AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-21, 11:30   Link #241
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Sneaking in a line that's funny for everyone, and that any anime viewers would likely pick up on, is a good way to bait them out.

I don't like talking about anime much irl though.
Old 2009-04-21, 13:26   Link #242
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

no i dont anymore. most pp would just view me as a freak and i dont wanna get harassed. yeah i got no guts, i would just remain as a closet fan

a huge bunch of pp over my area who watch animes, pretty much talk all about that the whole dam time. they even stick anime artwork on their notepads and decals on their laptops. they even wore anime shirts to college wth, no offence but that is scary

once i declare, whole bunch of other pp will start to generalising. and the geek bonding is insanely strong, i would probably be pulled over during breaks and raped by their endless conversation
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 00:35   Link #243
HorribleTruth
Good luck.

Not usually.
A friend told me if he ever saw an anime girl pillow in my house, he would push me down a flight of stairs. I agreed that would probably be best.
HorribleTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 02:16   Link #244
Solafighter
Hige

By reading some posts, it sounds like, we are in a secret organisation.

Greetings to the FBI, btw.
Old 2009-04-22, 03:03   Link #245
5cm.per.second
SunnyEnvironmentGoneWrong

I tell people if it comes up, but just randomly listing off interests to strangers isn't my style. I have a backpack with one of Radical Edward's smiley-hacker-faces on it and a Ghost.in.the.Shell messenger bag so I'm easy to spot to other anime fans.
5cm.per.second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 12:40   Link #246
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
If I get asked or the topic of conversation shifts to it, I suppose?
It's just something I like to watch now and then, so I don't see why not to tell o.o I'm not ashamed or anything to tell.

But it is a minority interest, so I don't need to chew someone's ear off about something he/she doesn't know. I don't start to talk about desperate housewives or the like, too, to people, since most don't watch it XD
I don't talk much about anime face to face, anyway. I do have friends who watch it, too - I got into it because of my best friend in the first place - but there are a lot of other things to talk about: like studies, the latest rumors, where to go in the weekend and what an a*hole the ex of a friend is etc.

We do exchange opinions about animes, and recommend some to the other occasionally, though. ... but we also chat while we watch 'Grey's Anatomy' XD It's just one of the many media after all

... I also go crying to my best friend, when I get spoiled without wanting it XD (meaning I send her "OMG I got spoilered AGAIN in Naruto! x_X" a second after it happened in msn)
She knows ALL my misery lol ... no matter how small

Edit: Is getting 'spoiled' the right term anyway? XD I don't know how to say I passively got to know a spoiler
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 13:27   Link #247
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorribleTruth View Post
Not usually.
A friend told me if he ever saw an anime girl pillow in my house, he would push me down a flight of stairs. I agreed that would probably be best.
If I ever found myself sleeping on an anime pillow, I would probably throw myself down a flight of stairs.

(No offense to you anime merchandise collecters out there, just personal preference to stick with DVDs.)
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 03:50   Link #248
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
None of my friends Know my family does but they dont care cause my nephews gotten hooked on it but they got school rumble and few yugioh dvd
Old 2009-04-24, 07:29   Link #249
blewin

yeah, I do, and people don't mind at all, but then I don't tell EVERYONE. Just people I'm friends with.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 09:13   Link #250
Claymore Slash

I used to put up anime posters and decorate with anime figurines in my office. It's such a big part of me that it's useless to try to hide. Fortunately I haven't encountered any unpleasant events due to my love for anime. Actually I was able to make friends quickly through this common interest. =)
Claymore Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 15:30   Link #251
Shadow Kira01

No. People who don't like anime will not like anime even if you are very convincing or persuasive. Since it is ineffective and that it is pointless, I won't even bother trying..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:00   Link #252
Xacual

If people ask me my hobbies, I'll be completely honest and say that I watch a lot of anime. If they gave me weird looks or something, I wouldn't even care. I'm pretty firmly of the mind that someone's interests, unless harmful or malevolent in some way, are just part of who someone is and no one else should really have the right to discriminate based on them.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:14   Link #253
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
No. People who don't like anime will not like anime even if you are very convincing or persuasive. Since it is ineffective and that it is pointless, I won't even bother trying..
You're generalizing people just as bad as the people who dismiss anime are generalizing the medium.

Not everyone's a brick wall, some people have misconceptions or conceptions based on just a few series, and dislike anime because they think it's all the same. (Often like Pokemon, Dragonball or Naruto.)

Many people are willing to change if you give them reason to, it is by no means pointless. (I don't personally consider it a worthwhile use of my time, though, if people dislike it, even for false reasons, I have no inclination to change their mind.)
Old 2009-04-24, 18:31   Link #254
-Kh-
ポルカ

I only tell people that have a minimum knowledge of anime.

For example:

- If said person knows about videogames, and has ever played a JRPG, then they are most likely to know about Japanese shows, even if they not know anime as it is.

- They like comics, liked cartoons, and probably at least know what DBZ, Pokemon and Naruto are.

In this two scenarios, I usually just comment my liking for Japanese entertainment in general (which is totally true) and add a little part about Anime while naming a couple of mainstream series and movies (Akira, Ghost in the Shell).

If they follow up, then I try to take the conversation deeper into anime, if not, then that's when the topic ends.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 05:59   Link #255
Amray

Practically everyone I know knows that I watch anime. Why should they not? It is not as though it is a guilty pleasure or anything, it is just an interest of mine; just like Drum and Bass and running.

The Rebecca Miyamoto keyring that hangs on my college messenger bag indicates my anime fandom well too.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 22:46   Link #256
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Pretty much.

Or I open my laptop and watch an episode of Lucky Star 6, 12, 16, Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuutsu (any episode) or play Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou (fighting game) or the Lucky Star dating sim.
Old 2009-04-26, 22:58   Link #257
Craymel

Since I've mustered up the courage to tell people I like

admitting that I like watching anime in my spare time seems like nothing.
Old 2009-04-27, 03:27   Link #258
Paul Doe

I don't talk about it unless asked, and generally I say that I like cartoons and animation :P
Paul Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 08:43   Link #259
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

No, I usually don't tell anyone I watch anime, but I don't hide the fact I do (because my wallpaper is usually a anime wallpaper or something.)

Also, I list it as my interest on Facebook and tweet about it something, if it does matter.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:17   Link #260
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I do but I only tell them I watch cool looking shows like FMA,deathnote,darker than black etc. I never tell people I watch cute or ecchi anime shows it would ruin my image