion is just a waste of time, live life,die then see what happens. thats what i think.
Trust me, if some shit happens to you and didn't see it coming then I won't be surprised if you beg (some) god to salvage you, and of course... beg for mercy.
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 17:34   Link #2355
Proto

Well, that's entirely human in moments of frailty. I think there is more than one scientific study in that respect. (about why do people psyche turn weaker during moments of high stress and show a greater tendency to turn to something at least apparently firm, in this case religion), coupled with stories about 'seeing the light' and whatnot. I guess Pascal's wager turns out to be more attractive during those moments.
Old 2009-10-16, 17:37   Link #2356
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
Trust me, if some shit happens to you and didn't see it coming then I won't be surprised if you beg (some) god to salvage you, and of course... beg for mercy.
Which begs the question if religion is a kind of Stockholm syndrome towards a non-existing dungeon master of the universe.
Old 2009-10-16, 18:14   Link #2357
Proto

You know, I was thinking of the exact same thing as I was writing my post.
Old 2010-01-20, 15:38   Link #2358
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Haruhiist.

I belive in our lordliness and savoriness, Haruhi Suzumiya.

:3
Old 2010-01-21, 03:13   Link #2359
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
Haruhiist.

I belive in our lordliness and savoriness, Haruhi Suzumiya.

:3
lol savoriness

That reminds me of the recognition of Jedism in the UK, and Scottish Jedi police
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 03:27   Link #2360
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
lol savoriness

That reminds me of the recognition of Jedism in the UK, and Scottish Jedi police
But she's technically a god, so it's a totally legit religion.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion