AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-15, 16:06   Link #121
Pengu

I am fine with sad stories and the episode about my favourite charater Akemi was so sad
But I thought this story went a little overboard in the end where everything dissappeares and everybody dies. Just didn't like that at all.
The story itself besides that is pretty good and it makes you wonder about some things.

I just didn't like Shuji one bit. He was so mean vs everyone. Treated Akemi like garbage all the time and also treated Chise with little respect. Selfish person who took out his anger, confusion etc on everyone else and acted the wrong way in so many instances.
Pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 16:21   Link #122
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
I just didn't like Shuji one bit. He was so mean vs everyone. Treated Akemi like garbage all the time and also treated Chise with little respect. Selfish person who took out his anger, confusion etc on everyone else and acted the wrong way in so many instances.
After reading the Manga, I suspect that Shuji hated himself for those same reasons. The volume of introspective moments was greatly reduced from the Manga to the Anime leaving Shuji's character quite one-dimensional. In fact, the same could be said about Chise and some others as well.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 16:31   Link #123
Pengu

Ya, I kinda agree with what you're saying
Pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 16:41   Link #124
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
Treated Akemi like garbage? not really.
there are various hints they respected a lot each other. you know, friends aren't lovey dovey all the time.
as for little respect with chise, i can't think anything else that shuji was pretty much human : he was hating himself because he couldn't consider chise as a human.
afraid of her, and of himself, and he knew that his fear will shatter the remnant of her humanity.
I can't see any guy who would be acting casually with her deadly girlfriend, who can kill him anytime, even without on purpose (as demonstrated on the automated defense, loosely effective on a earthquake). he was trying various approaches, and he ended with the last resolve.

as suggested by CandyVanMan, everyone else weren't white either : chise was seeking her own proof that she is still human (big selfishness with Tetsu), etc.
Heck, Fuyumi was the character who freaked me the most, but she wasn't "mean" or "bad" in the absolute way, though her selfishness was extremely big.
Old 2007-06-24, 16:52   Link #125
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Just got done watching it.

I was expecting a terrible anime. For years, I have avoided watching this. Why? My friends would tell me that it's not worth my time and the reviewers who labeled it "the worst anime ever" didn't help my perceptions on it. However, I was surprised by this title. There are a lot of good themes in the series. (Genuine love, human desires, making mistakes and existentialism)

I really liked how the characters were reminiscent of people in real life. People make mistakes and people can become fragile during certain times in their lives. There were no perfect characters; all of them had flaws and every single one of them had their own motivation for living. Tetsu is my favorite character by far. He was a strong willed character yet he had moments of weakness when he was around Chise. I like how he was a stoic hero on the battlefield and was a complete mess when he was around his "commander". =P

Shuji was annoying at first but I grew to like him. He transformed from an indifferent brat into a caring individual. He really cherished his friends except that he really sucked when bringing his emotions to the surface. (Note: A lot of us males are like this) And about people dying left and right; I wasn't surprised. The series was rooted in war so I kind of expected it.

Ah well, I enjoyed Saikano. Best anime ever? No, not even close. The worst? Psssht, nope. This was a good series and I thoroughly loved the ride. I probably won't watch the OVA as I really don't need more insight on the story but who knows? It's summer and this is the only time I get to watch anime like this. @_@
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 01:56   Link #126
Hagean

Masterpiece....I will never ever watch it again.
Hagean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 15:59   Link #127
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagean View Post
You just took the words out of my mouth.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 01:38   Link #128
aznxbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ahh well...i must again say that this is a really good classic tale of love and death...im getting that feeling again where a hammer has just whacked you on the chest...and i know...time heals all wounds *cheers to chise and shuji!*
Exactly. I feel so depressed after watching this anime, almost every episode after 5 or 6 just made me feel like shit. This is my first omgwtf SAD as hell anime.

*sigh* i really dont want to watch another anime like this but im actually pretty glad that i watched this one, it was very deep.
aznxbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 02:00   Link #129
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I found the saddest episodes were 9-10, when Shuji visited Akemi. Wow that was probably the saddest moment I've seen in anime, but I've seen lots of dramatic series.
Old 2007-06-28, 10:59   Link #130
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
I agree with the later part - i won't watch it again *sigh* once again i am left outside of the fence - I see the series as decent, but nothing beyond that. If there is one supposedly sad anime that failed to make me feel sad, Saikano has to be it, because the tragedy came across as forced, and some scenes were overblown in the melodrama department. But hey - i am happy that people seem to like it
Old 2007-06-28, 11:28   Link #131
Theowne
耳をすませば

I also won't watch it again, because I'm afraid to spoil the memory. I was a few years younger when I first watched it, and it was one of my first anime. Now that I've seen so much more and am also older, I might watch it again and find it forced/melodramatic like a lot of people say. Much better to leave it as a pleasant memory of a series, that affected me a lot at the time.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 13:55   Link #132
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ probably what sky's reaction is towards the series...with experience comes being picky about what you watch and dump the series that wastes your time...but as a good memory this series has to be one of them

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 23:08   Link #133
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I agree with the later part - i won't watch it again *sigh* once again i am left outside of the fence - I see the series as decent, but nothing beyond that. If there is one supposedly sad anime that failed to make me feel sad, Saikano has to be it, because the tragedy came across as forced, and some scenes were overblown in the melodrama department. But hey - i am happy that people seem to like it
Yep. Not really bad but it leaves a really strong aftertaste. At least Gunslinger Girl (the anime) ended with a glimmer of hope and the stories were bittersweet. Saikano, on the other hand, it like eating raw bitter melon.

While I don't think I'll be watching the series again like many other people here, listening to the OST is another matter altogether.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 01:25   Link #134
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
listening to the OST is another matter altogether
Yes, there are a few tracks I enjoyed from the OST. The main theme on piano and the regular version was nice, as well as the music during the first time they walk to school together - a very good flute-guitar piece. Very nostalgic, moody, and reminiscent of the unique atmosphere of the series. Ugh, now you've made me go digging through my soundtracks

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 20:21   Link #135
NaweG
Just some guy

Well, I just finished watching the series myself. One I only recently heard about, and it seemed to have a real interesting ranking on some other boards where it seems to often get best and worst ratings in equal numbers.

While my preference is for a happy ending, I have to say that I thought the ending was appropriate for the story. Once you get two sides in a war who literally can't afford to lose, you lose any hope of anyone winning. I would say the parallels to the MAD stategy of the 50s through 80s may well have been a target of this cautionary tale.

I liked it, and it's bittersweet in a good way as opposed to a certain "Nice Boat" series...
Old 2007-12-29, 21:53   Link #136
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Well, I just finished watching the series myself. One I only recently heard about, and it seemed to have a real interesting ranking on some other boards where it seems to often get best and worst ratings in equal numbers.

While my preference is for a happy ending, I have to say that I thought the ending was appropriate for the story. Once you get two sides in a war who literally can't afford to lose, you lose any hope of anyone winning. I would say the parallels to the MAD stategy of the 50s through 80s may well have been a target of this cautionary tale.

I liked it, and it's bittersweet in a good way as opposed to a certain "Nice Boat" series...
Yup, there are lots of ways to make a bittersweet ending that doesn't resort to making a nice boat ending. SaiKano and KgNE are the two very good examples.
Old 2007-12-29, 23:37   Link #137
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Sorry if I pass for a idiot, but what serie are you saying by ''KhNE""?
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 00:58   Link #138
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah View Post
PS I should have listened to the warning they gave me
Lol, the editor's note; "If you want a happy ending please do not watch the remaining episodes." When I saw that I continued it even though I knew the ending was going to be sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosho128 View Post
Ah well, I enjoyed Saikano. Best anime ever? No, not even close. The worst? Psssht, nope. This was a good series and I thoroughly loved the ride. I probably won't watch the OVA as I really don't need more insight on the story but who knows? It's summer and this is the only time I get to watch anime like this. @_@
Saikano in general was a good series. Maybe in about 3 years from now I would like to watch the series again. For the OVA I watched it and it was decent. I suggest if you loved the tv series, watch the OVA. In the OVA it gives a few answers you might have in my opinion.

Quote:
Lol, Saikano isn't a masterpiece but it deserves some recognition in my opinion.

I watched the anime first (since it was available) before the manga on the internet. When the manga was available for viewing, I immedietly started reading the manga. After I finished reading the manga, I was left with the same feelings the anime left me (in my thoughts is good). I'm getting all seven volumes of the manga and currently I have the first four volumes.

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:07   Link #139
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I thought it was...well okay it's one of the two anime in my top ten list that doesn't have 10/10 rating (masterpiece), but it came close. I'm not sure if this particular show can be considered "mecha," but it's only of the only mecha that I like, so saying that accomplishes a lot. I found many deep meanings in SaiKano that puts it above most other anime I watch, and it gives me a sense of reality using fiction, if that made any sense.

What editor's note? I didn't catch that.
Old 2008-03-24, 08:20   Link #140
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Sorry for asking, but if someone could post the lyrics of the sayonara song ( the ending song) please ?
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance