AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-08-17, 11:33   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting concept... but the plot synopsis reads like some horrible child of Gilligan's Island, Lost, Lost in Space, Land Before Time, and a vat of Bad Hollywood Not-Science.

Notice they never said WHEN they were going to ... just "primeval history" though they did use the word "dinosaurs"..... which makes no sense. Pick a time period with less bitey things... there are millions and millions of years to choose from. Also... it isn't entirely clear humans would do so well in the atmosphere of the period and o gods, the viruses and bacteria back then???

Otherwise, I got a distinct whiff of the MMO Rift and its storyline of "going back to save the future" blah blah.
Old 2011-08-17, 12:24   Link #22
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I agree with Vexx, but my craving for dinosaurs lately has turned the horrible time-planning in the synopsis away from my eyes.

Though, maybe they chose the dinosaur era because they didn't want to mess with pre-humans?
Old 2011-08-17, 12:29   Link #23
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Why did they choose the Dinosaur era? Because it would make for cooler television .

I'm willing to tolerate shady premises, I'm more worried about this turning out like Falling skies. I'm quite wary of the "family drama" tag at the moment.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 16:33   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Why did they choose the Dinosaur era? Because it would make for cooler television .

I'm willing to tolerate shady premises, I'm more worried about this turning out like Falling skies. I'm quite wary of the "family drama" tag at the moment.
These days I translate "family drama" as we don't actually have the budget to do Big Things so we're going to dress a soap opera with some minor bits and hope you won't notice its just a rehash of the zombie series without the zombies.
Old 2011-08-17, 17:47   Link #25
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So expensive they made 13 episodes on location without a Pilot episode.
Old 2011-08-17, 18:02   Link #26
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
These days I translate "family drama" as we don't actually have the budget to do Big Things so we're going to dress a soap opera with some minor bits and hope you won't notice its just a rehash of the zombie series without the zombies.
Indeed, but this series (as noted by Ithekro) has a very large budget, so your logic doesn't quite hold. I don't know why they're suddenly making sci fi family dramas, when previous efforts that were kinda similiar (like Lost) weren't of that type.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I see dialogue about "how our son shouldn't be dating that kind of girl" etc. I'm out of there.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 03:11   Link #27
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2011-09-26, 06:30   Link #28
HasuMasu
*Artist

Found a little something here.
Old 2011-09-26, 20:09   Link #29
james0246

I really don't understand why the future people didn't just build Asimov style megaopolis/dome cities. Environment turns against you? Well, cut the environment out of the equation. That being said, wouldn't interstellar travel be more technologically realistic?

Whatever the case, there have been several interesting moments so far. The central premise may be a little silly, but there is a lot of potential.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 21:42   Link #30
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Some family members were watching it and I saw like 20 minutes worth. Kept wondering the same thing, james. From what I saw it would seem transporting technology through the wormhole thing was impossible, but even so enough people could re-engineer a livable "future environment" pretty quickly I'd assume, given they've mastered interdimensional travel.

Why go back in time to any epoch concurrent with dinosaurs when you could easily go back to the Oligocene and reap fresh grasslands, somewhat similar environment to today, etc? Though I suppose I'm the idiot; expecting a scientific basis for these shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Also... it isn't entirely clear humans would do so well in the atmosphere of the period and o gods, the viruses and bacteria back then???
You've actually got me quite interested in this hypothetical scenario now. I wonder what effects archaic micro-organisms would have on humanity, if any.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 21:55   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You know what would be funny. If they hadn't actually invened time travel, but instead a limited planetary transport network. And instead of going to the past this was an elaborate government scheme at depopulation or a wack-jobs ideas of starting over by settling on the island of Jurrassic Park.

The other alternatives involve maybe there are more than one time travel location and they are trying to split up the population rather than just send everyone back to the same time.
They haven't mastered time travel at all and this is the only place it goes by fate.
This actually is a different planet and they just don't know it yet.

Or they will find an ancient advanced civilization that was wiped out with the dinosaurs...or by us going back in time....or they and us manage to create space travel and left before the asteroid hit, with some coming back after (Noah's Ark?)

There are a lot of things that can be done when you have millions of years to play with.
Old 2011-09-26, 22:41   Link #32
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I really don't understand why the future people didn't just build Asimov style megaopolis/dome cities. Environment turns against you? Well, cut the environment out of the equation. That being said, wouldn't interstellar travel be more technologically realistic?

Whatever the case, there have been several interesting moments so far. The central premise may be a little silly, but there is a lot of potential.
It was almost a throwaway line, but apparently they did. But it seems only the wealthiest can afford it.

I liked the premiere anyway. Sometimes it even felt like watching a movie.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 22:53   Link #33
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh this dose seem to be worth to keep watching its just going to be slow and whinny
Old 2011-09-27, 07:38   Link #34
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I think this would have been a lot better as a more traditional sci-fi without the family drama, which came across to me as really cheesy and at times forced, especially the whole "rebellious teenager" plotline. The rest was interesting enough though and I think it has potential. Here's to hoping it doesn't get canceled after 1-2 weeks.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 07:40   Link #35
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I really don't understand why the future people didn't just build Asimov style megaopolis/dome cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
It was almost a throwaway line, but apparently they did. But it seems only the wealthiest can afford it.
Yep, they do have domes but only upper-class citizens and extremely successful workers can get a ticket to those areas. It was implied by the Terra Nova governor that the wife could've gone there but she preferred to give her children a more tangible future.

So I guess they do have some but creating an ecosafe environment costs big bucks in the 22nd century.

Quote:
Environment turns against you? Well, cut the environment out of the equation. That being said, wouldn't interstellar travel be more technologically realistic?
That's if they have mastered FTL technology or created generation space vessels capable of shouldering several centuries of interstellar travel (same thing for Avatar - how many years did it take them to reach Pandora - a planet orbiting the star closest to our solar system - with that antimatter-powered spaceship again?). Thing is, their portal thing could probably have been a fluke made by a bunch of scientists who made the experiment just for the sake of finding out what would happen without having any clear expectation, and when they saw the results, they jumped on the unexpected opportunity. You know, essentially, sending people in space with the hope they'll find a habitable planet and can manage populating it (we haven't even considered the terraforming process, which might be required beforehand), is a very long shot with little chance of success. Sending people into the past, in a world that our bodies have little struggle interacting with/adapting to is a FAR more alluring alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
From what I saw it would seem transporting technology through the wormhole thing was impossible, but even so enough people could re-engineer a livable "future environment" pretty quickly I'd assume, given they've mastered interdimensional travel.
They've had at least seven years and a good idea of what they'd find out there (the ecosystem, I mean) so, yeah, they're doing pretty well for settlers with limited resources and apparently no continuous, logistical connection to the "future".

Furthermore, the Shannon family is part of the eleventh group of settlers being sent to Terra Nova, so they have a good influx of working hands and fresh minds to maintain constant development.

Quote:
Why go back in time to any epoch concurrent with dinosaurs when you could easily go back to the Oligocene and reap fresh grasslands, somewhat similar environment to today, etc? Though I suppose I'm the idiot; expecting a scientific basis for these shows.
The premise is that they ripped a hole through the time-space continuum and found a shortcut to that period. Perhaps they weren't able to select a more appropriate/safer time period, they couldn't figure out the math or...22nd century tech still isn't sufficiently well-honed to allow high-precision "time travel" and they decided that beggars can't be choosers. Make due with what they already had.

Quote:
You've actually got me quite interested in this hypothetical scenario now. I wonder what effects archaic micro-organisms would have on humanity, if any.
Something I found interesting is that the dinosaur era is, IIRC, supposed to have a lesser concentration of oxygen in the air (something like 18-19% instead of the full-fledged 21%) and some settlers are actually bothered by the fact that there is so MUCH oxygen in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You know what would be funny. If they hadn't actually invened time travel, but instead a limited planetary transport network. And instead of going to the past this was an elaborate government scheme at depopulation or a wack-jobs ideas of starting over by settling on the island of Jurrassic Park.

The other alternatives involve maybe there are more than one time travel location and they are trying to split up the population rather than just send everyone back to the same time.

(...)

They haven't mastered time travel at all and this is the only place it goes by fate.
This actually is a different planet and they just don't know it yet.
The family's elder daughter revealed
Spoiler:

Another thing...the MC mentions they're now 85 Mya (milion years ago) and the producers say "late Jurassic", but, um, the Jurassic starts 200 Mya and ends 165 Mya. 85 Mya corresponds to the middle of the Cretaceous, roughly 20 million years before the supposed giant cataclysm that ended the dinosaurs' reign.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-09-27 at 07:54.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 07:51   Link #36
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-09-27, 07:59   Link #37
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler:
Old 2011-09-27, 08:17   Link #38
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-09-27, 11:38   Link #39
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally saw the premiere episode. One word: Amazing. I love scenery of both the future and the past. For a SF TV series, the CGI was great and the story was intriguing and got me hooked and i'm glad to see Stephen Lang again.

I hope to see the next episode.
Old 2011-09-27, 22:30   Link #40
Nosauz

The "sixers" really remind me of the "others" that instant connection to Lost was an immediate put off, not to mention the "equations" remind me of list of candidates and dharma back story. Anyway it's alright in terms of setting, cast and cgi, but for the most part I found it engaging, also plot threads of teenagers doing stupid shit is a big no no in my book because it screams of lazy writing.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, sci-fi