AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-11-25, 21:05   Link #921
sneaker

Be careful though with using "--engage native_mpeg4". It was producing broken streams for a long time and still has a small bug when the source has N-VOPs. It will mess up the timecodes on that N-VOPs. You can check with mpeg4_modifier if it has any N-VOPs or not. (I'm talking about "real" N-VOPs, not those "dummy" N-VOPs used in a packed bitstream.)
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 12:08   Link #922
Sub-zero 4ever

Thanks for the help.
yes it seems there is still bugs with things regarding vfw->iso and so. and i'll be careful.
thanks for the help again.

i encoded a static clip (imagesource) with xvid_encraw (tried both mkv output and RAWASP). and the result clip was VFR (the frames got decimated from 200 to 90 with the proper timecodes (stored in the bitstream(?))). well that was little strange to me. so in which cases the xvid_encraw decides to decimate frames? and any means to control that?
Sub-zero 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 16:33   Link #923
akani

A somehow silly question

Hey guys,

since we Germans translate from English to German and sometimes even from Japanese to German, I just had one question in mind.

Is there any English fansub group, that ever translated something into German or at least searched for an English -> German translator?

I'm sorry, if I placed this thread wrongly.

I'm looking forward to answers.
akani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 20:59   Link #924
Zergrinch
Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Zergrinch Send a message via Yahoo to Zergrinch
I finally got my hands on R2 DVDs for the series I'm working on. Now, my problem is getting passable rips out of it.

So, I thought I'd ask it here first

The source is 720x480, with some really ugly black vertical bars on either side.

I guess I can either keep the 720x480 resolution as-is, or crop out the black bars and resize the thing to 640x480. Which is a better course of action? (I'm leaning on resizing, because keeping at 720x480 requires me to horizontally stretch all subtitle text to 112.5% (720/640) to adjust for aspect ratios.
Zergrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 21:12   Link #925
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
Definitely crop the black bars. I'd take ten pixels off each side, Spline36Resize to 704x480, then set the aspect ratio to 4:3 when muxing to MKV.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 05:59   Link #926
Zergrinch
Fansubber

If I do this, will I still have to specify horizontally-stretching for all soft subtitles (which in this case will be 704/640= 110%?
Old 2009-12-08, 07:20   Link #927
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Yeah, but that's not hard to do. Just set the percentages in the main style settings so it automatically gets applied to every line.

The only real downside to it is that the subs won't get stretched when rendered by MPC's subtitle renderer, so they'll be off a bit. But if you're careful about it you can still make even most soft-subbed typesetting look fine with both VSFilter and MPC's renderer.

One thing I'd recommend for helping with that, by the way, is changing the Y scaling rather than the X scaling for the font size. (640/704 = 91% Y scaling, rather than 704/640 = 110% X scaling.) That way, subs will appear smaller when rendered by MPC instead of bigger, so you won't have problems with three-line subs or typesetting extending into areas it shouldn't.
Old 2009-12-08, 07:50   Link #928
Zergrinch
Fansubber

How about if I just specified in the ASS file that the resolution is 640x480? Will that mess anything?
Old 2009-12-08, 08:22   Link #929
Desbreko
*Fansubber

I don't think it would mess anything up with how the subs are actually displayed, it would just make position and margin numbers in the script not match up with the video's resolution. But it won't make the subs display at the correct aspect ratio, either.
Old 2009-12-08, 19:57   Link #930
Zergrinch
Fansubber

Haha, alright. Thanks a lot for your feedback Desbreko

Now I'm leaning ever more closer to resizing to 640x480, cuz I'm lazy
Old 2009-12-15, 05:47   Link #931
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Questions:

I'm looking at who subbed this (they seem 100% very accurate and literal)

Old 2009-12-16, 09:21   Link #932
Sub-zero 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero 4ever View Post
Thanks for the help.
yes it seems there is still bugs with things regarding vfw->iso and so. and i'll be careful.
thanks for the help again.

i encoded a static clip (imagesource) with xvid_encraw (tried both mkv output and RAWASP). and the result clip was VFR (the frames got decimated from 200 to 90 with the proper timecodes (stored in the bitstream(?))). well that was little strange to me. so in which cases the xvid_encraw decides to decimate frames? and any means to control that?
lol I knew what was wrong, i was using megui in generating the settings which included "-noclosed_gop". That gave me null frames. No problems after I enabled closed GOPs.

Can i get rid of the NULL frames in avi's with codecs other than mpeg4-related while muxing to mkv? like a 120 fps wmv9?
Sub-zero 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 04:43   Link #933
misteranonimous

What would be the better codec? FLAC or DTS-HDMA?
misteranonimous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 05:53   Link #934
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

define "better"
flac compresses one hell of a lot more efficiently, if that's what you mean
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 12:33   Link #935
emptyeighty

FLAC sounds better. </rimshot>
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 17:57   Link #936
GipFace

I am translating a credit roll and have made a transparent PNG which would scroll alongside the Japanese text. I found this was more practical than 150+ lines of ASS code which I would have to individually time.

PNG: http://imgh.us/creditroll.png
JPG render: http://imgh.us/496_creditroll.jpg

Unfortunately, none of the ASS renderers can process "Picture" events. I don't much experience with AviSynth, so could someone help me and tell me how to scroll a png image within a constrained area?

Thanks in advance!
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 18:58   Link #937
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
Unfortunately, none of the ASS renderers can process "Picture" events.
It's really dumb it was ever mentioned in the "ass_specs.rtf" or whatever the original document is called, because it has never been supported in any and won't ever either. It existed in SubStation Alpha 4 (the application) but not in any rendering software for its file format or derivatives since then.
I consider the only authoritative document on the ASS format to be the VSFilter source code. With that in mind, there has never been any mention of Picture lines in the ASS format definition.

As for your actual question, I'm sure I could hack something together but it's way too late for me to think Avisynth right now

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 23:41   Link #938
crash-kun
AFX nub
*Fansubber

After Effects is probably your best bet. Or you could even use the credit-less ED from the Bluray (assuming one was included) and then put the TL on that. Then you could time them in groups with Aegisub or you could still use AFX to scroll it like the original. Either way you wont have ugly text scaling problems because the text won't fit.

Or you could just not TL/TS the credits since noone cares.

Last edited by crash-kun; 2009-12-26 at 00:00.
crash-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 01:15   Link #939
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Assuming you could get the line spacing right, couldn't you just make it all one subtitle line, or maybe break it into only a few lines, to avoid timing the scrolling for every individual name?
Old 2009-12-26, 04:12   Link #940
Plorkyeran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
I am translating a credit roll and have made a transparent PNG which would scroll alongside the Japanese text. I found this was more practical than 150+ lines of ASS code which I would have to individually time.

PNG: http://imgh.us/creditroll.png
JPG render: http://imgh.us/496_creditroll.jpg

Unfortunately, none of the ASS renderers can process "Picture" events. I don't much experience with AviSynth, so could someone help me and tell me how to scroll a png image within a constrained area?

Thanks in advance!
Crop + Animate.
Plorkyeran is offline   Reply With Quote