AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-19, 08:18   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho (Tokyo Demon Academy Kenpucho)
New action/shounen fantasy anime airing on 2007/01/19. Based loosely on a series of PS2 RPG games. OP & ED are by ACID. No trailer yet.

Here's the synopis (with cast):

Quote:
The story takes place in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

In spring, a mysterious student transfers to Magami Academy. His name is Hiyu Tatsuma (Hiro Shimono). Then, he meets Horaiji Kyoichi (Masaki Kawanabe) of the kendo club, Daigo Yuya (Katsui Taira) of the wresting club, Sakurai Komaki(Satomi Arai) of the kyudo (Japanese archery) club, and Misato Aoi(Yui Horie) who is the student leader, as if they were attracted by something.

Being influenced by Ryumyaku or Dragon Vein, which became active suddenly, they are awakened as “persons who posses powers”. Since that day, monsters called “Oni” appear and begin to assault Tokyo. Also, those who use evil power to control Oni appear. To protect Tokyo from them, Tatsuma and his friend stand up to fight. Then, they have to face their destiny….
The main character designs are pretty cool and distinctive (designed by Jun Nakai, animator on Eureka 7, Ergo Proxy and Speed Grapher). I like the scratchy style - reminds me of Witchblade's characters for some reason (I think it's the hair). Kyoichi looks particularly moody and Aoi and Komaki (the archer) are cute. I hope they're animated similarly distinctively.

So yeah, more high school kids vs monsters (or Oni in this case), but I like the idea of the various martial arts disciplines being a key part of the student's lives (rather than them just being random skills) and kyudo especially (I don't think I've seen archery featured in an anime since Arjuna). There's not much info about this show but I'm hoping it's not a cliche shounen fightfest and something more intriguing.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-12-28 at 12:33. Reason: removed bad link
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 09:38   Link #2
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

I enjoyed this game a lot. And when I looked at the character designs of the anime I was like what the hell this isn't anything like the game's atmosphere! Well,the character designs in the game weren't that pretty to start with,but it suited the game well.

What the game was good about was all about its 'Emotion Input System'..where the hero expresses his emotion in 8 buttons.(anger,suffering,sadness,callousness,happi ness,agreement,friendship,love) It's hilarious to see the character's reactions...and you know..you can show love to male characters as well. (and proves Kyoichi is gay..) Plus you each have an ending that corrosponds to the characters you showed love to. In Kenpoucho,there were only endings for Misato(god I hate her),Komaki,Kyoichi and Daigo but in the fandisk you can see endings for all..uh....30 characters.(I think it was 30..)
The fact that the main hero talks in the anime just takes away most of the fun..

Also the story was not that special but really well written throughout the 30 chapters of the game..I'm kindda worried about the anime cuz,wellllllll...most anime adaptations are not that good.

We'll see when it comes out but...I still don't like the character designs!
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 10:06   Link #3
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Ah ha, because I poked around the game site (with some nice artwork) but it didn't seem to bare much resemblance to the anime at all; apart from the basic roles and the weapons of-course.

EDIT: Scan of Tatsuma, Kyoichi and Aoi from Newtype Jan '07...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-12-20 at 07:06. Reason: added scan
Old 2006-12-28, 12:08   Link #4
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Minor update - the full Majin website has been unveiled, includes a better look at the characters. Still no trailer though...
Old 2006-12-28, 21:19   Link #5
wao
OK.

I was attracted to the character designs when I was flipping through Newtype too. It was like "oh... another moe loli series.... another one..." (okay there weren't that many but few shows caught my attention) and then this sort of made me stop for a short bit. I somehow like the lines a lot and the designs are just attractive to me.

Although those are pretty crazy ahoges.... heh

And... what the heck? Does the game even have anything remotely to do with this? I can't see any resemblence...

EDIT: Ah, I see now. I think the anime is not really an adaptation of a game but like a reinterpretation or something... just using a similar premise and stuff... perhaps..
Old 2006-12-29, 07:38   Link #6
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Ahoges! That's the word I was looking for! When I was writing the first post I could not remember for the life of me the word for the sticky-uppy hair things. Sadly I will never be a Grade A otaku...wait, perhaps that's a good thing.

Anyway, yeah I'm smitten with the character designs and their rather natural colour scheme i.e. no orange haired protagonists here. I'm eager to see a trailer though; hoping the art style transfers to the screen. I was wondering if they changed into their Edo era costumes to do battle or something to tie in with the game.
Old 2006-12-29, 21:12   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Ahoges! That's the word I was looking for! When I was writing the first post I could not remember for the life of me the word for the sticky-uppy hair things. Sadly I will never be a Grade A otaku...wait, perhaps that's a good thing.
haha.. Perhaps! I'm a bit cautious about this series because how the character design for the hero and the girl on the left seems similar to the male and female lead from Tenjou Tenge. That series went downhill very quickly animation wise after the first two episodes.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 22:27   Link #8
Jesus Christnekoff

Quote:
(and proves Kyoichi is gay..)
Lies. The thing that proves Kyoichi is gay is the fact that you can date him for Christmas.

Quote:
EDIT: Ah, I see now. I think the anime is not really an adaptation of a game but like a reinterpretation or something... just using a similar premise and stuff... perhaps..
No, this is based on the game. The first game. That came out on the Playstation in 1998. The website that's been linked in this thread is the third game in the series, which brings in the Norse Gods for some reason. I haven't played it, nor do I want to.

Here's the original crew:

Quote:
I was wondering if they changed into their Edo era costumes to do battle or something to tie in with the game.
Those are different characters.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Kyoichi looks particularly moody
The sad thing? Kyoichi isn't moody in the game. At all. He's the goofy, perverted, wacky best friend. The fact that all the promotional material shows him as the moody, sad sack... it makes me worry.

Quote:
We'll see when it comes out but...I still don't like the character designs!
I'm afraid of what's going to happen to Arisa D:

If you guys want a preview of some of the other characters, here ya go. Of course, this is fanart based on the game, and there's a dramatic disconnect between the designs of the anime and game...
Jesus Christnekoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 00:08   Link #9
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christnekoff View Post
No, this is based on the game. The first game. That came out on the Playstation in 1998. The website that's been linked in this thread is the third game in the series, which brings in the Norse Gods for some reason. I haven't played it, nor do I want to.

Here's the original crew:
(image)

Ahhh, that makes a lot more sense. Thank you very much, they do look more similar here. Though there still is quite a difference in art style... Yet I somehow find myself liking the animation ones more, probably because I tend to appreciate anime character designs more easily and I can't help but like its confident, strong lines (we'll put the ridiculous ahoge to one side for now).

Perhaps the decision to adapt the designs in that way is a mark that the story too will not be very faithful to the game? I dunno. (I don't really care, either.. since I haven't played it.)
Old 2007-01-14, 00:47   Link #10
Jesus Christnekoff

Possibly. Like, one thing I noticed was that in the scan from earlier, Aoi is holding a naginata. In the game, her only weapons are rings, and she doesn't get any offensive capabilities until like, Level 40.

And, like, Hisui is already listed on the character page, which is weird because he's a pretty minor character, especially when compared to the other 6.
Old 2007-01-15, 06:45   Link #11
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the info Jesus Christnekoff. The website has been updated, includes a handful of other wonderfully designed characters, including the freakish looking Kodunu (love the hair) and token loli Mary. Also on the outline page there's two tantalising shots from the anime, though not really enough to draw any conclusions on how it'll be animated.

T minus 4 days.
Old 2007-01-15, 15:15   Link #12
Jesus Christnekoff

Wow. Kodzuno, what happened to you?

And I never thought I'd see the day when Maria is wearing baggy khakis. She's supposed to be like, all glamorous and stuff.

Anyway, Maria Alucard and Morihito Inugami are teachers at Magami High. Maria is Hiyu's homeroom teacher. Kodzuno is, well, a villain, as if you couldn't figure that out by looking at him. Marie Crea is a firestarter (Y'know, psychic and can create fire and whatnot) who is supposed to have a little cat named Mephisto but I do not see him and that makes me sad.

I apologize for being all like "OMG WTF???" but its just like... wow.

(For the recrod: Kyoko Tohno works on the Magami High newspaper. Hisui Kisaragi runs the antique shop, and is also a ninja. And doesn't attend Magami.)
Old 2007-01-19, 10:14   Link #13
eggplant
Eggplant

Saw episode 1.
Spoiler for Episode 1:

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 13:46   Link #14
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I was going to watch the first 3 episodes anyway, but Eggplant's vote of confidence makes me look forward to the episode even more. There can never be enough shounen series after all. My only concern would be that the series will not take a chapter for inconsistency from Tenjou Tenje in regards to animation.
Old 2007-01-19, 16:38   Link #15
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Oh man, that first ep was wonderful. A little heavy on the violin at the start, but the mop thing got a laugh from me, as did the photographer under the pavement. Choreography is impressive and the animation matches it. It could stand to be a little more colorful and less grey, but I'll live. A primer on the world would definitely have done me a great deal of good since about 50% of the episode or so is various fight scenes.

And yes, I also find it funny that Horie Yui is playing another seitokaicho role. Busy busy girl these days.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 18:01   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshot for Episode 1:

Music: Brilliant!

Animation: Very good

Background Image: Very very detailed!

Story: One could write a short novel from what transpired in episode 1 alone. Way too many things happened to make me struggle to keep up with what's going on. I'm certain the following episodes won't be able to maintain this much detail consistently.

Entertainment Value: From my perspective, this is the best first episode from all the series I've seen so far in this Winter 2007 season. I should also note that I'm an avid shounen-fan, but that doesn't mean I would go gaga over anything. This episode indeed was very good!

Hence, my request to the Anime Gods: If you are reading this thread...... please, please don't let this series end up in the land of mediocrity after the 3rd episode.
Old 2007-01-19, 18:32   Link #17
cyth
Banned

Watched episode 01...
Spoiler:
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 19:08   Link #18
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Ohmygosh... ohmygosh...Oh...where to begin...

Spoiler for ohmygosh:

As monir said, hands down the most visually exciting and visceral first episode of the season.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-19 at 19:43. Reason: fixing names
Old 2007-01-19, 19:53   Link #19
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Ohmygosh... ohmygosh...Oh...where to begin...

Spoiler for ohmygosh:
Spoiler for episode 1:
Old 2007-01-19, 20:03   Link #20
wao
OK.

Oh damn you, Sonhex! Damn you and damn you to heck and back! I was going to silently ignore this series hoping it'll just end up being a disappointment but now that I"ve read your raving review of it I just have to watch it now, don't I? Especially when you mention the animation! God, I remember this happening with a particular show beginning with B... but that level of crazy addiction is not happening for this show, I will make sure of it! (I doubt it'll hook me as much anyway)

And it doesn't help that when I finally decide to go visit the sakuga thread at 2ch they're all currently raving about the first episode of this show. Now I have to take a look at it... I had a look at the animators names though, surprisingly nothing really stood out apart from Hisashi Saitou whom I remember seeing here and there in other good eps of Stuff.

I think perhaps episode 1 was given a lot of time in production and what may have been normally mediocre animators could do a better job (like how some so-so animators at I.G. turn into great people when it comes to movies). Either that or Jun Nakai is a genius.

It's not just the animators though, the episode director must have gotten it all down precisely. Well, I'll go yap on about it when the episode downloads... The scary thing is... It's not like I hate superpowers-in-school stuff. Actually, I think that's another one of my 1001 guilty pleasures. It's one of the genres that got me so hooked onto anime to begin with so if it's really flashy and done well and is consistently cool... then why not? Just watching it is fine...

I have a sinking feeling they won't keep up the quality though. After all I'm really relying on the Spring season for my eyecandy quota. *drools at the general direction of Seirei no Moribito, Gurenn-Lagann and Dennou Coil*

Tags
action, supernatural