AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-15, 01:46   Link #341
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All the Japanese volumes are still available (it still sells that well). I'd recommend avoiding amazon.co.jp though -- their shipping costs just massively suck compared with others.

Just rescanned the TP site.... you'd think nothing after volume 4 existed at all. Recent query both on site and contacting PR netted zero response. Maybe someone from TP who reads this might notice I'm not happy with them. They should drop the damned license if they aren't going to commit to a complete distribution.
Old 2009-09-15, 09:40   Link #342
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelvice View Post
That sucks. There goes my dream of collecting all of the translated volums of Aria...
If you can read Mandarin, I'm pretty sure there are official Taiwanese/Hong Kong translations.
Old 2009-09-15, 18:49   Link #343
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just rescanned the TP site.... you'd think nothing after volume 4 existed at all. Recent query both on site and contacting PR netted zero response. Maybe someone from TP who reads this might notice I'm not happy with them. They should drop the damned license if they aren't going to commit to a complete distribution.
Lawl, saw your post on the website. There is magically a number 5 in the list of volumes on the poorly designed website of theirs. Guess we'll have to wait until November to see. In the meantime, check out Yen Press's stuff.
Old 2009-09-15, 19:43   Link #344
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i gave up on waiting. so i dled scans. haha. there goes my spare time for the next week.. its so good. captures the mood better than the anime. plus i like the manga artwork better than the character designs. Alicia is just that much better in the manga.
Old 2009-09-16, 18:18   Link #345
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

god dangit, the manga is just as powerful as the anime when it comes to drawing emotions. Just read Alicia's birthday chapter, and once again, this series has filled me with warmth and joy.

upon further analysis, Amano needs to go back and actually MAKE that manga she serializes in Undine Monthly. holy crap, talk about epic.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-09-16 at 19:16.
Old 2009-09-18, 16:01   Link #346
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Lawl, saw your post on the website. There is magically a number 5 in the list of volumes on the poorly designed website of theirs. Guess we'll have to wait until November to see. In the meantime, check out Yen Press's stuff.
magical is right..... they couldn't be bothered to post after me, apologize, and point to the new page which didn't exist when I posted? Couldn't help myself, added a snarky comment followup on their website. And yes... Yen Press just keeps rising on the karma meter while TP keeps moving towards the ADV level of karmic doom.
Old 2009-09-19, 14:04   Link #347
~ Lawliet ~

Loved the anime so started reading recently and found to be very good, and maybe better.
Old 2009-09-24, 03:10   Link #348
mpt37

Question for those of you who have a copy of Tokyopop's Volume 4 release. I just got a copy of it and noticed the pages are much thinner than the previous volumes. I'm a bit upset about this since it costs the same as the other volumes but it feels so flimsy and I can see through the pages.

Is everyone else's Volume 4 like this as well?
Old 2009-09-24, 05:22   Link #349
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
Question for those of you who have a copy of Tokyopop's Volume 4 release. I just got a copy of it and noticed the pages are much thinner than the previous volumes. I'm a bit upset about this since it costs the same as the other volumes but it feels so flimsy and I can see through the pages.

Yep. No colour pages, noticeably cheaper material, and a shitty attempt at resizing the Table of contents. I suppose by making the first 3 with colour volumes was to compete with the ADV volumes which were cheaper and readily available even in the secondary market. Now they know we're stuck with their crap so they cut loose with quality.

As Vexx has shown us, any sort of suggestions or complaints will be ignored, so you are better off just not buying.
Old 2009-09-24, 21:43   Link #350
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post

Mine was like that too; needless to say, I'm not happy with Tokyopop...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-10-05, 14:38   Link #351
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

sigh, every new chapter of Aria to come out makes me feel better, regardless. this one moreso, because its Alicia centric.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2009-10-12, 21:46   Link #352
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

okay, so i'm actually going to spur a discussion rather than post oohs and ahhs like i normally do in this thread every time i read a new chapter.

lets talk about age. i'm going to be discussing this based on Man Home years rather than Aqua years. So Alicia was 15 when she became a prima. She didn't take on Akari until she was 18 (?). In chapter 46, she turns 20.

When we're first introduced to Alice, she's 14. (at least wiki says so). and at the very least, one and a half aqua years go by before she's finally promoted right? making her at least 16 when she's a prima.

now, i don't know if this is true or not, since time is very strangely done in Aria.

ps, the point of this post was to defend Alicia's record of being the youngest ever prima... <3

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2009-10-13, 06:15   Link #353
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
I can't recall if it was here or some other place on the internet (perhaps the club at MAL) but the issue of aging has been brought up before and most people agree that Amano and/or the anime producers have simply disregarded the regular passage of time in the same manner that she seems to disregard gravity in many of her illustrations.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2009-10-13, 09:11   Link #354
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
I can't recall if it was here or some other place on the internet (perhaps the club at MAL) but the issue of aging has been brought up before and most people agree that Amano and/or the anime producers have simply disregarded the regular passage of time in the same manner that she seems to disregard gravity in many of her illustrations.
Quite similar to how JJBA fans just respond with "Because Araki", we respond with "Because Amano".
Old 2009-10-13, 19:16   Link #355
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, i figured that age was a weird thing in Aria. anyways, what gravity disregard do you speak of?

oh, and aria image uploader is back
http://aria.tinybooru.com/post/list

too bad they lost like 60% of the pictures on there.

Old 2009-10-14, 06:13   Link #356
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
anyways, what gravity disregard do you speak of?
Stuff like this, this, and this.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2009-10-14, 13:36   Link #357
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
Stuff like this

fairly obvious that they're actually falling after being dropped by a spaceship into the water.

plus the two covers don't count because they're covers. duh.

Old 2009-10-25, 22:16   Link #358
D2
Go Big Red!

Volume five is coming out in November, though judging by the responses over these last few pages, few of us are actually going to consider buying anyways.
Old 2009-10-30, 19:58   Link #359
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 View Post
Volume five is coming out in November, though judging by the responses over these last few pages, few of us are actually going to consider buying anyways.
It will depend on the quality -- I'd rather pay $15 if it would get a better result. This isn't pulp to most fans - its art. However, TP appears to be trundling down the same road as ADV in driving away passionate fans. Poor choices they make...
Old 2009-10-30, 23:08   Link #360
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

It's horrible irony that after years of floundering in license limbo, as soon as ARIA does get picked up again the publisher that came to the rescue would themselves head off the true path and follow ADV Manga's doomed example. TP was always 3rd rate, but at least they rarely deviated from their steady release schedule. With that now a thing of the past, what do they have left to offer?
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, slice of life