AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-27, 06:14   Link #28561
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
U.S. Entertainment industry wants to legalize the use of harmful computer viruses to punish internet piracy:
http://boingboing.net/2013/05/26/us-...stry-to-c.html
Oh my God, what the hell?

That's all I can say about...that.
Old 2013-05-27, 06:42   Link #28562
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

In China, food scares put Mao's self-sufficiency goal at risk
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94L17J20130522

German brewers warn fracking could hurt beer industry
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94M0NE20130523
Old 2013-05-27, 09:26   Link #28563
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
In China, food scares put Mao's self-sufficiency goal at risk
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94L17J20130522
Finally. I was wondering how long they can keep destroying farmland and turn them into office blocks, before people start to feel the consequences.

China NEED farmland. They don't think they do, but they do. But they didn't realise the consequences until now. Food security is a matter of national importance, and finally there are warning signs.
Old 2013-05-27, 09:34   Link #28564
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Finally. I was wondering how long they can keep destroying farmland and turn them into office blocks, before people start to feel the consequences.

China NEED farmland. They don't think they do, but they do. But they didn't realise the consequences until now. Food security is a matter of national importance, and finally there are warning signs.
They can always buy farmland from Africa.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:01   Link #28565
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:

China has 1/4 of U.S's farmland but 4 time the population. Even if China DE-industrize they still will struggle to feed the people. China need "office block" aka apartment buildings more too. People need roofs over their heads, and if everyone have a subhurb house like America, China will run out of space in no time.

You really need to understand China before making these silly comments.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:03   Link #28566
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They can always buy farmland from Africa.
But seriously, I have been reading about reports of productive land being turned into industrial zones before the collapse of the Soviet Union. This has been going on for decades. Local governments in China just don't care about the big picture, they just want more money than what farmers can provide. And by the way it is going there is going to be a shortage of edible food, leading to increase food prices. THAT can cause the government to panic.

Quote:
China has 1/4 of U.S's farmland but 4 time the population. Even if China DE-industrize they still will struggle to feed the people. China need "office block" aka apartment buildings more too. People need roofs over their heads, and if everyone have a subhurb house like America, China will run out of space in no time.
There is no shortage of homes. There is a shortage of housing in cities, but that is not where the farmland is. I am talking about rural areas being turned into factories and empty apartment-blocks. By all means, build more in the cities. But you got to save the farmland.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:03   Link #28567
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
They can always buy farmland from America.
It is funny how American farmers are all pro-free trade with China, when they found out there are chinese buyers lined up around the block for their rice.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:10   Link #28568
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
It is funny how American farmers are all pro-free trade with China, when they found out there are chinese buyers lined up around the block for their rice.
I thought they are buying farming technology instead of the goods.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-27, 14:00   Link #28569
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Dispute between Taiwan and the Philippines

I realized just today how quickly the dispute between Taiwan and the Philippines had fallen off the front pages of the world's newspapers. I did read this Western perspective in the International Herald Tribune which reports the views of two Western observers. One points disapprovingly to "Han chauvinists," for whom "an apology from the president of the Philippines is not enough. The Filipinos must grovel, be reminded that they, like Malays generally, are the serfs of the region." The other commentator downplays Han chauvinism and focuses on the domestic Taiwanese political situation stressing "local legislators’ political ambitions in fishermen’s constituencies, as well as opposition parties’ efforts to criticize [President] Ma no matter what he does, especially at a time when he is vulnerable.”

To this Western observer, the key sticking point described in the article is Taiwan's demand for a formal state apology from the Philippines. This puts the Philippines, an adherent of the "one-China" policy, in a difficult diplomatic box. I did a quick search to see how other military or, as in this case, quasi-military disputes with Taiwan have been resolved so far. In January, 2006, a Taiwanese fisherman in the "Philippines Sea" was killed by men dressed in military uniforms. They were suspected of being pirates, and the Philippines' defense ministry claimed none of its units were in the area. If there were other cases in the past decade where Taiwanese fishermen were killed or injured by Philippine forces I cannot find them. I do see articles about Taiwanese fishing ships being seized by the Philippine Coast Guard, but none about their occupants being shot. I also don't see any indication that there has ever been a state-level exchange over events like these.

I must say I can understand why someone might think "Han chauvinism" could be a real political force after reading this reply in the Comments section to the article. I'll refrain from reposting that racist piece of trash here.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-05-27 at 14:37.
Old 2013-05-27, 14:07   Link #28570
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

The Philippines could put this incident to complete rest by releasing the video.
Old 2013-05-27, 15:39   Link #28571
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

A lot of recent posts have been moved to a new thread here, and I must ask that all related discussion follows accordingly.
Old 2013-05-27, 18:09   Link #28572
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I thought they are buying farming technology instead of the goods.
Wouldn't they be likely to be buying both?
Old 2013-05-27, 19:56   Link #28573
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I realized just today how quickly the dispute between Taiwan and the Philippines had fallen off the front pages of the world's newspapers.
It's pretty much fallen off the front page of everyone's newspapers, even in TW and PHL, not much to /rage about now that they've finally agreed to cooperate with the investigation.

A lot of it is really just caused by internal pressure from both sides. Philippines was just days away from their election, and their president runs on his tough foreign policy platform, while Taiwan had to assert itself due to both their president's low approval rating and how PHL's lackluster response was perceived by the public. I've written about it earlier in this thread, but suffice to say the PHL government really shot itself in the foot when it came to its response to the incident, especially initially - denying the claim never looks good, even if you admit it later, and publicly invoking the one-china policy as your response to Taiwan is always going to piss them off.

Basically, the PHL government's handling of the incident was about as good as Microsoft's Xbone reveal

The "han chauvinist" bit is just nonsense, that's something you're more likely to see from China, and one really shouldn't draw any conclusion from internet comments sections about, well, anything other than people are a**holes

Meanwhile....

Man accused of killing elderly couple, sexually assaulting 2-year-old in Alaska

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/27/us...html?hpt=hp_t3

"Active had previously been convicted of sexual assault that involved an 11-year-old child, Markiewicz said."

What a good thing that we were able to rehabilitate him (in such a short time!) and released him to be a worthwhile member of the society
Old 2013-05-27, 23:27   Link #28574
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
The "han chauvinist" bit is just nonsense, that's something you're more likely to see from China, and one really shouldn't draw any conclusion from internet comments sections about, well, anything other than people are a**holes
Yeah, frankly IMO any Taiwanese that still cared about the "Han" connection probably still haven't gotten over Chiang's brainwashing. I still have an old but amusing Taiwanese book of maps in my home library; in it, the map, originally printed in the West, specifically denies that Mongolia had gotten their independence, and had the audacity of inserting a "corrected" version of the map in the back.

That's right. Chiang's Henchmen didn't just have the Audacity of claiming China was a part of Taiwan, they also denied that Mongolia had the right to get their own nation.

When I was a child, I didn't understand why the "correction" was there. Not until a decade later did I understood how silly it was. Dictator's privilege, I guess.
Old 2013-05-28, 01:40   Link #28575
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If there were other cases in the past decade where Taiwanese fishermen were killed or injured by Philippine forces I cannot find them.
I think I saw something floating around about an encounter with Philippine Police, but it was only ever mentioned in one article floating online and the case never really amounted to anything.

Though it was years ago, I think.

Philippine TV last I saw was paying a lot of attention to this still, focusing on Filipino workers being attacked in Taiwan.
Old 2013-05-28, 02:45   Link #28576
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Philippine TV last I saw was paying a lot of attention to this still, focusing on Filipino workers being attacked in Taiwan.
So far I'very seen one confirmed case of it, with the perpetrators caught couple days later. There was a big dust up with store refusing to sell to Filipinos, mostly because it turned out to be a hoax, with a reporter fired and a TV exec resigning because of it.
Old 2013-05-28, 03:06   Link #28577
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Yeah, frankly IMO any Taiwanese that still cared about the "Han" connection probably still haven't gotten over Chiang's brainwashing.
I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding here. The "Han" connection has more to do with ethnic identity rather than Taiwanese nationalism. The Chinese, regardless of whether they are from the mainland or the wider international diaspora, generally identify themselves as Han (the Cantonese also self-identify as Tong-yen, literally, "people of the Tang [dynasty]").

The commentator quoted in the IHT story was referring to the collective ethnic chauvinism of the Chinese. That has little to do with national "brainwashing". It's more an expression of ethnic pride. Nationalism and ethnicity are two separate things for the Chinese, given that so many have emigrated from China and settled down as citizens of different countries with very different national identities.

And I think the commentator Philip Bowring is seriously misinformed about Chinese identity if he actually believes that an ethnic conspiracy is at work behind the scenes. His assertion is almost as preposterous as that of Malaysia's Mahathir Mohamad, who once claimed that a Jewish conspiracy sparked the Asian financial crisis of 1998.
Old 2013-05-28, 03:38   Link #28578
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Right, it's a typical western confusion between differentiating the nationalism of PRC Chinese mainland, and the pride of being 華人・漢人 as a cultural, ethnic pride. Many Taiwanese very much identifies themselves as the latter.

To draw a comparison for Americans to identify, its similar to how many members of African-American community prides their origin and inheritance, but not at all emotionally attached to specific current nations in Africa.
Old 2013-05-28, 04:21   Link #28579
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Seriously I don't see any pride in being of any race when each and every race in this world has attempted to breed another out of existence somewhere in history.

Old 2013-05-28, 04:47   Link #28580
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. report says major weapons designs compromised by Chinese
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94R02720130528
Quote:
(Reuters) - Designs for more than two dozen major U.S. weapons systems have been compromised by Chinese hackers, a U.S. report said on Monday, as a news report in Australia said Chinese hackers had stolen the blueprints for Australia's new spy headquarters
Among the weapons listed in the report were the advanced Patriot missile system, the Navy's Aegis ballistic missile defense systems, the F/A-18 fighter jet, the V-22 Osprey, the Black Hawk helicopter and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
Quote:
Seriously I don't see any pride in being of any race when each and every race in this world has attempted to breed another out of existence somewhere in history.
As long as race is part of one's identity it's likely to be the case. It's the same thing with nationality and religion.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international