AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-03-18, 15:37   Link #361
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Lol, it's completely different then, since there is no other vampire family in the anime.

Anyways, finished watching Vampire Knight, and it probably was what i actually expected from a vampire/romance story. However, the girl, Yuki, really got on my balls (probably because i was rooting for that poor disgrace of Zero)
Spoiler for end:

I hoped it evolved according to my plan, but it kinda deviated from the first idea i had. However, graphic wise it was good, there was some action and romance(even tho Yuki pissed me off). It was only centered in that vampire accademy, so there wasn't much change of scenario, but it was ok. Probably i'd rate it 9+, if it wasn't that i didn't really like much the end, and that the female lead got on my balls.

After this tunnel visioned series, i think i'll seriously pick up again FLCL haha. I need something random to relax out, so i guess that'll do the job.

EDIT
Ok, i joked on the last one: tried the 2nd episode, but i don't like the artwork and the animation: it's all caricatures, and the girl's voices resemble those of an old woman.

I'll start reading Deadman wonderland

EDIT2
Joking: i already don't like the setting. What's up with all these stories starting with "After the war that deleted 50% of the world" "After the earthquake that cut the earth in 4 pieces" "After the aliens invaded anything" "After the virus spread and you can live only on airships".... plus that kind of futuristic outfit... i just can't stand it.

I'm really missing Welcome to the NHK. I'll most probably watch again the whole series in some months. It was just too good (probably because it didn't give the feeling like it was aimed to teenagers but to a grown up public. This is probably the same reason why i liked Steins;Gate; it had some kind of adult-like feeling with it, while still keeping some comedy in it)

I'll read Boku wa tomodachi novel to kill the time. See you next week, when i get back from uni.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-03-18 at 16:23.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:10   Link #362
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

if you keep dropping titles for small reasons you are not going to have many things to watch.If I remember correctly at first you didn't like kannagi because of the girls hair then you changed your mind.How far did you get in deadman wonderland anyway?
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:22   Link #363
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

The first 8 pages lol. No really, what actually drove me away was the picture on the main page, with that girl in a futuristic/alienish suit, and the fact that the story was settled in a sort of post-disastered Tokyo. Small reasons indeed. I might pick it up again, but i need to be motivated a bit :/ Is it really that close to Mirai Nikki type of action/mindfuck/romance?

Kannagi's issue was slightly different: i had only seen one screenshot, and it gave me the feeling of an old fashioned anime, with ugly artwork, and so i didn't even bother watching the first episode. After the first episode i had to change my mind tho, since the animation was smooth and actually loveable, and the hairstyle wasn't ugly as i thought it would be. Ended up loving it.

Anyways, i'll read some other chapter of Boku wa tomodachi, and then go bed.
Old 2012-03-18, 17:42   Link #364
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Watch Nodame Cantabile.

Main girl looks like this though;

edit: Or read, if you are ok with manga. I've only read the manga and it's pretty amazing. I've seen a few eps of the anime that was pretty good as well, but I can't properly comment on the quality since I haven't seen everything.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:44   Link #365
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

both DMW and MN share their similarities and differences. who wants to read something that's exactly same? it's a good thing you only saw the main page because this manga is going to have its twists and turns.If I didn't tell you to be patient with karin would you have dropped it as well? when I watch anime I usually watch 4 or 5 episodes before I decide to keep/drop it.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:03   Link #366
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I usually make sure to watch at least 6 episodes (that usually corresponds to half 1cour series) before dropping a title, unless i'm deeply annoyed by some feature (Like the artwork, or the setting, or the slooooooooooooow pace or the goddamn silent and boring atmosphere that makes you fall asleep). In Karin's case, i was a bit bothered by the artwork, because Karin had rhomboidal eyes, rhomboidal (diagonally cut) hairs, and Usui had weird crazy eyes. Same goes for FLCL, but the latter was overall annoying (ugly graphic, bad voiced girls, random plot, too much nonsense...). In Gift - Eternal rainbow's case, the slow pace, the whole atmosphere, and that kind of artwork that i'm lately hating, made me drop it after 2 episodes. The plot was also.... bah.

Next week i planned on watching Death Note, even tho
Spoiler for end:

After it i'll pick up DMW again.

EDIT
AS far as Nodame Cantabile is concerned, i previously stated (not blaming you for not having caught it; there are too many pages, i understand it) that i don't like animes involving music or sports. Also, as far as i know, it's a shoujo and i don't like when the girl is the protagonist.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:04   Link #367
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

if you really enjoyed mirai nikki try big order both are from the same author.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:17   Link #368
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I just saw the main cover, and it obviously reminded me of Mirai Nikki. Taking into account that the author still deals with the "wish" or whatever issue, and that his mind is messed up, i'm most likely going to enjoy it.

On the other side, are there only 6 chapters out? D:

Did this guy write any other shocking title, beside these two, ?
Old 2012-03-18, 18:27   Link #369
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
EDIT
AS far as Nodame Cantabile is concerned, i previously stated (not blaming you for not having caught it; there are too many pages, i understand it) that i don't like animes involving music or sports. Also, as far as i know, it's a shoujo and i don't like when the girl is the protagonist.
It's josei. It really isn't the sparkly type of anime you are thinking of. The guy gets as much screen time as the girl. The guy is smart and straight to the point. While it is indeed about music, it's a lot about human interaction and comedy. Seeing how many series you watched and that you are planning to watch Special A. The guy fits the profile you want further more the romance pretty much goes through all stages, so things don't drag.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 08:48   Link #370
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
It's josei. It really isn't the sparkly type of anime you are thinking of. The guy gets as much screen time as the girl. The guy is smart and straight to the point. While it is indeed about music, it's a lot about human interaction and comedy. Seeing how many series you watched and that you are planning to watch Special A. The guy fits the profile you want further more the romance pretty much goes through all stages, so things don't drag.
For Classified Info who doesn't know about josei, it's a anime/manga demographic geared towards older females (15-30) : the romance is depicted more realistically and has more mature themes, as oppposed to shoujo. Nodame Cantabile is part of this genre.

Meanwhile, I just want you to look at The Sacred Blacksmith (I even written one more hint about the show in your profile's messages) and go back to White Album (has romance and drama as primary things and has music as a background, but you need to bear some inconsistencies about the show), but only if there's nothing left to watch.

EDIT : I have a question concerning Hayate the Combat Butler's content : The beginning is rather comedic, but as the story progresses (around episode 26 ; the anime has 52 episodes followed by a 26-episode sequel and a movie), the romance seriously starts to develop with some action and drama. Also, the comedy level isn't as above as School Rumble (but still medium-high), so the relationships slowly develops instead of staying the same throughout the whole story. Because of that, this looks more similar to KimiAru than School Rumble.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-03-19 at 13:49.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 10:55   Link #371
Undertaker

Haven't been in this thread for a while.

If I remember correctly CI simply doesn't want female protagonist as he can't sub into the male role. So whether Nodame is shojo or josei really doesn't matter to him 'cause he's not gonna touch it.

As far as I know Kaicho wa Maid-sama was the only one he even tried.

Anyway, CI, looking through the list, have you watched I"s Pure?

It's based on an 90s' classic manga but didn't get anime adapted until 2006 so the graphic should still be OK for you. It's 6 episode OVA that keep the story short and to the point. and it you like it, you can read the manga to get the detail on the list.

I just remember about is in another thread about 90's romance series where most the the shonen/seinen romance never got a chance to get adapted due to the period.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:59   Link #372
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I still think you should try Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 12:21   Link #373
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
EDIT : I have a question concerning Hayate the Combat Butler's content : The beginning is rather comedic, but as the story progresses (around episode 26 ; the anime has 52 episodes followed by a 26-episode sequel and a movie), the romance seriously starts to develop with some action and drama. Also, the comedy level isn't as above as School Rumble (but still medium-high), so the relationships slowly develops instead of staying the same throughout the whole story. Because of that, this looks more similar to KimiAru than School Rumble.
To answer your question:
So far, Hayate (at least in the original manga) only have + 3 arcs dedicated for romance which is very minor compared to the overall chapters (it’s like 15-20% of the overall story). The rest of the chapters are dedicated for pure comedy with (sometimes) little chara development thrown here and there. I do love Hayate (especially the manga), but if you want romance from it, I suggest you to watch/read the Athena/Greece Arc only. That's the best romance you can get from it (so far).
Old 2012-03-20, 14:46   Link #374
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
If I remember correctly CI simply doesn't want female protagonist as he can't sub into the male role.
Wouldn't you mind that I would want CI to seriously watch The Sacred Blacksmith ? I said that in my many posts, especially the fact that this anime is targeted to his audience, with some fanservice, some good romance and action scenes with Zero no Tsukaima vibes, and the story is focused on a female knight who pairs with the badass (male) blacksmith with pretty face. Other than that, I would promise him to try this one when there's nothing left to watch, alongside White Album.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-20, 21:11   Link #375
Undertaker

He hasn't watch that yet?

If that's the case, I'll second it.

It's not really fan-service heavy, but should have many of what he looks for.

And to add something for Hayate. The comedy type is also different from School Rumble. School Rumble 's comedy is more of a slapstick comedy bunch visual/physical exaggeration. While Hayate's comedy is more based on Manzai comedy that is more in tune with the style in Gintama and SKET Dance.

As for romance, I personally think there are more of them than School Rumble. It has a more consistent flow of romantic hints and one-side love. The difference being that in School Rumble the POV put you mostly on the giveing end while in Hayate you POV is from the receiving end.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2012-03-20 at 21:37.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 10:55   Link #376
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I'm just passing by, so i'll take the chance to clarify some things (I'm sorry if i could answer before, but during the week i'm at university, and there i haven't got my laptop, so i usually have to wait for friday to get to my computer and keep you up to date)

Anyways, as undertaker said, the biggest issue is character subbing: when i watch an anime i like to sub in the protagonist and follow his "adventures" and eventually feel what he feels. I can't do that if the protagonist is a girl, for obvious reasons.

The only animes I watched that had a girl as protagonist have been:
Kaicho wa maid sama (It provided very good romance, and the guy was given some screen, but it was a bit too unreal, and i felt like it was seriously aimed towards girls, since the latter would find awesome to fall for such perfect guy. Beside that, another downside was how characters were often portrayed in their chibi figures. I hate that)
Fight ippatsu! Juuden chan (This was actually funny and the fanservice was really huge to keep it up. The guy was cool, and i could easily sub in him even if he wasn't the protagonist. Beside that, Plug was funny and often generous in showing her boobs, and the anime was generally light and relaxing)
Karin (The anime didn't really give much space to Usui, and as far as i could understand, the manga differs way too much from the anime, so i'll take that the anime wasn't such a good adaption. Anyways, i was really fine with the plot, and generally liked this title because it was slice of life, relaxing, had some comedy and romance; the main downside here wasn't Karin, but the graphic: Karin had rhomboidal eyes/hairs, and Usui had weird eyes)

Now, i didn't want to throw myself in the 52 episodes of Hayate because i would have probably gotten tired of waiting such big number of episodes to get some little romance. This is always because i do not expect much of this anime in terms of comedy: titles like Haruhi suzumiya or Boku wa tomodachi can play with comedy how much time they want, while keeping romance at a minimum, but i will always love them for the graphic, the plot, the comedy and the characters, that's it. I found them simply good, so even tho they develop the romance really slowly, it doesn't matter to me, because those series were awesome. If you think that i could enjoy Hayate at the level of those two titles, then i might give it a try, otherwise i'll just look for another title more focused on romance.

As far as The sacred blacksmith goes, what really troubles me is the "horrible ending". I'm not watching it because i got warned on the ending. Really, i could even love the whole series but then get disappointed in the ending, and that disappointment is usually huge. An example is Gosick: i loved the whole series really much, but after episode 20 or so, things started getting a bit boring/dark and i got disappointed. Same goes for Vampire Knight: i liked the story and the romance, but the disappointment for the ending had no limits (i seriously get mad when things don't go my way, haha, that's my bad, i should learn to bear other endings).

Since my disappointment usually is heavier than the entertainment factor, i tend to avoid titles that i could love but have an horrid ending, because i would get even more mad (if it's a bad anime that has a bad ending, i don't really care, but if it's a good anime that ends in an horrible way, i'll eventually come to dislike it)

I remember i had already put Neon genesis evangelion on my list; i'll check the first post and eventually edit it.

As far as It's pure is concerned, i probably skipped it because it was made of few episodes and i didn't really bother checking it out. I'll make sure to watch it, since i actually loved animes like Amagami, where each arc only lasted 4 episodes.

Tomorrow i have uni again, so i'll check your posts tonight or friday. The planned title for this week is Death Note
Old 2012-03-21, 11:00   Link #377
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
As far as The sacred blacksmith goes, what really troubles me is the "horrible ending". I'm not watching it because i got warned on the ending. Really, i could even love the whole series but then get disappointed in the ending, and that disappointment is usually huge. An example is Gosick: i loved the whole series really much, but after episode 20 or so, things started getting a bit boring/dark and i got disappointed. Same goes for Vampire Knight: i liked the story and the romance, but the disappointment for the ending had no limits (i seriously get mad when things don't go my way, haha, that's my bad, i should learn to bear other endings).

Since my disappointment usually is heavier than the entertainment factor, i tend to avoid titles that i could love but have an horrid ending, because i would get even more mad (if it's a bad anime that has a bad ending, i don't really care, but if it's a good anime that ends in an horrible way, i'll eventually come to dislike it)
To make simple, Blacksmith's ending is less dissapointing than Gosick and Vampire Knight. If you would watch that, don't expect too much otherwise you might eventually be dissapointed, so you must keep your hypes of that series low.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-03-21 at 12:49.
Old 2012-03-21, 18:21   Link #378
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Since it was short, tonight i watched and finished I''s pure and i found it very similar to Amagami SS, and therefore i really liked it. The protagonist was even similar, and the story was longer than any of amagami's arcs, so it was really fine. Ye, there wasn't a kiss scene, but he confessed and showed his love, and they got together, and those ecchi specials made up for the missing kiss scene, haha. I'll rate it like i did for Amagami, so there it goes a 9.5.

I wish i could find more of these animes. So far, I''s pure is the most similar anime to Amagami SS, which was the title fitting my requirements the most. The only downside was that every arc was only 4 episodes, but beside that, the stories were exactly what i was looking for: everyday's life, settled at school and dealing with the relationship between a boy and a girl. I'd like to remind you that the main reason i started watching animes was because they reminded me much of my school days, that i was missing, and therefore animes like this are perfect.

Tomorrow i have uni, i'll get back friday and go for Death Note. Thank you for suggesting me this title, it was definitely ok. You are free to suggest any title, even if it's only made of few episodes, as long as they are like this.
Old 2012-03-21, 18:59   Link #379
Undertaker

Quote:
Since it was short, tonight i watched and finished I''s pure and i found it very similar to Amagami SS, and therefore i really liked it. The protagonist was even similar, and the story was longer than any of amagami's arcs, so it was really fine. Ye, there wasn't a kiss scene, but he confessed and showed his love, and they got together, and those ecchi specials made up for the missing kiss scene, haha. I'll rate it like i did for Amagami, so there it goes a 9.5.

I wish i could find more of these animes. So far, I''s pure is the most similar anime to Amagami SS, which was the title fitting my requirements the most. The only downside was that every arc was only 4 episodes, but beside that, the stories were exactly what i was looking for: everyday's life, settled at school and dealing with the relationship between a boy and a girl. I'd like to remind you that the main reason i started watching animes was because they reminded me much of my school days, that i was missing, and therefore animes like this are perfect.

Tomorrow i have uni, i'll get back friday and go for Death Note. Thank you for suggesting me this title, it was definitely ok. You are free to suggest any title, even if it's only made of few episodes, as long as they are like this.

You should also give manga a shot as well.

Like I said, the manga was one of the best selling series in the 90s. The reason it wasn't adapted into anime was because back then there weren't as many TV timeslots for dedicated to anime, especially late night and Shonen type romance usually takes back seat just like Shojo type action.

Because of that the I"s Pure is basically a condensed, simplified version the original manga.

I see that you also checked out Denpa Onna and Working and liked them. I'll see wha else I can think off
Old 2012-03-22, 15:39   Link #380
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

Here is another title for you classied it's called toki wo kakeru shoujo.I know you mentioned you didn't want a girl as a protagonist but since you seem to be really into the Idea of time traveling i thought maybe you would like it.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2236/Toki_wo_Kakeru_Shoujo

if you are looking for something different and unique in romance manga try Iris Zero
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=22044
try reading deoxys review

last episode for highschool dxd is this friday and last episode of ano natsu de matteru is monday of next week

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2012-03-23 at 00:47.