Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-05, 19:41   Link #1
UssoKK

Shame by the Mainstream

Hello everyone.

This may seem like an awfully stupid and self-pitying thread, but I'm writing about how really feeling down in the dumps about something anime related. We're studying Japan in my World Studies class, and one of my favorite teachers brought in Barefoot Gen for us to watch. For those that haven't seen it, it's like Grave of the Fireflies + Hiroshima Atom Bombing. I like it, but I was severely hurt when my class (who is Advanced Placement level; i.e supposedly smart) started laughing their heads off at it, and me since they know I like it.

It sounds as if I'm being immature, but I really care what other people thing, like borderline obessive, and them calling it awful, horrid names makes me feel both angry and sad that I love anime at the same time.

I wanted bring Grave of the Fireflies in, but now I'm not so sure...
Old 2004-04-05, 19:53   Link #2
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UssoKK
Hello everyone.

This may seem like an awfully stupid and self-pitying thread, but I'm writing about how really feeling down in the dumps about something anime related. We're studying Japan in my World Studies class, and one of my favorite teachers brought in Barefoot Gen for us to watch. For those that haven't seen it, it's like Grave of the Fireflies + Hiroshima Atom Bombing. I like it, but I was severely hurt when my class (who is Advanced Placement level; i.e supposedly smart) started laughing their heads off at it, and me since they know I like it.

It sounds as if I'm being immature, but I really care what other people thing, like borderline obessive, and them calling it awful, horrid names makes me feel both angry and sad that I love anime at the same time.

You really shouldn't put too much concern into the opinions of others, especially of those who are not familiar with a specific topic anyway. This is your life and you have to lead it your way and the sooner you are able to stand above such situations, the better.
Let them laugh all they want or say whatever they want, you won't be able to change it anyway and the main question would still be: is it even worth the effort to be angry at all? I don't think so as long as you know what's good for you.
over and out^^
Old 2004-04-05, 20:09   Link #3
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Cool

Though I know it is easier said than done, I suggest that you pay no heed to the laughter of these "AP class" people. What qualifies them to have any superior position of opinion over yourself? Nothing. Throughout the world, you will find people with opinions that come outta nowhere and serve only to show their ignorance to the people around them. Hang in there, continue to enjoy our fine media of anime and manga, and take comfort in the fact that ignorant, narrowminded people tend to die off quicker than most who are the opposite.
Old 2004-04-05, 20:23   Link #4
xfordained
you should die

lol ap and ib and laughing is good for the soul
Old 2004-04-05, 20:37   Link #5
Chronissz

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Wait, your classmates laughed at a re-creation of the most atrocious act in all of human history, what kind of sicko's are in your school?

They are laughing at the people who died and suffered in WWII... I dont understand that, why would anyone, anywhere think that is amusing...If I heard a student start laughing while watching that I would smack them upside the head.

That goes beyond peer pressure and "fitting in", If you start acting like that you have lost all hope as a human, you should be glad you arnt like your classmates, thats something to treasure, not to feel sad about.
Old 2004-04-05, 20:48   Link #6
UssoKK

I don't think it was so much the act that was committed, ( we only got to see the first 2 minutes after the bomb dropped), so much as the " Gay Pokemon" art style, that they were laughing at. Also, I didn't laugh of course, but I caught them pointing fingers and snickering at me several times.

I know that their opinion doesn't count, so why am I so anguished about it?
Old 2004-04-05, 21:10   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

they're knuckleheads, don't worry about it
my japanese teacher showed "My Neighbor Totoro" in class once, and it got mixed responses (mostly because people who take japanese, y'know, have something of an interest in the language.)
if your teacher will let you, bring in Grave of the Fireflies, make em suffer for laughing at you
Old 2004-04-05, 21:24   Link #8
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
I don't think it was so much the act that was committed, ( we only got to see the first 2 minutes after the bomb dropped), so much as the " Gay Pokemon" art style, that they were laughing at. Also, I didn't laugh of course, but I caught them pointing fingers and snickering at me several times.

Ohh, i won't deny that it is a natural reaction to be angry but then again you would have to ask yourself if you would rather be on their side, laughing and mocking about "Gay Pokemon" stuff, just for the sake of being part of something bigger, like a group of ignorant fools and part-time sidekicks.
If someone points a finger at me, i energetically wave back, if someone snickers at me i will give him/her an even bigger smile in return and then i will bask in a feeling of indifferent superiority because i'm doing it my way^^
Oooh, BTW sometimes it DOES help kick some people's butts if they are too annoying, but that's just for special effects and advantages in future disputes.
Old 2004-04-05, 21:48   Link #9
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:

Parents love to teach their kids about God and religion, but they seem to forget tolerance and respect. You're probably one of few people in your area, with actual morals, and an insight they lack. I was in an AP class (Asshole Placement) in highschool for english. This was during the time when I was wrapped up in Rurouni Kenshin, and during slient reading, instead of bringing out a novel, I'd bring out a comic. (plus it was helping me with my Japanese class too, so two birds one stone.) And I would get the snickers and laughter, along with an occasional finger-pointing. Which was odd since I live in Southern CA, right next to the Japanese district. I think they saw anime and comics as inferior mediums and thought if someone was reading/enjoying those then in turn makes the person inferior to them. So whenever they would laugh at me or make any comments in my direction, I'd just raise my 100% paper and they would abruptly stop.

I barely lasted a week in that class, because I couldn't stand their attitude towards *everything*. When my teacher asked me why I wanted to leave, I simply said (and infront of the class) "I just need to be around people closer to my intelligence." A comment I know pierced through their fragile little egos, since all activity in the room stopped after I said that.

Anyway, my point is, bring in Grave of the Fireflies, and if they laugh or snicker, fuck them. Since you are superior to them to begin with. Take their comments with stride, you'll only have to deal with them for one class. And bravo for you, for sticking to your guns, it takes more of a man (or woman) to be a shepard then a lamb.
Old 2004-04-05, 22:19   Link #10
UssoKK

Quote:
I don't think it was so much the act that was committed, ( we only got to see the first 2 minutes after the bomb dropped), so much as the " Gay Pokemon" art style, that they were laughing at.

That, by the way, was thier quote and not mine. Tommorow, we will actually get to see the aftermage/carnage, so my friend says that they'll shut up after that. I'll update tommorow- thanks for all your support everyone!
Old 2004-04-05, 22:37   Link #11
Anthias

I must be lucky living in an area where a large percentage of the mainstream people are anime fans Anime is a very large amount of the DVD's on the shelves in any store you go to now. Not even only all the crap!, but it is definitely getting better - can even buy japanese imports off the shelf in some (rare) stores. and get this - Anime is not on the "for kids" shelves anymore! (except the crappy targets that I never go to anyway - even K-Mart has learned!)..... now if only the licences for the US were all available here....

I was talking to a friend of mine - she's a close friend I have known for years, and she told me in confidance she was a huge anime fan - I had never known and she was shocked when I said "so what? so am I!" She looked at my DVD shelf as though she hadn't ever seen it before, and was then happier about herself. Fancy feeling guilty for something like that. Disgracefull how humanity can do that to you.

Now for a very important statement:
ANIME IS VERY VERY COOL _ GO WATCH SOME _ WATCH SOME ANIME RIGHT NOW!
Old 2004-04-05, 22:39   Link #12
TronDD
Team the box!

People are just idiots like that. If they don't want to take it seriously, they won't. People laughed when we watched the video of JFK being assasinated in my history class. That was a real life human being. The teacher said it happens every time.

Anyway, more to the original topic: People are ignorant idiots. They will cling to the already defined ideas and thoughts that are working for them. Thinking anime is stupid or for kids hasn't hurt them in any way that they know of so they are fine with continuing to believe that. As long as they aren't blaming anime for something and trying to force others to not be able to enjoy it, let them continue being stupid.
Old 2004-04-05, 23:25   Link #13
emessen

Quote:

3 reasons

1.) deep down you are ashamed that you watch and enjoy cartoons no matter
how good they are...

2.) no matter what you say... you really do care what other people think about you
and you dont want to be seen as some wierdo

3.) their ignorance pisses you off, and their insensitivty makes you want to ring
their necks... and their haughty condesending attitude makes you want to vomit
cuz they arent in any position to look down on anyone else...
Old 2004-04-05, 23:45   Link #14
Secca
nya`
*Artist

If you trying to inroduce anime, bring Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop movie or Animatrix. This seems more generally approved by people that never seen anime.

If you trying to introduce history, I think there is nothing wrong with bringing Grave of the Fireflies, since it's related to history and it was actually animated quite well.
Old 2004-04-06, 14:08   Link #15
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
baka's guide to introducing anime into the un-anime world: akira , ghost in the shell , lain , ninja scroll , cowboy bebop , azumanga daioh.... use any or all of these and you will surely come out a winner ... if after all this work and good anime they still do not realize what they have witnessed ( :fingers: )
Old 2004-04-06, 17:42   Link #16
Joe Dalton

I think cowboy bebop will be better if you targed an older audience
Old 2004-04-06, 22:42   Link #17
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

This has less to do with anime and more to do with social failings in the world today. I'm going to have to assume you're in highschool, UssoKK? Sounds a lot like highschool to me, those kinds of attitudes don't seem to last long into college, even less so out into the so-called 'real-world'.

Unfortunately, children are encouraged to hate each other, mock each other. It's perfectly fine to psychologically scar someone for life, but heaven forbid you try to knock some sense into an ethnocentric bigot that likes picking on those smaller than himself, or those he knows have been conditioned into not fighting back.

Unfortunately, some people grow up more quickly than others, and they recieve the brunt of the abuse. Your classmates will grow out of it, some of them will probably even get into anime in college (where a surprising number of people first really get into it), some of them will continue to be jerks, bigots, and idiots for the rest of their lives, but they'll probably tone down their behaviour, as the moment they turn 18 they can get into real trouble for stuff they got away with scot-free in highschool.

It's truly a shame to think that your teacher witnessed all of this and did nothing, unfortunately, the way the system works there may not have been a whole lot he could do.
Old 2004-04-07, 09:23   Link #18
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
This has less to do with anime and more to do with social failings in the world today. I'm going to have to assume you're in highschool, UssoKK? Sounds a lot like highschool to me, those kinds of attitudes don't seem to last long into college, even less so out into the so-called 'real-world'.

Unfortunately, children are encouraged to hate each other, mock each other. It's perfectly fine to psychologically scar someone for life, but heaven forbid you try to knock some sense into an ethnocentric bigot that likes picking on those smaller than himself, or those he knows have been conditioned into not fighting back.

Unfortunately, some people grow up more quickly than others, and they recieve the brunt of the abuse. Your classmates will grow out of it, some of them will probably even get into anime in college (where a surprising number of people first really get into it), some of them will continue to be jerks, bigots, and idiots for the rest of their lives, but they'll probably tone down their behaviour, as the moment they turn 18 they can get into real trouble for stuff they got away with scot-free in highschool.

It's truly a shame to think that your teacher witnessed all of this and did nothing, unfortunately, the way the system works there may not have been a whole lot he could do.
Well said. The highschools in the USA are notorious for random elitists coming from every facet of life..and AP classes are home to a lot of them. When I was in high school, i was in several of these classes...adn though they never picked at anime...they were mostly just outright racist and bigots all the way around on any other issue...a "educational cream of the crop" does not factor in the concept of assholes. Worst case scenario, find some really squeamish ones and show them Koroshiya-1..that's be fun.
Old 2004-04-07, 10:46   Link #19
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I say if they're too ignorant to enjoy it, don't bother. Less people clogging up bittorrent and the IRC queues I say.

Besides, they may go from being ignorant people to ignorant anime fans...both are ignorant anyway.
Old 2004-04-07, 17:25   Link #20
UssoKK

The 2nd day we watched it, and saw the impact of the bombing, there were a lot less laughs by the way. Only giggles this time. :P Everyone did bring up a lot of good points, which is making me think of society as a whole now :P. Thanks everyone

As for my teacher, I don't think she saw/heard the ppl laughing, and she wants me to bring "Grave" now. Aside from me and like other ppl (plus my friends), the whole class is pro-bombing of Japan. But that's another thread
Closed Thread