Old 2008-06-10, 19:03   Link #1001
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardox View Post
OK, now I'm seriously missing Aria...

Can anyone suggest a "surrogate"?
There was a similar request at MAL's ARIA Fanclub.

EDIT:
Spoiler:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2008-06-11 at 03:07.
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 19:07   Link #1002
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:

My first suggestion, if you haven't already seen them, are the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō OAVs (the later 2 by Sony are better than the first two, but all four are enjoyable). Of course I'm such a big YKK fan you might want to take that with a bit of salt

Other good series would be Sketchbook Full Colour and Hidimari Sketch. Of course you could also go with Azumanga Daioh, but that's a little bit of a stretch...

My .02 worth.
Old 2008-06-11, 14:49   Link #1003
ricardox

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
There was a similar request at MAL's ARIA Fanclub.

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Thanks for the suggestions.
ricardox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 15:06   Link #1004
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Keep in mind that Haibane Renmei has a lot of dramatic elements mixed in. It has an actual plot, unlike ARIA. I wouldn't lump them in the same category. Still, it's a very recommendable watch, definitely one of my favorite series.

Oh, and I definitely do not consider Lucky Star to be slice of life. More like an assortment of gags without the sense of stillness and continuity slice of life needs. For 4-koma comedic purposes with a slice of life feeling to it, Azumanga Daioh is ages beyond what Lucky Star tried to accomplish.

(By the way, what's up with the "drama" tag down below?)

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 15:57   Link #1005
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Keep in mind that Haibane Renmei has a lot of dramatic elements mixed in. It has an actual plot, unlike ARIA. I wouldn't lump them in the same category. Still, it's a very recommendable watch, definitely one of my favorite series.
I wouldn't say that Aria doesn't have an a actual plot. It's quite simple, vague and less prominent than usual and isn't really advanced in every episode but I thought it was there. Akari trying to become part of the Neo-Venezian community and all of the girls aspiring to become primas. Not comparable though to something like Haibane Renmei that has a clear plot that is rather to the point.

I think Aria and the beginning of the Haibane Renmei are somewhat similar but unlike Aria, Haibane Renmei gets really serious and dramatic towards the end.

Definitely worth watching, but it's not really a feel-good series all the way through.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 16:35   Link #1006
X10A_Freedom

I watched 2 eps of Sketchbook and there are times when I get an Aria-esque feeling. Afterall, it's made by the same people!
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 16:57   Link #1007
nojay
Scanlator

Comparisons of Aria with other anime series...

A girl descends from the sky into a nurturing community composed entirely of females where she has to learn everything anew. Her environs are strictly limited and she has to grow and develop under the watchful eye of an all-powerful organisation while being marked out in appearance from the other inhabitants of the local conurbation which uses windmills for power generation. She is employed rowing on a canal, and finally she earns a new name amidst emotional trauma and the loss of her beloved mentor.

OK, what series have I just described?

Aria or
Spoiler for another series...:
?
Old 2008-06-11, 19:06   Link #1008
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
(By the way, what's up with the "drama" tag down below?)
Besides that, Comic Blade is supposedly a shounen magazine. But then again, I'm not sure either if the demographic category automatically carries over to the anime adaptations.

@nojay: Two birds with one stone.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2008-06-11, 22:37   Link #1009
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Besides that, Comic Blade is supposedly a shounen magazine. But then again, I'm not sure either if the demographic category automatically carries over to the anime adaptations.
Fixed the drama tag, but I think I'd be a little hard pressed to call the anime a "shounen" work. That being said, you are right that Comic Blade is a shounen magazine, and I guess the manga isn't all that different from the anime. So... shounen it is?
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 23:00   Link #1010
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

in its purest form, ARIA has nothing thats like it. there are other slice of life shows which are great in their own respects, but they're different from the way ARIA presented and executed its main characteristics.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 02:56   Link #1011
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Fixed the drama tag, but I think I'd be a little hard pressed to call the anime a "shounen" work. That being said, you are right that Comic Blade is a shounen magazine, and I guess the manga isn't all that different from the anime. So... shounen it is?
Technically correct but possibly misleading. Perhaps it would be best to leave the demographic classification out of the tags for ARIA-related threads. It seems to be a matter of taste rather than age or gender anyway.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2008-06-12, 10:58   Link #1012
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Comparisons of Aria with other anime series...

A girl descends from the sky into a nurturing community composed entirely of females where she has to learn everything anew. Her environs are strictly limited and she has to grow and develop under the watchful eye of an all-powerful organisation while being marked out in appearance from the other inhabitants of the local conurbation which uses windmills for power generation. She is employed rowing on a canal, and finally she earns a new name amidst emotional trauma and the loss of her beloved mentor.

OK, what series have I just described?

Aria or
Spoiler for another series...:
?
Well... I really wouldn't say Aria and Haibane Renmei are on the same tone. Yes, it's easy to find that sort of correlations, but let's simply say that HR deals with very, very different issues--and psychological traumas are much more heavier and darker.

Personally, I loved Haibane, but I'd never recommend it for people who want another Aria--I'd recommend it in general, anyways.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 23:50   Link #1013
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Technically correct but possibly misleading. Perhaps it would be best to leave the demographic classification out of the tags for ARIA-related threads. It seems to be a matter of taste rather than age or gender anyway.
I'd have to agree here. Aria doesn't really seem like it's targeted at any particular demographic. It's the kind of series I'd recommend to anyone with enough attention span to watch something relaxing instead of an action series.
Old 2008-06-14, 21:12   Link #1014
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:

Well, there's the Hidamari Sketch manga and S.S. ASTRO manga that I'm using to tie me over until the Animation hits stateside. The latter is very interesting, so I recommend it.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 11:26   Link #1015
Tabris

Aria the Origination related goodness

Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 13:46   Link #1016
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Aria the Origination related goodness

Ah, do you have images of the stuff that comes with the Origination ps2 game?
Old 2008-06-25, 20:29   Link #1017
Tabris

It comes out today, so I'll be buying it when I go to Akihabara later on.

Edit:

So, I went to the store today, and they said they were out of stock for people who hadn't reserved it. Luckily, Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara had it in, so I got it from there, for 1000yen cheaper too. Which isn't much, but at least I have it now. Expensive for a PS2 game though, £60. Totally worth it for the SD figures and OST alone

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-06-26 at 06:19.
Old 2008-06-26, 09:57   Link #1018
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
It comes out today, so I'll be buying it when I go to Akihabara later on.

Edit:

So, I went to the store today, and they said they were out of stock for people who hadn't reserved it. Luckily, Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara had it in, so I got it from there, for 1000yen cheaper too. Which isn't much, but at least I have it now. Expensive for a PS2 game though, £60. Totally worth it for the SD figures and OST alone
Egad, you're in moonland. I'm stuck buying the non-special edition ;_;.
Here's hoping the OST hits eBay and this one gets an artbook like the first PS2 game.
Old 2008-06-26, 11:26   Link #1019
Tabris

No artbook with the game. Just the OST, a drama CD and 6 SD figures.

I got two of the three Aria artbooks today too. I was only going to buy one, but I didn't think I was going to get the special edition game...so I bought two. I've spent so much on Aria this holiday, it's almost untrue. Totally worth it though.
Old 2008-06-26, 12:02   Link #1020
KrebMarkt
Never do well

Quote:
No artbook with the game. Just the OST, a drama CD and 6 SD figures.

I got two of the three Aria artbooks today too. I was only going to buy one, but I didn't think I was going to get the special edition game...so I bought two. I've spent so much on Aria this holiday, it's almost untrue. Totally worth it though.
You mean the OST of the game + 1 Exclusive drama CD.
I had to update Aria manga wikipedia page with your information.

It's hard to catch up with the tons of Aria related goodies released especially if you don't know japanese.
KrebMarkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hal, sci-fi, slice of life