Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-02-14, 04:42   Link #21
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
That's a pretty solid list you got there, though I wouldn't be too sure about the kroot squad.
Just having a single squad of kroot isn't really enough if you want to keep the enemy off your troops.
Plus, you already got devilfish transports for your troops, so keeping the distance will be easier.
If you like to use your kroots, you should get more of them.

But then again, it's just my opinion and I constantly get my butt kicked so you don't really have to listen to me.
Well the Kroot came with the Battle Force so they weren't something I was interested in initially. But you're right, I will probably just end up relying on Tau troops rather than auxiliaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post

P.S Can't you only equip the EMP grenades when using a pulse carbine?
EMP Grenades are standard wargear options, I think you're thinking of the Photon Grenades which are included with the Pulse Carbine from my understanding.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 16:05   Link #22
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

Oooh oooh 40k! I don't get many opportunities to play since I left the UK but I do have a Blood Angels army gathering dust (Space Marines, booooo!) somewhere. I also collect and paint a lot of non-BA models but unfortunately, most of them are in power armour.

I've got some samples of my work, if you'd like to see it:
Captain
Captain from the side, with apologies for bad photography

This one actually sold on eBay for around £30, proceeds going to a good cause. EDIT: I just realised that these are WIP photos I took to show the organiser. I don't seem to have pics of the final on hand so...oops.

Grey Knight Terminator, which I consider to be my first "okay" model.

A little silly project I did with an hour to kill and a lot of coke
From the side
Old 2011-02-18, 04:41   Link #23
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Nice painting, Hourai!

The last of my bitz and paints turned up today. Hopefully I can make a start on my first Fire Warriors over the weekend.

Old 2011-04-10, 06:17   Link #24
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Project is not dead!

Just proceeding a lot slower than I thought.

I kept a record of what I did last weekend and accumulated just under twelve hours under the work light and in that time I only managed to clean, prep and assemble four Fire Warriors...

I must be overly pedantic in cleaning the mold lines and mold defects. Especially the leg armour which in some cases is distorted or missing all together.

To break things up for this weekend I put my Fire Warriors aside and started on a XV25 Stealth Team.

I've nearly got everything cleaned up, just need to green stuff some bad seems on the armour then it's assembly time.

Although I'm still trying to think of some poses for them rather than the default ones. Maybe some XV25's on the trot...

Old 2011-04-10, 11:08   Link #25
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Tabletop-wise, I've stopped collecting the miniatures due to the exorbitant cost. Since I'm literally across the globe from where the hobby originates, the import cost of getting the miniatures is extremely high.

I tentatively started about more than 10 years ago (wow, it's been that long?) when they were just starting to transition to 3rd Edition rules. I knew very little about tabletop games, but I knew that the miniatures were just about the most awesome things ever.

During that time, most miniatures were still pewter, and the cost reflected it. A single Space Marine Terminator cost S$12-17 dollars depending on model type. An entire squad's cost could literally feed me for a month... comfortably.

A pewter Dreadnought was, and I can still see the price tag burnt into my retinas, S$80. Oh how much I desired for it, but seriously... as much as I love the lore and fun behind WH40K, it's not to the extent where I'll live on bread and water for it.

Building my Space Wolves' "Platoon" (because a whole company would require robbery) took ages. I really love them and their lore though, and it saddens me that outside of multiplayer, Relic has not produced a game for them yet.

Fortunately, due to my proximity to Japan, painting was not an issue, and I really enjoyed painting them to life.

So that was then.

I still have the miniatures, but I have decided that the cost to fun ratio was too high to justify and have decided instead to worship at the Altar of Relic and their awesomely fabulous rendering of the WH40K world via PC gaming.

Tabletop gaming is not dead dead entirely here, but most of the shops have either stopped stocking for it or closed down. It has become a very, VERY niche market here (the cost does not help either). Anybody who wants to tabletop seriously here would need to purchase their miniatures from the Internet and be prepared to hand over their bank account to the game company.

Cheers.
Old 2011-04-11, 20:36   Link #26
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Gameswork Shop prices are very high, they honestly rip you off.

You know if you worked as a Staff member, you get 50% discount, if you did "metal orders" you could get parts metal/plastic with 75% off the retail price.
Old 2011-04-12, 03:09   Link #27
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post

You know if you worked as a Staff member, you get 50% discount, if you did "metal orders" you could get parts metal/plastic with 75% off the retail price.
Well if I buy from the UK with the dollar so high it's basically 50% off what I'd normally have to pay anyway!

I buy the odd model from my local store since the bloke there is a nice fellow and it's always good to get the model when you want it.

When I first did the sums of my buy up of figures I figured out with would have cost me another 35% at least to buy the same items in Australia.

As for the cost overall, last year I spent just over $8000 on a rifle which I might use a couple of hours a month if I'm lucky. If I can spent $1000 on models that keep me off the computer/consoles and busy for the better part of a year, it's a good trade.

Old 2014-01-31, 11:39   Link #28
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is impressive.

Check Out This Amazing Warhammer 40K Collection from Korea
Old 2014-02-01, 03:26   Link #29
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post

For games using miniatures, times are changing:

Warhammer at War: How Home 3D Printers Are Disrupting Miniature Gaming:

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/452...iature-gaming/

3D Printed Games Workshop Warhammer Figures:

http://www.printers3d.com/3d-printer...warhammer.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 23:09   Link #30
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Tabletop-wise, I've stopped collecting the miniatures due to the exorbitant cost. Since I'm literally across the globe from where the hobby originates, the import cost of getting the miniatures is extremely high.

I tentatively started about more than 10 years ago (wow, it's been that long?) when they were just starting to transition to 3rd Edition rules. I knew very little about tabletop games, but I knew that the miniatures were just about the most awesome things ever.

During that time, most miniatures were still pewter, and the cost reflected it. A single Space Marine Terminator cost S$12-17 dollars depending on model type. An entire squad's cost could literally feed me for a month... comfortably.

A pewter Dreadnought was, and I can still see the price tag burnt into my retinas, S$80. Oh how much I desired for it, but seriously... as much as I love the lore and fun behind WH40K, it's not to the extent where I'll live on bread and water for it.

Building my Space Wolves' "Platoon" (because a whole company would require robbery) took ages. I really love them and their lore though, and it saddens me that outside of multiplayer, Relic has not produced a game for them yet.

Fortunately, due to my proximity to Japan, painting was not an issue, and I really enjoyed painting them to life.

So that was then.

I still have the miniatures, but I have decided that the cost to fun ratio was too high to justify and have decided instead to worship at the Altar of Relic and their awesomely fabulous rendering of the WH40K world via PC gaming.

Tabletop gaming is not dead dead entirely here, but most of the shops have either stopped stocking for it or closed down. It has become a very, VERY niche market here (the cost does not help either). Anybody who wants to tabletop seriously here would need to purchase their miniatures from the Internet and be prepared to hand over their bank account to the game company.

Cheers.
there's one shop in Funan actually...God knows how they survive...
Old 2014-02-02, 05:10   Link #31
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I've always wanted to try WH, but it's to damn expensive, would help if there was somewhere to play it around here to. Isn't Warmachine(?) supposed to be much cheaper, with less power creep from what I've heard as well. I've just been playing DoW to get my fix mostly, although it lacks to same... tactile connection to the army.
Old 2014-02-02, 09:19   Link #32
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I've always wanted to try WH, but it's to damn expensive, would help if there was somewhere to play it around here to. Isn't Warmachine(?) supposed to be much cheaper, with less power creep from what I've heard as well. I've just been playing DoW to get my fix mostly, although it lacks to same... tactile connection to the army.
Warhammer is expensive when compared to model kits, but as entertainment it's not more expensive than say, a console, collecting anime or MTG. Ebay is a great way to make WH a lot cheaper.

Warmachine (and Hordes) is from Privateer Press. Great game, in terms of rule set, quite a bit better balanced than WFB and WH40k. Models are slightly cheaper and as a skirmish game army sizes tend to be smaller.

Alternatively for an anime influence there is Infinity from Corvus Belli, another very solid skirmish game rules wise.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 18:14   Link #33
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Ahhh man, it's been a couple of years. I happened to get the first Warhammer 40k game with a bundle pack for the original game I wanted (Company of Heroes) the moment I played it I fell in love with it. Dark Crusades though, when it introduced the Necrons, I knew that was my army

After learning about the Table Top game I began buying the rather expensive figures. I had a good estimate of Necron warriors, some Flayed Ones, The Nightbringer, some Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers, a Scarab Crab and a few others that I can't remember

I played a few games, but the store was so far away that I would maybe get taught and learn to play once a month since my parents had to take me. Those were fun days when I was familiar with what on earth my units were haha. I've recently looked at all the new Necron units and I think to myself "What on Earth is that?" to a lot of them haha, i'm glad I started out with the units I was familiar with thanks to the game, but I don't really have the time nor money for them anymore
Old 2014-02-04, 21:16   Link #34
magnum12

I run Imperial Guard and World Eaters.

Can't wait for the rumored Guard book that's rumored to be coming out this April (or May).

This is the list I run (2000 points):

Spoiler for for size reasons:

Last edited by magnum12; 2014-02-04 at 21:37.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 11:15   Link #35
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum12 View Post
I run Imperial Guard and World Eaters.

Can't wait for the rumored Guard book that's rumored to be coming out this April (or May).

This is the list I run (2000 points):

Spoiler for for size reasons:
Wait, we're getting another book????
Old 2014-02-06, 15:35   Link #36
magnum12

Current intel says yes, yes we are. The usual life cycle of a codex is about 5-7 years.

Last edited by magnum12; 2014-02-06 at 15:49.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 16:47   Link #37
Bri

The question is, do you want a new one. My poor Tyranids haven't quite recovered from the shock.
Old 2014-02-06, 19:11   Link #38
magnum12

Given that based on current intel the author is Jeremy Vetock (who's previous works have been consistently good), I'm pretty excited.

Don't be so blue. The 6th edition Nid book is a considerable step above the last one. This is the 1st time that Biovores are playable (they're actually quite good now, especially that Tau and Eldar are everywhere). Biomancy is gone, but the new nid powers are pretty solid. They can FINALLY use fortifications (a nid Quad Gun is a good conversion project). Hive Tyrants and Carnifexes got significantly cheaper. Venom cannons lost their penalty to damage rolls against vehicles. Venonthropes are worth taking. Hormagaunts are much faster moving now. All and all, its different but I do see potential.
Old 2014-02-06, 20:22   Link #39
Bri

The 6th edition for Nids still contains the same basic flaw that made the 5th edition a terrible book in comparison to 3rd and 4th: the book forces very similar builds with little customization options.

In addition the need for synapse severely limits army mobility on the board.

It's possible to make a competitive list with the best units, but unfortunately 1/3 of the units are gak and another 1/3 will never be used due to slot congestion and synapse requirements.
Old 2014-02-20, 11:49   Link #40
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here is a funny series of videos where the Emperor of Mankind is able to speak again after 10,000 years. Let's just say he is "very disappointed".

Very funny to watch.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube