AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2021-06-19, 22:17   Link #21
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I miss isekai stories back when the main goal is to have great adventure and present a sprawling & compelling characters & world to follow (eg. Magic Knight Rayearth, Escaflowne, El Hazard, Aura Battler Dunbine, The 12 Kingdoms, etc).

These days, most Isekai anime are either used for wish-fulfillment & self-masturbatory purposes using RPG game mechanics (where you can read status & all that shit) and collect waifus; or used as a backdrop for comedy.

I miss the sincere & awe-inspiring isekai stories.
I wish people would stop using the term "Wish-fulfillment" like it's some pejorative or serious condemnation. The vast majority of fiction is wish-fulfillment. It's not really a matter of whether it lets you vicariously live a fantasy that plays to some personal desires. It's a matter of whether you relate to those desires or not, whether you find them cool or pathetic, and of course whether the author was skilled enough to create a story and setting compelling enough to make it a fun ride. Admittedly, there are enough people who either don't have enough skill to do this to everyone's satisfaction or don't care enough to apply that skill (basically slap together popular ideas to make a quick buck).

That said, this series has nothing to do with that. It's not about a guy in another world, it's about a guy who's trying to take care of a relative who spent years in another world while comatose here, and now has no skills applicable to modern work, and no experience with modern technology or society. I'd say it's more of a parody, looking at how a guy as messed up as common protagonists are supposed to be would really have turned out in such a place.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-20, 00:50   Link #22
The Green One

Yeah.... this one is a bit. How shall we say, "different". I didn't expect to see this get a show, but hey the manga was fun, maybe I"ll watch a few episodes.

But yeah as BWTraveller said without giving away spoilers and getting bonked by the Mod Bat this one is a parody.
Old 2021-06-20, 07:47   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I wish people would stop using the term "Wish-fulfillment" like it's some pejorative or serious condemnation. The vast majority of fiction is wish-fulfillment. It's not really a matter of whether it lets you vicariously live a fantasy that plays to some personal desires. It's a matter of whether you relate to those desires or not, whether you find them cool or pathetic, and of course whether the author was skilled enough to create a story and setting compelling enough to make it a fun ride. Admittedly, there are enough people who either don't have enough skill to do this to everyone's satisfaction or don't care enough to apply that skill (basically slap together popular ideas to make a quick buck).
I'm not talking about "wish-fulfillment" in the broadest of sense. Just the typical ones done by recent Isekai anime after SAO which marketed specifically to hardcore otakus.

I don't know about others, but for me, it's kinda easy to detect wish-fulfillment isekai shows by checking whether or not they contain most of the following points:
Spoiler for saving space for TLDR:
Of course, not all of them are bad. Once in a while, I get unexpected gems like Log Horizon, Grimgar, Bookworm & Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise which still able to give me the sincere & earnest storytelling and sprawling world & characters despite having one or two elements above.

Anyway, I'm glad when I heard that this Ojisan manga is not like that. Then again, the synopsis still falls within the other isekai category that I previously mentioned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
...or used as a backdrop for comedy.
Which is not necessarily bad. It just depends on the execution.
Old 2021-06-20, 17:39   Link #24
The Green One

Humor is a bit more subjective, the comedy in this will either hit all the right notes or it'll be swing and a miss.
Old 2021-06-20, 19:09   Link #25
nojay
Scanlator

I will be interested to see how this manga is adapted to animation -- the art style is very pencil-style and messy to the point of obfuscation. I suppose we'll get an idea when the first PVs are released.
Old 2021-06-21, 11:38   Link #26
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
I will be interested to see how this manga is adapted to animation -- the art style is very pencil-style and messy to the point of obfuscation. I suppose we'll get an idea when the first PVs are released.
I'm expecting CGI.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 18:00   Link #27
Pierre

can someone spoiler tag tell me how this goes (im kind of hoping something goes well for the uncle at the end), I like the concept, this is basically a satire on Isekai because even though the MC, or co MC end up having all the "wish fulfillment" powers etc, OP, harem etc, due to him being from a "pre generic isekai" world he either missed all the cues or had everything go against him. Reminds me of Tsubaki, with MC being like Makato, if everything after the prologue went against him.

Regarding humor if you like stuff like Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei or Konosuba, you will like this, satire/parody.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-29, 11:04   Link #28
Chosen_Hero

Saw Escaflowne recently because I have been hearing for a while about how great it is as an Isekai and a mecha show and boy did I hate it.

But I see that the Isekai genre is still scrapping the bottom of the barrel, I wasn't expecting Ugly Bastard Uncle to be the next trend. Personally was expecting them to go with the one where the MC reincarnates as an Onsen.
Old 2021-06-29, 13:12   Link #29
EroKing
Version Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
can someone spoiler tag tell me how this goes
Spoilers
Spoiler for Big spoiler
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2021-06-30, 14:20   Link #30
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Saw Escaflowne recently because I have been hearing for a while about how great it is as an Isekai and a mecha show and boy did I hate it.

But I see that the Isekai genre is still scrapping the bottom of the barrel, I wasn't expecting Ugly Bastard Uncle to be the next trend. Personally was expecting them to go with the one where the MC reincarnates as an Onsen.
You already said that. Seriously, if you hate the genre so much why are you bothering coming to these threads simply to say "this sucks, like all the others sucked". Wouldn't your time be better spent going to threads on series in genres you love and brag about how unbelievably innovative and creative they are?

This's no masterpiece, but it's entertaining and gives an interesting look at how a real typical otaku would fare in a typical idealized fantasy world, from how his social problems would hinder the stereotypical romantic potential to how his ugly face would be taken in a world full of typically idealized beauties. Again, not some spectacular masterpiece, but still entertaining and amusing. But yeah, probably not something that would be appreciated by a person who thinks that Escaflowne sucked.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-30, 21:15   Link #31
Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for Big spoiler
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This from what I know is only around ch 34 in the manga, and pretty sure most forums have spoilers in them (heck every isekai thread starts with , does this meet the three rules), is this like you cant cross media or something, because if that's the case its kind of stupid. If there is a manga thread for this Id gladly go there, but couldn't find one.

Also people need to stop making snap judgement calls on a ten second blurb and a few images, no this is not scraping the bottom of the barrel. Its satire, and one that's done pretty dam well, only thing scrapping the bottom of the barrel is your intellect.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-01, 14:58   Link #32
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Do you really have to say that every time there's a new show in or loosely connected to the isekai genre? There's plenty of great isekai, and I'd say most that I've seen are at least good, though admittedly one of the worst anime I ever saw was one. That said, isekai is far broader than just the OP harem protagonist who saves the world (though again even those are often at least fair). And this one is several steps removed from just about everything people complain about with the genre. It's not about a guy in another world, it's about a guy trying to take care of a guy who spent seventeen years trying to survive in another world. Far as I've read there's not even really any mention of him having saved the world; he has powers, but that's hardly the point of the story.
He may have save the world at some point. We don't know. There's a chance he doesn't know either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
can someone spoiler tag tell me how this goes (im kind of hoping something goes well for the uncle at the end),
What end? He came back from the other world. You could say that's "the end", but it's the beginning of the series.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-23, 13:12   Link #33
LG-MAX 2.o

Spoiler for visual:

official site: https://isekaiojisan.com/
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote