AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-29, 01:21   Link #1
skylion

Magical Shopping District Abenobashi

I didn't get a chance to see this series (if it was ever available as a torrent). But NewTypeUSA magazine has a special DVD tipped in. Contains the first episode of the series release in english.
I busted a gut. The characters are endearing, the dialouge is fresh and original, and it holds alot of promise for a great series.

The english dub is well......you have to hear it. I love the approach. Just my two cents. I think fans are either going to love it or hate it.
skylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 06:17   Link #2
Lambda

The first episode is very different to the next five. Which are very different to the seventh. And which is where I got up to. (Not due to not wanting to follow it any more, but non-availability of fansubs.) Generally, it's very risky to judge anything Gainax from one episode.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 12:54   Link #3
moonglaive
Inactive Member

Yay! I'm glad to hear that. Greg Ayers said the DVD is supposed to be out REAL soon to buy, and I've been waiting and waiting and waiting....
moonglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 04:46   Link #4
skylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonglaive
Yay! I'm glad to hear that. Greg Ayers said the DVD is supposed to be out REAL soon to buy, and I've been waiting and waiting and waiting....
I told my friend how excited I was about it coming out. He told me not too make any plans to buy it. Or the Season Five Buffy Box. I smell Christmas here.
skylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 10:40   Link #5
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Ooo, a preview episode, hmmm? Abeno was a fantastic parody series, and kept in the same vein of humour until the end. There was also something in it that reminded me vaguely of FLCL, I think it was the charcater design, and perhaps that recognisable Gainax touch. I love their work, and I'll probably be picking this title up, assuming ADV have done their job.

Hopefully this means we'll be seeing the DVDs soon, and AnimeOnDVD have it listed as having a December release.
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 11:12   Link #6
drexel
Drexel U

The first DVD/DVD+box comes out on December 16th. You can get the box at Deep discount dvd for $23.99. This series really looks interesting. after seeing the first episode i can't wait to see the rest.
drexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 00:10   Link #7
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
So I have borrowed all four DVD's of Magical Shopping District Abenobashi from a friend who goes to school with me. I'm up to episode eight about five minutes in. So here's my question, can anyone tell me who some of the dating-sim girls are? Most of them are semi-familiar, I've reconized two of the girls from 'Pia Carrot DX' (Azusa and Tsukasa, although not exactly the same. (Different hair colours and Azusa's hair is up.)) Anyone else catch any?
Paper Lilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 11:16   Link #8
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Turn on the (I call them the Menchi notes). It's one of the subtitle options. They explain that game and where it came from.

I loved this show, It was one of my first though and I turned it off the first time because I couldn't figure out why everyone had a texan accent. (Now I know....Kansai!)

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 14:24   Link #9
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
Thanks! That's alot of help.
Paper Lilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 12:04   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's one from the archives - Gainax is coming out with a special episode of Abenobashi. It'll be kinda nice to see these guys again, but I wonder what was urgent enough to dredge these characters up after 7 years?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 12:29   Link #11
Ihadurca

Will it have a story from the Manga version?
Ihadurca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 18:23   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't know that detail - it was just an announcement that came out of Fanime.

Now, can we get someone to give us a real ending for Mahoromatic, please?
Old 2009-05-26, 06:52   Link #13
KimmyChan

This series looks like a lot of fun & is definately one I'll have to check out very soon
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 16:00   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyChan View Post
This series looks like a lot of fun & is definately one I'll have to check out very soon
It is a lot of fun - uneven, but that's to be expected since it basically parodies a different genre with every ep. It's pure Gainax -raunchy, slapstick, sometimes very smart. Not their best work, but a worthwhile venture.
Old 2009-05-26, 22:14   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I enjoyed the historical parts as much as the parodies. This was one of the first shows I ever watched since it was being telecast on ADV's Anime Channel a few years ago. Smart and funny, with real depth of character, which few series seem able to pull off. I was a bit puzzled at the ending; maybe the follow-up episode will sort some things out.

ANN has this press release on the special: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ee-diving-work

Ayumi is pretty stunning in the film-noir episode.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-05-27 at 00:22.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 00:06   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm interested in seeing if the kids are older, or it picks up more or less after the anime left off. Maybe we'll get a "Shounen Onmyouji" crossover...
Old 2009-05-28, 09:06   Link #17
KimmyChan

I know that the DVD box set of this series has finally been released over here now
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 11:12   Link #18
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
YET ANOTHER ONE OF THEM REVIEWS

Spoiler for Press to open the path to your doom:

Last edited by roriconfan; 2011-02-13 at 05:00.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 12:11   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Abenobashi was one of the first anime shows I watched because it was available as part of then-ADV's on-demand service that came with my cable television package. Even though I was obviously not a "seasoned otaku," I still enjoyed the parodies because many of them are based on well-known film or gaming genres. Probably the only episode for which I had no prior referent was the visual novel parody, but most of the other episodes made perfect sense.

Of course, I didn't know who Abe no Seimei was at that point. Even though he's a recurring character in anime, he's probably still not very well-known among Western anime viewers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gainax