AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-11, 00:16   Link #441
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
Did QB raise a flag for Mami to be revived?

He said it doesn't matter if your body bleeds out, crushed, dies, etc. So long as you have magic you can recover, provided your Soul Gem is intact. Was Mami's Soul Gem destroyed? If not than couldn't they tech revive her if they charge her Soul Gem?
I thought this, too, but then realized Mami's soul gem was apparently in her hair, as an ornament. The witch bit her head off, and it seemed like it chewed, so it could have destroyed the gem in the process.

But it is a fascinating idea, the idea that an MG could technically survive their head being removed. They'd just need some magic to put it back together.

In fact the more I hear of this, the sweeter the deal is. So not only do I get magical powers that allow me to do all sorts of incredible stuff, but my body is nigh indestructible? Sweet!
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:17   Link #442
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:

He said it doesn't matter if your body bleeds out, crushed, dies, etc. So long as you have magic you can recover, provided your Soul Gem is intact. Was Mami's Soul Gem destroyed? If not than couldn't they tech revive her if they charge her Soul Gem?
Possible, might depend whether her Soul Gem becomes her hairpin and how digestible it is. Money's still on no revival, but the door just reopened a bit.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:18   Link #443
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:

Only if they can hack their way back into Charlotte's realm somehow. Really it seems to me like Mami will stay dead despite QB's words. As some support to this, consider Homura's words about a MG "dying" in a witch realm being lost forever. This may be like a "true" death for a MG.

Or perhaps Mami's soul gem overtime in Charlotte's realm will fill with darkness and she will become a witch or some other horrid fate. Wouldn't that be a kicker?

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:23   Link #444
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Sekirei07: I have pondered about this as well. However, given both the fact that our scenario writer is Urobuchi Gen and the fact that Mami's physical body carcass is a total loss in an alternate reality marble, I felt that, in the order of likelihood,

1. Mami has served her purpose in the story and will not be revived.
2. Mami will return as a witch or some sort of abomination.
3. Mami will manifest herself using the body of another human being.
4. Mami will return as she were.

One cannot be sure if Mami's soul gem did indeed survived the ordeal, nor do we know of the mechanism of body repair via magic. The exact nature of the interaction between the body and the Phylactery (soul gem) is also not fully explained, so this is about as far as one can speculate at the moment.

*The implication of a Phylactery taking over another body would be fascinating however.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:44   Link #445
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I thought this, too, but then realized Mami's soul gem was apparently in her hair, as an ornament. The witch bit her head off, and it seemed like it chewed, so it could have destroyed the gem in the process.

But it is a fascinating idea, the idea that an MG could technically survive their head being removed. They'd just need some magic to put it back together.

In fact the more I hear of this, the sweeter the deal is. So not only do I get magical powers that allow me to do all sorts of incredible stuff, but my body is nigh indestructible? Sweet!
Er... not nigh indestructible dude, tougher than normal human yes with easy repair. But it's pretty clear beheading voids the warranty
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:50   Link #446
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Er... not nigh indestructible dude, tougher than normal human yes with easy repair. But it's pretty clear beheading voids the warranty
Not necessarily. Perhaps Mami simply doesn't have the magical power to perform such a feat as reattach head. I mean all of the other scenarios QB described would be certain death as well, but as long as your soul gem is intact and within 100 meters it wouldn't seem unfathomable to say they could recover from ANY injury with the requisite magical power.

Old 2011-02-11, 01:31   Link #447
Sekirei07

Wait, wasn't Homura also swallowed by that Witch during the fight? She might have pulled Mami's Soul Gem out during that time.
Old 2011-02-11, 01:36   Link #448
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Possibly. Mami is a bit of a special case because her soul gem was on her head. It could be argued that, in biting her head off and swallowing, the witched destroyed the gem.

Even still, you can pretty much destroy every other part of the body and regenerate it with magic.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 01:39   Link #449
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Wait, wasn't Homura also swallowed by that Witch during the fight? She might have pulled Mami's Soul Gem out during that time.
Then Homuhomu is being pretty dickish about not telling any one. Plus, without the body nearby it probably wouldn't matter anyway as the body isn't there to repair and house the soul.

Old 2011-02-11, 01:50   Link #450
Sekirei07

The Gems house the soul, magic power is just needed to reconstruct a body. So long as the soul gem is intact I assume a new body could be made from scratch given the right amount of magic is provided.

I can see why Homura would hide Mami's soul gem, she doesn't want her to be involved anymore and Mami almost got Madoka to join them
Old 2011-02-11, 01:54   Link #451
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The thought of Mami in her Phylactery, begging Homura to let her act instead of watching everything that has happened is unsettling. Of course, she might not remember all that have transpired after her defeat...

this is too much a whimsical musing to be called serious speculation, but alas...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 01:54   Link #452
PzIVf3

So this Walpurgisnacht the giant dark nightmare figure from start of the episode?
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 02:02   Link #453
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
The thought of Mami in her Phylactery, begging Homura to let her act instead of watching everything that has happened is unsettling. Of course, she might not remember all that have transpired after her defeat...
It may also be possible for Homura to wake her up/save her herself, and she might not want kyuubey wringing more pain from mami.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 02:06   Link #454
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
The Gems house the soul, magic power is just needed to reconstruct a body. So long as the soul gem is intact I assume a new body could be made from scratch given the right amount of magic is provided.

I can see why Homura would hide Mami's soul gem, she doesn't want her to be involved anymore and Mami almost got Madoka to join them
I would love to see just to what extent this magical regeneration means. Although it may be too gruesome for TV.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 02:07   Link #455
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
So this Walpurgisnacht the giant dark nightmare figure from start of the episode?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night#Germany

That's probably what's being referred to. Wouldn't surprise me if on this occasion witch barriers and the outside world merged directly, leading to tons of people getting killed (and consequently, lots of Grief Seeds to harvest for any mahoshojo who can handle the battle).

Maybe the giant witch arrives on Walpurgis Night, who knows.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 02:10   Link #456
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think the real question is whether the Soul Gem even requires the original body or if any body would do.

Makes the cat make a lot more sense if the latter.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 02:11   Link #457
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
I would love to see just to what extent this magical regeneration means. Although it may be too gruesome for TV.
Nah, Japan can handle it. Ever watch Baccano?

Heck, if anything it probably would be like an FMA human transmutation if all the source materials for humans are required for revival. I just got gruesome visions of a failed Mami transmutation...

Old 2011-02-11, 02:12   Link #458
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Charlotte had to chew for a bit before Mami's transformation disappeared--I would assume her magic depleted and she died, but without magic do we have a totally black soul gem or something else? Also, would it be harmful for a MG to handle someone else's soul gem? Like body hijacking and such.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 03:25   Link #459
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Charlotte had to chew for a bit before Mami's transformation disappeared--I would assume her magic depleted and she died, but without magic do we have a totally black soul gem or something else? Also, would it be harmful for a MG to handle someone else's soul gem? Like body hijacking and such.
Homura handled Sayaka's.

Another point is that even if homura has mami's soul gem, she needs to 'clear' it first.

gotta make you wonder what the taint does to the soul.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 03:51   Link #460
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Theory: if Homura is really the cat, she has multiple soul gems... cats have 9 lives, you know
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica