AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-04-12, 13:58   Link #81
NaweG
Just some guy

Alpha's Cafe - Chapter 1 is up

For those of you interested in seeing the animatic/storyboard version of the "Everybody's Ships" chapter from YKK, it's now up at YouTube.

Would love to know if folks:

A) Are interested in seeing this version of these (since I can make these much faster than the fully animated version)?

B) Comments on the sound, music, etc.

Thanks!
Old 2008-04-17, 19:14   Link #82
NaweG
Just some guy

Alpha's Cafe - Chapter 2 (Dancing Alone)

Based on the chapter of the same name from YKK, Chapter 2 is now up on YouTube. As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated. This time it's in color and has a bit more of a musical score
Old 2008-04-17, 22:37   Link #83
Jiji
*Scanlator

For an amateur-produced video, I think you're doing an excellent job. Can it improve? Of course, but it's really good for a fanvid. Caitlin's voice work was good and improved from the first to the second one.

Of course, there's a ton of things that could be suggested, they only require tons of money and time and work and...

- Another voice for Makki might be fun. Caitlin did a good job expressing two different people, but a "little girl" voice would be even better.

- The lack of animation isn't a big disappointment, but what would really make it come "alive" is the addition of more layers of sound. Currently, you have two: dialogue and music. If you could find some sfx for the ocean, birds, wind, what-have-you, it'd be fantastic. I've always been impressed with Samurai Jack for that reason. They use about 8 layers of sounds in that show.

- I would suggest a song to fit Alpha's dance in the second vid. Something bouncy, with a beat of "walking step", about 80 - 100 bpm. It'd be a good comedy "beat" if it stopped suddenly when she sees the old couple and gets embarrassed. ^_^

Sooner or later, people involved in the industry are going to notice this, NaweG. I hope they offer you a job at that point! I'm liking them a lot and I hope to see as many as you can do!
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 15:48   Link #84
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
For an amateur-produced video, I think you're doing an excellent job. Can it improve? Of course, but it's really good for a fanvid. Caitlin's voice work was good and improved from the first to the second one.
Thanks for the comments. My biggest problem with adding sound effects at this point is my toolkit. I was able to upgrade from WMM to VideoSpin for the most recent chapter - which moved me from being able to mix in just one audio track to two audio tracks. However, to be able to also add in sound effects requires that I either never have all three going at the same time (possible but difficult), or I find an inexpensive video editor that can handle three audio tracks. I'll keep looking as I'd love to get more of a sense of place in these, but if anyone has some suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
Another voice for Makki might be fun. Caitlin did a good job expressing two different people, but a "little girl" voice would be even better.
Caitlin has actually worked up a pretty nice voice for her next appearance as Makki, so we'll see if that helps. Part of the problem for someone new to the series is that depending on the chapter you see Makki as fairly young, and then almost overnight she's a young adult. That's partly my fault as a director as well. But I think I'm learning

Thanks again!
Old 2008-04-22, 20:06   Link #85
glycine4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
The managa that nothing happens indeed. Nothings happens on screen, everything happens offscreen and we are left wondering.

Still I wonder with Oji-san and sensei dead, is the village dying or deserted. Also there's been no talk of the other Alphas for a while now, I wonder if they still visit her. Or she's gonna be real lonely.
First time posting here but saw one of the comments about Oji-san and Sensei.

Just for your information, and I don't know if this may be a spoiler about Doctor (sensei) and Oji-san but am wrapping in around a spoiler just in case.

Spoiler for Oji-san and Sensei:

Lastly, I just want to say, this manga is the best manga that I've ever read so far. It is amazing.
glycine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 20:20   Link #86
NaweG
Just some guy

Assuming y'all still want to be updated about these, I've just posted Chapter 3 (Hot Sand).

If you've forgotten how that particular chapter of the manga went, this one has Alpha, Makki, and Takahiro go on a trip to the beach.

Hope you enjoy!
Old 2008-05-07, 20:20   Link #87
NaweG
Just some guy

Alpha's Cafe Chapter 5 is based on the Two Cups at Opening and Maruko, Maruko chapters of YKK - ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 /Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō (quiet country cafe)/ manga by Hitoshi Ashinano. Alpha has just finished rebuilding her cafe, when she gets two surprise visitors. Fully voiced and with musical accompaniment.

This one is about 7 and a half minutes, so make sure you have some time on your hands
Old 2008-05-10, 00:31   Link #88
Ashlotte
Clockwork

So by happenstance (And maybe alittle subconcious curiosity ) I clicked on G.Zeus' siggy link the other day and figured "Well I've heard enough people mention YKK in passing and I dislike being ignorant about it so why not check it out..."

Managed to read through it over the course of a weeks nights and here I sit wondering if theres something wrong with me...Every review everywhere I read without fail gives this series glowing reviews and yet here I sit 14 volumes later throughly...unimpressed?

Eh yea I hear lynch mobs coming already heh...But yea...I don't know what else to say but it left about as much impression as half the things that I've read or seen lately which isn't really much...And yet here sits mountains of reviews making me think whats wrong with me heh.

I guess I wouldn't feel so mistaken if I didn't like YKK's genre, but its actually the complete opposite of that...Aria, Somedays dreamers, Sketchbook, H&C, and well...Ok just about every show or manga labeled SoL that I've seen/read yet i've throughly enjoyed and yet the one that seems to be so universally hailed as the pinnacle of the genre barely struck a chord with me?

Meh guess I'm just a freak...Maybe I should have read it slower or something...Probably has a completely different feel when you space it out across years of readership...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 06:51   Link #89
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Lynch mob in 3...

Spoiler:

It's understandable, I guess. Abunai of ANN once mentioned that YKK "makes more demands of its readers and viewers" than other SoL stories so some people might actually have to exert effort to like the series. My own opinion of the manga was initially pretty lukewarm too and that only changed after I came across the final volume and convinced myself to go through the series again.

Then again, maybe it's just like that thing between the Alpha types and brown sugar. YKK's fanbase seems to be composed mainly of older and/or sentimental peeps.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 11:09   Link #90
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
YKK's fanbase seems to be composed mainly of older and/or sentimental peeps.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 2008-05-10, 11:15   Link #91
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Every review everywhere I read without fail gives this series glowing reviews and yet here I sit 14 volumes later throughly...unimpressed?...Meh guess I'm just a freak...Maybe I should have read it slower or something...Probably has a completely different feel when you space it out across years of readership...
Not gonna lynch you, look: no rope or anything. :P
I came upon YKK halfway through it's run and didn't space out my reading of it over years, so I'm not sure that would help necessarily. It could be smaller things about how you read your manga. If it sparks your imagination while reading it or not, if you read a few panels and find yourself staring off into the distance or not...it's hard to say. The "work" that Abunai refers to is that sort of thing. People who dont' like YKK are mostly people who want it all shown to them, but YKK encourages the imagination to run wild. Some people just don't read that way.

I'm not saying to change the way you read, either. If you don't like reading that way, then reading it will seem more like a class assignment than pleasure and who wants that?

Quote:
And yet here sits mountains of reviews making me think whats wrong with me heh. ... Ok just about every show or manga labeled SoL that I've seen/read yet i've throughly enjoyed and yet the one that seems to be so universally hailed as the pinnacle of the genre barely struck a chord with me?
I know it's disconcerting to find that you are at odds with just about everyone about something or another, but don't let that worry you. If you don't like YKK, then you don't! As a teacher, I would encourage anyone in your position to try and analyze why you don't like it, but it's not that important, really.

I'm just glad you're not doing what I see all to often, which is to say, "I don't like it therefore it sucks" instead of "I don't like it. It may be good, but *I* don't like it."

Having said all that, you might give it another try. It took me four tries to like ARIA (manga) and I kept trying because of the same thing you're saying: everyone liked it but me. heh.
Old 2008-05-19, 07:20   Link #92
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Becasue G. Zeus' really irritated me, with that signature, like telling me, "You should read this manga!", so I finally read it.

Well... I loved it! It was a really beautiful story, without an actual ending. At some places, it was really melancholic, but I really liked it. It became one of my favourite manga.

Now, maybe it's strange, but since somebody said that YKK's successor is ARIA, I can't really stop thinking about that, the ARIA is not only a succesor, but maybe a possible sequel. It's maybe just my optimistic view of the world, that after every night, there always be a new morning... maybe there is a new morning for the humanity as well...

This manga really made thinking for hours, about life, and everything... (and about ways how to connect the two mangas together...)
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 01:34   Link #93
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Well, whaddya know? Advertising still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Now, maybe it's strange, but since somebody said that YKK's successor is ARIA, I can't really stop thinking about that, the ARIA is not only a succesor, but maybe a possible sequel. It's maybe just my optimistic view of the world, that after every night, there always be a new morning... maybe there is a new morning for the humanity as well...
Somehow, I don't find that strange at all since those two titles have many similar themes and both leave plenty of room for imagination and speculation. In fact, I've been trying to tie up the stories of three manga series with Ai-Ren as the scorching afternoon, YKK as the calm twilight, and ARIA as the new dawn that follows (Neo-Venezian backgrounds would be hard to pull off though ).

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2008-05-28, 18:35   Link #94
NaweG
Just some guy

Alpha's Cafe Chapter 9 is based on the One Who Sees, Walks, and is Delighted chapter of YKK. Alpha and Sensei meet for the last time in this heartwarming chapter that deals with aging, loss, and the hope for the future. This is the finale for the Alpha's Cafe series, and features a full vocal track as well as musical accompaniment. At the end of the episode there are the normal chapter credits, and then a very special Series credits with images that weren't used previously in the series.

Hope that my fellow YKK fans have enjoyed these!
Old 2008-06-18, 05:59   Link #95
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quoting my own post at ykk@pander.us:

Quote:

After two years of reading and writing various posts and reviews for the series, I think I'm having less trouble now in describing YKK as a whole and pointing out most of its merits. However, I noticed that among its various elements (plot, setting, themes, narrative and art styles), the characters seem to given the least amount of in-depth discussion. So I'd like to ask you guys: What is it about Alpha and the rest of the cast which makes them more memorable than other characters that we may have come across?

As a guide, some of you might want to check the Wikipedia article for "fictional character".

The conversation that started it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuunagi
I noticed that Alpha's already been nominated several times for the character spotlight at C&C. The weird thing is that even though I've gone through the manga several times for 2 years now, I'd still have trouble pointing out what's so special about her if ever she gets picked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-UpBird
True.

I think it is just that there is nothing specific to hate or love about her. It is that there is nothing special about her that makes her special. She is special because she isn't.
Feel free to respond here or in the original thread.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2008-06-21, 14:14   Link #96
Jiji
*Scanlator

I almost feel disqualified from speculating on this, being a Ph.D. candidate in English literature, but I felt I had to point out this:

Alpha's character benefits from the length of the series. 11 years of monthly installments provides plenty of "text" from which to draw examples of character. OTOH, Ashinano gives very little away in terms of her character. I'm reminded of the famous quote of Ingrid Bergman from her role in _Casablanca_, where she said she tried to keep her expressions as blank as possible, knowing that the audience would read into her face whatever they felt she *must* be feeling.

I feel the same thing happens with Alpha. We do get a few glimpses of her interior thoughts sometimes, but mostly there's very little hint of what is going on inside her. We are left to fill in the blanks ourselves. When I have some time, I intend to make a character analysis sheet, listing those instances when we do get *something* of her character from the "text". I'll post it here when i do. ^^
Old 2008-09-25, 11:55   Link #97
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Bump & minor update:
C&C featured Alpha Hatsuseno for the spotlight a few weeks ago. She later earned 26 "yes" votes and only 2 "no" votes but 65 members did not know her so she'd need another round of voting to be formally inducted into the club.
Spoiler for my post at that thread:

I also happened to stumble upon this interesting YKK AMV on Youtube:
Spoiler:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2008-10-12, 08:30   Link #98
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Yo. Just wondering if I missed something in these lists.

Spoiler:

If you think there's something else worth adding, feel free to bring it up.

Incidentally, the torrent at BoxTorrents was recently replaced and I'm not too excited about the change since I prefer Neil's wording. For comparison:

MP version

Misago version

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2011-02-05, 21:41   Link #99
aaronibus62

anyone out there still into discussing YKK?
I hate the fact I came into this thread over 2 years late :-(

What really annoys me is that Ashinano Hitoshi ended YKK to produce Cub no Isaki, which isn't as good in my eyes.... but neither was Position anywhere as good, except for the story where some kid saw a flying ship at midnight.... "I saw the ship, and there it went!"

I was into ARIA at one point but YKK seems more "reality based" and accesible to my mind than ARIA....

If Aria's main character were a direct clone of Alpha and drawn in Ashinano's style, I'd be nuts about it :-)

Last edited by NightWish; 2011-02-06 at 09:51. Reason: too many sequential posts; merged
aaronibus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 11:26   Link #100
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Nah. As I see it, YKK came to an end as a result of its own developments rather than Ashinano having to work on another series. Some might say that the final volumes feel rushed, but I think that only emphasizes the passage of time and the transient nature of life.

As for the other series and post-YKK syndrome, a word of advice: It's fine to take note of similarities, but you're better off not making direct comparisons. It's best to appreciate a series for its own strengths.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Tags
seinen, slice of life