AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2008-12-13, 07:48   Link #101
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
It would be absolutely incredible to see Vyse and Aika in the anime, Skies is still one of my favorites. Given her popularity, I'd be shocked if Edie wasn't in the anime.

This is easily one of the best games this year in my opinion (perhaps the best, MGS4 being the main competition), I was interested ever since the very first teaser images came out showing off the Canvas art style and wonderful character design.

I can't wait to spend some more time with these characters with the anime.
Best games? Let's not get into that... There's like at least 20 or so top game candidates this year from all the consoles and I just had to get myself to play them all. And they're all great.

I only got a small hands on time with the game and it reminds me of some turn-strategy World War 2 games, but so much more streamlined and not herky-jerky with the grid system like so many strategy games like Disgaea or FFT games even. But overall, the art and music definitely was some of the most pleasing in the crop of 2008 games.

That said, I would love to see Vyse and Aika in the anime too. It'd be surreal since they don't even have Skies of Arcadia anime transition and they get a double the cameo from the game. I wish they do a Skies of Arcadia anime in the same quality of Tales of the Abyss. Looooooong stretch, but an anime cameo wouldn't be impossible I hope.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 09:21   Link #102
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
As soon as I saw her in the recruitment lists at the start of the game she was put straight into my squad!
She was the 4th sniper I got. I had to wait a while. In terms of the snipers I prefer Catherine a little more.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 13:15   Link #103
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That would be interesting to have Juno featured as a rival. I just hope they don't pull a normal harem anime and have him be totally indecisive.

Though I haven't finished the game yet, it's to my understanding that in the end...

Spoiler:

I could be wrong. It's just what I heard.
Yeah, that happens at the end. It'd just be interesting to watch Juno compete for Welkin's love and
Spoiler:
It'd add a nice level of romantic comedy to the show.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 13:43   Link #104
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Best games? Let's not get into that... There's like at least 20 or so top game candidates this year from all the consoles and I just had to get myself to play them all. And they're all great.

I only got a small hands on time with the game and it reminds me of some turn-strategy World War 2 games, but so much more streamlined and not herky-jerky with the grid system like so many strategy games like Disgaea or FFT games even. But overall, the art and music definitely was some of the most pleasing in the crop of 2008 games.

That said, I would love to see Vyse and Aika in the anime too. It'd be surreal since they don't even have Skies of Arcadia anime transition and they get a double the cameo from the game. I wish they do a Skies of Arcadia anime in the same quality of Tales of the Abyss. Looooooong stretch, but an anime cameo wouldn't be impossible I hope.
That's true that there were a ton of good games this year that could all qualify as top games, there were so many awesome ones that I enjoyed that it's really a very subjective choice this year with so much good stuff, so for me it's one of my favorites because my favorite genre by far are RPGS (traditional and srpg) and I absolutely loved this new advancement of the SRPG battle system (the mix of new and traditional was excellent) for Valkyria so it was my favorite RPG of the year, haven't gotten to play Persona 4 yet, and as I said it's my favorite genre of gaming (and MGS is one of my favorite series so I'd been looking forwards to the game a lot). Oh how I hope they use this game engine again. Anyway, as you said, not something to get into since there are a ton of games that could all qualify as some of the best of the year and that still wouldn't count all of the great games.

Yeah, a full Skies anime would have been great with all of the "character" that that adventure had. Now it makes me sad imagining some of the action and set pieces in Skies with the same quality as the new Tales of the Abyss anime, cause that would be awesome to revisit lol.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-12-14 at 22:50.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 09:14   Link #105
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm big into Persona 4. Excellent game, but in terms of newness in music/art and gameplay, Valkyria is tops. It basically flew out of nowhere, this game. And the anime to boot.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 10:39   Link #106
TrueKnight

They better not make Welkin into a pacifist. I also want my Alicia to have the in-game personality instead from the manga. The manga was just too hardcore for my taste.

As for best games, I have to admit. For me at least, this game is in my Top 3 RPG of the year. First spot is definitely Fallout 3, while Valkyria and Vesperia are second and third.

But VC as best game? Nah.. Many big titles this year actually deserves to be called the 'best'. GTA IV, MGS 4 and Fallout 3 are my overall 3 best though.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 12:49   Link #107
JagdPanther

Welkin as a pacifist would certainly ruin a lot of it.

I haven't read the manga (didn't even know there was one until recently), but how is Alicia different? Hardcore... like, crazy kill-every-Imp hardcore?

Old 2008-12-17, 13:31   Link #108
Runty

Quote:
Welkin as a pacifist would certainly ruin a lot of it.

I haven't read the manga (didn't even know there was one until recently), but how is Alicia different? Hardcore... like, crazy kill-every-Imp hardcore?
No, but she is certainly a lot more easily flustered when people talk about her and Welkin. There's also a scene where she apparently makes Timbits (or something similar, at least).

Jane, however, is just as "Imps must die" hardcore as ever. She actually gets a funny scene in the manga.

Another nice bit is Faldio being a ladies-man, especially to Alicia, and hopefully we'll get a love triangle between Welkin, Alicia, and Juno.

I hope a bunch of the manga and game stuff transfers into the anime.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 17:29   Link #109
JagdPanther

I'm not really a fan of "love triangles" and that; I'd only be okay with it if Welkin makes a legitimate decision at the end and the ending remains the same as the game. Indecisiveness irks me in anime.

Old 2008-12-18, 00:16   Link #110
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

The question of VC is that how big will the recruit bodycount be of squad 7, only Alicia, Welkin, Largo and Rosie can't die throughout the series. However, everyone else can permanently. die
Old 2008-12-18, 07:26   Link #111
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
The question of VC is that how big will the recruit bodycount be of squad 7, only Alicia, Welkin, Largo and Rosie can't die throughout the series. However, everyone else can permanently. die
LOL

That sounds like a line out of the game manual.

Old 2008-12-18, 08:13   Link #112
TrueKnight

^ More that count as a spoiler. :/
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 09:46   Link #113
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah no game spoilers please, especially in the anime thread. =/
Old 2008-12-19, 15:49   Link #114
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
^ More that count as a spoiler. :/
I'm not sure I'd count that as a spoiler...

I mean, if you pick up the game manual it tells you that. It's not giving away story.

Old 2008-12-19, 16:30   Link #115
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd count that as a spoiler...

I mean, if you pick up the game manual it tells you that. It's not giving away story.
Though it is a spoiler seeing as though this is the anime thread, and we're going to have quite a few people checking out this thread who haven't played the game.
Old 2008-12-19, 21:44   Link #116
JagdPanther

Great. I've been home for two nights now and I haven't touched VC at all. I completely forgot that it'd be bowl season when I got home and I'll do nothing but watch football for the next two weeks. Looks like VC is on the backburner for a while. D-1AA NC game right now and tomorrow 4 bowl games and the D-1 women's v-ball national championship match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Though it is a spoiler seeing as though this is the anime thread, and we're going to have quite a few people checking out this thread who haven't played the game.
True, it is game information.

But I still don't see how it qualifies as a spoiler of any kind. It's common knowledge (based on it being in the manual) about the game and does not divulge anything about plot.

Perhaps it then just assures that those characters won't die in the anime (if the producers want to be smart). And when it comes to anime, how often does anyone really die, anyway? lol Always seems like "dead" characters come back to life miraculously constantly.

Old 2008-12-23, 06:15   Link #117
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Knowing which character won't die is pretty plot revealing, you know.

And manuals don't say anything, Final Fantasy 7 listed Aeris as a main character in its manual, and we all know how that ended up...
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 17:02   Link #118
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Knowing which character won't die is pretty plot revealing, you know.

And manuals don't say anything, Final Fantasy 7 listed Aeris as a main character in its manual, and we all know how that ended up...
I'm willing to bet that most people would find it a lot more revealing that a character dies than that for gameplay they can't die.

Now that I'm home I have turned the voices over to English and I'm not sure I prefer them. I think maybe I got used to the Japanese voices.

Welkin's fits, Largo's fits... Alicia's... not so much. Sounds much different than I'd expect. Captain Varrot's sounds really weird.

I'll probably switch back over to Japanese because the American voices just don't fit, overall, to me.

But it is nice to understand what they're saying when it's a situation without subs. lol

Old 2008-12-25, 16:51   Link #119
Ryusei

I was absolutely overjoyed when i head about the anime adaptation of VC, it's by far my favourite game for 2008, and I'm definately looking forward to the series.

My hope is for a 26 episodes format. I'm afraid 12 episodes wouldn't allow for much expansion over the story of the game, while 26 would let the studio give us quite a deeper insight on the Gallian War. I'm pretty sick of short series that leave you wanting more anyway...

Guess I have to jump on the bandwagon of the Marina fans, anyway

On a side note, while the american VA for the game weren't that bad (even if some felt quite misplaced to me), the translation of the script was most definately abysmal, one of the worst i've seen lately. It completely changed quite a few scenes, not to mention the way characters behave with each other (one pretty clear example is how Isara interacts with Welkin). Pretty sad, to be honest.
Ryusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:25   Link #120
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei View Post
Guess I have to jump on the bandwagon of the Marina fans, anyway

On a side note, while the american VA for the game weren't that bad (even if some felt quite misplaced to me), the translation of the script was most definately abysmal, one of the worst i've seen lately. It completely changed quite a few scenes, not to mention the way characters behave with each other (one pretty clear example is how Isara interacts with Welkin). Pretty sad, to be honest.
I just know that Marina has usurped Catherine's position as my favorite sniper. Marina, for some reason, gets Ult. Accuracy EVERY time I take control of her now. She is just deadly. She's the only character who gets her best class potential every single use.

As for changing what's said, I have watched enough anime that I can pick up on certain words, tone, etc. and I've noticed that a lot of stuff just doesn't fit what's being said in the subtitles. I don't understand Japanese, but my grasp of the language is good enough to, when given some English words as cues, I can figure it out.

I'm thinking of going back to the Japanese VAs. It's nice to be able to completely understand all the little sayings attached to characters' potential activations, but as with what you said, I think it's just missing something.

Tags
sega