AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-15, 23:21   Link #1
brocko

Wacky, Random, Crazy Batshit Insane first episodes.

As the title says, I'm looking for any randomly absurd, wacky and crazy batshit insane first episodes to as many shows as possible. The rest of the show doesn't necessarily have to live up to the first episodes insanity as I'm more interested in the first episode by itself (eg: Futakoi Alternative and Haruhi). In most cases though it's very probable that the first episode will be highly reflective of the rest of the series which is fine too. If there's any other random ass episodes in the middle of a series that are able to function stand-alone by itself please do feel free to mention them as well

Here's a list I've made so far. I'm sure I'm missing a lot so please do help.

- Cromartie High School
- Detroit Metal City
- FLCL
- Nichijou
- Zetsubou Sensei
- Dai Mahou Touge
- Dokuro chan
- Futakoi Alternative
- Haruhi
- Arakawa Under the Bridge
- Pani Poni Dash
- Panty & Stocking

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-04-19 at 07:12.
Old 2011-04-15, 23:26   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt- the rest of the series is even crazier though it does have relatively subdued episodes now and then.
Old 2011-04-15, 23:28   Link #3
brocko

Can't believe i forgot bout that Panty Stocking. Included it in the list above, thanks

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2011-04-15, 23:34   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Definitely Needless, the series is an insane action series , or there is Excel Saga which is just plain insanity most of the time.
MAL
Old 2011-04-15, 23:46   Link #5
brocko

Will have a look into Excel Saga, saw a little of Needless and I think it's more along the lines of over-the-top action as opposed to wacky insanity. Not exactly what I'm getting at, but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless

Old 2011-04-16, 00:23   Link #6
GreatTeacherKen

Seto no Hanayome is also pretty crazy. The first half of the first episode is normal, but then halfway through the series premise is introduced and things start getting crazy.

The first episode is probably the least crazy episode in the whole series, which is full of has to be seen to believed kind of material, especially the last episode.
Old 2011-04-16, 00:47   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru First episode made me laugh so hard. "Maid-jitsu! The art of manipulating men into giving us their money. - Now lets get our War Paint on!"

Soul Eater
had a pretty good first episode.

Madoka Magica - first episode hooked me on a show in a genre I don't care for. Only watched the first one because I heard there were laser shooting flintlocks. Episode 10 is also pretty good stand alone.

Just about any of the Full Metal Panic: Fumuffu episodes.

First episode of Angel Beats was pretty trippy, 2nd episode even more so.

Dororon Enma kun Meeramera first episode was... disturbing.

Eden of the East

Lucky Star first episode was rather strange- in a meta sense. Afterward you wonder why you just watch 20 minutes of discussion about pastries.

Would Tiger and Bunny first episode count?

Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu first episode. Go Gachi Rangers!

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2011-04-16 at 18:21.
Old 2011-04-16, 02:52   Link #8
Mr.Garfield

try Ga-rei zero
Old 2011-04-16, 03:01   Link #9
jedinat

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko's first episode is pretty out there, in an understated way. What with the rolled-up mattress with very girlish legs that one is supposed to pretend isn't there, lol.
Old 2011-04-16, 03:24   Link #10
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Not the wild or random kind of insanity you might be after but if you are looking for an intense first episode, try Soukou no Strain.
Old 2011-04-16, 04:24   Link #11
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

It's a crime to not have Shinobuden on this list. First ep or any other, it's definitely in the batshit insane category.
Old 2011-04-16, 05:21   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I second Denpa Onna if you liked Arakawa. In fact I simply recommend you watch more Shaft/Shinbo shows...
Old 2011-04-16, 06:06   Link #13
brocko

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

The main thing I'm really after is the absurdity of the episode. The more absurd, the better. A lot of the suggestions I've already seen and while they do fit the bill i don't think some are quite crazy enough. I was a little hesitant to include Haruhi, Arakawa and perhaps even Pani Poni Dash in the opening post to be honest because i thought they were a little too tame when compared to the others on that list. The craziest of the crazies is what I'm really looking for.

Old 2011-04-16, 10:59   Link #14
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Arakawa Under the Bridge doesn't fit that?

I recommend Tatami Galaxy.
Old 2011-04-16, 11:16   Link #15
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Not sure if its insane enough but School Rumble?
Old 2011-04-16, 21:56   Link #16
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
If it's absurdity, you might want to check out Kaiba. It's the only absurd piece from the author that's actually good imo.
Old 2011-04-17, 01:49   Link #17
User68604
Disabled By Request

surprised at the no mention of RAINBOW

that first prison arc (just the 1st ep alone even) was incredible... the most epic arc ive ever seen in all the series's ive viewed
Old 2011-04-17, 08:46   Link #18
brocko

^ Wasn't Rainbow more along the lines of a nitty gritty drama? Not exactly the wackiness I'm looking for but thanks for the general recommendation anyway. I've heard a lot of good things about Rainbow and I've been meaning to watch it for awhile now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Arakawa Under the Bridge doesn't fit that?

I recommend Tatami Galaxy.
Arakawa's first episode takes a little while to get off. It doesn't really start getting wacky until about half way through. But the rest of the series does fit the bill extremely well though

Tatami Galaxy seems like another good suggestion too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Not sure if its insane enough but School Rumble?
It's been awhile since i've last seen school rumble but I'll check out the first episode again and see how well it compares. Thanks for the reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
If it's absurdity, you might want to check out Kaiba. It's the only absurd piece from the author that's actually good imo.
I'll have a quick peek into the first episode, thanks.

-----------------------------
Also don't think I've mentioned it yet, but these shows/episodes aren't really so much for me to watch as much as they are a compilation of shows/episodes to screen at my anime club under a "crazy, balls out, wacky and absurdly insane" type theme.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-04-19 at 07:13.
Old 2011-04-18, 12:16   Link #19
Progbuusters

for old stuff: Project A-ko
Old 2011-04-18, 13:16   Link #20
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Perhaps Hayate no Gotoku ? With the whole debt thing etc.etc.etc.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-04-19 at 01:31.
Closed Thread