Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-29, 22:05   Link #41
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-Lapis
I'm glad some people liked Kurau 01.

The series is 20+ episodes long, according to the interview here. I hope it continues to be a good series.
Yeah, BONES never makes shows that are less than 24 episodes long... So I expect this to be the same (probably 24 episodes since that seems to be the standard length for TV Asahi shows)

But the first ep was indeed excellent. I doubt it'll maintain this excellence for long too, but hopefully it will continue to be worthwhile.
Old 2004-06-29, 22:25   Link #42
RaistlinMajereFS
Banned

Our GA releases have been in all caps too

I'll raise the font size for next ep, sorry to those of you who found it too small.
Old 2004-06-29, 23:37   Link #43
EfrainMan
Scourge of the Seven Seas

This is really an exceptional show. I love the character designs. They have races! Yeah! They're not just a bunch of weird hair-colored people! You can tell she's half-japanese half-white. Plus they look and move so realistically (where applicable ) and the music is adds without distracting. The entire episode was nothing but premise, and was still great. I can't wait until the plot is revealed! I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed some other recent stuff (even better than Samurai 7). Heck, I might even get my broke ass to buy it when it's localized.
Old 2004-06-30, 01:01   Link #44
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfrainMan
This is really an exceptional show. I love the character designs. They have races! Yeah! They're not just a bunch of weird hair-colored people! You can tell she's half-japanese half-white. Plus they look and move so realistically (where applicable ) and the music is adds without distracting. The entire episode was nothing but premise, and was still great. I can't wait until the plot is revealed! I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed some other recent stuff (even better than Samurai 7). Heck, I might even get my broke ass to buy it when it's localized.
I dont think you can tell she is half-japanese just based on the character designs, but thats just me. The character designs remind me of Planet-ES actually.
Old 2004-06-30, 01:18   Link #45
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

I was reading a Japanese blog on this show and the writer said something that hit a chord. I think the first episode would have been a lot more effective if last half was shown before the first.

Spoiler:

Oh I love this show. Yet when I read that blog entry, I found myself nodding in agreement. It just shows I'm thinking about this show more than I normally do, because I'm more emotionally involved with it already than I normally would be. I'm hoping that this show delves into issues of personal identity. Who is Kurau? Who is Rynax? How are they one, and how are they separate? How does one define the self?

Last edited by RobertM; 2004-06-30 at 01:28.
Old 2004-06-30, 01:28   Link #46
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Wow! What an impressive first epsiode, I almost instantly fell in love with Kurau, she is great!! The voice acting was superb, especially for the child. (The VA is the voice for Mahoro, Hikari from Konomini, and Megumi from Rah Xephon, some of my faves!

I really can't wait to see more of this, we may be in for a nice treat
Old 2004-06-30, 02:40   Link #47
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

So we have an original 24 ish episode series... Sounds good. Made for TV, so I'm gonna be super hyper deluxe optomistic and hope each episode counts and that theres no filler .

Kurau has her mother's eyes.. but besides that i dont think she looks mixed. Actually I thought she was a man in the beginning. She surely does not look/act the kawaii lolita character found anime.
Spoiler:
Kurau has more personality than that . Love how different her bland voice is from her excited voice (especially the preview one).

Good point, sticking the teary fuzzy wuzzy parts together would've been a little better, never thought about it

its going to be a goooood summer
Old 2004-06-30, 06:09   Link #48
gmackenz

Interesting show, terrible sub fonts

Very intriguing new show, seems very promising. Very enjoyable soundtrack and ending song for a change [for me anyways].

AH's choice of font for the sub was causing me get off my couch and stare real close to the screen. As a Graphic Designer, I beg that all fansub groups please restrain their "creative" urges and refrain from using all caps or to "fancy" a font [AH is not alone in getting a little "precious" in their font choices]. Useing an elegant traditional serif (or if you absolutely must, a sans-serif font) is the most legible to the most eyes.

It certainly was way too small a size, and made the viewing experience a bit of a strain. All caps is never a good design decision, except when you (like in chatting online) want to make point by its use. Reading it for too long is extremely taxing to the average reader. It's not designed for reading body text any document. Look at me ramble on.

Still wonderful promising start to a new season of Anime.
Old 2004-06-30, 12:11   Link #49
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I have to agree - the use of an all caps font is just plain amateurish and shows they're not catering to readability, but only catering to some misguided effort to make themselves look better. I thought it was basic knowledge that something like that should never be done, for the reasons you already described.

You only happened to post about it first because I opted to go to sleep first. =p Though, I also haven't seen the fonts in question; I'm just commenting on what others have said about it. (I'm not really sure I -want- to see it...)
Old 2004-06-30, 14:58   Link #50
TronDD
Team the box!

In my opinion, such an interesting concept couldn't have been more boringly presented.

The story has a lot of potential but the first episode did nothing to grab me. It would have been a lot better if told in that alternate order RobertM mentioned.

Right now I don't hold up much hope for the potential to be used properly but I'll give it a chance since most of the other shows that have started this season so far are worse.

EDIT: Oh, my only problem with the subbing was that some lines were not displayed long enough. When the character said something short and quick, they only displayed the subtitle in the time the character actually spoke. If my eyes weren't already at the bottom of the screen, by the time they got there, the sub was gone.
Old 2004-06-30, 18:53   Link #51
EfrainMan
Scourge of the Seven Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
I dont think you can tell she is half-japanese just based on the character designs, but thats just me. The character designs remind me of Planet-ES actually.
I think what I meant was that she didn't have blue eyes just because, but because she had a gringa mother (that's white to you, buddy ). I dunno, I like little things, attention to details like that. It makes me like this show just that much more.

But the order of events was pretty good for me, I liked the flow used better that what that guy's blog described. I liked that the mystery of the second person was kinda separated by the action. Plus, it was nice to see the slivers of the little girl that used to be in the grown-up girl. And it gave more mystery about there being other events between then and now (like, where's daddy?). My 2¢.
Old 2004-06-30, 19:17   Link #52
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

here is my question, so she takes over kurau's body and lives in it for a while.. looks like 10years at least. In the previews it seems her other half wakes up and instantly has a body without taking over anyone?
Old 2004-07-01, 05:38   Link #53
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think Rynax didn't "take over" Kurau's body, instead they merged, into one single inseparable being.

Yup I agree AH needs to change their fonts... it really hurts the eye to see those fancy fonts in caps...
Old 2004-07-01, 07:35   Link #54
Budweineken
Crap

The first episode was incredible.... I really loved the transition from a girl really exited about expiriencing life... to a woman that seems fed up with life... I wonder what impact the partner will bring in the series.... will we have two Kurau's or what?
Old 2004-07-01, 11:44   Link #55
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I think Rynax didn't "take over" Kurau's body, instead they merged, into one single inseparable being.
didn't rynax promise she would leave when her partner was strong enough?
Old 2004-07-01, 16:15   Link #56
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

This episode was too great to be true...
i hope they will keep the quality.
Drawings, music, animation 10/10

Rynax said that she will leave the body of Kurau but she did not. But the episode ended with the "sleeping one" finally awaken. Maybe Rynax will have a problem and then she will be obligated to stay in Kurau's body.
Old 2004-07-01, 17:02   Link #57
-AR-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
didn't rynax promise she would leave when her partner was strong enough?
From what I understood, (haven't seen the subs though) Rynax promised to leave Kurau's body if Kurau's father finds a way to let Rynax exist with its pair.
Before that Rynax said it doesn't even know how to leave Kurau's body.
Old 2004-07-02, 23:04   Link #58
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Just saw episode 2 raw, and because it's the OP, I guess it's not really a spoiler, but oh well, just in case, I'll use the spoiler tags, because I was totally surprised by all this. And being surprised was fun.
Spoiler:

Also, re. Kurau's personality,
Spoiler:

I like being surprised. This series has not been predictable so far, at least for me. I am enjoying this.
Old 2004-07-02, 23:44   Link #59
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I cried at the end of episode 2. >_< I'm lost at words how to desrcribe this show. Really exceptional. And her father is just an amazing person.
Old 2004-07-03, 03:42   Link #60
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I cried at the end of episode 2. >_< I'm lost at words how to desrcribe this show. Really exceptional. And her father is just an amazing person.
If that means...
Spoiler:
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, sci-fi