AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-14, 21:10   Link #101
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
I was referring to the fact that you trailed off on your sentence making it look like an extreme struggle to find something decent to say about the episode. Good writing DOES need to relate to the plot somehow or another, otherwise you have a standalone episode that does nothing to the plot whatsoever... which this episode is guilty of doing no matter how you look at it. If you want to look at in in the fashion that it solidified the evilness of Dullindal, well that's entirely wrong as well. Dullindal didn't do anything evil until he enacted his Destiny Plan. Everything else before that was merely for peace. He eliminated the enemy and that was that. It's just that Kira and co misinterpreted it.
I put the ellipsis in there because the point was so obvious that it shouldn't have been necessary to point out. A story doesn't have to contribute anything to the plot for it to be well written. Kino's Journey, for example is almost uniformly well written, but the stories are just a bunch of vignettes. The point of "Meer" has nothing to do with Durandal at all. The only two characters of any importance in it were Meer and Lacus. It was a study of how the existence of the latter shaped the former's life, and yet it was Lacus who perhaps ended being more changed by it. It also provided Lacus a display of one of her few human touches throughout Destiny. Deacon Blues, I have the feeling that you completely misread the episode.
Old 2006-08-14, 21:56   Link #102
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^This isn't Cowboy Bebop or Lupin the 3rd where a total episodic ep doesn't effect anything regarding the plot...GSD is (or tries to be rather) a political intrigue drama inwhich it puts so much into examining the motivations and plots of all it's primary characters (To the degree of overkill with it's flashbacks)...You have to also take into account what kind of show this is when looking at an ep like "Meer"...As a stand alone episode perhaps it is well-written, but GSD has almost no standalone eps in the entire series which points to "Meer" being an anomaly of sorts...Every episode flawed or otherwise has a theme they try to develop or incorporate into the movement of the plot (many totally unsuccessful), but "Meer" is a straight character piece that rips the blanket off of a secondary character whose purpose to show has already been fulfilled...

I can only image the GSD staff when the "Meer" episode aired (Hell imagine when they were creating it)...They're no idiots (after the fact ofcourse^^)...I bet most of them were cringing because they knew how ill-timed and and unimportant this ep was...Finally no matter what you say about this episode (much inwhich I agree as a stand-alone) there is no way you can ignore this eps timing in relationship to the series...Just it's mere (Meer ;P) appearance where it appears hurts it's rating immediatley because it disrupts the flow of the series severly....To a degree you cannot ignore, so it's your choice to just pull it out of a deck of cards and admire it, but you'd be side-stepping the moumental flaw it has in relationship to the most important aspect of any series...THE ENDING...It just doesn't serve any importance to the ending...based on it's episode-slotting that's kinda unforgivable...
Old 2006-08-14, 22:35   Link #103
4Tran

Never mind what the creators were thinking about "Meer", I was upset that they decided to stick a clip/character episode right at the end when they should have been setting up for the climax. To make matters worse, it seemed that they were going to concentrate that episode on a character who had just died! However, I thought that the execution was excellent. In the bigger picture, it would have been nice if more had been done to further the main story, but that doesn't really affect how good "Meer" was on its own.

As for the ending, I wasn't really expecting very much from it to begin with; of all the Gundam TV shows, the list of endings I actually liked started with Victory, and ended with Seed. The fact that "Meer" ended up being better than the ending episodes was sort of a bonus.

I would say that if you didn't like the way it fit into the ending, then you could say that the ending itself was poor. If you want to say that a particular episode was poorly made, then you should be able to explain why within the context of that episode.
Old 2006-08-14, 22:49   Link #104
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Well in the context of that episode, ignoring everything else, you have the right to veiw "Meer" as a good episode...I just don't think many others can seperate the episode from the context of the series...Oddly enuff though "Meer" is functionally better than the final episode of GSD, but so was the final episode of Super Milk Chan xD...
Old 2006-08-14, 23:34   Link #105
4Tran

This is going horribly offtopic, but even without watching it, I would venture to say that the last episode of Super Milk-chan is probably better than the vast majority of Gundam TV shows as well.

More on topic, "Meer" is actually a good example of the kind of episode that I wish future Gundam shows will be comfortable with creating.
Old 2006-08-15, 05:58   Link #106
tyranimo
Sue me, Why don't you?

Send a message via AIM to tyranimo
Argh!

Simply can't wait!

hehehe.
tyranimo is offline   Reply With Quote