AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-16, 00:24   Link #301
Key Board
Carbon

An environmentalism themed anime where the protagonists are the polluters?

It's like something that bizarro Shoji Kawamori would make

hell yeah!
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 13:37   Link #302
OutSmart
Comic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

It's like something that bizarro Shoji Kawamori would make

hell yeah!
yeh I'm still a bit wtf'd, but the only thing keeping me for the 3rd ep is the interesting theme. Lets see how this series evolves..
Old 2009-04-16, 15:27   Link #303
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 2 animation was horrendous and no cool boomerang fighting action. Im not giving it up yet since i like the over all theme lets just hopes it gets better but im not happy about Gonzo working on this since i am not a big fan of theirs anyway.
Old 2009-04-16, 15:38   Link #304
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Captain Planet is rolling in his grave.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 18:04   Link #305
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

I just saw the first ep, and I rolled on the floor.....I love it to death. I mean come on, carbon finance? Hedging? Shangri-la is a bad title, it should be called rise of the carbon quant.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:49   Link #306
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
I just saw the first ep, and I rolled on the floor.....I love it to death. I mean come on, carbon finance? Hedging? Shangri-la is a bad title, it should be called rise of the carbon quant.
I think it was meant to be an ironic title.
Old 2009-04-17, 22:24   Link #307
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
The story has hardly been setup, everything up to date is more of less an introductory episode into the world of shangrila. Carbon trading, political or environmentalism are only the theme pertaining the world of shangrila I don't think their importance will excel much after episode 3 as I suspect the fantasy/mystical elements of the show to be the main dish.

While Mikuni is depicted as royal with special power it makes you think that mankind has undergoes an evolution change in the world of Shangrila allow some inhabitant’s abilities surpassing normal human. Lastly two things stand in mind the god of Altas and the supposedly unidentified artillery in the forest.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 03:32   Link #308
DangerMouse

Totally agree BrokenWingz, and we are definitely still in the introductory phase.

More info:

Ash Falls Town, who posted earlier saying that the show would be at least 24 episodes long, looks to have been right There's now a second source that this show will not be a short one and will indeed be at least a full 24 episodes.

CDJapan just updated their store with Shangri-La DVD releases (Regular and Limited Edition) and lists 12 volumes with 2-episodes each.

YES! Much greater chance of the show's scope being as big as I hope.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-19 at 02:41.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 12:21   Link #309
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Gonna watch the second episode tomorrow but gah I need a terminology briefing. I'm a biologist by education but some of the terms they use just go over my head. Anyone more familiar with the story care to explain to me the following?

Carbon credits
Carbon tax
Carbon debt etc.

AFAIK, it seems more like a movement against an Authoritarian control to pollution production than pro-pollution per se, as the protagonists seem to imply that while they do understand the polluting implications they are actually against the ultra-restrictive control on emissions and, more importantly, the use of carbon emission as a form of currency.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 13:14   Link #310
Nosauz

carbon credits are stuff that you did to offset the carbon you as an individual contributed to the system, carbon debt is how much u have produced in carbon that has yet been to "offset" carbon tax is a tax based on how much carbon you offset, basically its a economic incentive to offset carbon, at least thats what they are when discussed in environmental science and not the show, i'll check this out when i actually get some time away from school

disclaimer i haven't seen the show yet thats why i added the possiblity that the show may vary, but thats how carbon offsets and the whole notion of carbon "burden" works in environmental science

Last edited by Nosauz; 2009-04-19 at 17:12.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 15:21   Link #311
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
carbon credits are stuff that you did to offset the carbon you as an individual contributed to the system, carbon debt is how much u have produced in carbon that has yet been to "offset" carbon tax is a tax based on how much carbon you offset, basically its a economic incentive to offset carbon, at least thats what they are when discussed in environmental science and not the show, i'll check this out when i actually get some time away from school
If this isn't how it's working in the show it's very similar in application to my understanding. They have a unit measurement and put a monetary number per unit depending on the volume exceeding the credits. Also from what I understand from the anime setting is that each country can't actively measure these levels themselves making them "imaginary numbers" that obvious antagonists are taking advantage of in a similar fashion as how money is being handled now (if that makes any sense).
Old 2009-04-19, 21:18   Link #312
BrokenWingz

Note* watch the ED for episode 3.

Add thoughts laters*
Old 2009-04-19, 21:25   Link #313
DangerMouse

Another very good episode that continues to expand on everything and slowly tease out some very interesting hints/laying the groundwork, I definitely think this show could have a killer second half for some epic science fiction.
Spoiler:
It also brings one of the main themes to the forefront in Kuniko's mind for the first time when she first hand experiences how massive Atlas is compared to her tiny hometown and how it could easily support more people.

The character art and animation was back up and very good.
Old 2009-04-19, 21:55   Link #314
BrokenWingz

I'm surprise we get a new ED song ^^, maybe theres a new for each arc. Overall an enjoyable episode with a twist. It's hard to believe that anyone thought metal age is an environmental friendly group its focus seems to be promoting the old era of life rather nature itself.

Spoiler for episode 3 thoughts:
Old 2009-04-19, 22:32   Link #315
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The character art and animation was back up and very good.
Really? I don't usually notice those things unless it's an extreme change.

But I thought episode 3 art was really degraded, especially Kuniko. In the action scenes I thought the characters almost looked like wooden stick figures on strings.

I have been watching really high quality stuff this week like Higashi no Eden and SkyCrawler and I thought maybe I was just spoiled. So I went back and rewatched episode 2 for comparison and indeed I thought the episode 2 art was just fine.

Also I thought that Kuniko rather than growing as a character had lost about 10 years of mental age and 50 IQ points. She went from a confident, bright, and active young leader to a dull, confused, chocolate-eating sluggard, wandering around in a daze.

She went from blowing up tanks with her boomerang while doing flips to throwing a chunk of metal into a wall and running away.

Maybe all the Gonzo and transsexual bashing is getting to me?
Old 2009-04-19, 22:36   Link #316
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
I'm surprise we get a new ED song ^^, maybe theres a new for each arc. Overall an enjoyable episode with a twist. It's hard to believe that anyone thought metal age is an environmental friendly group its focus seems to be promoting the old era of life rather nature itself.

Episode thoughts
Nice thoughts on the ep.

Agreed, I'm not sure what show they've been watching, but this episode should further clarify it for them. There was also an interesting reference that Metal Age has more members than just this small group that we've been following, in other cities.

The new ED song was a great fit for the end of this ep. And it so reminds of that misty Last Exile ending song.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:02   Link #317
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post

But I thought episode 3 art was really degraded, especially Kuniko. In the action scenes I thought the characters almost looked like wooden stick figures on strings.
In my opinion I disagree, this episode looked great. The action scenes looked fine to me and there was only one Kuniko action scene where she threw together a weapon from the nearest pole and I thought that was nicely animated and in most of the other scenes Kuniko looked really good so I didn't see any downgrade in episode 3,
Spoiler:
, the rest of the action was mainly running which looked fine. The closeups of the characters were nice and sharp and the shadow shading detail/adding depth was great like in the first episode, the episode was great to watch like the last two.

Quote:
I have been watching really high quality stuff this week like Higashi no Eden and SkyCrawler and I thought maybe I was just spoiled. So I went back and rewatched episode 2 for comparison and indeed I thought the episode 2 art was just fine.
Agreed I thought the episode 2 art was fine as well, but some complained that the character art was slightly fluctuating throughout the ep on some of the faces, this ep was pretty sharply refined in my opinion with more depth to the shadows and more detail in the hair such on the characters closeup like in the first episode. I thought episode 2's art was fine and episode 3's art was even better. The backgrounds are still simply stunning to look at.

I think you read my post completely wrong and thought I was bashing Gonzo for episode 2, however if you'll look back I thought episode 2 looked totally fine... and I've been backing Gonzo and this show from the beginning.

Quote:
Also I thought that Kuniko rather than growing as a character had lost about 10 years of mental age and 50 IQ points. She went from a confident, bright, and active young leader to a dull, confused, chocolate-eating sluggard, wandering around in a daze.
I disagree, she's continuing to grow from where she was in episode 1, she's hardly confused she's facing the fact that her group's actions have indirectly caused hardship to some of the townspeople who don't want to fight for equality due to their own experiences and reasons and things those people have had to go through, despite the fact that she considers herself as fighting for them from the very beginning. I might have agreed that she was losing some of her confidence/activeness/edge but the fact that she acts right after this by wanting to learn more about everything including Atlas and take an active role is no regression. I'm not sure where you got the rest from.

Quote:
She went from blowing up tanks with her boomerang while doing flips to throwing a chunk of metal into a wall and running away.
She wouldn't have run away in episode 2 if they weren't wearing those suits that basically makes her fighting abilities useless since she couldn't move around in it and could only take it off for a short period of time. And in episode 3 they are smack dab in the middle of high-tech enemy territory and barely past the entrance, were they not supposed to run?

Uhh, I think you need to watch the episode 3 scene again...
Spoiler:

Quote:
Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about, I've BACKING Gonzo and this show from the moment this thread started.... and posted that episode 3 was great, and pre-empting any dumb comments that the animation wasn't good this time either because ep3 was quite well done. Maybe I read your post wrong but yours was the one with the complaints...

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-20 at 02:23.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:02   Link #318
BrokenWingz

Quote:

Confusing Kuniko with the OP animation? She hasn't blown up a tank yet. To be fair she has yet to take up the roll of leadership or even actively seeking it. In episode 3/2/1 you see how she's playful she is amongst her friends which consists of young people around her age. That itself tells you she's more of a child than a supposedly leader and her behavior is that of normal child.

Kuniko changes are met with external changes happening to her life. I don’t remember how much time she spent in detention but to consider the possibility of a shelter or naïve life isn’t out of the question. Only until the recent episode has the cruelty of mankinds creep up upon the realization of her surroundings. To be confused isn’t farfetched to say at least, a few quote tells us she’s hasn’t know much about life outside.

“that’s Doumo”
“It’s small, It’s small”

To believe Kuniko is cheerful as a result of perceptive thoughts that everyone is happy isn’t a thoughtless analogy. To understand there’s a difference creates confusion within one self this would apply to many of us.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:28   Link #319
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
Confusing Kuniko with the OP animation? She hasn't blown up a tank yet. To be fair she has yet to take up the roll of leadership or even actively seeking it. In episode 3/2/1 you see how she's playful she is amongst her friends which consists of young people around her age. That itself tells you she's more of a child than a supposedly leader and her behavior is that of normal child.

Kuniko changes are met with external changes happening to her life. I don’t remember how much time she spent in detention but to consider the possibility of a shelter or naïve life isn’t out of the question. Only until the recent episode has the cruelty of mankinds creep up upon the realization of her surroundings. To be confused isn’t farfetched to say at least, a few quote tells us she’s hasn’t know much about life outside.

“that’s Doumo”
“It’s small, It’s small”

To believe Kuniko is cheerful as a result of perceptive thoughts that everyone is happy isn’t a thoughtless analogy. To understand there’s a difference creates confusion within one self this would apply to many of us.
Totally agree.

And wonderfully, she even recognizes herself as being naive during the conversation where she's got the chocolate and reflects back on life in the detention center and life previously in Duomo. And her reaction to it was good growth building off of her character in episode one and two, she stops hesitating and decides she wants to see more of the world/situation and Atlas with her own eyes.

And the entire scene of them handing out the supplies and Kuniko's reactions there were well done.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-20 at 00:25.
Old 2009-04-20, 00:32   Link #320
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about, I've BACKING Gonzo and this show from the moment this thread started....
I certainly didn't mean you personally. Perhaps I should have clarified that I meant ...'on the thread'. It's just that in reviewing the thread, I was left with an impression of expressed disrespect for Gonzo and distaste for the genderbending and wondered if this may have influenced my perceptions of this episode.

I appreciate your very articulate response.

Tags
gonzo, science fiction